• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New phone number - SIM Card for Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionHeart7

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Hi,

I would like to ask you if you can help me with an opinion about SIM Card for my Camino.

I intend to use a Spanish phone number to call the albergues, or make a reservation and maybe to call to my new Camino friend:)

Can you tell me which Network is the best in Spain for https://www.caminolebaniego.com/inicio ?

Looking forward for your help

Lionheart7

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Moviestar has top coverage. But if you are not walking the Primitivo, or some other remote places, would say Orange, Vodaphone... are good.

I use Tuenti when I am in Spain, not only they offer cheap prepaid / no contract bundle - 7 euros for 1 Gb + 50 minutes talk in Spain and some other countries + 200 sms - but they have same coverage than Moviestar as they are using same network.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have some related questions about phone use in Spain; they will display my great tech ignorance. I have an iPhone 6, and at home in the US I use AT&T. My two year contract with them has expired (during which it is illegal to unlock the phone to change the SIM card). Can I now easily unlock the phone, and get a SIM card to use in Spain? Will that still give me access to all the apps I use at home? How do I do these things? (My previous phone was an iPhone3GS, and AT&T gave me the worst runaround imaginable when I asked them to unlock it for me after the contract expired.)

When my Verizon contract expired I asked to unlock my iPhone 4S and they did it right then. No questions asked. I bought a Orange sim in Spain and still have it, topping it off with $5 every year. Plan on using it when I return in Sept 17

Can I now easily unlock the phone, and get a SIM card to use in Spain? Will that still give me access to all the apps I use at home? How do I do these things?
Unlocking the phone just means that they enter some code to cancel a code that made it so your phone only worked with their system. They should unlock it now, although there could be a fee.

All your apps will continue to work as before, even when you insert a new SIM card. Only your phone number will change.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've got an iPhone 5s with a pretty messed up screen. ATT service, but month to month at this point. I don't understand what happens when I take the phone (or maybe a newer phone by my September Camino). Will I have to pay my $62/month American bill plus whatever plan I choose in Spain? Do people/can we put our home plans on "hold" while gone or...? What's best?

Thank you for your tips.
So Tuenti is a Spanish network, prepaid.

I forgot to mention but prepaid is the only option for me.

Another question: When you buy a new phone number (new sim card) is there a need to show my id?
Foreigners are allowed to buy a new number?

Lionheart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.