• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrim and need advice!

MoniRose

Time of past OR future Camino
(5/28-7/4, 2012) Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago
(7/22-8/2, 2013) Camino Finesterra
(?) Camino Le Puy
Hi All - I am planning on a June 2012 pilgrimage beginning in France. Here are some questions:
1. How many kms/day is reasonable? I am looking at an average of 20. Too many? Too few?
2. How big of a pack? I have Osprey Ariel 65 but think it might be too big. How about the Talon 44? Anyone have suggestions?
3. I am a woman traveling alone for the first time ever and I am scared to death but don't want that to stop me. Can anyone ease my fears about money, sleeping arrangements., when should I plan to get off the trail to find lodging, and is this even realistic for me to attempt?
4. What about communication? How can I stay in contact with family? phones, internet, satellite phone...
5. My kids plan to meet me for about the last 150 mi or so. How do I find them? What if I get delayed cuz of injuries, etc?
6. What about socks/shoes? Boots or just hiking shoes?

Sorry for so many questions. I feel like I'm out here on my own right now and I'm SO GRATEFUL for this forum!!! :shock:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place. You have the perfect attitude.

The good news is that all of your questions (which are very normal) have easy and positive answers.
I will leave it to others to respond directly to your concerns.
Buen Camino

Hi! Nerves good - quite usual, all is well :wink:

4. I'm a chap but have read in a number of places that the Camino Frances is the safest 'road' that a single woman can walk upon on the whole planet.

True there are occasional crimes but these are very rare. Spain has just one eighth the crime that the UK has! (Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that was down on the Costa del Vomit where a certain type of Brits go to over-drink and over-burn).
Keep to normal safety routines of course - never take a shortcut down a narrow alley or across a park in the dark, and so on .. but, out on the Camino? You will most likely feel more than safe, empowered.

The way the Camino works is that you get 'given' a group of people who are walking the same stages as you. You will lose them, bump into them again, share tales, drinks, food, tears, with them - and some may become lifelong friends. Had you started on another day it would have been a different set of people, strange really, if you think about it.
You will love it!!! :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi MoniRose
I walked the Camino Frances in 2008. I was a single female travelling alone, but never for very long! You will meet so many people (if you want to), there are lots of people by themselves or in groups and they are mostly very very friendly and happy to talk and help you if you need it!

Get one of the thin guidebooks for the Camino (this site's bookshop sells a light one http://www.csj.org.uk/) and have a read through to try to figure out where you might stay each night. You might not follow the plan, but at least you'll have an idea about what length of time you'll be walking each day/where you might stop. Most of the refuges are in towns, or at least easy to find. Most refuges have dorm-style rooms, but if you're feeling anxious sometimes you can get a private room, at least to start with.
It is nice to start walking in the morning, finish in a town around lunchtime, which will give you some time to relax and have a look around (or have a sleep) before dinner. 20km would probably be fine depending on how fast you walk.

Money - I'd recommend taking a debit/credit card with you and just taking out enough cash for a day or two rather than carrying lots of cash or travellers cheques (they're a pain!).

Keeping in contact - most places will have internet cafes so that you can email or skype you family and friends. Consider starting a blog so that you don't have to spend time emailing lots of people the same thing (unless you want to of course). There are public phones etc fairly widely available as well.

If you get delayed or injured and can't meet up with your kids when you need to, you can take a bus for some of the route. Be aware if you do this that you may not get a place in a refuge in the town that you end up in, people who have walked take precedence, so you may need to stay in a hotel that night.

You can walk as many or as few km as you like. I'd start off slowly and gradually build up (Day 2 and Day 3 were hard because my body was getting used to walking). Take rest days, enjoy yourself!
The only thing that I will say about being a female alone is that if you set off very early in the morning out of any of the bigger cities, it may make you feel safer if you try to walk with someone else. It shouldn't be a problem.

Take the smallest (most comfortable) pack that you can. Unless you're really disciplined about packing light its really easy to fill up a bigger pack.

People walk the trail in hiking boots, approach shoes (I did this, because they were lighter) or even trainers (may not be sturdy enough). Its up to you, but make sure you've done some walking in your shoes AND your socks before you start the camino. I got the most-recommended-amazing-bells-and-whistles woolen socks from a camping store, but found that my feet got too hot and swelled. When I switched and bought some cheap thin cotton socks I was much more comfortable. It depends on what you prefer.

It is only scary until you start. Once you get there you'll LOVE it! Have fun.

Monirose:

Km per day vary on the individual. If you are starting in SJPdP, I suggest you make a reservation and stay in Orisson the first night. It is only 8km but the first day climb is very steep. This would make the second day to Roncesvalles only 18km. It will be a very steep climb except for the final 3.5km which is a steep decline. If you start slowly it will make the first few days more enjoyable.

Not familar with the Talon 44 but it is the right size. Pack as light as possible. There are several list put together by folks on the forum. I suggest you read through them and see what works for you. Everyone packs too much. So go through your list several times before final packing. If you forget something you really need, you can definately purchase it in Spain.

Most people who walk the Camino have some level of anxiety prior to walking. There is really not much to worry about. The trails are well marked. There will always be others to walk with if you choose too. Most Albergues are right on the Camino and do not require deviations off the trail. They will vary in size from large dorms of 100 to smaller rooms of 10 or so. If you find dormitory life difficult there are many private albergues and Pensions for a few more Euros. A typical day cost about 25-30 Euros. Breakfast 3 Euros, Lunch 5 Euro's, Dinner 7-10 Euro's, Albergue 5-10 Euro's. These are rough numbers.

The Camino is, in my opinion, for anyone who wants to walk it.

Most towns or Albergues have internet connections. So you should have access to internet most days. As far as phone calls, Check with your current provider to see what your options might be. You are never really alone on the Camino.

As far as meeting your Children, this is something you are going to have to work out and will depend on where they are coming from. I do not think it will be difficult to find them. Most of these cities are small and the Camino is well known by the residents.

In regards, to boots, I recommend you go to an REI store and get fitted for a pair. There is a thread on equipment that discusses this subject. This, in my opinion, is very important because as your feet go so goes your Camino.

This forum should help you feel less alone prior to your departure. There will be many Pilgrims along the trail to keep you company in Spain.

Pack light, start slowly and the Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

good posts - when buying boots take a nice thick pair of socks with you and go in the afternoon (your feet are smaller in the morning). Your foot size will go up by about one size after a few days walking, especially if you do tarmac. so don't buy boots that 'just fit'. A good shop will be quite happy for you to wear them in their shop for an hour or so - don't be fast, be patient, choose well.

Weigh everything - including the pack you want to take! You will read on this forum and other forums "pack light, take only what you need" but you won't believe it - no one does first time. you will add in items that will come in handy, you might need, and so on. for a one day walk this is about ok, but walking day after day after day after day after day after day you will develop a strong relationship with what you are carrying - an anti-relationship if you have too much!

When you arrive at Roncesvalles you will find the "free, help yourselves" shelves absolutely filled with things people have discarded from their rucksacks! So - believe this - pack light!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Monirose

Great advice from previous posts. I think your hunches are right about the distance to walk each day and backpack size etc. Boots or shoes is a personal preference (lightweight boots for me).

I'd be more worried about doing the Camino with someone else rather than doing it alone! You'll always have as much or as little company as you want, but you won't have to fit in around anyone else's walking speed, accommodation preferences etc.

Your biggest challenge is probably meeting up with your children. You'll find them easily enough, but getting the timings right is the difficult bit. I think you'll have to be clear in your mind about what is important to you. For me it was important to walk every step of the way, but others were happy to get a bus/train etc if they were running to a tight schedule. I'd just suggest getting a good guide book and trying to work it out as best you can. If you or your children end up having to wait for a day or so for the other to arrive, well, there are worse places in the world to be!

Buen Camino!

Keith

tyrrek said:
Hi Monirose
preferences etc.

Your biggest challenge is probably meeting up with your children. You'll find them easily enough, but getting the timings right is the difficult bit. I think you'll have to be clear in your mind about what is important to you. For me it was important to walk every step of the way, but others were happy to get a bus/train etc if they were running to a tight schedule. I'd just suggest getting a good guide book and trying to work it out as best you can. If you or your children end up having to wait for a day or so for the other to arrive, well, there are worse places in the world to be!

Buen Camino!

Keith

Hello MoniRose, Welcome,
Sounds great, & they could always walk a day out to you if you were 2 days behind,
I start mine/ours on April 1st. You sound like you're on the right tracks! The John Brierley guide is the one 'everyone uses' is also available on Amazon; . It is being updated but you can get the updates of the internet.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilgrims-Guide- ... pd_sim_b_2
http://www.caminoguides.com/latest.html.

It's wonderful planning been doing it for just over a month now, & yes trying to throw away stuff before you even pack it is challenging, not taking any electronics!! No Camera even!

All true. And if you do want some photos just buy a disposable flash camera at any supermarket and when it is used up post it home and buy another one. They are small and light and cheap and you can never lose more than one set of photos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Monirose!

I walked with my daughter last year from StJPP. Never a worry about safety (she was oft times behind me by several miles) Just want to put in a suggestion for waterproof boots. We left from StJPP on JUne 13th and we had 4 days straight of rain. Thank God our boots were waterproof. The mud was beyond belief. I recommend REI as well, and Merrell Chameleons. Very light and sturdy. I'm on my second pair now. I love them. But its a personal choice for footwear so REI will have so many options for you.

The other thing is that I would never go without a camera. My photos are a treasure to me- all the people I met, and the places we walked and ate and slept. It keeps the Camino very much alive for me every day. My digital camera was tiny, barely weighed anything. I kept it attached to my pack belt and whipped it out constantly. I bought and 8GB chip before I left, so I never even had to download/unload any pictures along the way. But again- another personal decision.

Thirdly, I think 20K per day is quite reasonable- as an average. Your first couple of days, no. You probably won't (and shouldn't) average that. Build up slowly. after about a week, you will be easily doing more than that. After 2 weeks, even more. You'll see. Just listen to your body and your feet.

As for scared to death, every first time Pilgrim gets nervous, but you will look back and laugh at yourself when you get to the end of your trip. Or even at the end of the first week. There are so many people to guide you along your way that all those questions that you have now, if they're not answered on this forum before you leave, they'll be answered by your fellow Pilgrims along the Way.

I met up with friends who started with me in Leon. If you find yourself falling behind schedule, or needing to take some time off because of your feet, just catch a bus to make up the lost Ks. Just pick a day and an albergue to meet at; as was suggested, have them wait or walk backwards to you.

Finally- listen to the advice here about packing light. It is very important. I had to send 5 kilos ahead to Santiago; the weight was killing me and my Camino.

Nuf said from me!!

'Cept for Buen Camino!!

First off, welcome to the Forum & Buen Camino!

Second, as a woman who has walked the Camino (or parts of it) three times solo, I can tell you that provided you follow the usual safety tips you do at home, you should be safe on the Camino. There will be many others walking along with you & you can join up with them as you like.

Third, always pack light! Don't fall into the trap of "I might need this, so I'll carry it." Chances are you won't need it OR you can find it along the Way if need arises.

Fourth, as for meeting up with your children, there are many places along the way where you can access the internet, so you can keep in touch with them via email or Skype or what have you. :) If you know the town they will meet you in, you can arrange to meet "at the albergue" or make reservations at a hotel & meet there.

Buen Camino!

Kelly

Everyone has given you good advice. I would echo the need to reserve a bed at Orisson for the first night. Though it is only 8 km, it seemed to me to be straight up! Second night in Roncesvalles and I was still in pretty good shape, but on the third day, the soreness hit and by the time I got to Zubiri, I was barely able to move. So unless you are very used to the hills, be prepared to slow up to allow your body to adjust. While I hated the idea of "cheating", I ended up taking a bus from Zubiri to Pamplona and found the next day I was much better. I am a 61 year old woman who is reasonably fit, but not accustomed to walking hills. Never once did I feel fearful for my safety.

If for some reason you decide to take a rest day in some town and plan to stay in a private pension one night, make it the first night--so you can take advantage of sleeping in the next day and checking out late. By then you can go to the albergue and check in where you can leave your pack while you explore. The second morning you will want to leave early to begin walking anyway.

I didn't really understand the timing of meals in Spain. Because I usually walked until around 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon, by the time I got in, showered, did laundry, etc., everything was closed. Then I often had to wait until 7:00 or after for a real meal. If I had eaten my main meal at lunch, then a smaller meal earlier in the evening would have been about right.

Before I left, I gave family a 1 page map of the Camino Frances, showing towns along the way. Then when I sent an email every day or two, they could see what progress I was making. It was particularly helpful for my 87-year old mother who felt more involved that way.

And finally, my zeal for pursuing detours and lodging off the path diminished as I progressed. In Puenta la Reina, I realized that if an albergue was 1000 meters up a steep hill, I was better off staying in one on the trail. I don't think I ever had to go off trail to find lodging.

Keep asking your questions. I would recommend getting Sillydoll's book "Your Camino" as a planning book.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
THANK YOU ALL!

Well, my journey has definitely begun. I no longer have fear about starting in France, only excitement and gratitude for the time to learn a little of the languages before I go. I am reading "El Camino de Santiago: Rites of Passage" by Wayne Chimenti and it, along with all of your advice, has calmed many of my fears.
I'll continue to check in and trust that, ultimately, the Camino will tell me what I need to do.
Forward - :arrow: - Monica

The only part I am a little concerned about right now is getting from Paris to Roncevalles. It seems the first leg from SJPP isn't as much travelled, supported, or marked. Did anyone take that route? Am I being overly concerned? I've been advised to take it in two days, stopping in Orisson, then Roncevalles the 2nd day. How do I go about making reservations in Orisson?
Thanks for all your support!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
If I were to suggest to anyone considering a walk along the Way, I would send them to this thread. Why, you might ask?
1. You’ve asked the right questions.
2. You’ve received answers that touch on each question in a straight forward, insightful and accurate approach.
3. You now know some of the more knowledgeable and vociferous members of the Forum.
As to your question on starting in SJPDP and then up to Roncesvalles. Do consider taking this route. The walk is a bit tiring, but the views are fantastic and Orisson the perfect place to stop, admire the fantastic view and enjoy one of the best pilgrim dinners you’ll encounter along the Way.
Here is contact information for Orisson:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/
Also, try this email:

refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
They close the end of October and open again the 1st of April.
While in SJPDP, consider this hostal:
http://www.espritduchemin.org
This short YouTube video will give you a feel for the atmosphere in SJPDP and the gite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhmLYLOwE0
Buen Camino
Arn

MoniRose said:
The only part I am a little concerned about right now is getting from Paris to Roncevalles. It seems the first leg from SJPP isn't as much travelled, supported, or marked. Did anyone take that route? Am I being overly concerned? I've been advised to take it in two days, stopping in Orisson, then Roncevalles the 2nd day. How do I go about making reservations in Orisson?
Thanks for all your support!

From Paris, you can take the train to SJP & from there a taxi to Roncesvalles (if you choose to start there), or you can fly from CDG or Orly to Bayonne (Air France or EasyJet---just make sure you know which airport you're departing from), then take the bus from the airport (trust me, you won't be the only one) to the train station, take the train to SJP, & from there a taxi to Roncesvalles (again, if that is where you want to start).

Depending on when you are going, there should be many people heading out from SJP. If Orisson has closed for the season, you can go the Valcarlos route & overnight it there. Valcarlos has an albergue, as well as 2 pensiones to stay at. When I walked that way, I stayed at Casa Marcelino & thought it was a good value for my money.

**on edit** If you still want to go the Route Napoleon after Orisson is closed but can't make it in 1 day, you can always take a taxi up to where the Camino diverges from the road & walk from there. I know some consider that "cheating," but really, you wouldn't be the first person to do this, nor the last.
Kelly

Q3: During my camino between 7sept and 7oct2011: around 65% of the walkers were female. Many of the female walkers were alone.
Q4: Another hint for you and all the other members of this forum. Call cheap and buy a international calling card in an estanco (tabaco shop). Price is 5€. Specify your destination because there are something like 5 diffrent types. Some of the cards are interesting for Europe, others for Latin America,...
Search a public TELEPHONICA phone. Don't insert money. Dial the free 800 or 900 number. [Sometimes the TELEFONICA phone will react late on the first dialed digit]
Enter the pin and the destination.
(+) With the "Azul card", I had 70 minutes to Belgian fixed lines (lesser minutes to cellular phones).
The initial credit during a call is something like 20 minutes, so call for at least 20 minutes during a call.
(-) You will not find public TELEPHONICA phones in small villages.
Q5: Consider León at 197miles - 317km from Santiago. If you are behind, your family can visit the city during two days for the ancient part and may be a third day for shopping.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Female pilgrims are still a slight minority. For September 2011, the exact number was:
De estos peregrinos, 11.407 (43,86%) son mujeres y 14.601 (56,14%) hombres.
I have found that most of the female pilgrims are walking alone. Even when you meet them in groups, it often turns out that they are merely in an ad hoc group that walks at a similar pace. I suspect though, that Spanish women do walk in groups, but they do not mix too much with the foreigners, so perhaps my observation is most applicable to foreign women. You won't be alone except when you want to be. Have fun.

It is not necessary to go off the route for accommodations. There are hotels, hostales, rooms, and albergues everywhere along the way. You can choose from them without venturing out on your own.

Get footwear that fits properly now, and get it well worked-in before you leave.

Buen Camino.

"De estos peregrinos, 11.407 (43,86%) son mujeres y 14.601 (56,14%) hombres."
=> Agree, if you take in account the cyclists. The big majority of the cyclists are male. I would say 85%, isn't it?
Also during September 2011, the month of my camino, during the last "commercial" 100km I noticed more male (Spanish) walking peregrinos.

How might I fare regarding language. In the book I'm reading, the author says he encountered very few Americans. I'm guessing if I don't have a language it might be a quiet walk with regards to conversation. What are your experiences/recommendations? I want to be prepared but I don't want to be so prepared that it destroys some of the experience. - Monica :?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Monica:

My experience has been that you just need a basic understanding of Spanish. The Brierley guide has a number of key/common phrases that are useful. There is a thread that addresses this subject.

Most Pilgrims do speak some level of English at least on the Frances. I would go so far as to say that English is the 2nd language of the Camino. That said, I would try to learn some basic Spanish. Please, thank you, where is the bathroom?, Do you have a menu in English?, etc.

Ultreya,
Joe

Okay. Just thought of this....
What about health insurance when traveling abroad? Does US insurance cover this or is there something out there for travelers that others have purchased for this purpose? Is medical help available en route?

MoniRose said:
Okay. Just thought of this....
What about health insurance when traveling abroad? Does US insurance cover this or is there something out there for travelers that others have purchased for this purpose? Is medical help available en route?

Your U.S. medical insurance will not cover you. There may be an exception but I have never encountered one.
I use Travel Guard and you can find it as well as others on line. The main thing is to get coverage for medical and evacuation should that be needed.
There is a thread somewhere that discusses this if you want to search for it.

Through AAA, I got insurance:
Administered By: INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL GROUP, INC. as agent for the Insurer; Insurer: SIRIUS INTERNATIONAL INSURANCE CORPORATION
The premium for 3 weeks was $98.56. The most important part was the coverage for transportation home, which can be extremely expensive for some medical events. The premium is not much larger for a longer term. Routine medical care is so much less expensive in Spain and France (compared to the U.S. with our "Socialized Medicine" :mrgreen: ) that I would not buy insurance for that reason alone.

Monica:

I have Blue cross Blue shield PPO. I called before I left and they provided me with a letter for contacts if needed. They said, I would need no additional coverage. On my first Camino this was put to the test and my provider reimbursed every penny. The plan also covered medical transport home but this was not tested.

I would recommend you call and speak with your provider prior to purchasing any additional plan.

Ultreya,
Joe

Is vascillating normal? I'm reading someone's journal of their experience. One day....excited and confident, the next.....discouraged. One day..."I can do this! Why not?", the next..."WHAT AM I THINKING?!" Anyone else go thru this? I guess it's part of the journey....... - M :?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ha ha!

Very normal. I would say inevitable. Who wakes up every morning for over a month thinking they'd like to walk 20 or 25km? As you say, it's part of the journey. It's a discipline. It's a vulnerability and a reliance on the support and friendship of other pilgrims. It draws on the reasons why you wanted to do it in the first place; the challenge, the discovery, and tuning in with your body's needs and capabilities. That's what makes your journey and arrival in Santiago so special.

Can you imagine a Camino where every day was just like a walk in the park? That wouldn't be much of an achievement. As the tacky t-shirts in Santiago say: 'Sin dolor no hay gloria' (without pain there is no glory).

It will be amazing in many ways.

Buen Camino!

Keith

The Camino........just a metaphor for life.

Hi Monica

I think for many people it is, but you'll find very personal meanings and interpretations of your Camino. They will be totally unique. All to look forward to!

Buen Camino!

€60,-
Thanks, Keith, et al. - M :)

Monirose:

A couple of analogies I use when describing the Camino.

Waking up in the Twilight zone. You find yourself in a foreign environment without your normal support group. It takes a little time to get used to the lack of clutter/distractions that usually bombard your senses in daily life. In walking the Camino you are changing a habit or addiction and it takes at least 3 weeks to clear your mind to be open to thinking w/o distraction.

The other analogy I use is the movie "Groundhog day". You keep waking up in a similar environment and doing the same things over and over until you learn what you are supposed to learn. The first few weeks are a roller-coaster of emotions between the beauty of the Camino (nature, new friendships etc.) and the challenges (physical and being out of our comfort zone).

Most of us who walk the Camino are looking for something. We might or might not know what we believe we want. The Camino allows us to find what we need by getting rid of the clutter in our daily lives. Paraphrasing Mick Jagger.

Be not afraid Monirose. Pack light, start slowly and enjoy the Camino ride.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ah - that really puts it in a nutshell. I like that.

John Lennon once said that "life is what happens to you while you are making other plans" The Camino experience is a bit like that :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You're all so very sweet......and encouraging. Thank you. - M :arrow:

MoniRose said:
Is vascillating normal? I'm reading someone's journal of their experience. One day....excited and confident, the next.....discouraged. One day..."I can do this! Why not?", the next..."WHAT AM I THINKING?!" Anyone else go thru this? I guess it's part of the journey....... - M :?

I think so. I know that I did, and I am doing it again as I plan for my pilgrimage next year.

I whole-heartedly agree: it's not uncommon to have some real swings in mood from day to day. Or even, on the same day! You will be thrilled and excited by some view or experience, and then frustrated or dispirited by some pain or exhaustion or odd encounter. Partly it takes the body several days to adapt to your new activity level; many people have commented that the first week is the hardest for this reason. Partly it takes several days to realize what baggage you truly don't need, that can be discarded or shipped on. Partly it is learning what daily distance feels good and how far is too far.

And majorly it is this vulnerable space of being in the pilgrim state, in a foreign locale and out of one's comfort zone. I think perhaps we are more aware of our inner life when we are on the camino, unplugged form the distractions of media, friends, family, and work.

So yes, we all experience ups and downs. It seems to be part of the territory -- not to be worried about but to be learned from.

Hi everyone
I've just joined this Forum as a Kiwi from downunder and devouring all the information so readily being shared by others. Thanks for also dispelling some of my anxieties thru replies to others.
I'm starting walking 08 Sept 2012 from SJPP and plan to book my first night in Orisson, on the advice of others.
My question is that with all the hundreds of others also leaving daily in September, how can I be confident of securing a place in Roncesvalles, which I understand has room for 120 in the auberge.
Is that the only accomodation available there?
The last thing I want to do is to become a participant of an"Amazing Race" each day to secure a bed. Nor do I want to become a member of the "rustling plastic bags early morning brigade" that other pilgrims have mentioned elsewhere.
I intend to stop to take photos along the way and don't want my focus to become only a bed for that night.
So how does the maths work out for a bed in Roncesvalles for my 2nd night please?
Yvonne

There may be two albergues open by then in Roncesvalles. When the new one opened, the old one closed for renovations. It may be finished by fall of next year. There are two hotels in town as well. Burguete is three kilometers past Roncesvalles for overflow. I think all accommodations there are hotels, once of which has Hemingway's piano. Hotel costs are not high, but you may need reservations because they do fill up.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Yvonne

The maths of the Camino confused me, especially towards the end. On leaving Sarria there seemed to be thousands of people walking, but within a day or so the numbers appeared to have dwindled significantly. I'm sure almost everyone was still walking somewhere, but it's amazing how the 'pilgrim traffic' spreads itself out!

For a reason I can't remember (not lack of albergue space) I stayed in a hostal in Roncesvalles called La Posada. Very nice but not the cheapest I found along the Way. From what I heard the albergue in the monastery was also nice.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
tyrrek said:
The maths of the Camino confused me, especially towards the end.

And it still continues to confuse me :) And not just nearer to Santiago. I've walked into places like Puente la Reina only having seen a few pilgrims on the way to find the albergues filling up then next day back to only seeing a few people again. Most weeks I am out on a camino route for at least a few hours - two weeks ago I was chatting to a couple of pilgrims as they approached Monte de Gozo, 5 kms from the city. I happened to be in the Pilgrims' Office two days later when they arrived complete with kit.

Pilgrims, particularly Spanish Galician pilgrims come and go on the camino all the time. They walk for a few days then go home to return weeks or months later. Others I am sure will also have found that weekends are particularly busy and then the numbers dwindle again.

Mysteries of the Camino :)

falcon269 said:
There may be two albergues open by then in Roncesvalles. When the new one opened, the old one closed for renovations. It may be finished by fall of next year. There are two hotels in town as well. Burguete is three kilometers past Roncesvalles for overflow. I think all accommodations there are hotels, once of which has Hemingway's piano. Hotel costs are not high, but you may need reservations because they do fill up.

The albergue at the monastery in Roncesvalles is huge and a good place to stay as it is sectioned off into small cubicles with 4 beds per cubicle. You will easily get a place there. I walked from SJPDP in one day in May and had no problem with accommodation, despite the large number of pilgrims starting off from there in May. The next stop, Zubiri, was a problem as it was full by 2.30 pm but I am sure that it will less crowded in September.

I plan to leave end of May and will be walking into July. Has anyone done the walk during this time. I expect heat, but wondering what the temps might be at night. I know it may depend on the terrain. I'm thinking sleeping bag and sleeping blanket, one long pair pant and one short. Same with one long sleeve and one short. And rain jacket, of course. Any advice? - M :arrow:

€83,-
Hi Monica

This is so difficult to answer. You may have warmth or cold in spring. I was there April-May this year, so a little bit earlier than you're planning. I suggested to another peregrina (also travelling April-May) that a compact sleeping bag should be enough. You may have a particularly chilly night, in which case the albergue might have blankets. If not you can go to bed in socks and fleece! If it's too warm, do whatever modesty allows!

Everyone's idea of warm and cold is different so there's no definite answer. Remember it's Spain in spring - not the Arctic - and the altitudes you'll reach aren't that great (although they may feel like that when you're climbing them! :D ). Follow all the good advice on this forum and don't be tempted to take extra clothes, bedding etc 'just in case'. If you find you're consistently uncomfortable you can get what you need in Spain.

Buen Camino!

Edit: p.s. I saw your blog and look forward to following it. Keep us posted with your planning and camino!

Thanks, Tyrrek. :)

Hi, I'm gypsyscholz. I am planning a pilgrimage alone as a thank you for my daughter being able to go to university and graduate. I wil be walking the camino in June and July 2013 after her graduation. I would like advice on training and planning on how many miles/kilometers I must walk each day to complete in 6 weeks. I am 56 years old but will be 58 when i travel. I would also like to know how much money OI must save for the journey. I can carry a sleeping bad and mat and small one person tent if necessary. But really jusst want to walk and pray and sleep where I can find space. As far as food goes, each toen I assume has small family owned restaurnats to eat in. Or i am a cook b y profession. I can trade a sleweping space for cooking and slean up ablility.
This is something i have wanted to do for a while so I am starting to get excited for the adventure,
gypsy! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will need to walk only about 15 km per day to complete the Camino Frances in six weeks. It will cost about 30 Euro per day, less if you cook your own food. There are plenty of bars and restaurants for food. Almost all albergues require that you have a sleeping bag, but it only needs to be a light one except in the winter. Hotels will supply sleeping linen. You will never use a sleeping mat or tent unless you want to camp. It is good to help out at all the volunteer-run accommodations, but only a few actually trade lodging for services. If you are without funds, there are many lodgings that ask only for donations. Donate if you can; don't feel guilty if you can't.

Take it easy at the start even if you have trained extensively. You will thank yourself later. Remember, you will be walking a half-marathon daily for over a month, so it is physically demanding. Your capability will surprise you as the weeks pass. Have fun, and buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back