• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrim, quick questions about packing

Connor

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Hey everyone,
Thanks in advance for the help. I would like input on packing or not packing certain items.
To Pack or not to Pack:
Mosquito Repellant?
Rubbing Alcohol?
Compeed?
more than 3 pairs of undergarments?
long pants for church?
collared shirt?
flip flops for albergue showers?
sleeping bag liner?
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey everyone,
Thanks in advance for the help. I would like input on packing or not packing certain items.
To Pack or not to Pack:
Mosquito Repellant?
Rubbing Alcohol?
Compeed?
long pants for church?
collared shirt?
sleeping bag liner?
Hi Connor, question from me, what time of the year do you want to walk. ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife, son and I are also planning to go starting in Roscenvalles on June 30. Would love to know what the sleeping liner response is.

Connor, are you taking a sleeping bag? In June I would take the liner and leave the bag home
Leave the alcohol home
If the mosquito repellant can be taken on the plane I would take it as bedbug protection
I personally done like shorts in church but pilgrims do wear them.
You can leave the collared shirt home
Spray the outside of your pack and treat your sleep sack before you go and leave the permethrin home
3 underwear is plenty

You might want to read my blog on bedbugs so you recognize the signs

Have a very Buen Camino!

Hey everyone,
To Pack or not to Pack:
Mosquito Repellant?
Rubbing Alcohol?
Compeed?
long pants for church?
collared shirt?
sleeping bag liner?
When you use Compeed don't use it on open blisters. Best way than is to tape it. Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey everyone,
To Pack or not to Pack:
Mosquito Repellant?
Rubbing Alcohol?
Compeed?
long pants for church?
collared shirt?
sleeping bag liner?
Hi Connor! :)
I'm about to walk my first Camino in August, but I feel comfortable answering some of your questions because I had some wonderful people from this site help me.

Flip flops- yes, pack them. Plus, you'll want to wear something open that are not your hiking shoes in the afternoons/evenings. So they can work as both!

Sleeping bag liner- yes, pack it. Most albergues will have a blanket, but it's good to bring something of your own that is treated for bed bugs. I'm taking a sleeping bag, but it's because I'm always cold.

Permethrin-anti-bed bug protection- no, don't pack it. Treat your backpack, sleeping liner & clothes before starting your Camino. It should be effective for 6 weeks. If you need more while you're walking, buy local.

More than 3 pairs of under garments- no, don't pack. 3 should be enough. Wear one, wash one & then the 3 is a back up.

Long pants & collared shirt- yes, pack them. You probably want to take 1 long sleeve shirt & 1 pair of long pants that you can both hike in & wear around town. If they don't function as both, them leave them at home. Having had a catholic upbringing, I know my mom would be mortified if I walked into a church in shorts & a tank top, lol. & my dad, who is basically a wilderness & outdoor expert, would always tell me it's important to minimize the amount of skin you are exposing to the elements if you're out there for a long period of time.

Mosquito Repellant- no, don't pack it. Pack a few repellant bracelets, or something small. You can also buy it locally if you get there & need it.

Rubbing Alcohol? No, don't pack it.

Compeed- yes, pack it. I am going to be taking a stick of Body Glide & using that on my feet daily. I've been told prevention is best & that it works, so I'm going to recommend it to you.

Keep your first aid kit small & ultra basic. Spain pharmacies & stores will have anything else you need.

Hope my suggestions help! Enjoy your journey!

Hi Connor! :)
I'm about to walk my first Camino in August, but I feel comfortable answering some of your questions because I had some wonderful people from this site help me.

Flip flops- yes, pack them. Plus, you'll want to wear something open that are not your hiking shoes in the afternoons/evenings. So they can work as both!

Sleeping bag liner- yes, pack it. Most albergues will have a blanket, but it's good to bring something of your own that is treated for bed bugs. I'm taking a sleeping bag, but it's because I'm always cold.

Permethrin-anti-bed bug protection- no, don't pack it. Treat your backpack, sleeping liner & clothes before starting your Camino. It should be effective for 6 weeks. If you need more while you're walking, buy local.

More than 3 pairs of under garments- no, don't pack. 3 should be enough. Wear one, wash one & then the 3 is a back up.

Long pants & collared shirt- yes, pack them. You probably want to take 1 long sleeve shirt & 1 pair of long pants that you can both hike in & wear around town. If they don't function as both, them leave them at home. Having had a catholic upbringing, I know my mom would be mortified if I walked into a church in shorts & a tank top, lol. & my dad, who is basically a wilderness & outdoor expert, would always tell me it's important to minimize the amount of skin you are exposing to the elements if you're out there for a long period of time.

Mosquito Repellant- no, don't pack it. Pack a few repellant bracelets, or something small. You can also buy it locally if you get there & need it.

Rubbing Alcohol? No, don't pack it.

Compeed- yes, pack it. I am going to be taking a stick of Body Glide & using that on my feet daily. I've been told prevention is best & that it works, so I'm going to recommend it to you.

Keep your first aid kit small & ultra basic. Spain pharmacies & stores will have anything else you need.

Hope my suggestions help! Enjoy your journey!
Thanks for the help, the advice is greatly appreciated. I hope your camino goes well.
Buen Camino,
Connor

Connor, are you taking a sleeping bag? In June I would take the liner and leave the bag home
Leave the alcohol home
If the mosquito repellant can be taken on the plane I would take it as bedbug protection
I personally done like shorts in church but pilgrims do wear them.
You can leave the collared shirt home
Spray the outside of your pack and treat your sleep sack before you go and leave the permethrin home
3 underwear is plenty

You might want to read my blog on bedbugs so you recognize the signs

Have a very Buen Camino!
Thanks for your advice, greatly appreciated.
Buen Camino,
Connor

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey everyone,
To Pack or not to Pack:
Mosquito Repellant?
Rubbing Alcohol?
Compeed?
long pants for church?
collared shirt?
sleeping bag liner?

No to all the above. Take one pair of shorts and a pair of long trousers that you can zip the bottoms off to make another pair of shorts. Take one t shirt and one short sleeve shirt, and rinse the t shirt each evening after walking. I bought some Spanish slip-on shoes for after walking that were ideal, buy one or two sizes bigger than you are as your feet will be larger and may have blisters. Forget everything else, worries about bed bugs. If you have a problem, buy a solution when you are out here.

I'm all for a shirt with a collar. The ones I have have an extra fold to protect the neck (craghoppers). Men tend to have short hair and the neck is exposed, especially after lunch time when the sun may be behind you. On the other hand you could wear a bandanna or a hat that has a neck protector (think foreign legion).

your list
Mosquito Repellant? - Yes!
Rubbing Alcohol? Don't think so; drinking alcohol, yes!
Compeed? - Yes or a blister kit of some sort, a neat little first aid kit
more than 3 pairs of undergarments? - No!!
long pants for church? - many pilgrims enter church as they are, it is quite informal and they tend to look at the heart, not the clothes - zip-off trousers are great! (there is no record of Jesus turning someone away because of what they were wearing).
collared shirt? - For me, yes, for others - a bandanna.
flip flops for albergue showers? - Yes, and strolling in the garden and over to the bar.
sleeping bag liner? - Yes, but you seem to be going in hot weather so unless you bag is micro light, leave it at home - you can always wear all your clothes if you get cold.
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection? - dunno. Never have myself (but I am an idiot) - I have heard of folk spraying their liner before they go.

Buen Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm all for a shirt with a collar. The ones I have have an extra fold to protect the neck (craghoppers). Men tend to have short hair and the neck is exposed, especially after lunch time when the sun may be behind you. On the other hand you could wear a bandanna or a hat that has a neck protector (think foreign legion).

your list
Mosquito Repellant? - Yes!
Rubbing Alcohol? Don't think so; drinking alcohol, yes!
Compeed? - Yes or a blister kit of some sort, a neat little first aid kit
more than 3 pairs of undergarments? - No!!
long pants for church? - many pilgrims enter church as they are, it is quite informal and they tend to look at the heart, not the clothes - zip-off trousers are great! (there is no record of Jesus turning someone away because of what they were wearing).
collared shirt? - For me, yes, for others - a bandanna.
flip flops for albergue showers? - Yes, and strolling in the garden and over to the bar.
sleeping bag liner? - Yes, but you seem to be going in hot weather so unless you bag is micro light, leave it at home - you can always wear all your clothes if you get cold.
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection? - dunno. Never have myself (but I am an idiot) - I have heard of folk spraying their liner before they go.

Buen Camino!!
Thank you for the advice, buen camino!
Connor

Connor,

Based on walking July/Aug. 2014. YMMV.

Mosquito Repellant? No--saw only one. Swatted it. So that should mean they are now extinct on the Camino. ;)
Rubbing Alcohol? No
Compeed? Yes, although they did not work for me. But they worked for lots of people.
more than 3 pairs of undergarments? I'd take 2. Was one wear one. My wife did the whole thing with one pair.
long pants for church? Long pants for the sun. It is really intense. I never took the legs off from my convertible pants
collared shirt? Collared or not, long sleeves for the sun, as above. Big, wide brimmed hat too.
flip flops for albergue showers? No. If the showers are really bad, throw your dirty clothes on the floor as a kind of pre-washing (you are going to wash them after you take a shower anyway). Should you get athletes foot (we didn't), underarm deodorant will take care of it.
sleeping bag liner? Yes. Coolmax type. Silk it too hot. Cotton is too heavy. (leave the sleeping bag at home of course, per previous comments).
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection? Yes. Pack and sleeping bag liner (obviously don't pack it--just spray before you leave).

Rest of my thoughts are here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-304777

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection? Yes. Pack and sleeping bag liner (obviously don't pack it--just spray before you leave).

Hi
I was wondering whether I would be allowed to bring permethrin spray in my checked luggage. We will be in country for 2 months -the final 5 weeks of which will be the Camino - and the directions say that the protection only lasts for 6 weeks.

Mosquito Repellant?.........NOPE
Rubbing Alcohol?.......NOPE
Compeed?..........NOPE
more than 3 pairs of undergarments?.........THREE IS ENOUGH
long pants for church?........SURE, WHY NOT
collared shirt?........SURE, WHY NOT
flip flops for albergue showers?.....DEFINITELY
sleeping bag liner?......AND NO BAG, LINER ALONE IS ADEQUATE
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection?........NOPE

cheers

Absolutely yes on spraying your stuff I am just home from the camino and the bedbugs were an issue I am really glad my stuff was sprayed

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes on the permethrin . Big issue this year , not last year (for me). If you need more you can buy in a hardware store. I bought a large one in Astorga and carried it from then on. Also helps with fleas which took me to the hospital twice (May 2015, Frances). Mosquitos were an issue in May, repellents for body and clothes at pharmacy there, including the oft used After Bite stick. A sample pic of the bed bug bites on lower leg this year but were also on truck and arms, etc. I wasn't alone in this. Major issue this year. Never any need to dress up for Catholic Mass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 19
Hi
I was wondering whether I would be allowed to bring permethrin spray in my checked luggage. We will be in country for 2 months -the final 5 weeks of which will be the Camino - and the directions say that the protection only lasts for 6 weeks.
I can't see how you would have an issue packing it. You can also find there in a hardware store .

Men tend to have short hair and the neck is exposed, especially after lunch time when the sun may be behind you.
@David, I agree with you on collared shirts, but I am wondering about having the sun behind you in the afternoon. That would indicate one is walking in an easterly direction, perhaps not what one would be wanting to do on the CF. Was that what you really meant?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@David, I agree with you on collared shirts, but I am wondering about having the sun behind you in the afternoon. That would indicate one is walking in an easterly direction, perhaps not what one would be wanting to do on the CF. Was that what you really meant?
Damn, y'all sure do scrutinize posts on here, ha ha.

Damn, y'all sure do scrutinize posts on here, ha ha.
Not really, but I do read them, not just skim them. As for the sun, I just remember the awful feeling that I always get when I go to the northern hemisphere that it is in the wrong place, and I have to think about which direction I am going in :(

I checked the US TSA website and it said that aerosols cannot be carried on or checked except in small personal quantities (which is probably like the travel shaving cream). Might be safer to treat at home and buy more if you need it on the way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh yeah - wasn't thinking aerosol . The one I bought was a regular spray bottle, not aerosol. (In Spain) I didn't spray last year or this. I used lavender. After I got the bugs, different view - natch.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Flip Flops NO! Buy some Crocks, yes they take up more room but are safer and more versatile.
Bag liner. I always carry one. Good for warm and cool nights.
Alcohol. Only if its Jack Daniels.
Insect repellent. I've never used it. You can buy it there if needed.
Long pants. All my pants have zippered pant legs so I have shorts and long pants.
Collared shirts. Mine are long sleeved. I wear one and carry one. Roll up sleeves when hot.
Small clothes 1 on 1 dirty 1 back up.
Compeed. Carry something to treat blisters. They will happen!

Happy Trails

Last edited:
To Pack or not to Pack:

Mosquito Repellant? No
Rubbing Alcohol? No
Compeed? No
more than 3 pairs of undergarments? No
long pants for church? Perhaps
collared shirt? No
flip flops for albergue showers? Perhaps
sleeping bag liner? No
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection? No

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife, son and I are also planning to go starting in Roscenvalles on June 30. Would love to know what the sleeping liner response is.
For me the liner was a "must take" item, mine was VERY light weight, just check your bunk with your head lamp for any signs of small critters (bugs). I took a few small prepackaged individual bug wipes but rarely used them. And, I never had a blister by treating my feet with petroleum ointment each day before putting on socks. If I felt a "hot spot" on a foot I stopped, reapplied petroleum with a bit of duct tape on top of it, believe me it works! You can wrap small strips of duct tape around walking sticks, or other needed items. Flip flops were a must have for me too! Sunscreen, hat, and 2 0r 3 undergarments made of quick dry material. I liked having a light weight "decent" change of cloths for dinner and church. (also quick dry material).
Buen Camino

Not really, but I do read them, not just skim them. As for the sun, I just remember the awful feeling that I always get when I go to the northern hemisphere that it is in the wrong place, and I have to think about which direction I am going in :(
This is why I like you Doug you are the most specific info guy I have seen consistently! We grumble when you are tenacious but you keep us going in the right direction. You have found your calling.:)

You mention compeed which is for use AFTER you get a blister. Make sure you bring some moleskin or other blister preventative - treat hot spots immediately so you don't get a blister.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mosquito repellant? Are you allergic to insect bites? I had to buy some after being bitten whilst taking a 'wild wee', thank goodness was only my leg!!! Serious allergic reaction and infection, ended up in a medical centre. Would recommend if you react badly to bites.
Buen camino

To Pack or not to Pack:
Mosquito Repellant? NO
Rubbing Alcohol? NO
Compeed? YES
more than 3 pairs of undergarments? NO
long pants for church? Would suggest you bring the pants that zip off and turn into shorts. You are a pilgrim you get a special pass for church no need to dress up.
collared shirt? Not necessary.
flip flops for albergue showers? YES and they can let your feet air out during the evenings
sleeping bag liner? If you are hiking in June I would suggested leaving the sleeping bag at home and instead bringing a travel sheet.
permethrin-anti-bed bug protection? Buy it in Spain when you get there

I have a free printable packing list for the Camino de Santiago if ya like here: http://gabrielschirm.com/camino-de-santiago-resources/

Thank you so much lunaburgos. Great advice. Looking forward to it. We leave on Monday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back