• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pilgrim starting to plan!

falcooat

FalcoOat
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: June/July, 2018
Hello all!

Although I have been on the forum for awhile now, this is my very first post. :) After much theoretical planning our trip for the Camino Frances it is now starting to become real as my 16yr old son and I have our tickets from MSP to KEF to CDG to BIQ. I have already booked SJPP and am waiting to hear back from Orisson. I wanted to go ahead and book up to Roncesvalles as well, just to makes sure we get the rhythm of the Camino down before we brave just 'showing up.' Unfortunately when I tried to book the hostel in Roncesvalles, the transfer would not go through, which leads me to believe that they are full (at least on reservations.) I realize that they have quite a few beds for people who show up the day of, but I guess after reading so many posts about the craziness of last summer, it has me just a tiny bit nervous. I am sure this will all be alleviated once we start our journey but considering we will probably be jet-lagged for a few days, I liked to idea of booking ahead for just the first two days of the trip. If you were me, would you risk it and hope that Roncesvalles will have room or would it be better to book a room in Espinal? I realize there is no right answer for this but clearly I am feeling very much like a greenhorn right now and would feel better knowing we have a spot for the first two days.

Thank you for reading and any advice you are willing to offer!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ýou may be having a problem if using an American credit card to book. Perhaps try PayPal instead.
You might try in this camping which is down from Roncesvalles through Burguete passing several small pensions which probably will also be full. Continue straight through the town on N 135 to this camping which has a special rate and cabins for pilgrims.
http://www.campingurrobi.com/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-urrobi-5ks-ish-out-of-roncesvalles.24095/

Buen camino to both of you!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you, I will try PayPal and see if that works. I also appreciate the camping suggestion!

Ýou may be having a problem if using an American credit card to book. Perhaps try PayPal instead.
You might try in this camping which is down from Roncesvalles through Burguete passing several small pensions which probably will also be full. Continue straight through the town on N 135 to this camping which has a special rate and cabins for pilgrims.
http://www.campingurrobi.com/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camping-urrobi-5ks-ish-out-of-roncesvalles.24095/

Buen camino to both of you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry about that, I have it listed in my profile but didn’t think to add it again. We are looking at a June 21 arrival date for Roncesvalles.
My husband and I are staying at Orisson on June 21st. Maybe we will cross paths. :) We are staying in Roncesvalles on the 22nd.

Yay! After emailing both Orisson and Roncesvalles directly, I woke up to messages from them to confirm! So it looks like it worked out, and yes, both used PayPal.

@bsnyder105, we look forward to seeing you on the trail!
How did you use Paypal? I don't see it as an option and it is declining my cards as well... wondering if I need to release security to garage outside of the country.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Melnoon Yes, (thank you @Arn), after trying repeatedly to get my payment to go through, I emailed them and heard back the next day with a link to pay via PayPal.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back