• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NEW Pilgrim Travelling from Pau to SJPP?

Samantha Hussey

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Hi All! Just two weeks until I start my camino. I am travelling from Paris to Pau and I am wondering if anyone else has done a similiar route? I see that most people go through Biarritz but the flight was too expensive so I am flying to Pau instead. There is a train that leave at 9.30 in the morning and arrives at 1230 although it looks like I have to take a bus from CAMBO LES BAINS? Is that normal?

Also would I be crazy to start walk as soon as I arrive in SJPP at 1230? Perhaps I will walk only to Orisson? But i hear you have to book the Auberge in advance? Is that right? Or can anyone advise me what they would do?
Thanks for your answers in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not clear why you aren't using the Paris - Bayonne rail route that provides a direct connection (usually rail but sometimes bus ). But that aside 12.30 is to late to attempt the Napoleon route to Roncevalles, you risk the steep descent from the Col Lepeodor in failing light. I have walked to Valcarlos comfortably after a 4.30 pm arrival at StJdP?

You will almost certainly require a booking at Orisson at this time of year. If you are determined on the Route Napoleon you may wish to consider spending a night in StJdP and, with an early start tackling the climb and descent in a single day. Just go slowly and carefully and pay strict attention to the advices of the Pilgrims' Office.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friend and I flew into Pau last September as I had been there before and we did not want to deal with CDG. We had a lovely hotel for 2 nights in the heart of the city which is about a 20 minute taxi from the (small) airport. The next morning we walked to the train station and took the train to Lourdes (less than 30 minutes) and spent an inspiring day at the shrine of Bernadette. My friend said at the time that she felt that her Camino started there. We returned to Pau in the afternoon, purchased train tickets (actually train/bus) for SJPP. (There were tears as read our tickets and we realized our Camino was Finally happening!) Then a lovely French dinner... The next morning we left on the 5:30 am train (don't remember the exact time) and arrived in SJPP in time (I think we started walking about 11am) to start our Camino as far as Orrison. For complicated reasons (air traffic controllers strike which changed our arrival date into France) we had lost our reservation at Orrison... and so taxied back to SJPP, taxied back up to Orrison the next morning and continued on...
So, yes, Cambo les Bains is normal and if you have ever wanted to see Lourdes, it is short train ride away.
Buen Camino! How I wish I could be on the Way again!

Hi All! Just two weeks until I start my camino. I am travelling from Paris to Pau and I am wondering if anyone else has done a similiar route? I see that most people go through Biarritz but the flight was too expensive so I am flying to Pau instead. There is a train that leave at 9.30 in the morning and arrives at 1230 although it looks like I have to take a bus from CAMBO LES BAINS? Is that normal?

Also would I be crazy to start walk as soon as I arrive in SJPP at 1230? Perhaps I will walk only to Orisson? But i hear you have to book the Auberge in advance? Is that right? Or can anyone advise me what they would do?
Thanks for your answers in advance!

No its not normal to take bus from Cambo les Bains. The tracks were washed out in April 2014. SNCF service from Bayonne to SJPdP keeps changing between bus for the whole trip or train to Cambo les Bains and bus for the rest of the trip.

Alternatively take SNCF train from Pau to Puyoo. Then take Transports64 bus 809 from Puyoo to St Palais and 810 from St Palais to SJPdP.

Tranports64 also offers bus service 811 from Gare Bayonne to St Palais and 810 to SJPdP in the event it works better than the SNCF schedule.

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

1230 is too late to start. Not only do you risk being on the mountain after dark but you also risk arriving at Roncesvalles after food services are closed. Orrison is a good option if there is space available.

I would stay in SJPdP and start in the AM. SJPdP is a good place to get yourself sorted out after travel and before walking.

Not clear why you aren't using the Paris - Bayonne rail route that provides a direct connection (usually rail but sometimes bus ). But that aside 12.30 is to late to attempt the Napoleon route to Roncevalles, you risk the steep descent from the Col Lepeodor in failing light. I have walked to Valcarlos comfortably after a 4.30 pm arrival at StJdP?

You will almost certainly require a booking at Orisson at this time of year. If you are determined on the Route Napoleon you may wish to consider spending a night in StJdP and, with an early start tackling the climb and descent in a single day. Just go slowly and carefully and pay strict attention to the advices of the Pilgrims' Office.

Buen Camino

Thanks Tincatinker - I am flying from Prague to Paris and then down to Pau - when I looked at flights it was a cheap option and it cut out the long bus or train journey. I think I will take everyone's advise and stay in SJPP that day and set off the following morning. Will there still be beds available if I arrive at 1230?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No its not normal to take bus from Cambo les Bains. The tracks were washed out in April 2014. SNCF service from Bayonne to SJPdP keeps changing between bus for the whole trip or train to Cambo les Bains and bus for the rest of the trip.

Alternatively take SNCF train from Pau to Puyoo. Then take Transports64 bus 809 from Puyoo to St Palais and 810 from St Palais to SJPdP.

Tranports64 also offers bus service 811 from Gare Bayonne to St Palais and 810 to SJPdP in the event it works better than the SNCF schedule.

Transports64
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

1230 is too late to start. Not only do you risk being on the mountain after dark but you also risk arriving at Roncesvalles after food services are closed. Orrison is a good option if there is space available.

I would stay in SJPdP and start in the AM. SJPdP is a good place to get yourself sorted out after travel and before walking.

Thanks whariwharangi. The albergue in Orisson is so expensive! I am guessing this is the correct place? - http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

Is it normal to split the first day up? I am a 25 year old female who isn't in the best shape so I am not sure I'll make it all the way to Roncesvalles in one day.

Samantha,

You might consider walking the Valcarlos alternate route. In Valcarlos the municipal albergue offers accommodation for 24. The price is 10 euros per night with a simple breakfast included, good kitchen and you can book in advance. I have always enjoyed stopping here.

Buen camino!

MM

Last edited:
Thanks whariwharangi. The albergue in Orisson is so expensive! I am guessing this is the correct place? - http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

Is it normal to split the first day up? I am a 25 year old female who isn't in the best shape so I am not sure I'll make it all the way to Roncesvalles in one day.

Most people walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day. Its a long day and so a lot of people elect to stay at Orrison. It is as you say, expensive, and there is limited space. If you have a reservation then walking from SJPdP at midday to Orrison is easily possible. There is only one so you have the right website.

Another option is to walk to Orrison, take a taxi back to SJPdP, stay the night in town, then taxi back to Orrison to resume your walk in the morning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back