• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New pilgrim with a food allergy question

runsfar

Hello everyone,
Firstly, I would like to thank all the seasoned travellers and frequent posters for their invaluable contributions to this forum; I have learned so much about the Camino simply by reading the posts!
I will be heading off to do the last third of the Camino in September, finishing in Finisterre, with a small group of friends from my church and I cannot wait -- only 242 "sleeps" to go before departure!
However, I have a rather unusual and very debilitating allergy to garlic; if I eat anything with any form of garlic (including garlic salt or powder,) I become so violently ill that I cannot eat solid food for several weeks. How easy or difficult is it to access or obtain food that does not contain garlic? I have travelled in Africa and in Haiti and have lived on eggs, rice, bananas and granola bars, but those trips did not involve one-tenth of the physical activity that the Camino will. I will be carrying some food (meal replacement packets, nuts, etc.) for emergencies, and a Spanish-speaking friend is helping me with "I am allergic to garlic; could you please ..." etc., but it would be very helpful to know what to expect.
Thank you very much for your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
runsfar said:
I have a rather unusual and very debilitating allergy to garlic; if I eat anything with any form of garlic (including garlic salt or powder,) I become so violently ill that I cannot eat solid food for several weeks.[...] it would be very helpful to know what to expect.
Unfortunately, garlic is an essential ingredient of many dishes in Spain. (though not up to Korean standards :wink: ) At restaurants and bars (and even shops), always be very specific to the staff that for health reasons you cannot have food which contains any form of garlic. Ask for garlic-free suggestions. Use albergues with cooking facilities so that you can be your own master. :)

Have a very good Spanish speaker write out a Simple explanation. Hopefully, just a line so that it is simple and quick to read.
That way you can hand it to a waiter or shop keeper to avoid misunderstanding.

It sounds like it is very important and I would not take any chances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I fear that with an allergy that bad, you really should only cook your own food as garlic is so widely used in the Spanish kitchen that basically all cutting boards, knives ect will have come in contact with it. So, whilst the chef is happily thinking he is preparing a "garlic-free" meal for you he is frying it in a pan where he has fried previously garlic in. SY

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, the Spaniards use garlic like crazy. The good news is that most villages you'll pass through will have bakeries and grocery stores, so if you need to be super careful about not eating anything cooked (unless you cook it yourself), you'll be able to find quick snacks and such to keep you fueled. It may just be harder when you and your pilgrim friends sit down to a restaurant meal - you'll have to strongly advocate for yourself otherwise you'll most likely get garlic-laced food... at least bocadillas (sandwiches) and Spanish tortilla (egg and potato omelet) are pretty standard in cafes and bars and don't have garlic (someone please correct me if tortilla has garlic but I'm pretty sure it doesn't?)

But ENJOY all the planning and the walking! It will be a blast for you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Spanish friend recommends that when you're here in Spain, stay away from chorizo and salchichón as those do have garlic. And anything that says "ajillo" or "ajo" means garlic. But normal meat (carne), chicken (pollo), or fish (pescado), especially "a la plancha" (grilled/sauteed on a flat skillet) should be fine. Hope that helps!

My tortilla recipe has garlic in it. However they are usually made fresh so you may be able to ask for an individual size one that is garlic free.
I too wondered about chopping boards and pans being garlic free. Pans are probably less of a problem than the boards, and the latter could be a problem in albergue kitchens. It depends on whether your allergy is to eating or near contact with garlic.

There used to be some plastic flexible chopping mats around 'Fleximats/Flexiboards' which you could cut to size and carry with you. They are very lightweight. We cut 2 squares to use as picnic 'plates'

The idea for a simple message is good. I would suggest you laminate one and keep it safe, even if you carry others too. Always show it as even 'simple' meat and fish dishes might be near garlic otherwise.

More wonderful suggestions and information -- thank you again! I am amazed (and yet am not ...) at the feeling of belonging to this world-wide family of pilgrims who are willing to go out of their way to help a total stranger, even before I've taken a step on the Camino ... I already feel blessed.

My allergy is an ingestion issue, not contact, and I've become pretty good at detecting the presence of garlic with my nose or at the first bite, so I already feel more confident about dealing with food on the road, especially armed with my new laminated phrase card and your helpful suggestions. Keep them coming!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
runsfar said:
More wonderful suggestions and information -- thank you again! I am amazed (and yet am not ...) at the feeling of belonging to this world-wide family of pilgrims who are willing to go out of their way to help a total stranger, even before I've taken a step on the Camino ... I already feel blessed.

My allergy is an ingestion issue, not contact, and I've become pretty good at detecting the presence of garlic with my nose or at the first bite, so I already feel more confident about dealing with food on the road, especially armed with my new laminated phrase card and your helpful suggestions. Keep them coming!

HI there, have just read & followed your posts & just thought I would add my advice too.....met & walked the first time with a Diabetic ( injecting ) / coeliac sufferer & we had a wonderful time sourcing fresh local ingredients & a albergue kitchen to prepare some of the tastiest food on the road....when this wasn't possible Anne's very good Spanish communicated her restrictions...a simple ( but perhaps overaccentuated explanaition should be fine)..
have a wonderful time exploring the options, lotsa fresh fruit & veg along the way, good groceries & if you have a bit of Spanish it's a joy to ask for local recommendations too..
buen prevecho!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.