• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New pilgrimage route on Orkney

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36903

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very interesting articles - thank you. Given I'd love to visit Orkney and work on the large dig there this sounds like a great add-on.

Thanks for posting this. I am wondering what sort of accommodation might be available on this pilgrim route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for posting this. I am wondering what sort of accommodation might be available on this pilgrim route.
Nothing that would resemble the albergues along the Spanish caminos. There are hostels in Kirkwall - the end point of the route. For the rest you would probably have to use B&B accommodation which is not cheap. The Orkney tourist board's website is probably the most helpful place to look for options:
https://www.visitorkney.com/accommodation

Thanks. Perhaps Air BnB has caught on up there!!!! But I somehow doubt it.

It might be worth getting in touch with the church authorities. If their hope is that some of the values of the Camino might be transferred to Orkney then they may want to consider identifying or providing appropriate - cheap - accommodation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a new website dedicated to the route:
https://www.stmagnusway.com/

Thank you for providing this link @Bradypus the hostel accommodation looks interesting if limited, but other accommodation is priced at the usual Scottish levels. I will contact the Church of Scotland next week and see if they have any contingency plans for pilgrims who want to walk for religious reasons but on a limited budget. Getting to the island is an added cost, although Orkney was recently voted as the best place to live in the UK.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone for your interest in our pilgrimage route. I discovered this page by looking at where referrals to www.stmagnusway.com had come from. In response to questions about budget accommodation - there are campsites along the route for those on a budget, and wild camping is also a free option. We are opening the route in stages this year - so walking the full route is best left to 2018. There are already people along the route offering water stops and benches / lunch shelters and we hope that increases with time as well. We are also trying to incorporate pilgrimage resources along the route - you can see what we have added so far at www.stmagnusway.com/resources but always on the look out for suggestions and much more will be added over the summer.

@Orkneypilgrimage
Thanks for the update.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have just read that a new pilgrimage route, the St Magnus Way, is to open on Easter Sunday, and taking its inspiration from the popularity of the Camino de Santiago.
To read the full story I am hoping the link below will work.

http://scotsman.com/news/st-magnus-way-pilgrimage-route-to-open-on-orkney-1-4419000

If it doesn't then go to The Scotsman newspaper website and serach under pilgrimage.
We went there in the summer, as well as the North Highland Way. www.northhighlandway.co.uk

Interested to hear about St Magnus Way. I first went to Orkney in 2012 and fell in love with it. Returned the following 2 years and have been wanting to go back ever since. Could easily combine it with the North Highland Way as I love that part of the country. Heading up to Durness in 4 weeks for my summer holiday. Something to think about for after my Camino next year.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.