• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New pilgrims From SoCal

Time of past OR future Camino
None
we will be starting in St Jean on the 15th of September and we are both excited and nervous because of the weather reports.
Over the hill? Or around? After reading many posts and taking our levels of fitness into account..... Maybe around or starting in Roncevalles ... Just wondering
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Both routes are tough if your fitness levels are not great.
The Valcarlos route does not reach the heights that the Napoleon does.

One approach method for either route is to split the journey into two stages.
Stop at Refuge Orrison or Kayola the first night when doing the Napoleon. However it is possible/probable that Orrison is full at this late stage.

Alternatively stop in Valcarlos the night when doing the Valcarlos route.
It is quite likely that good accommodation is still available there.
A further option is to send your bags ahead on the first two days.
Regards and Buen Camino
Gerard

I just pulled up SJPP on The Weather Channel for September 15. It looks like it will be mostly cloudy with a high of 69 F, low of 56, 20% chance of rain, winds at 10 mph. Sunrise at 7:45am and sunset 8:14pm. There's rain forecasted on the surrounding days so you may get some damp weather but I'd rather walk in a drizzle than than the sizzle that Spain has had lately. Check out the weather online the night before or ask at the pilgrim's office in SJPP. If it's cloud cover you are thinking of, it may be helpful to load a GPS app on your phone as a backup. There's lot of info on the forum for various apps. Have a wonderful trip!

IMG_0384.jpg
Via Francigena
On the way up St Bernard Pass

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I just pulled up SJPP on The Weather Channel for September 15. It looks like it will be mostly cloudy with a high of 69 F, low of 56, 20% chance of rain, winds at 10 mph. Sunrise at 7:45am and sunset 8:14pm. There's rain forecasted on the surrounding days so you may get some damp weather but I'd rather walk in a drizzle than than the sizzle that Spain has had lately.

This looks like the weather I walked in, in May 2013 but nicer. We leave SJPP on Sept 16 and are staying the night in Orisson. I wasn't looking forward to the hot weather (I don't sweat but tend towards heat stroke) and was planning a very slow walk with lots of breaks because of it. Now that it is cooling down it will be much nicer for walking in. It rained so much going over to Roncessvalle in 2013 that we took our minimal breaks standing, we heard bells of animals but couldn't see any and basically walked in fog, wind and sideways rain for most of the day. We also saw very few people.

Over the hill? Or around? After reading many posts and taking our levels of fitness into account..... Maybe around or starting in Roncevalles ... Just wondering

You don't say what your fitness level is or how much or what type of walking you have been doing in preparation. I walked in total fog last time and it looks like it might be similar this time. If you aren't too concerned about going over the Pyrenees and your fitness level is of concern I would recommend starting in Roncesvalles. Since you don't have this sorted yet and you are leaving soon I assume you don't have plans to get to SJPP and getting to Roncesvalles will be easier as well depending on where you are flying into.

Buen Camino!

I've walked over the hill and around it as well into Roncesvalles. Both routes are beautiful and you wouldn't be cheating yourselves walking either. Just remember, after a point on both, there are no water fountains. So bring plenty of water, and bring something to eat.
If you have clear skies the morning you leave, do the Napoleon. If it's foggy and dodgy, split off to ValCarlos.
cheers and ultreia

Lots of people start in Roncesvalles and if there's a chance you will hurt yourselves crossing the mountains and have to quit then weigh that against the rest of the trip. If you start in SJPdP and the weather changes from expected listen to what the locals advise. You can always take a bus/taxi to Roncesvalles. If you start either Napoleon or valcarlos route and think the walk or weather is dangerous, turn around and return to SJPdP if you can do so safely. I think we forget that we don't HAVE to walk only forward. Adapting and finishing is more important than any given step.
When I reached SJPdP a major and unexpected snowstorm was starting. Many pilgrims decided to take a bus/taxi to Roncesvalles, most of the rest went the low route as the pilgrims office was advising. Some waited it out and walked the high route two days later and it was beautiful I'm told. I insisted on walking alone on Napoleon--could barely see my hand let alone enjoy the scenery. Cold, wet, and exhausted (and thankfully not dead) I questioned my stupid decision while walking down a very dangerous slope into Roncesvalles and can attest:listen to the locals. I twisted my ankle on that muddy/snowy slope and limped all the way to Pamplona.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
we will be starting in St Jean on the 15th of September and we are both excited and nervous because of the weather reports.
Buen Camino

Started from SJPP on Sept 4 and took advice to split into 2 days. Highly recommend contacting Orisson and being flexible with your start date (give them a couple of choices around when you want to start). This is what I did after they told me they were booked up for the day I had "planned" to start the Camino. My first Camino lesson....be flexible (if you have the time to be).

I too was not in the kind of physical shape I "should have been" when starting. But told myself I would go slow and pay attention to my body. Took the Napoleon route. All went well except for the VERY LONG downhill portion at the end (into Roncesvalles). That put a strain on my legs (to say the least) and I decided to take a day off to rest. And actually, even those who were in "good condition" were aching from that last part. The days that followed were much more forgiving. I did take another day of rest once I arrived in Pamplona.

To give you an idea of my pace....started the Camino on September 4 and arrived into Pamplona on Sept 9 (morning). Feeling very good about how I've done this so far.

Slow and steady is the mantra. Whichever Way you choose is what's right for you...just how it goes. Buen Camino!

Hi Terri! I may see you on the 17th somewhere around Roncesvalles!

John, I'm also starting from St Jean on 15th, I couldn't get into the Orrison when I tried to book 2 weeks ago but did manage to get a bed at the Kayola. Will keep an eye out for you.
Buen Camino to one and all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back