• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new pilgrin, 100km on French way? - been there

pilgrimP

I found this messageboard very useful before I walked the French way so I thought I would write down some things I found out. We were 5 (all without walking experience) who walked from Sarria (111km!) to SDC during the first week of april.

First: Not knowing is a part of the experience! Don't worry and it will all work out.

- TURIST OFFICES There is a special turist office you go to for the caminos and you will find it easily if you follow the signs and ask someone. They have some good information about the French way. Take a map of the city (to find the bus-central later)!

- STARTING POINT We started at Sarria because we wanted to go the 100km necessary to get the diploma. My impression was that it was good to have a thought about which way you want to take (I know it is difficult to find info about the difference).

- PILGRIM PASS In Sarria we were told to get the Pilgrim pass at the church or in the pilgrim-office (?) but they were closed in the morning so we asked around got ours at the police-office. They didn't cost anything and aren't difficult to get. No worries! Then you collect stamps! In the end all shops seem to have a stamp (if you want many)

- BUSSES There were many departures to Ludo (where we chaged busses to get to Sarria) although it was saturday during easter week. I'm guessing it's not that complicated to get to other destinations either. We got the bus-info at the turist office but our bus from the airport stopped at the bus-central on the way in to town (10 min walk).

- BACKPACK our backpacks were about 8-9kg which is fine. Most people carry less (don't know how, maybe they send their backpacks ahead ~6 Euros/bag).

- DISTANCE We were new at this and walked between 23 and 33 km/day depending on where the hostels were. More than 28-30 km/day was far for us (we arrived after 9 pm) but we were okay with that.

- HOSTELS are called albergues. The ones we saw had rooms with 2-200 bunkbeds, no heating (but they do have blankets!), nice bathrooms and internet acces (almost all with memory card-readers). There are electrical sockets but not that many (next time I'll bring a splitter to my phone, ipod and camera batteries). I'm guessing earplugs are a must if you are a light sleeper and I had nasal spray to not snore. In april there was no problem finding a place to sleep and we paid 8-10 Euro (some are free). You will need your pilgrim pass. In april it's COLD (warmer outside!) in the bathroom and stuff, shoes and fleece is recommended! You will wake up at around 7 because that's when everyone else wakes up.

- MONEY I managed a week on less than 200 Euro in total. ATM machines are found in every village.

- RAIN rainpants and a thin rain poncho (have it over your backpack if your don't have rain cover for it) is great.

- SHOES I had walking trainers and some of my friends had walking boots (guess it's better in the long run but I liked my shoes). A day and a half I walked in light shoes and that was fine too. It is nice to have light shoes to change into during long brakes and night (and in cold hostels!)

- FOOD there are stops where you can eat (not expensive) during the way. Some bread and water and nuts it good to have with you. There are NO fridges during the way, just so you know. Vegetarians, be ware.. my friend started eating eggs again, so she would have something to eat.

- BLISTERS if you get them, my advise is to use the needle. Have alcohol to sterilize.

Finally: Not knowing what is ahed of you is a part of what makes the trip so great. I will walk again! Hope you will have as much fun as I did!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
First time Pilgrim

Thank you so much for your report back PilgrimP.
It is good to know that credentials can be obtained at the Police stations if the churches/offices are closed.
It is also good to know that it was easy to get a bus from Lugo to Sarria - many pilgrims start from Sarria and they always worry about getting there.
I am a vegetarian and know that it is a problem if you don't eat jamon or eggs.
Can you remember any of the costs for things like drinks and food? Would be nice to share an up-to-date cost list with the forum.
Waking at 7am will be a pleasure!! In summer pilgrims start stirring, crackling plastic bags and zipping sleeping bags at 4h30am.
It's great that you had a good time - and well done to you guys on your walk!
Abrazos,

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back