• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Pollozas open in Cebreiro

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Since Thursday, Cebreiro has a new attraction. A set of four ethnographic rehabilitated pallozas opened their doors to the public after an intense recovery work started in 2006 by the Ministry of Culture.
These facilities were visited on Wednesday by conselleira Culture, Ánxela Bugallo, the director of Heritage Xeral Felipe Arias, and the mayor of Pedrafita, José Luis Raposo.
The package aims to recreate the atmosphere of life in the mountains east of Lugo. Bugallo Ánxela appreciated the restoration work carried out by the architect Luis Serrano, the documentalist Bibiana Castro and restorative Vania Lopez, indicating that truly reflects the atmosphere of the work and palloza that were developed around it.
Although there was a big snowfall in the conselleira Cebreiro, they found that the pallozas are still resisting the weather.

Felipe Arias explained that this type of construction, evolved from the Castros, is designed to keep the heat in winter and cool in summer. The thick walls with little windows from outside insulate the structure, the semi into the soil, helps retain the heat of the fire. This element is essential in any palloza and essential for maintaining the roof, which needs to smoke kept in good condition.
All these details are preserved in the Ethnographic Cebreiro together and have been cared for by the restorers, who have removed the superfluous palloza to regain its glory of yesteryear.
Culture Works, which spent 389,000 euros, have improved the palloza of Xan Lopez, which was a museum, and to enable two further visits, known as Quiet and Galán. The fourth of Campelo has been adapted for cultural activities and services and includes a sample of panels about the area.

http://elprogreso.galiciae.com/nova/24668.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I actually got to sleep in a palloza- back in 1988 the main palloza in Ceibreiro was the refugio for peregrinos. I remember sleeping on fresh hay and not much else about it (It's a tough climb up to Ceibreiro!- I was tired!) :)

Ceibreiro may have been my favorite town along the Camino Frances, although I can't give you a particular reason why. Perhaps mountain towns are in my bones (I currently live in a small ski town in Colorado at 8,750 feet altitude). It certainly was chilly up there, even in July.

Just before leaving Ceibreiro I took a photo of the sunrise in a reflection of one of the small, round glass windows on the palloza I had just slept in. I'm going to try to scan this photo and use it as my avatar.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.