• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New possible stages on the Camino Inglés

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
New possible stages on the Camino Inglés

I’m just back from walking this delightful route from Ferrol again. More of that later!

Before I went I got a couple of e mails from people asking about the stages. The route is very beautiful with great scenery but it is demanding in parts. People are particularly apprehensive about the long stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma/Meson do Vento of 29/31kms – particularly in light of the 3 kms elevation of some 0.4 kms 12 kms from Bruma.

Whilst this stage is fine for strong walkers I’ve been up that hill myself a few times now and it is steep!

But now there are more options available to pilgrims on this route – with more planned.

Here is the news :)

Existing suggested stages:

Ferrol – Pontedeume 25 kms
Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms
Betanzos – Hospital de Bruma 29 kms
Hospital de Bruma – Sigüeiro 24 kms
Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms

For those wishing to use albergues:
Ferrol – Neda 11kms
Neda – Miño 27 kms
Miño – Hospital de Bruma 38 kms

New albergues planned:

Betanzos – 40 places – 1 Rua Cervantes in the town centre was due to open this year – will now open for the Holy Year 2010.

Sigüeiro – Money has been allocated and a site identified next to the swimming pool on the route into Sigüeiro – not due to open until the Holy Year 2010

New possible stage:

The family who own the O Meson Novo Pension in Meson do Vento have been welcoming pilgrims occasionally for 34 years. They know the route is growing in popularity.

Therefore they are now providing a new service:

They will pick up pilgrims at an agreed point – say the Bar Julia - 18kms from Betanzos and just before “the hill”. They will transport them to their pension if accommodation is booked for 18 Euros per person and will return them to the pick up point next day. Transport is free of charge.

The parents worked for 10 years in Leeds in England and their English is very good. Antonio their son who will run the taxi service undertands English very well.

Telephone

981 692 776
981 696008

Mobile number for Antonio – 678 585 431

E mail: antonio@mesonnovo.com or mesonnovo@messonovo.com

There are also two new Casas Rurales which have opened along the route:

The Dona Maria in Buscas – 20 kms from the Bar Julia opposite the Bar Novo and on the route. (Double from 60 Euros – http://www.casadonamaria.es)

The Antón Veiras – in O Outeiro – 27.5 kms from the Bar Julia on the route (981 682 303. Doubles 60 Euros)

These are expensive options for pilgrims and Antonio from the Pension O Meson Novo is offering a fully flexible service therefore pilgrims could base themselves in Meson do Vento for 2 nights being picked up at As Buscas or O Outeiro on the second evening to sleep ion Meson do Vento being returned there the next morning to go forward to Santiago.

Please note that the Bar Julia is only open Monday – Friday by arrangement with groups booking lunch.

I have a few other updates to make to the guide which will appear shortly.

Attachments

• Meson Novo3.JPG
    Meson Novo3.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,495
  • Meson Novo 2.JPG
    Meson Novo 2.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,504
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JW,

I'm starting to get the itch to have another go and really want to do it in the last week of December and first week in January. You've made a solid case for the arduous nature of this Camino and outlined some albergue options. Would you consider it doable in the time frame I would have?

Thanks,

Arn

Arn - I've thought about this and discussed it with my companero just a week or so ago. First thing is that my preference is always to walk in warm, dry weather, or better still cold, dry weather which is why I love winter caminos. But on balance I really do think this little route could be very uncomfortable in driving rain or snow or sleet - but it could also be stunning in crystal clear cold, winter weather. It will be good to get an opinion from Sil when she has also walked it.

An option must be the southern routes - from Sevilla? No?

I'm not sure this helps...

Abrazos

John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
December-January in Galicia? With all the holiday closings, and half the province gone south to escape the miserable drippy weather?
Think again, my friend. Unless of course you have a lot of penance to do.

Reb.

Our final day, Siguero to Santiago, at the beginning of March, was one of those drizzling grey days. Damp, chilly, dull and no views. It would have been miserable if it was like that every day, or worse still, if that had been the best day and the rest were driving sleet or rain. As it happened, we had three other days which were a mixture of bright sunshine and heavy downpours, even hexagonal-crossed-with-star shaped hail. What we call April showers in the UK - with the fronts rushing in from the Atlantic one after the other. Very exhilarating! The downpours become an excuse to sit in a bar chatting for a while - can't be bad.

See blog for pictures - note the black sky through the window of the Bruma refuge.

Reb thought:Unless of course you have a lot of penance to do.

That I do!

JW suggested Sevilla.

I am not a masochist, I do love snow and prefer cold and dry to wet and cold.

I believe in making a thorough use of all intelligence available prior to commencing a campaign. History shows that the Coruna route has some very bad military connotations.

I will research and make a wise rather than a gut level decision.

Thanks you all.

Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If there is a new albergue opened at Carral might it be possible to start at Ferrol and then cross over after Betanzos to Carral and join the Coruña branch of the Camino, continuing down to Bruma next day . It looks as if this might ease the long arm from Betanzos to Bruma but is it practicable please? Terrain? Distance? etc.
Thanks,
Tia Valeria

Rough distances from Google Earth are Betanzos to Carral 15kms, Carral to Bruma 12kms. There is still a steep hill to climb prior to Bruma but it wouldn't come after such a long stage!

Thank you Miguel, that is really helpful. It was the long distances rather than the hills that concerned me. Around 15km or so sounds much better.
Tia Valeria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
JW,

Well, I'm sitting here in my parlor looking out at the semi-blizzard that covered most of the East Coast. I will be going outside shortly to take my grandchildren and their parents for a romp/walk in the snow. For the past several hours I've been doing additional research on the CI and believe I've settled on an October walk to Santiago beginning in Ferrol.

Keys to doing this successfully will turn on several things: the economy, the economy and the economy. I have sufficient cash and time to make this an enjoyable sojourn and, having just passed my annual physical with flying colors am ready.

I will continue to review all postings on or about the CI and appreciate any additional input.

Thanks as always,

Arn

ah ha - what a good plan Arn. I just got an e mail today from a pilgrim who has just completed the Ingles. Waymarking has improved even more than before and some difficult areas of the path have also been improved. It is waiting for you as is a warm welcome in Santiago.

Buen Camino when it comes :)

John

Great news John!

Thanks so much for being there as a fantastic resource and inspiration. Maybe this time we will finally meet in Santiago for a libation or 2,3,4...

regards
Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are much encouraged by the information here and also by the new listings on the Mundicamino website.
There is a link to this on the Camino Inglés accomodation post and Ivar has also added links there to the new albergue at Bruma and the route on the Xacobeo website.
Thanks Ivar.
Tia Valeria

Hola

I've just recieved a copy of an e mail from the Tourist Office in Betanzos. The new albergue there which has been under construction for some time still has no expected date for opening.

I've also had an e mail from a pilgrim who walked very recently and apparently the Hostal Universal in Betanzos is now closed permanently. Having stayed there this may be a very good thing :)

Regards

John

Have just tried the 2nd of the 2 email addresses listed for meson novo and it isn't recognised. Have now tried the former. Will keep you posted. Judy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Me again! Has anyone any experience of staying in Meson do Novo and getting Antonio to do a pick up from Sigueiro to spend a 2nd night in Meson do Novo. Their place is beginning to sound much better than the hostal in Sigueiro.
Thank Judy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Judy,

I haven't got experience of that particular arrangement myself but Antonio seems to be very accommodating judging by other posts so it is probably something that can be arranged with him at a small cost.

Alternatively, there are about 10 buses a day running each way between the two places, which are both on the main road from Santiago to Coruna (N550). See Monbus website for a timetable.

The Pension at Meson is certainly nicer than the hostal at Sigueiro but Meson is a quieter place, slightly off the Camino Ingles route and the hostal in Sigueiro does have a good Comedor with a very good value and tasty menu.

If staying in Meson for a second night you would need to factor in the travel time back to Sigueiro if you are hoping to walk into Santiago in time for the midday mass. Approx 30 mins by bus, 20-25 mins by car.

Good luck with your planning.
Mig

Hi Judy,
Something for you to think about, I'm actually at The Hostal Miras right now. It's ok, 3 bathrooms for about 15 rooms, as of Sept 1, the rooms are 35€. Food is very good as John has said

Hotel Vicente had vacancies but was 50€

The sports hall option is no longer available

Hospitalera in Bruma suggested another option to an English family, something about Josephine's !? Apparently in Sigüeiro

Evening mass at St Andrews is 1900, don't turn up at 1930 as we did and watch everyone exiting, however the minister is extremely friendly :)

Hope all works out well for you

Regards
Richie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Judy,

I stayed at the Meson last April. I called ahead from the Bar Julia and Antonio picked me up. I had a delightful two days. The rooms very clean, the food plentiful and the atmosphere...very friendly and local. Especially if you root for the local home team while in the bar.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used a mobile phone to call Meson Novo as Bar Julia was closed. We also stayed 3 nights - walking the section from Bar Julia back to Meson do Vento, then next day on to Calle de Poulo where we again called Meson Novo on the mobile to get picked up as arranged. (The alternative would have been to leave Meson Novo and walk to Calle de Poulo, turn right at the crossroads and into Ordes for the night, then on to Segueiro) On our final day Antonio dropped as back in Calle de Poulo to walk to Segueiro. The Hostal Miras was good, shared bathroom but not many folk around, very good meal at lunchtime. Sunday morning they were not opening for breakfast but the cafe just back up the road did.
We paid for the taxi-ing around and also for an extra bocadillo each for both walking days.

Thanks everyone for your input.We have decided to stay in Sigueiro and are looking forward to the good food mentioned! They are charging 18 euro per person regardless of sharing or single rooms. When I telephoned to book yesterday it took 3 attempts. My Spanish is pretty good but the first 2 attempts were met by a lady speaking only Gallego however, third time lucky and we are all booked in.
Does anyone happen to know if the smaller hotels prefer cash for payment or do they take debit cards. I am a bit loathe to carry too much cash on me. On the other hand, if something happens and I lose the debit card... What are your thoughts on this.
Judy

I can't remember if I paid cash or card at the Miras, however there is a bank with ATM directly across the road should you need cash. I seem to remember that the hostal held a passport which was given back when you checked out and settled bill.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Judy
They don't take visa, I tried. Some Spanish who arrived a little after me ran across to the ATM
I'd say "expect to pay cash for everything on the Camino", I had too anyway

Cheers
Richie

Hi Judy,
We paid cash and don't recall having any difficulty finding ATMs. We think we found them in most of the stopping places given in the guide.
Many places do not expect to take credit/debit cards and also they need the actual cash to pay their suppliers. Even in Santiago we saw the bar owners paying cash for their deliveries.
Safety wise, we kept our money in seperate pockets etc and enough for a few days at time although being 2 of us was easier. Also we could draw the maximum daily allowance on the card and keep the costs down. A money belt is a good idea then a wallet/pouch with enough for the day.

A few places wanted paying 'up-front', we wondered if they had suffered from non-payers. Sad if so, but it did mean that we could pay and then just leave the key next day.
Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back