• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New product for blisters?

Mary Baldridge

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2012)
Camino Portugués (2015, 2016)
Has anyone tried this for blisters? It's marketed for people who wear high heels, but it's supposed to prevent blisters. I'm thinking about getting a bottle, but wanted to get any testimonials first.

https://preheels.com/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Has anyone tried this for blisters? It's marketed for people who wear high heels, but it's supposed to prevent blisters. I'm thinking about getting a bottle, but wanted to get any testimonials first.

I saw that on Amazon, and wondered how it would work on the Camino. It would probably be worth a trial run - with your properly fitted shoes and socks. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks like invisible band-aids - in other words, super-glue. Probably works just fine, I always carry a small bottle, and have glued cracks in my skin before.

I was told years ago that women have less problems than men due to the fact that they practice for their LDW by walking in heels, over tight shoes etc. nowadays we are much more enlightened and realise that many men also train for LDWs this way also.:p:p:p:p

On a serious note this product, being attached solidly to the skin, may prevent surface abrasions but could actually cause deeper blisters as the layers of skin MAY be more likely to shear having this product solidly attached.(another layer to shear) The only proven fact about blisters is that shear causes them. The magic potion is anything that lessens or stops that shear.

Gaffa tape, compeed , vaseline, well fitting boot/shoes, good stockings, these all do a similar job, do they not?

Blisters are not mandatory on the Camino. Never got one.

/

Far better is to pay close attention to any developing "hot spots" on your feet, and to use Leukotape at the first sign of a potential blister. Some backpackers even place the tape on known likely trouble spots on their feet and heels prior to a hike. Here's a link to help:
http://sectionhiker.com/leukotape-for-blister-prevention/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I saw that on Amazon, and wondered how it would work on the Camino. It would probably be worth a trial run - with your properly fitted shoes and socks. ;)
Good comment. That's what I was thinking when I read her comment....

It could be a silicone based spray. Anyone who tries it, let us know.

It could be a silicone based spray. Anyone who tries it, let us know.
Here are the ingredients:

1. Dimethyl Ether: propellant that enables the formulation to be sprayed evenly in a mist. This is an organic compound and common aerosol propellant that does not harm the ozone.
  2. Mixed Acetate Solvents: liquids designed to evaporate quickly to leave the protective barrier on your skin. All of these have been shown to be completely safe over decades of use in consumer nail polishes.
  3. Acrylate copolymers: safe, plastic-like particles that sit on the skin and bond together once dry to form a barrier. These are also used in nail polishes and other common coatings.
  4. Non-pthalate plasticizer: helps make the barrier flexible so that it can move and flex with your skin. This ingredient is even approved for use with food contact.
  5. Siloxanes: allows the barrier to feel soft and smooth on your skin. This is a common smoothing agent used in deodorants, hair sprays & facial moisturizing creams.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Saw this (or similar) product on a pre-Academy Award show about the dresses/shoes. They said it was miraculous, even with five inch spiked heels. If you give it a try, do you mind posting a review? Thanks!

I was told years ago that women have less problems than men due to the fact that they practice for their LDW by walking in heels, over tight shoes etc. nowadays we are much more enlightened and realise that many men also train for LDWs this way also.:p:p:p:p

On a serious note this product, being attached solidly to the skin, may prevent surface abrasions but could actually cause deeper blisters as the layers of skin MAY be more likely to shear having this product solidly attached.(another layer to shear) The only proven fact about blisters is that shear causes them. The magic potion is anything that lessens or stops that shear.

Gaffa tape, compeed , vaseline, well fitting boot/shoes, good stockings, these all do a similar job, do they not?

May I add, if you know anyone who spins with wool, loose wool is excellent as buffer between skin and rub spots. I was kicking myself for not bringing some along last year ( I am a textile artisan), to use and share.
Once home I designed a label, obtained the Merino and am now looking for opportunity to get it out there, on Camino where it could make such a difference for pilgrims. Skin care support. Stay tuned, you just might find it in a Camino Farmacia one day :) - sandi

May I add, if you know anyone who spins with wool, loose wool is excellent as buffer between skin and rub spots. I was kicking myself for not bringing some along last year ( I am a textile artisan), to use and share.
Once home I designed a label, obtained the Merino and am now looking for opportunity to get it out there, on Camino where it could make such a difference for pilgrims. Skin care support. Stay tuned, you just might find it in a Camino Farmacia one day :) - sandi
Have a look at this stuff. Perfect for blisters between toes, between sock and hotspot /blister or between liner and outer sock. http://www.actibliss.com.au/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, very very similar to mine...I packaged in 10 gram weight. 18.5 micron Merino, superwashed and focused on the excellent qualities of wool since there is only a small amount of lanolin left once the fibre has been washed.

The guaranteed way to avoid blisters is to use the Armaskin socks produced in Australia. I`m amazed that I can find no mention of them on the Camino forum. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive at c. 30 euro and have to be ordered online. However they arrive promptly ( to Ireland) and they are fantastic! I have bought them for my blister-prone daughters who run a lot and they work a treat at preventing blisters. Check them out at www.armaskin.com

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.