• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Rain Kilt Just Arrived, I am PACKED!!!

MichelleElynHogan

Veteran Member
A new rain kilt was shown here a few weeks ago and I ordered one immediately from China. It is light, (nylon, though I first thought it to be cuben), with a velcro belt allowing for a proper fit. It falls below the knees which is just perfect. Did I say it is very light? It is replacing a pair of rain suit pants that weigh close to 1/2 lb. No wonder I replaced them, yes?

Get a Rain Kilt Here

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A new rain kilt was shown here a few weeks ago and I ordered one immediately from China. It is light, (nylon, though I first thought it to br cuben), with a velcro belt allowing for a proper fit. It falls below the knees which is just perfect. Did I say it is very light? It is replacing a pair of rain suit pants that weigh close to 1/2 lb. No wonder I replaced them, yes?

Get a Rain Kilt Here
I've enjoyed many of your posts and comments in recent months and can feel your enthusiasm. Hoping you have a very wonderful Camino, Michelle!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A new rain kilt was shown here a few weeks ago and I ordered one immediately from China. It is light, (nylon, though I first thought it to br cuben), with a velcro belt allowing for a proper fit. It falls below the knees which is just perfect. Did I say it is very light? It is replacing a pair of rain suit pants that weigh close to 1/2 lb. No wonder I replaced them, yes?

Get a Rain Kilt Here

You'll love it... ultra light, compact, great ventilation, can be used as a sit pad....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dave, you are not the only one living vicariously, lol. Here is the first vlog of a fine young Irish lad that started Feb 21/18. See how many hours it takes to watch them all, LMAO!!! :cool:

I watched them all. I’ll be walking around the same time next year, maybe 1-2 weeks later than him, so I soaked these up, every last one of them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A new rain kilt was shown here a few weeks ago and I ordered one immediately from China. It is light, (nylon, though I first thought it to be cuben), with a velcro belt allowing for a proper fit. It falls below the knees which is just perfect. Did I say it is very light? It is replacing a pair of rain suit pants that weigh close to 1/2 lb. No wonder I replaced them, yes?

Get a Rain Kilt Here
A fellow Canadian pilgrim lent me hers for my recent EL NORTE and I used it probably 28 of 38 days out on the camino.....it rained A LOT.....so light, so easy to whip on and off, kept me dry except for one day of malfunction (my fault) and never got hot. Somedays I wore it when the wind was cold on my thighs but not raining. I will definitely get one for myself for next years Camino. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
16 days for me too! (17 if you count the rest of today which we won’t) :) That rain shirt looks great, can I ask how long it took to arrive though? Thanks! :)
Jacky

There are a number of sources from which you can buy a rain skirt which would take less delivery time, if that is an issue. Where do you live?

All the very best for a healthy and buen camino, Michelle.

There are a number of sources from which you can buy a rain skirt which would take less delivery time, if that is an issue. Where do you live?
Thanks :) I'm in Dublin in Ireland and head off this day two weeks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dave, you are not the only one living vicariously, lol. Here is the first vlog of a fine young Irish lad that started Feb 21/18. See how many hours it takes to watch them all, LMAO!!! :cool:

This was an excellent Vlog. He was also interviewed by Dan on the My Camino podcast.

If you are handy with sewing, here's an instruction set -- with video -- which will let you make a rain skirt / wrap yourself.
http://backcountrybanter.com/make-rain-skirt-step-step-diy-gear-tips/
Is this the oldest reply to someone ever on here?.. 😆 I haven't been on here in ages and came back on tonight and was trying to remember what I'd last posted etc last year.. So in answer to you (cos I don't like to be rude) No I'm not in slightest bit handy with making clothes but thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting the info! :) I actually ordered one but it came too late for my camino..its sitting in my camino bag at the end of the wardrobe waiting for my next camino!.. It's so dinky and tiny and weighs nothing, I can't wait to get the next chance to use it! Its funny the things that excite us about the camino isn't it? Ha.. for me, it's literally anything to do with preparation for it.
Can. Not. Wait.

Hi Jacky...you speak my language! I love the prrparation and Can. Not. Wait. to go again. April 15th for me this year!

Hi Chris! Ah that's so cool you're going so soon! Which route and how long have you got?... (and I hope its ok to talk about this, like chatter 😁 on this thread?..if not some mod will surely tell me :) ) At the moment I'm tryyyiiing to carve out 4 weeks in September, I have two, but trying to negotiate with work/family/my purse lol another two to give myself more time.. fingers and toes and everything crossed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is this the oldest reply to someone ever on here?.. 😆 I haven't been on here in ages and came back on tonight and was trying to remember what I'd last posted etc last year.. So in answer to you (cos I don't like to be rude) No I'm not in slightest bit handy with making clothes but thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting the info! :) I actually ordered one but it came too late for my camino..its sitting in my camino bag at the end of the wardrobe waiting for my next camino!.. It's so dinky and tiny and weighs nothing, I can't wait to get the next chance to use it! Its funny the things that excite us about the camino isn't it? Ha.. for me, it's literally anything to do with preparation for it.
Can. Not. Wait.

I borrowed one fr El Norte (rained 90% of the days last March-April 2018). Ordered my own and love it. No clumsy ponchos for me.

Hi Chris! Ah that's so cool you're going so soon! Which route and how long have you got?... (and I hope its ok to talk about this, like chatter 😁 on this thread?..if not some mod will surely tell me :) ) At the moment I'm tryyyiiing to carve out 4 weeks in September, I have two, but trying to negotiate with work/family/my purse lol another two to give myself more time.. fingers and toes and everything crossed.
This time I am walking the Fisherman's Trail in southern Portugal first, then walking the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago. I will be gone one month. My other caminos have been the Frances 2015 and 2017, the Norte/Primitivo 2016, and June 2018 a month walk on the Le Puy in France. I started walking right after I retired!

Last edited:
I borrowed one fr El Norte (rained 90% of the days last March-April 2018). Ordered my own and love it. No clumsy ponchos for me.
yeah absolutely! I had a big rain poncho and rain trousers with me on the Portuguese Way and when it rained it came down fast and heavy!.. by the time I'd organise all that stuff I'd be half soaked and then roasting hot walking with it on! 😆 Rain skirt and lightweight rain top/jacket for the next one! 👍

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This time I am walking the Dusherman's Trail in southern Portugal first, then walking the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago. I will be gone one month. My other caminos have been the Frances 2015 and 2017, the Norte/Primitivo 2016, and June 2018 a month walk on the Le Puy in France. I started walking right after I retired!
Ah brill! :) I did Porto to Santiago in 2017 and loved it, quite different to the Frances, much flatter and easier on the knees for one thing! Very pretty scenery in places and would recommend (if you asked!ha) starting off on the coastal route then heading inland to Rates and onward from there.. Some of the places we stayed were just magic, and the food...oh the food! 😋

yeah absolutely! I had a big rain poncho and rain trousers with me on the Portuguese Way and when it rained it came down fast and heavy!.. by the time I'd organise all that stuff I'd be half soaked and then roasting hot walking with it on! 😆 Rain skirt and lightweight rain top/jacket for the next one! 👍

For the best absolute breathability in a rain jacket, plus the lightest weight, look for those made of Ventum laminate fabric. Ventum like the Zpacks Vertice. Ventum is the latest and greatest Wp/B (waterproof breathable) laminate fabric. If I were ever to use a rain jacket in place of a poncho (not a chance, btw :) ) that is what I would look for first.

Pros: nothing exceeds its lightness and its breathability. When Zpacks hired me to gear test it, I spent weeks in the most prolonged rainiest conditions I could manage -- Olympic Rainforest, North Cascade mountains, and yes, under the shower :) . Even under heavy load and activity, the amount of interior condensation and clamminess was much less than other rain jackets that I have used or tested.

Cons: Price. Zpacks Vertice rain jacket, for example, runs around $299.00. For me, that is a bargain as I cost my gear based on a cost per mile of use. I cover hundreds of miles per year backpacking and hiking, so the investment is negligible over that length of time.

For those who are only walking a Camino, or for relaxed, recreational walking around the town, then the cost may be too high for the benefit received if budget is a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get a Rain Kilt Here
Looks nice! Being 'a kilt' - any reason why a man cannot wear this? (I think that would be a fine addition to my Camino gear)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks nice! Being 'a kilt' - any reason why a man cannot wear this? (I think that would be a fine addition to my Camino gear)

It is the primary rain gear of a lot of male backpackers in the US. I use one, if it is really coming down hard and the rain is cold. Otherwise, my bare legs dry off quickly :)

It is the primary rain gear of a lot of male backpackers in the US. I use one, if it is really coming down hard and the rain is cold. Otherwise, my bare legs dry off quickly :)
AWESOME! thank you Sir and one is ordered right now 👍

no gender-barrier kilt that started with guys! How can one pass this up ;)
Thanks Michelle - one is in transit as we speak

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back