• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New record in August with 54 764 Compostelas

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
The pilgrim office says that this is a provisional figure since they have not yet incorporated the figures of the European Youth Pilgrimage. The largest number of foreign pilgrims were Italian, followed by the Germans , French and Portuguese.

Although numbers are expected to decline in September to around 30 000, yesterday over 700 pilgrims had registered at the Oficina del Peregrino de O Vilar.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And you should see the office right now...whilst the queue of pilgrims has dwindled therer is a room full of people stamping crdenciales and writing compostelas for the 12,000 young people who walked on the Youth Plgrimage. Current estimates are that it will take 1 month to complete the task and then post them to them in groups.

Phsew!!! The mind boggles!
How long before the Compostelas are issued electronically? Then all they have to do is punch in a name and a date!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This amount is fantastic. Hope its not as busy when I go on 15th September. Can anyone help me with a transport question?
I will arrive in Barcelona at 08h30 on 16th September. I need to catch a bus or train to Pamplona as I have booked accomodation for that night. Can anyone help with info on busses and/or trains. Thanks

The Bus line for Barcelona to Pamplona is Vibasa: http://www.vibasa.es . There are usually 5 bus connections daily.
At the BCN airport, exit the secured area and walk through the sky tunnel and left to the Cercania. It will take you to Sants Estación. Sants Estación has both the train station and the bus station you need. There are also 3 trains to Pamplona

sillydoll said:
Phsew!!! The mind boggles!
How long before the Compostelas are issued electronically? Then all they have to do is punch in a name and a date!

Fascinating. The technology is already in the Office and there has been much discussion on this. The conclusion is that handwriting the Compostela is continuing the long held tradition which stretches back to the beginnings of the document. Then there is the problem of deciphering names, spelling them correctly with the huge variety of accents which appear over or under letters in many languages. Pilgrims also want to arrive and spend at least a few minutes chatting about their experience.

All that being said, at the height of the queues we did fantasise about machines on the street where you feed in your credencial which reads the sellos, prints your compostela and an image of the archbishop appears on the screen to congratulate you - press button a) for Spanish, b) for German c) for Korean etc Then if you haven't done it as you walk away he reappears to remind you about the donation :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Any idea what the projected 2010 pilgrim/compostela numbers are likely to be?

225 000 - and another 500 000 walking parts of the route.

Looks more to 250.00 to me.
225.000 point is already passed.
I made some extrapolation from numbers on the past 10 years, and 250.000 pops out.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back