• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Regulation requiring match between passport & reservatio

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
I purchased my non-refundable ticket on Iberia from a travel agent in March using my first and last name. Now a new HSA regulation says that your ticketed name must EXACTLY match your passport name. And the emphasis is on EXACTLY. My passport has my middle name which my ticket does not. "Secure Flight" (this wonderful new program) highly recommends that your passport, driver's license and any other goverment issued id all have EXACTLY the same name or you risk being held up for additional screening/questioning or not being issued a boarding pass. Luckily my driver's license and passport match--hoping that if I show up with enough corresponding picture id, that somehow I will get through. This new rule went into effect May 15, 2009. It goes into effect on October 31, 2009 for international flights out of/into USA.

I have now talked with the travel agent, Iberia and American Airlines (I take a flight from Reagan to Logan to catch the flight to Madrid). The travel agent said the best she could do was make a note on my record because Iberia does not permit name changes once a reservation has been confirmed. I called Iberia--they do not permit name changes and said this is an USA problem and not theirs. I called American (since that is the first flight I take and it is also domestic)--they can't do anything because the flight was ticketed through Iberia. The AA agent told me this rule was only for international flights so I didn't need AA to do anything anyway--WRONG. It is for all domestic flights. So even the airlines don't have it figured out. Anyone else running into this? Anyone else had any experience with this at an airport yet if your ticket name does not EXACTLY match your passport name? And oh, by the way, passports can't handle Jr, III, hypenated names so this could get ugly in some very interesting ways. And if you don't have a middle name......

I am planning to get to the airport with lots of time to be sure this all works out--what a nightmare! Guess this is how the Camino begins.............

In the mean time, if you haven't purchased your ticket yet--be aware.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A friend of mine had this problem when she went to Mexico & the names on her ticket & passport didn't match. She had to take a copy of her birth certificate & marriage license to prove who she was in order to get back into the country.

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No need to panic. This is from the TSA Secure Flight website:
"TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger’s ID and the passenger’s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information."

The new Secure Flight Program has begun with U.S. domestic flights and will cover international flights into, over, and from the U.S. later in Phase II. It should not affect Camino travel yet, but you can never tell what power-drunk security personnel will do! You can regularly find Americans treated the same way that the U.S. treats visitors from other countries regardless of the actual "rules." What goes around, comes around.

More from the TSA website:

Q. The name printed on my boarding is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

A. Boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences should not impact your travel. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list.

Q. What if my name and I.D. do not exactly match when I arrive at security? Will I be turned away and unable to fly?

A. No. Secure Flight will not impact the process at the security checkpoint in any way. At the security checkpoint, TSA strives to ensure you are who you say you are. TSA performs travel document checking to see that you, your identification, and your boarding pass match and are valid. TSA performs this function because identity matters and it is critical to security to ensure that individuals with hostile intent do not board aircraft. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list. Secure Flight will not impact the security checkpoint experience. While Secure Flight and travel document checking are both critical security functions, they serve different purposes at different points in the security process.

TSA agents like to make things up as they go along, I've found. Doesn't matter that the website says some flexibility is fine, but that's not going to help you if you get a TSA agent on a power-trip who demands to know why your plane ticket only has your middle initial & your driver's license has your entier middle name. :roll:

Kelly

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just remind yourself as you stand in line that this is all meant to keep the world safe for Democracy. Another way to keep the citizenry safe, happy and prosperous in the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. :?

And don't forget those horrendous exploding EXPENSIVE bottles of booze and perfume they allow you purchase in the Heathrow airport, but confiscate at the gate! I often wonder how they divy that up at the end of the day?

I agree this is a bit "much" but alas, it's the way of the world these days.

This is good information. Thanks.
We were especially careful to put our reservation names the same as our passport names.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back