• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD New requirements for US travel to Spain — effective Sept. 6, 2021

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Time of past OR future Camino
To Santiago + back.
2400 km, 950 nmi, 160 d.
I’m scheduled to fly out the 9th and share your concerns. Do know the any EU decision is a guideline and individual countries can modify as they see fit. My hopes are that at most Spain will change entry requirements to require vaccination.
Spain is now following the EU Recommendation and has put it into their national law: As of midnight on Sunday, September 5 (the night from Sunday to Monday Spanish time), the entry requirements for travellers from the United States to Spain will have changed again.

As a traveller with a completed vaccination program, you will be allowed to enter Spain but you will now have to provide proof of vaccination. I presume that you will see this when you open your SpTH application for the Spanish QR code and enter your vaccination details during the 48 hour period before your flight.

My understanding is that non-vaccinated travellers from the USA are now barred again from non-essential travel (such as a tourism trip) to Spain.

Bon voyage & buen camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, be careful when you fill out the form for your QR code. My husband accidently said he had been in contact with someone who had Covid when he had NOT. He received "special screening" for this on arrival in Madrid this week. Also the CDC vaccine card lists the date in the reverse order as is done in Spain so he had to explain that as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is the latest release from the Spanish Embassy in Washington D.C. for U.S. travelers to Spain:

"Since September 6, travellers from the US will be authorized to enter Spain if they are fully vaccinated and carry a valid vaccinatation certificate and the QR code provided at https://spth.gob.es."

I presume that you will see this when you open your SpTH application for the Spanish QR code and enter your vaccination details during the 48 hour period before your flight.
The SpTH app has been updated to incorporate the recent changes. The QR that you now receive as a traveller from the US is a "Documental control" QR code and no longer a "Fast Control" QR code as before. You must take your proof of vaccination with you when you travel to Spain (for flights as of September 6).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As someone going to Spain on the first day of the new policy, I am delighted to know that everyone on the plane will be vaccinated!
I agree. That would make me a lot more comfortable while traveling right now. Especially since Spain has a high vaccination rate right now, and still increasing.

Just received my QR code and it was easy to enter my vaccination information. One little trick to watch for... When you enter your information using an iPhone you will scan the list of approved vaccines and not see Pfizer or BionTch. On the SpTH it is listed as BNT 16262. Once you select that, you can see Pfizer. I had to Google until I found that bit of information. Hope that helps those Pfizer folks. I am flying tomorrow...YES!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can you share a link? We leave October 1st!!
This will be a long answer but I hope it is useful. Things will change between today and next week and possibly between next week and the 1st of October. I will try to explain where and how to find relevant and up to date information about entry requirements for Spain. One of the forum moderators, @C clearly, maintains a thread What are the latest Covid-related requirements for travel? with links to the official information websites that are of interest to forum members. For Spain it is a Ministry of Health (MoH) site, the SpTH (Spain Travel Health) site and the Travel Safe Spain site. All are useful.

The MoH site has information about present and future entry requirements (see screenshot below) under the following tabs:
  • Entry Requirements for Entry in Spain from Third Countries. The United States are a "third country", a name used for all countries that do not belong to the EU or the Schengen Area.
  • Risk Countries/Areas. This tab contains the list of those third countries from where travellers can enter Spain without the requirement to be vaccinated or tested. Often you see two lists, one for the current week and one for the following week.
  • Legislation. Needs no further explanation.
It can be time-consuming to study all this. Luckily, they recently added a Map of entry and health control requirements in Spain, depending on your country of departure. In this map, the USA is coloured green but this will turn to red after the update next week. Using the alphabetical search option to find the USA, the entry requirements are displayed.
  • Currently it says: Passengers arriving in Spain by air or sea, including those arriving in transit to other countries, must complete a Health Control Form before departure and obtain their QR to present at boarding and health controls on arrival in Spain.
    That is all, any traveller from the US can enter Spain, they just need to obtain the Spanish health QR for their airport of arrival in Spain.

• After the update next week, it will say: Third country national passengers [...] will be subject to denial of entry, for reasons of public order or public health, unless they belong to one of the following categories: [followed by a long list of special categories ending with] Persons with a vaccination certificate.
    This means that only vaccinated travellers from the US are allowed entry and they must have proof of their vaccination and their Spanish Health QR code.
(Click to enlarge)
Links.jpg

Last edited:
My wife and I will be flying to Madrid from Atlanta next Wednesday, September 8, for a “modified” Camino, beginning in Pamplona and ending in Leon. We have both done Caminos before, (4 for me and 1 for her), so this time we are going to be pilgrims some and tourists some, spending two days in some of my favorite places—-Pamplona, Burgos, and Leon. We received the following email from Delta yesterday. I thought this might be helpful to others who will be flying soon.
Note that the email says provide ONE of the following.
We look forward to seeing you on your upcoming flight to Spain. As you plan for upcoming travel, we’re committed to providing the information you need to be prepared, safe and secure upon arrival.
Effective September 6 (including departures from the U.S. on September 5), all passengers will be required to provide one of the following documents: [1] proof of full vaccination or recovery; [2] a negative NAAT test taken within 72 hours of arrival; or [3] a negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival. Children under 12 years of age are exempt.
All passengers must still complete a Health Control Form and obtain their QR code to be presented at boarding and upon arrival into Spain.​

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just received my QR code and it was easy to enter my vaccination information. One little trick to watch for... When you enter your information using an iPhone you will scan the list of approved vaccines and not see Pfizer or BionTch. On the SpTH it is listed as BNT 16262.

Jim, do you remember whether you were required to enter vaccination information or whether you were given the option of providing evidence of a negative test?

We received the following email from Delta yesterday. I thought this might be helpful to others who will be flying soon….. all passengers will be required to provide one of the following documents: [1] proof of full vaccination or recovery; [2] a negative NAAT test taken within 72 hours of arrival; or [3] a negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival.

This is definitely not consistent with what has been reported elsewhere. The Embassy of Spain tweeted what was reported above — that you must have a vaccination.

Given the clear inconsistency, if I were unvaccinated and planning to travel to Spain in the next few days, I would definitely pursue this further.

Jim, do you remember whether you were required to enter vaccination information or whether you were given the option of providing evidence of a negative test?

This is definitely not consistent with what has been reported elsewhere. The Embassy of Spain tweeted what was reported above — that you must have a vaccination.

Given the clear inconsistency, if I were unvaccinated and planning to travel to Spain in the next few days, I would definitely pursue this further.

Thank you for the updated information. We are both vaccinated, so we are OK with these requirements.

I am a bit nervous as I'm hoping to walk December - Jan (2nd Camino). One of the things which comforted me was the level of double vax that the Spanish had. Just to confirm Spain is only letting double vaxxed in, plus a negative PCR test? I know EU has their rules, and I'm use to travelling Europe freely, but with Covid - I just want to double check the risk level. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the updated information. We are both vaccinated, so we are OK with these requirements.
I hope Delta gets its act together. Language pulled directly from two different places on their website, and it is inconsistent. So I wouldn’t rely on Delta to give you good information!

________________________________________________________________________________

Important: As of September 6, residents of the USA and Israel can only enter Spain with a vaccination certificate. Non-vaccinated passengers can only travel in case of essential trips with some testing requirements. Please see below.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Spain: Open with No Quarantine​

Effective September 6, U.S. passengers will be required to provide one of the following: proof of full vaccination or recovery; a negative NAAT test taken within 72 hours of arrival; or a negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival. Full details.

Hi Laurie,

Sorry I don’t. I had pre-filled in the SpTH information days ago. SpTH emailed me a link and said it was time to fill out the information for my QR code. I was surprised to see them ask for my vaccination information, but I filled it in. I do not recall the option of a PCR/Antigen test. I do recall that if you did not have vaccination info, you would be required to go through screening upon arrival. You can start the process prior to 48 hours. The beauty of that is that they emailed me to tell me it was time to finish the process. It was great that they had updated the forms and except for Pfizer being a number, all went smoothly. Sorry for the late response, I have been visiting grandkids before my flight tomorrow. I am so looking forward to walking… praying… and not seeing the world news. See you in Lugo I hope!

Hi Laurie,

Sorry I don’t. I had pre-filled in the SpTH information days ago. SpTH emailed me a link and said it was time to fill out the information for my QR code. I was surprised to see them ask for my vaccination information, but I filled it in. I do not recall the option of a PCR/Antigen test. I do recall that if you did not have vaccination info, you would be required to go through screening upon arrival. You can start the process prior to 48 hours. The beauty of that is that they emailed me to tell me it was time to finish the process. It was great that they had updated the forms and except for Pfizer being a number, all went smoothly. Sorry for the late response, I have been visiting grandkids before my flight tomorrow. I am so looking forward to walking… praying… and not seeing the world news. See you in Lugo I hope!
I would be surprised if Spain did not require the double vaccination proof. The country is 70% double vaxxed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes it is and I am happy to be going there. Let’s try to stick to factual information. As of now, U.S. citizens need to provide their vaccination information. That is all I know.

I hope Delta gets its act together. Language pulled directly from two different places on their website, and it is inconsistent. So I wouldn’t rely on Delta to give you good information!

________________________________________________________________________________

Important: As of September 6, residents of the USA and Israel can only enter Spain with a vaccination certificate. Non-vaccinated passengers can only travel in case of essential trips with some testing requirements. Please see below.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Spain: Open with No Quarantine​

Effective September 6, U.S. passengers will be required to provide one of the following: proof of full vaccination or recovery; a negative NAAT test taken within 72 hours of arrival; or a negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival. Full details.
It may seem inconsistent, but it actually isn't. The first quote talks about who is allowed into the country, which in the case of those from the US will only be those who are vaccinated or are traveling for essential reasons.

The second quote just refers to passengers, some of whom may be traveling for essential reasons, and therefore don't have to be vaccinated (darn, there goes @peregrina2000's dream of a fully vaccinated plane!) But those unvaccinated essential travel passengers will be subject to other requirements, like Covid testing.

I do agree though that it is a bit confusing. They should have language in the quote that says something about essential travel.

Last edited:
It may seem inconsistent, but it actually isn't. The first quote talks about who is allowed into the country, which in the case of those from the US will only be those who are vaccinated or are traveling for essential reasons.

The second quote just refers to passengers, some of whom may be traveling for essential reasons, and therefore don't have to be vaccinated (darn, there goes @peregrina2000's dream of a fully vaccinated plane!) But those unvaccinated essential travel passengers will be subject to other requirements, like Covid testing.

I do agree though that it is a bit confusing. They should have language in the quote that says something about essential travel.
Good parsing! We had gotten used to the distinction between essential travel and non-essential travel to Spain before they opened it up to tourism in June, and I agree that should make clearer that “passengers” includes both essential and non-essential.

What really threw me was the email @Don's Brother got from Delta yesterday. They also failed to indicate that “US passengers” included essential and non-essential travelers.

But in any event, it seems clear that US tourists must be vaccinated to go to Spain, which is where @Kathar1na started us off in the first place!

I’ll leave the thread open in case there are updates from people on the ground.

Just got my QR code so I am good to go!

I fly to Madrid Monday the 13th and am having a hard time finding a place to get a covid test with results on the Saturday before. Does the covid test itself have to be done within 48 hours of flight or does the 48 hours pertain only to completion of the SpTH form?

I fly to Madrid Monday the 13th and am having a hard time finding a place to get a covid test with results on the Saturday before. Does the covid test itself have to be done within 48 hours of flight or does the 48 hours pertain only to completion of the SpTH form?
I don't believe that fully vaccinated travelers need a test, and unvaccinated leisure travelers will not be permitted.

The SpTH form must be submitted within 48 hrs of the flight.

When you click on "Full details" the page has this box on it.

20210905_091842.jpg

When you click "View More Requirement Details" you will read this:

Spain is open to fully vaccinated passengers and are exempt from quarantine and presenting a negative COVID-19 test result.

Then below it says this:

Spain is open to many travelers. Testing and quarantine may be required. Also, every passenger must pre-register electronically before departure. Check below in the forms section the requirements.

Here's the important thing - you need to scroll down to read who these "many travelers" are. There's a long list of who is allowed such as Spanish nationals, certain students, residents of particular countries, etc.
Then near the bottom of this section is this:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
they recently added a Map of entry and health control requirements in Spain, depending on your country of departure. In this map, the USA is coloured green but this will turn to red after the update next week. Using the alphabetical search option to find the USA, the entry requirements are displayed.
The world map about entry requirements of Spain has been updated. The USA and most of the rest of the world is coloured red in the Spanish classification system. It means that travellers from these red areas are subject to entry restrictions.

General rule:
  • Travellers (travellers and not nationals!) from red non-EU countries must have proof of vaccination; no tests required; business and leisure trips are not allowed for those who are not vaccinated.
  • Travellers from EU countries must have either proof of vaccination or proof of negative test or recovery from illness IF they are coming from an area in the EU that Spain has classified as a risk area (red area).
Check the website regularly if you plan to travel to Spain soon or want to stay up to date. Note the reference to entry requirements at air and sea entry points, and land entry in the case of travelling from France! There are no entry requirements for land entry when you go from Portugal to Spain.

Screenshot (not interactive like the actual map on the website)
Map.jpg

Last edited:
I flew last night BOS to MAD. Arrived early, sailed through, and caught the 11 am Alsa bus to Leo. I am on it now. Start Salvador on Wed. I flew Iberia and they thoroughly checked my passport, vaccination card and QR before giving me my boarding pass. I did check in on line, but they still physically checked everything. In Madrid they scanned QR. All went smoothly.

I flew last night BOS to MAD. Arrived early, sailed through, and caught the 11 am Alsa bus to Leo. I am on it now. Start Salvador on Wed. I flew Iberia and they thoroughly checked my passport, vaccination card and QR before giving me my boarding pass. I did check in on line, but they still physically checked everything. In Madrid they scanned QR. All went smoothly.
Jim ME,
Welcome to Europe! All your digital followers will be so glad that "all went smoothly". Do let us know how life is on the Salvator when you can.

Stay safe, Carpe diem and Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 108525

Spain is open to fully vaccinated passengers and are exempt from quarantine and presenting a negative COVID-19 test result.

Then below it says this:

Spain is open to many travelers. Testing and quarantine may be required. Also, every passenger must pre-register electronically before departure. Check below in the forms section the requirements.

Here's the important thing - you need to scroll down to read who these "many travelers" are. There's a long list of who is allowed such as Spanish nationals, certain students, residents of particular countries, etc.

Thanks trecile. All my worrying and I don't even need the covid test. I had covid a year ago and I've been vaccinated. Guess my brain is churning now that I'm a week out from take off.

For those flying from the US to Spain, does the vaccination certificate from the CDC need to be the actual CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card itself (physically) or will a photo of the card stored on a mobile phone be sufficient? The EU one appears to be a digital certificate, not a paper card. In traveling to Hawaii through the state's Safe Travels website, a digital photo of the CDC vaccination card was sufficient. I would really prefer not to have to take the actual card itself because if it got torn, smudged or lost, I don't know how I would replace it. Relatively speaking, passports are easier to replace than the CDC record card.

For those flying from the US to Spain, does the vaccination certificate from the CDC need to be the actual CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card itself (physically) or will a photo of the card stored on a mobile phone be sufficient? The EU one appears to be a digital certificate, not a paper card. In traveling to Hawaii through the state's Safe Travels website, a digital photo of the CDC vaccination card was sufficient. I would really prefer not to have to take the actual card itself because if it got torn, smudged or lost, I don't know how I would replace it. Relatively speaking, passports are easier to replace than the CDC record card.
I don't know the answer to your question, but if you do need to take the actual card you can get a sturdy plastic sleeve for it.
I bought some like this on Amazon for myself and my family.
Screenshot_20210907-210033_Firefox.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Laurie,

Please tell me what you mean about Pfizer being a number. Thanks.

Thanks trecile. All my worrying and I don't even need the covid test. I had covid a year ago and I've been vaccinated. Guess my brain is churning now that I'm a week out from take off.
But don't you need a test in order to board the plane in the US anyway?

View attachment 108525

Then below it says this:

Thanks for this info, trecile. And it occurs to me as a vaccinated US citizen who is first going to UK, will Spain be OK (as of today) with me not being tested when I continue my journey? I have to be tested to board the plane in the US for arrival in UK, and have to repeat (and pay for) another test 2 days later in UK. The map looks like UK is the same color as the US, so maybe that means I will not need yet another test to enter Spain from UK. Fingers crossed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For those flying from the US to Spain, does the vaccination certificate from the CDC need to be the actual CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card itself (physically) or will a photo of the card stored on a mobile phone be sufficient? The EU one appears to be a digital certificate, not a paper card
I don't see this question being addressed in the FAQ on the Spanish government websites. Spain seems to be quite generous and relaxed as far as compliance with their entry requirements is concerned.

In my personal opinion, a photo is not a document. The EU Digital certificate was conceived as such from the beginning, its QR code contains not only personal data that allow to verify the identity of the holder of the certificate but also a unique identifier code and a digital signature that allows to verify the authenticity of the digital certificate. A far cry from a mere photo of a CDC card or a WHO vaccination pass for example.

The map looks like UK is the same color as the US, so maybe that means I will not need yet another test to enter Spain from UK
The fact that countries have the same colour in the Spanish SpTH map does not mean that the entry requirements from these countries are the same. The USA, the UK and a number of regions of EU countries have currently the same red colour. The requirements for entry into Spain are different.

For travellers coming into Spain from:
  • USA and many other non-EU countries: vaccination required; non-essential travel not allowed for non-vaccinated
  • UK: either vaccination OR negative test required;
  • EU country: either vaccination OR negative test OR recovery only required if coming from a risk area; the list of risk areas within the EU is updated every week by the Spanish Health Department and published on their website.
Whether you are regarded as a traveller who travels from the UK to Spain or who merely has transited the UK on the way from the USA will depend on the circumstances and length of your stay in the UK. As so often now, those who travel and are vaccinated are generally in a better position than those who are not.

Last edited:
The fact that countries have the same colour in the Spanish SpTH map does not mean that the entry requirements from these countries are the same. The USA, the UK and a number of regions of EU countries have currently the same red colour. The requirements for entry into Spain are different.

For travellers coming into Spain from:
  • USA and many other non-EU countries: vaccination required; non-essential travel not allowed for non-vaccinated
  • UK: either vaccination OR negative test required;
  • EU country: either vaccination OR negative test OR recovery only required if coming from a risk area; the list of risk areas within the EU is updated every week by the Spanish Health Department and published on their website.
Whether you are regarded as a traveller who travels from the UK to Spain or who merely has transited the UK on the way from the USA will depend on the circumstances and length of your stay in the UK. As so often now, those who travel and are vaccinated are generally in a better position than those who are not.
Thanks.
Wait and see.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In case it helps anyone, these were a couple of issues we ran into at the last minute:

We planned on taking a Covid test last night prior to our flight today from the US to France (via Iceland on IcelandAir), even though it appears France does not require a Covid test for vaccinated people.

However, when we got to the urgent care for the "travel test" that we signed up for, they informed us that they use the "Abbot ID-NOW NAAT" test and that Iceland does not accept that as a valid PCR/antigen test.

In that moment we learned:
1) that Iceland appears to require a PCR or antigen test (and evidently not the NAAT test) - even for passengers just transiting between flights at the airport.
2) we learned that to be safe, ensure that the test is truly titled a "PCR" test.

On trying to research the NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test), there appears to be some confusion as to whether it is a PCR test valid for travel or not. Some say yes, some say no - so it may depend on who is looking at the test and whether they believe it meets criteria or not. Safer to ensure the test documentation says "PCR" just to be sure!

We somehow found open PCR test slots, so now have our fingers crossed that we have all of the tests and documentation we need to make it to SJPdP this Friday!

Yes but I can get one Friday with test results. I was having a really hard time finding a test place that would give results on Sat or Sun. Just beam me up Scottie!

I don't think one necessarily needs a test to get on a plane in the US bound internationally; it depends on where one is flying to.

I don't believe that France requires a test upon entry for vaccinated people - just a form that needs to be completed along with vax records . (please correct me if I'm wrong here; don't want to lead anyone astray).

However, Iceland does require a test, even for people just changing planes there.

So, I think if our flight was direct from the US to Paris that we wouldn't have been required to have a test. (again, correct me if I'm wrong here). We planned to get one anyway, just in case we were wrong on that point - and it just seems like the right thing to do.

Eric

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It looks like, and please correct me if I am wrong, but this new policy that begins on September 6 is only valid until September 12 and then Spain will issue updated guidance.
https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm
Am I correct about this?
No. Spain will not change or update their entry requirements for regular travellers from the United States after September 12.

Spain will change these entry requirements for travellers departing from the USA only if and when they publish a new Orden (order, decree) in the BOE/Boletín Oficial del Estate that says so, and this is unlikely to happen before 30 September when the current order is due to end. This applies to regular travellers from the United States which means people who cannot claim an exception rule under Spanish law because they belong to a specific category of travellers, thanks to their (double) nationality, their permanent residence in Spain or another EU country, their family relationship with an EU national or EU resident, or their job/official task, and all this independent of their vaccination status.

It is correct that everything there is to know is on the www.spth.gob.es and www.mscbs.gob.es webpages, and in the links listed there. Some info applies to non-EU travellers except UK travellers, some only to travellers from the UK, some only to EU travellers (nationality), some only to travellers coming from an EU country (any nationality), some only to travellers from specific areas within the EU, and only the latter info changes every seven days.

What is stated on the www.spth.gob.es and www.mscbs.gob.es webpages and in the links listed there is all pretty obvious I guess and all these different kinds of information are no doubt easy to keep apart for any reader.

Last edited:
The Spanish government never publishes any specific announcements about imminent changes of entry requirements on the www.spth.gob.es and www.mscbs.gob.es webpages. If your trip is imminent, you need to get your up to date information about imminent changes from elsewhere.

For example, the last change of entry requirements for travellers from the USA and from Israel was published on Friday morning in the BOE and took effect within less than 3 days on Monday morning. Crystal clear to anyone who is familiar with what this means. There was no other official announcement, no press conference, no press release. It took a while until the information about the change had filtered through to the Spanish and international news media and the embassy and airline newsletters. A considerable amount of confusion was therefore guaranteed.

On Monday morning, ground staff in at least one smaller US airport were still unsure about the new rules, and I was amused today that even now, a week later, a poster in a Camino FB group was still reporting that he had phoned American, Delta and even Iberia USA and had been given the information that all non-essential travel from the USA to Spain was prohibited by Spain. Which is true, but apparently they had not told him that there was an exception to this rule: for vaccinated travellers coming to Spain from anywhere in the world (or nearly anywhere, I didn't bother to check for any current exceptions to THIS exception).

Last edited:
The Spanish government never publishes any specific announcements about imminent changes of entry requirements on the www.spth.gob.es and www.mscbs.gob.es webpages.
Without a word on any of their two websites, the Spanish Health department posted today their two lists defining risk countries and risk zones for the week starting on 13 September; if I hadn't noticed that their list of non-EU safe countries is even shorter than before, I wouldn't have noticed that six further countries have been removed from the list, among them Japan, and one country has been added, namely Uruguay. This means that all pilgrims from Japan (who are however absent from Caminos in Spain this year) must have proof of vaccination while pilgrims from Uruguay can travel from home to Spain without restrictions, whether they are vaccinated or not.

The significance of these changes are obvious to anyone who has been watching this for weeks if not months. However, I would still challenge the claim that it is obvious to the casual reader. Unlike in the case of the recent removal of the USA from the safe list, this week's changes go unnoticed because they are of no interest to the overwhelming majority of forum members.

More relevant is the fact that the list of the risk areas in the EU includes all of France. This means that anyone coming from France, including by land, must have proof of either vaccination or a recent and still valid negative test result or recovery from illness. It is another clear statement on this Spanish government website but I notice from comments in various threads that the significance of this part of the weekly list is poorly understood. And remember: the fact that you are not controlled at a border crossing does not mean that you don't have to comply with the law of the country that you enter.

Last edited:

€46,-
Without a word on any of their two websites, the Spanish Health department posted today their two lists defining risk countries and risk zones for the week starting on 13 September; if I hadn't noticed that their list of non-EU safe countries is even shorter than before, I wouldn't have noticed that six further countries have been removed from the list, among them Japan, and one country has been added, namely Uruguay. This means that all pilgrims from Japan (who are however absent from Caminos in Spain this year) must have proof of vaccination while pilgrims from Uruguay can travel from home to Spain without restrictions, whether they are vaccinated or not.

The significance of these changes are obvious to anyone who has been watching this for weeks if not months. However, I would still challenge the claim that it is obvious to the casual reader. Unlike in the case of the recent removal of the USA from the safe list, this week's changes go unnoticed because they are of no interest to the overwhelming majority of forum members.

More relevant is the fact that the list of the risk areas in the EU includes all of France. This means that anyone coming from France, including by land, must have proof of either vaccination or a recent and still negative test result or recovery from illness. It is another clear statement on this Spanish government website but I notice from comments in various threads that the significance of this part of the weekly list is poorly understood. And remember: the fact that you are not controlled at a border crossing does not mean that you must not comply with the law of the country that you enter.
Where are you finding this info? Is there another site where the Spanish government posts their disclosures and rule changes? Because you're right about the main Spain Health sites being out of date to the casual glance.

Where are you finding this info? Is there another site where the Spanish government posts their disclosures and rule changes? Because you're right about the main Spain Health sites being out of date to the casual glance.
They are not out of date as such. It's just that important updates of these webpages happen only on the day when a change is being implemented for real - which may be a bit late or a bit unnerving for people who are due to travel on that day.

When you follow European news (at EU level or at country level), you can sense when a change may be imminent. It is often reported or alluded to in national news, and you can then start to watch the national websites where laws are officially published. Also, the Schengen Visa Info site, a commercial website, collects relevant bits and pieces of news, and they are often one of the first to report but they are not always right.

As an example: today, I saw that France Bans Unvaccinated Americans From Entering the Country, and when I subsequently checked French national news, I saw that France has indeed adopted a decree yesterday (Arrêté du 9 septembre 2021) that says that this will apply from 12 September; and then I also found the actual decree on Legifrance where all the French laws are published. The decree was published this morning.

So this will really happen within less than 2 days, and it means that as of midnight from Saturday to Sunday 12 September, non-vaccinated pilgrims travelling from the USA will not be allowed to enter Spain directly at a Spanish airport but they will also no longer be allowed to enter at a French airport to then travel on to SJPP and Spain.

Last edited:
In case it helps anyone, these were a couple of issues we ran into at the last minute:

We planned on taking a Covid test last night prior to our flight today from the US to France (via Iceland on IcelandAir), even though it appears France does not require a Covid test for vaccinated people.

However, when we got to the urgent care for the "travel test" that we signed up for, they informed us that they use the "Abbot ID-NOW NAAT" test and that Iceland does not accept that as a valid PCR/antigen test.

In that moment we learned:
1) that Iceland appears to require a PCR or antigen test (and evidently not the NAAT test) - even for passengers just transiting between flights at the airport.
2) we learned that to be safe, ensure that the test is truly titled a "PCR" test.

On trying to research the NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test), there appears to be some confusion as to whether it is a PCR test valid for travel or not. Some say yes, some say no - so it may depend on who is looking at the test and whether they believe it meets criteria or not. Safer to ensure the test documentation says "PCR" just to be sure!

We somehow found open PCR test slots, so now have our fingers crossed that we have all of the tests and documentation we need to make it to SJPdP this Friday!
Good grief. Let's climb the Tower of Babel!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anyone have any insight on connecting through Amsterdam/Schipol? I am vaccinated and ready with my forms and QR for Spain but it looks like I will need to have a negative COVID test result to transfer planes in Amsterdam. Thoughts?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anyone have any insight on connecting through Amsterdam/Schipol? I am vaccinated and ready with my forms and QR for Spain but it looks like I will need to have a negative COVID test result to transfer planes in Amsterdam. Thoughts?

Can I transfer at Schiphol?​

Yes, you can transfer at Schiphol if you are coming from a country or area that is considered safe due to low risk of coronavirus infection. If your onward journey is within 24 hours and you do not leave the airport, you are not required to present a negative test result for your transfer. However, you do need to bring a completed health declaration with you. This applies to all travellers aged 13 and over. Please check the requirements of your final destination to ensure you comply with the entry regulations of that country or area. You may be checked for this when boarding your next flight.

Fully vaccinated​

You are also allowed to transfer at Schiphol if you are fully vaccinated and you are able to show valid proof of vaccination. If you stay at the airport during your transfer, you will not have to do any extra tests. However, do check what the coronavirus rules are in the country you are travelling to. If you are travelling from a very high-risk area, you may be required to show a negative test result before boarding the plane.

Mandatory quarantine declaration​

The quarantine declaration is mandatory for all travellers from very high-risk areas, regardless of whether they are making a transfer or staying in the Netherlands. You can print, complete and sign the form or use the digital quarantine declaration at quarantinedeclaration.government.nl. On the form, you indicate that you are transferring at Schiphol and that you are therefore exempt from quarantine in the Netherlands. You can find a list of safe, high-risk and very high-risk areas on the Dutch government website. Check the website to find out what applies to your journey.

Do I need to take another test when transferring?​

No, that is not necessary. If you stay at Schiphol during your transfer, you do not need a new negative COVID-19 test result. The test result you had upon arrival at Schiphol remains valid during your transfer, including any potential delays. If you leave Schiphol during your transfer, this counts as a new journey and you are required to present a new negative test result. You can find out more on the Dutch government website.

Hope this helps.

You are also allowed to transfer at Schiphol if you are fully vaccinated and you are able to show valid proof of vaccination. [...] If you are travelling from a very high-risk area, you may be required to show a negative test result before boarding the plane. [...] You can find a list of safe, high-risk and very high-risk areas on the Dutch government website.
So, will @thistleamy be travelling from a safe, from a high-risk or from a very high-risk area? FWIW, the United States are currently on the Dutch government's list of "very high-risk areas".

I wrote earlier that my impression of what I read on the Schiphol website is that @thistleamy who is fully vaccinated and travels from the USA does not need a negative test result when transferring at Schiphol for a flight to Spain.

But the text quoted here illustrate why travellers are puzzled by information spread out over official websites because the official information sounds sometimes contradictory to the reader. What does it mean in practical terms for someone who intends to travel in about two weeks and wants to get organised when the Dutch government seems say to fully vaccinated travellers form the USA and for their transit at the Amsterdam airport that they don't need a negative test result but they may be required to show a negative test result before boarding the plane ??? Did someone merely fail to edit this out during one of the many updates of the webpages or is there some context that isn't explicitly stated but the reader is supposed to know? And boarding which plane? It took me a while before it dawned on me that they may be referring to the plane you board after transit ...

Last edited:
Katherina and others - thank you so much for the links, etc. I have visited the Schipol website and read all their updates but as you say Katherina it is very confusing. I am traveling from the US - so high risk. I will get tested before I leave and have that documentation ready just in case. Better safe than sorry. My other concern is that I only have about 90 minutes for the transfer which even in the best of times at Schipol was a tight window. But pilgrimage is about the journey - and what a journey this might be!

Thank you again - safe travels to all. PS - here is an interesting article from the Rick Steves team about travel shaming in the time of pandemic:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you again - safe travels to all. PS - here is an interesting article from the Rick Steves team about travel shaming in the time of pandemic:
What a great article although I've only read half of it so far as I'm just out the door.
I was first introduced to my love of European travel through Rick Steve's videos and then his travel guides, long before I started walking Caminos. Thanks for providing the link!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SpTH Question.
I’ll be starting the Camino Portuguese in two weeks (US to Porto). We’re double jabbed and will get our COVID tests prior to departure. Within a week we‘ll arrive in Spain (by foot) - so how do I complete the SpTH? My App asks if we are arriving by plane or by ferry? Do I provide the flight info from the Porto arrival?
Obrigada and gracias.

SpTH Question.
I’ll be starting the Camino Portuguese in two weeks (US to Porto). We’re double jabbed and will get our COVID tests prior to departure. Within a week we‘ll arrive in Spain (by foot) - so how do I complete the SpTH? My App asks if we are arriving by plane or by ferry? Do I provide the flight info from the Porto arrival?
Obrigada and gracias.
You don't need it when arriving on foot.

Thanks you @trecile
Here is the info from the Spanish Ministry of Health

Current Public Health Alerts
Travel and COVID-19
Travel Within Spain
International travel and COVID-19
Travel to Spain
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY IN SPAIN FROM THIRD COUNTRIES

"At the present time it is not mandatory to present any form if the trip to Spain is by land."

Last edited:
Another SpTH question for the group. (Please don't reply if you are just assuming or guessing.) I started working on my SpTH forms for our upcoming trip. We were 13 days out, and the partially completed form was still in suspense, as they do these things. Yesterday, *after* I had put in arrival date, flight number, airline, purchased a seat reservation for that flight, entered the seat number, so the form was about 50% filled in, I got a "call us" email from the travel agency and Air Canada had bollixed up everything. Hours on hold with different, very polite, hard-working agents and at the end the schedule changes were not repairable. So, a cancellation.

Then I hit Google Flights and got another reservation, arrives 2 days later than the first one did. New airline, too.

My question is, do I need to just abandon the partially filled out SpTH form and start a new one altogether? The arrival date is grayed out and I can't get at it to change it. And should I wait until a little closer to redo all the stuff?

(Yes I also need to change the hostel reservation dates for the first night and change or replace the Alsa ticket to Leon. Sooo many things that need to be adjusted now!)

Yes! Just forget the old submission and start afresh. They want you to fill out the form within 48 hours of departure, so you have time if you just want to wait, too.

If I remember correctly, there's a unique number (or mix of letters and numbers) registered to each SpTH form, so when you start a new one, a new number will be given....and they won't care that your first one hasn't been finalized.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes! Just forget the old submission and start afresh. They want you to fill out the form within 48 hours of departure, so you have time if you just want to wait, too.

If I remember correctly, there's a unique number (or mix of letters and numbers) registered to each SpTH form, so when you start a new one, a new number will be given....and they won't care that your first one hasn't been finalized.
Thanks!

Wait till 48 hours before the flight.It really doesn’t take long. As soon as I submitted all the information, the QR codes popped up for us. All will be well .

Wait till 48 hours before the flight.It really doesn’t take long. As soon as I submitted all the information, the QR codes popped up for us. All will be well .
Thank you! I'm really in a flutter, as we need to accomodate the things already arranged to the new schedule.

Can some fly from the United State to Spain being unvaccinated but having a negative PCR test?

vaccination is currently required for visitors from USA
https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

You must also obtain a QR code before traveling. This is explained on the website. You won’t be allowed on flights to EU without it.
I did not see anything on that link that specifically stated anyone from the USA must be vaccinated. It appeared to say you could be tested within so many hours instead. What am I missing. Am I not seeing the entire page because I am on my phone? I really need a firm answer to this question because some of my walking clients may not be vaccinated and I need to be sure. Help?

ATTENTION !!!, if you travel to Spain under point k) of the section "Entry requirements for entry in Spain from third countries, you can only do so if you have a certificate of being fully vaccinated with an EMA/OMS authorized vaccine, and the last dose was administered more than 14 days ago.

To obtain the QR Code. You are required to enter your two dates of vaccinations. United, which I flew in September, won’t let you on the plane without QR code and also asked us for Vaccination proof. To fly overseas they require vaccinations as well. We also had to show QR code in MAD.

Just a thought. Would you want an unvaccinated person in your group? Are there any legal risks of leading a small group with someone who is unvaccinated?

I did not see anything on that link that specifically stated anyone from the USA must be vaccinated. It appeared to say you could be tested within so many hours instead. What am I missing. Am I not seeing the entire page because I am on my phone? I really need a firm answer to this question because some of my walking clients may not be vaccinated and I need to be sure. Help?
@Marbe2 is right. Travellers from the USA must currently be vaccinated if they want to enter Spain for a non-essential trip such as doing a Camino. There are a few exceptions to this general rule, such as travellers from the USA who have Spanish nationality or the nationality of an EU country or a Spanish residency card. The information is in the links provided on the website mentioned earlier which is the official Spanish government website.

Here is a link to another Spanish website where you can find the same information more easily: https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/. It is the website of the national tourism board of Spain; see screenshot below. Scroll down on the actual website, it has more info than can be seen in this screenshot. Currently, in a number of EU countries, there is a clear tendency for legal-administrative measures that exclude non-vaccinated persons from certain places and activities. Showing a negative test is no longer sufficient. What the situation will be like next year is anyone's guess.

USA to Spain.jpg

€83,-
Spain was previously letting in the unvaccinated with a negative test, but that changed earlier this Fall. I met a few pilgrims who had entered to walk the Camino without vaccination, but were now stuck in a bit of limbo as they were restricted from certain albergues (Xuntas in Galicia), private cafes enforcing their own rules, and travel to other countries.

In short, you MUST be vaccinated now and even if the rule changes back to a less-restrictive regulation, it’s not wise travel without vaccination since you may get caught up in future restrictions

I flew to Paris on October 17. I was asked to show my French QR code before I boarded my connecting flight to Biarritz. If I remember correctly, I was asked to show it again at the auberge in St Jean Pied de Port, where I started my camino on October 20. Up to now in Spain, no one has asked to see my SpTH QR code. However, one albergue asked everyone to show proof of vaccination. I made a copy of my CDC card prior to my trip. This copy sufficed at the albergue. I'm sorry I don't remember which albergue. Everyone in my Camino family is fully vaccinated. Also, nearly all establishments are very strict regarding face masks. Make sure you pack several.
I hope this helps.
Bob91

I love to travel by train, but I haven't found a route yet from North America to Europe. 😅
Does anyone like to travel by train?

I love to travel by train, but I haven't found a route yet from North America to Europe. 😅

As long as this is touched.... I have a friend who will go to Barcelona from Paris via train (Gare de Lyon ---> Barcelona Sants) in couple of weeks. he is a US citizen, fully vaccinated inc the booster. Granted with full understanding that things change faster than we blink, but none-the-less: will he still need a SpTH QR code and do they check it upon the arrival at Sants?
thanks

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back