• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New roof and beds for Negreira albergue

peregrina2000

Staff member
Looks like a wise investment of Xunta funds. It will take two months and cost 23,000 €. The beds are being replaced because of the repeated complaints about bed bugs — hope they know that bed bugs can return no matter how new the mattress.

I have a soft spot in my heart for this albergue, because it’s where I met @wisepilgrim. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like perigrina2000 I too have many fond memories of Negreira.
The local Cafe Bar Imperial has a VERY good and copious menu del dia. The friendly barman/owner is English and his wife Spanish. Usually at lunch in winter I was the only other woman in the place, but they always graciously made me feel at home. From there the walk to the Xunta albergue takes a few minutes

Here is their web-

Last edited:
I met David, the owner of the Café Bar Imperial, in 2016. His West Country accent was so strong that I couldn't believe that he was English at first! He was, as you say, friendly and I'm sure he still is.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My only experience of Negreira albergue was when I arrived there on 24 Feb this year, after walking from Olveiroa (about 33kms) and it was CLOSED.

It WAS open the night before, which I know, because I asked several pilgrims who passed me that day, going in the opposite direction, if they had stayed there, and those that had said it was “clean”. (I knew it had had a bedbug problem.) On arrival, there was a notice on the door:

285.jpg

This was a bit of a problem as my foot was now quite sore (plantar fasciitis had set in) and I knew most other albergues were closed.

As I limped into town I saw a peregrino who was obviously heading for the albergue, so I told him it was closed.

287.jpg

He knew of one other place that was open, so we went there together – it was a fantastic place – Albergue Bergando – but I didn’t realise that was 3 kms away . . .

. . . so I do NOT have fond memories of Negreira albergue, but glad to hear they are upgrading :).

Jill

P.S. Although I had to get a bus next day, because my foot was so sore, I was glad the albergue was closed for fumigation . . .

Last edited:
I do have fond memories! I stayed there in May 2008, on my way to Finisterre, and again in May 2011, on my way to Muxia. The Xunta albergue both times. ] Sigh.....].

I have received back my airfare from Qatar. In the camino account for next year ..... maybe..... .

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Bar Imperial then let David ring a wonderful pension out of town once you have finished lunch and had a good conversation .The owner collects and when you alight you are given a beautiful room in a lovely setting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello peregrinos! My daughter and I are walking the CF from SJPP and hope to arrive in SDC around a week before we fly home (late June). We'd like to walk to either Finisterra or Muxia and then...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back