• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New route from Leiro to Hospital de Bruma/Meson do Vento

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Ingles_New_Routing (1)-page-001.jpg Camino Ingles - new route from Leiro to Bruma.

For those soon walking the Camino Ingles I'd like to reassure you about this new route - I think it is excellent and of great benefit to pilgrims. Although there is still the elevation it is over a much longer distance and therefore is much more progressive than the steep climb from the Bar Julia on the previous route.
I say "previous route" because I found old camino markings on a number of trees on the new way and some elderly locals confirmed that between 20 and 30 years ago the new way was the old way! It is also shorter making the total distance from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma and Meson do Vento 25.5 kms. The distances in the CSJ guide I've measured with a GPS + Wikiloc + measuring on maps and physically measuring certain sections. They are all in line with the principal camino resources and with Xacabeo.

So to the change - a quick version of the map is attached (thanks to the excellent Bill Lee) with the route marked in RED- In the final version the line of the old route will disappear as the granite markers have been removed and any arrows will fade.

Walking directions are very straightforward - here is a summary:

From the rest area and church in Leiro turn Right and at the top of the hill facing the local ayuntamiento turn Left onto the main road. (If you carry on this road for a few hundred metres there is a bar on the Right hand side) To follow the route shortly cross to the Right hand side and veer Right at the prominent granite marker. KSO rising steadily, at times gently, for 6 kms then KSO the path as it undulates, finally coming out at As Travesas in 8kms. Turn Left along the main road to the Bar Avelina and KSO for further 2 kms to turn Left at the sign for Bruma and in 1km reach the albergue. If going to Meson do Vento do not turn Left at the sign for Bruma and KSO for a further 1km.

Care should be taken on this last stretch as it is currently along the side of the main road. However there are plans to create more pavement and off road paths - some of this work has been started.

There are other changes - some on the route from Coruna and others on the route from Ferrol. There is also evidence of some arrows being painted around Cos to divert the route past a bar - stick with the granite markers and walking notes!

I have now prepared a new edition of the CSJ guide - available very soon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great work Johnnie :)

Bruma albergue gets full very early. If you don't want to sleep on the sports hall floor, consider an extra stage, and staying at Presedo.
Yes - lots of chat locally about this and the pilgrims' complaint being if they decide to walk from Betanzos to Bruma everyone who slept in Presedo the night before gets there before them. This precipitated a discussion that the longer distance pilgrims from Betanzos should get precedence at Bruma Albergue. This is nonsense of course - the problem is the serious lack if Albergue beds on the Camino Inglés not the pilgrims who sleep in Presedo!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the problem is the serious lack if Albergue beds on the Camino Inglés

How are they coming on the new albergue past Bruma? Is it still in the works? That would certainly alleviate a lot of that pressure in Bruma.

The one proposed for Poulo? That's quite a bit farther on and is still only a budget allocation - it may be closer to the Holy Year before it exists. Bruma is ripe for a private Albergue or two if anyone would care to make the investment?

We'll see how numbers settle down as the year develops but the major push to increase pilgrims departing from Coruña will only add to the problems at Bruma.

I thought the article about the albergue in Poulo mentioned a monetary amount and a period of 6 months. Which seemed kind of quick, so apparently that is a clue as to my Spanish reading comprehension (or lack thereof...) :rolleyes:

Yes, certainly many (many) more pilgrims from Coruña in the future ... I know it's on my list!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was talking to some local people about that article - they say the time scale refers to the tendering process and design, planning consent, construction etc comes after.
That makes sense. I thought 6 months seemed very fast for a rehab of that size and scope (from the looks of the building).

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the route from Coruña - enjoy the cardiovascular exercise!
I walked from the church in Coruña through town 2 years ago - have they made added some arrows or directional markers yet? I had your guide and Mig's file on the 'maps.me' app, so I was able to navegate through the city, but the first marker or indication I found after Maria Pita plaza was the granite marker at the Monelos roundabout (with the tall cylindrical metal statue). No idea how someone without either of those two resources would actually get out of town. At the top of the Monelos hill then there were then some markers on the sides of buildings.

If I'm able to walk this fall, I'll probably just catch the bus back to Coruña from Meson do Vento ... I'd better get to training! Will be easier once it cools down where I live ... it's still 107/41 degrees during the day here (Arizona, USA). In a week's time we'll be down to 103/39. Hmmm...moving to Galicia sounds better and better all the time! :p

Surprised how many people decided to walk really long stages on this route, which seemed like madness to me, given that there were about 1,00,000,000,000 Italian Scouts walking when I was there the week before last. Presedo is a bit boring, but I took the chance to do my laundry and detox a bit from my previous hedonism. It has a lovely bar with a suit of armour and crazy murals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for this... we are arriving in La Caruna on 28th Sept, and wonder if perhaps the number might be lower by then.
Or if there is a more detailed list of other possible stops along the way, we are good walkers and could manage 30k in a day... planning on the standard 5 days in from Ferrol, with a dash in and out on day 5 to then return walking back to Caruna ...

Thanks in advance..

AjD

View attachment 35856 Camino Ingles - new route from Leiro to Bruma.

For those soon walking the Camino Ingles I'd like to reassure you about this new route - I think it is excellent and of great benefit to pilgrims. Although there is still the elevation it is over a much longer distance and therefore is much more progressive than the steep climb from the Bar Julia on the previous route.
I say "previous route" because I found old camino markings on a number of trees on the new way and some elderly locals confirmed that between 20 and 30 years ago the new way was the old way! It is also shorter making the total distance from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma and Meson do Vento 25.5 kms. The distances in the CSJ guide I've measured with a GPS + Wikiloc + measuring on maps and physically measuring certain sections. They are all in line with the principal camino resources and with Xacabeo.

So to the change - a quick version of the map is attached (thanks to the excellent Bill Lee) with the route marked in RED- In the final version the line of the old route will disappear as the granite markers have been removed and any arrows will fade.

From the rest area and church in Leiro turn Right and at the top of the hill facing the local ayuntamiento turn Left onto the main road. (If you carry on this road for a few hundred metres there is a bar on the Right hand side) To follow the route shortly cross to the Right hand side and veer Right at the prominent granite marker. KSO rising steadily, at times gently, for 6 kms then KSO the path as it undulates, finally coming out at As Travesas in 8kms. Turn Left along the main road to the Bar Avelina and KSO for further 2 kms to turn Left at the sign for Bruma and in 1km reach the albergue. If going to Meson do Vento do not turn Left at the sign for Bruma and KSO for a further 1km.

Care should be taken on this last stretch as it is currently along the side of the main road. However there are plans to create more pavement and off road paths - some of this work has been started.

There are other changes - some on the route from Coruna and others on the route from Ferrol. There is also evidence of some arrows being painted around Cos to divert the route past a bar - stick with the granite markers and walking notes!

Andrew,

When I walked from Ferrol starting October 5th 2015 I only met 7 other pilgrims in 5 days. One father & daughter I talked to for about 5 minutes were the only English speakers I met in those 5 days. It was a wonderful Camino and I am going to walk it again this year probably leave Ferrol about September 25th after a couple of days in A Coruña.

Safe travels and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Andrew,

When I walked from Ferrol starting October 5th 2015 I only met 7 other pilgrims in 5 days. One father & daughter I talked to for about 5 minutes were the only English speakers I met in those 5 days. It was a wonderful Camino and I am going to walk it again this year probably leave Ferrol about September 25th after a couple of days in A Coruña.

Safe travels and Buen Camino!
Many thanks... and good to hear and say Buen Camino again...

View attachment 35856 Camino Ingles - new route from Leiro to Bruma.

How do we look and thus newmap?

Thanks AjD

. . . When I walked from Ferrol starting October 5th 2015 I only met 7 other pilgrims in 5 days . . .
Thank you Mister Mike. Good information. I need to walk this camino for sentimental reasons. I will not post the names here, but there are two towns carriying my maternal and paternal grandmothers' surnames [both in Galicia, same exact spelling], within walking distance on the Betanzos and Sigueiro stages. I need to visit both towns. Gracias, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Same for me Sailor but only one in Galicia and not along the Inglés route. I hope our paths cross one of these days. I'll buy the first round.

De nada. Será Estrella Galicia por mi.

Buen camino a todos!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for this... we are arriving in La Caruna on 28th Sept, and wonder if perhaps the number might be lower by then.
Or if there is a more detailed list of other possible stops along the way, we are good walkers and could manage 30k in a day... planning on the standard 5 days in from Ferrol, with a dash in and out on day 5 to then return walking back to Caruna ...

Thanks in advance..

AjD
Andrew,
We will be arriving La Caruna on the 26th and starting out of Ferrol on the 27th. Maybe you'll catch the 3 of us from Texas.

Buen Camino

I just walked this section today (2 Oct 2017) - Presedo to MesĂłn do Vento, and it was a nice walk - not so steep as walking up from the sea level towns! It was also a bit lonely. I knew there was a couple ahead of me and a trio behind, but only briefly saw those ahead once.

However, there was the attached photo of a large sign posted after the embalse, the tunnel under the motorway, and at the right turn amongst the houses - and facing the Camino granite waymarker pointing up the hill. Maybe this is a transient working condition, but there were sounds of chain saws nearby though I never saw them working. Nevertheless it was a bit disconcerting.

The planned off-main road paths will certainly be welcome as the walk along the main road from Bar Avilena to MesĂłn do Vento was uncomfortable!

Thanks so much, John and friends :) for all the work you've done documenting the recent changes on this beautiful Camino!!
Terry

Attachments

• IMG_9482.JPG
    IMG_9482.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back