• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New route out of Lisbon?

JimH

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Central September 2022
I cycled as far as Ansiao in 2022, but I fell before Tomar and ended up in hospital. I am trying again from Lisbon in September 2023. I know there is a shared use path close to the river between Alhandra and Vila Franca da Xira which I did not know about in 2022. This "diversion takes you away from the dangerous N10 road. I have heard there is a new route including boardwalks being completed in 2023 somewhere out of Lisbon. Does anyone know where this new "diversion" is? I will be delighted if it is just before Alhandra! Many thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Latest info here. Can’t wait to hear from the first Peregrino, who really walks it!
Or Perigrina! Many thanks, I could see from the map in the thread exactly where it is planned to be. It actually won't make the route safer (from a road perspective), as the current loop that takes you from Savacem to Alverca is road free too. I will definitely take the new boardwalk route in September as it will have nice views of the Tagus. I am still trying to figure out if there is a way of avoiding the N10 just before Alhandra, I don't mind massive detours as I am on a bike. Time for a play on Google Earth/ Street view.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I cycled as far as Ansiao in 2022, but I fell before Tomar and ended up in hospital. I am trying again from Lisbon in September 2023. I know there is a shared use path close to the river between Alhandra and Vila Franca da Xira which I did not know about in 2022. This "diversion takes you away from the dangerous N10 road. I have heard there is a new route including boardwalks being completed in 2023 somewhere out of Lisbon. Does anyone know where this new "diversion" is? I will be delighted if it is just before Alhandra! Many thanks :)
Did you use the Brierley book? I had a pleasant walk out of Lisbon and the tracks were easily cyclable. That was 7 years ago

Or Perigrina! Many thanks, I could see from the map in the thread exactly where it is planned to be. It actually won't make the route safer (from a road perspective), as the current loop that takes you from Savacem to Alverca is road free too. I will definitely take the new boardwalk route in September as it will have nice views of the Tagus. I am still trying to figure out if there is a way of avoiding the N10 just before Alhandra, I don't mind massive detours as I am on a bike. Time for a play on Google Earth/ Street view.
I don’t think there is a simple way to avoid the road stretch beside Sobralinho. You can take the Estrada de Arruda (N10-6 and N248-3) to make a giant loop but I find walking that road not any better than the N10. It doesn’t have shoulders to speak of and it’s a bus route so it still has lots of traffic.

I would consider walking your bike on the left hand side of the road heading north for the ~1 km of N10. It’s not pleasant but I find that drivers are accustomed to people walking there. Just like any time I have to walk next to traffic, I just keep my attention on the vehicles at all times.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back