A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

New Schengen rules in 2021

cecelia

Wandering for the love and growth of it
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from SJPP - 2003, 2005, 2009, 2013. 500 km on Le Puy 2013. Future - Vezelay-Santiago
For anyone planning to walk a camino in 2021 please note that we will need to complete an ETIAS application before entering the Schengen area. Here's the first paragraph from their website:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SCHENGEN ZONE
ETIAS stands for Europe Travel Information and Authorization system. Following terrorist attacks, the EU saw the need to increment safety. The ETIAS program has been created to improve security in the area, both for locals and visitors.

The European Council is certain that this new border and migration policy will increase security and help protect Europe from any possible future threats. ETIAS aims to increase mobility and migration of foreign visitors.

The ETIAS for EU proposal suggests that initially there will be 60 countries eligible to submit an online ETIAS visa waiver application. The ETIAS visa waiver is a travel authorization for business or touristic purposes, and will not be a substitute for a student or working visa. Any third country nationals who wish to live, study, work, or remain in Europe longer than 90 days, will have to apply for a different type of visa.

The following eligible ETIAS countries will be expected to apply for the European visa waiver as of 2021. Applicants need to meet the ETIAS requirements to get the visa waiver. Among the requirements, visitors need to have a passport from one of the ETIAS eligible countries.
For further information, you may go here: information re ETIAS requirements

My apologies if this has been posted previously. I couldn't find it in a search.

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
It is certainly planned that the ETIAS system will be introduced in 2021. In principle very similar to the US ESTA visa waiver programme. And like that system it has already spawned a huge number of commercial sites which may or may not be intended to misdirect people into paying large premiums on top of the official fees by submitting applications via a third party once ETIAS actually exists. As @SYates and @Tincatinker have pointed out the links above are NOT for an official website and information on it should be treated with caution.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And you can't even blame people who are forwarding and multiplying what they picked up somewhere on social media or elsewhere on the net when you read online in the New York Times, Travel section, dated Jan. 16, 2020, 1:29 p.m. ET (that was about an hour ago):

After January 2021, as part of a new security system intended to screen visa-free travelers, Americans will be required to register with the European Travel Information and Authorization System. (Britons and people from other countries will also need to apply to E.T.I.A.S.) Getting the authorization involves registering online and paying a small fee. The E.T.I.A.S. requirement happens to coincide with Brexit but the two are not related.​
B******S.
Can I say that? And will Americans understand it? Sorry, but I see that this ""news"" is doing the rounds again right now, so expect more threads with this ""announcement"" in the coming days and weeks.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Is it time to resurrect the Botafumeiro weed fake news again or is that due to reappear next month? ;)
I am sure we could time that with the claim that the tiboleiros are actually orthodox priests and that the swinging of the botafumeiro is a mayor ecumenical event ;-)
BC SY

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And you can't even blame people who are forwarding and multiplying what they picked up somewhere on social media or elsewhere on the net when you read online in the New York Times, Travel section, dated Jan. 16, 2020, 1:29 p.m. ET (that was about an hour ago):

After January 2021, as part of a new security system intended to screen visa-free travelers, Americans will be required to register with the European Travel Information and Authorization System. (Britons and people from other countries will also need to apply to E.T.I.A.S.) Getting the authorization involves registering online and paying a small fee. The E.T.I.A.S. requirement happens to coincide with Brexit but the two are not related.​
B******S.
Can I say that? And will Americans understand it? Sorry, but I see that this ""news"" is doing the rounds again right now, so expect more threads with this ""announcement"" in the coming days and weeks.
I'm expecting to see it in multiple Camino Facebook groups soon. 😅

Stefystar

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi all,
Thank you for cheer me up, love your comments.
With regard to regulations as someone well said, wait and see 😉

Thomas@Albany

Camino(s) past & future
First Part Oct. 5 2018 (StJ)-Oct. 19 (Boadillo); 2nd Part May 5 (Boadilla) to May 26, 2019.
Please note the link provided does not appear to be to an official EU/EC website. I would be extremely wary of providing the required, or any, data to this site.

If you want some facts try here: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...ation-system-etias-council-adopts-regulation/

You will note that the new regulations are "expected" to be in effect in 2021. We'll see, no doubt, in time.
Thankx for the official link--as with any regulation, it may take longer.

Galloglaigh

Camino(s) past & future
Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Old Way (2020), VFnS (2020), CP (rebooked) (2021), VdT (ToDo)

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
If you are a frequent traveller into the EU and want to avoid this hassle, then check your genes. Immigration was very popular until recently and you may find you have an entitlement to a EU passport based on jure sanguinis.
That's rather wishful thinking. 😊

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
That's rather wishful thinking. 😊
I have friends whose Irish immigrant (To England and Scotland) antecedents anglicised their surnames because of alleged discrimination.

Ironically there have been more British citizens checking their grandparents place of birth in the hope of finding one on the island of Ireland in the last three years than for many years before.

Galloglaigh

Camino(s) past & future
Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Old Way (2020), VFnS (2020), CP (rebooked) (2021), VdT (ToDo)
That's rather wishful thinking.
You'd be surprised, especially with the "new" old countries of Eastern Europe such as Czechia or the Baltic States

Br. Dick Tandy ofm

Camino(s) past & future
El Ingles - Finisterre . 2017
For anyone planning to walk a camino in 2021 please note that we will need to complete an ETIAS application before entering the Schengen area. Here's the first paragraph from their website:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SCHENGEN ZONE
ETIAS stands for Europe Travel Information and Authorization system. Following terrorist attacks, the EU saw the need to increment safety. The ETIAS program has been created to improve security in the area, both for locals and visitors.

The European Council is certain that this new border and migration policy will increase security and help protect Europe from any possible future threats. ETIAS aims to increase mobility and migration of foreign visitors.

The ETIAS for EU proposal suggests that initially there will be 60 countries eligible to submit an online ETIAS visa waiver application. The ETIAS visa waiver is a travel authorization for business or touristic purposes, and will not be a substitute for a student or working visa. Any third country nationals who wish to live, study, work, or remain in Europe longer than 90 days, will have to apply for a different type of visa.

The following eligible ETIAS countries will be expected to apply for the European visa waiver as of 2021. Applicants need to meet the ETIAS requirements to get the visa waiver. Among the requirements, visitors need to have a passport from one of the ETIAS eligible countries.
For further information, you may go here: information re ETIAS requirements

My apologies if this has been posted previously. I couldn't find it in a search.
Thank you for the heads up, good to know.

Tony Walsh

Tony in Perth
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria last 120km 2014, Full Camino Frances 2017, Via Francigena 2018, Coast Caomino Portugues 2020
Sounds like a revenue raising exercise.
Note Schengen Zone is not EU/EEC only. So it will note be an official EU website

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Note Schengen Zone is not EU/EEC only. So it will note be an official EU website
That is not correct. All the rules and laws about Schengen are made by the EU and it is they who provide the information on their official websites, and their web address, as has been said already, all end in .europa.eu . The non-EU Schengen countries just have to tag along and pay their yearly contribution for the privilege. They have international agreements (""deals"") with the EU.

While the information on commercial sites about the future ETIAS system may or may not be accurate, their aim is to ensnare you to buy their services or at least get your email address and profit from your visit.

Offical EU web address.jpg

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Despite all the fanfare, it is not at all certain that the ETIAS system is up and running in a year's time in January 2021.

Current issues are not only the usual problems (massively large complicated technical projects with so many diverse countries and their systems take time), but also legal aspects of the protection of personal data of the citizens as ETIAS will be integrated/linked to other IT databases run by the EU, some of them also still in development. Data protection is always a hot potato at EU level, in particular as the countries take diverging views on this, with some more on the citizen side and others more on the government side. Many of these issues have not yet been resolved and the required EU laws have not yet been hammered out.

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
I have friends whose Irish immigrant (To England and Scotland) antecedents anglicised their surnames because of alleged discrimination.

Ironically there have been more British citizens checking their grandparents place of birth in the hope of finding one on the island of Ireland in the last three years than for many years before.
1 MILLION extra Irish passports issued last year as well as, and this is really quite incredible, an upsurge in the British born descendants of ex-patriot German Jews requesting German passports.

It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
According to the current indicative timeline (as of July 2019), and not according to what was intended or ambitiously envisaged several years ago when the EU took the decision to create this system, the European Travel Authorisation and Information System ETIAS will go live in the second half of 2022 and no longer in January 2021 as so often erroneously reported.

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
an upsurge in the British born descendants of ex-patriot German Jews requesting German passports.
Umm, I think that you mean expatriate.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
So nothing is going to change for many months and yet it was a monumental day today. It's signed and sealed. And sobering to see that it just looks like any old international agreement that the EU does so often year in year out.

The Withdrawal (”Brexit”) Agreement was signed by both parties to the agreement on 24 January 2020:

Signature WA.jpg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Umm, I think that you mean expatriate.
I love the english as she is spoke, don't you.
Expatriate: as previously defined
Ex-patriot: a former patriot who no longer holds those sentiments
Expert: a has-been and a drip under pressure ;)

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Very much so <blushes>
I wondered whether you had made a mistake or had worded it like this on purpose as many may well have been patriots who had loved their country of birth or homeland and had been very much attached to it ... :(

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
According to the current indicative timeline (as of July 2019), and not according to what was intended or ambitiously envisaged several years ago when the EU took the decision to create this system, the European Travel Authorisation and Information System ETIAS will go live in the second half of 2022 and no longer in January 2021 as so often erroneously reported.
I am seeing these third party sites popping up on other Camino groups and being defended as more up to date than the EU document referenced above. Do you have a source I can refer to for the information in red?

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
I am seeing these party sites popping up on other Camino groups and being defended as more up to date than the EU document referenced above. Do you have a source I can refer to for the information in red?
I found this up to date timeline for the implementation of the ETIAS system in a GSC working paper of July 2019 that had found its way to statewatch.org, and the timeline was provided by euLisa themselves.

Now without expanding on who the GSC and euLisa are and what a Working Party is, I’m tempted to ask this question: Does it actually matter much for their readers that numerous newspapers and blogs claim that ETIAS will start in January 2021 instead of it going live towards the end of 2022? Travellers who will need to enrol when they want to travel to Spain or France etc from outside of the EU will learn about ETIAS soon enough when the time has come, and as we know the whole thing will be easy, cheap and there’s no need for any preparation. You enter your personal details, you pay, done.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
While I was looking around I noticed that, as of 2 February 2020, ie now, there are some minor changes for citizens of the 105 countries who must have a full EU visa for short stays in the Schengen area, such as citizens of South Africa. The fee will go up from 60 € to 80 € but you can now submit your visa application up to 6 months before the intended travel, instead of 3 months previously. This may be of some real interest to one or the other forum member.

See: New EU visa rules – Questions and Answers

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock