• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New section for "The American Discovery Trail"

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

Under the "Other long distance routes - Other long distance routes in Europe and around he world" section on the front page, I have added a sub forum for the American Discovery Trail. Might not be of interest to all, but for those in the US it might be an alternative if you would like to do some long distance walking locally.

@Dave will soon be walking it :)

More here:

Also, have a look here for more info on this walk:

Buen camino!
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Ivar... I suspect that it will not have the same feel as the Camino. But walking through a place is a great way to learn about it, and its people. Perhaps we should give this a go.

Dear all,

Under the "Other long distance routes - Other long distance routes in Europe and around he world" section on the front page, I have added a sub forum for the American Discovery Trail. Might not be of interest to all, but for those in the US it might be an alternative if you would like to do some long distance walking locally.

More here:

Buen camino!
Ivar

Thank you, Ivar! Perfection!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here's a link to a guy I met years ago after he completed the Appalachian Trail. He came to our school to tell the kids about his next adventure. The American Discovery Trail. Mike Daniels: The Lion King

Love this option! Thanks for posting Ivar, and we all shall look forward to Davebugs posts along His Way Across the U. S.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Being from the U.S., the ADT seems appealing to me and I’ll explore more about it. The southern route goes through Kansas City where I live! There are several hundred miles of the Katy trail in Missouri that are part of this and I’ve thought about walking it to St Louis where my son lives. But the legal camping opportunities and lack of “albergues” are not well developed. Some sections are long for one day of hiking. That said, if anyone is walking through Kansas City, they are welcome to contact me if you need help or to stay a night. If the ADT goes on the hiking path not far from my house (south KC) , that’s easy. Or if not, I can pick you up at a trail head. PM me for info/email/phone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That said, if anyone is walking through Kansas City, they are welcome to contact me if you need help or to stay a night. If the ADT goes on the hiking path not far from my house (south KC) , that’s easy. Or if not, I can pick you up at a trail head. PM me for info/email/phone.
Sorry to have missed you, Steve! For what it's worth, I slept outside all over the place and wasn't troubled. In towns, if one calls the local police, they'll often advise on a viable spot. People often are fine with you pitching a tent in the corner of the lot (though I had one rough night in Indiana on that front).

On the Katy, in particular, nobody seemed to care at all if one pitched a tent alongside the trail. I knew a couple of others who routinely just slept on the benches at the info stations (the old rail terminals) in each town. One town lets you camp in the baseball fields and use the showers inside.

Dear all,

More here:

Buen camino!
Ivar
Just what I was looking for! Many thanks Ivar!

Most read last week in this forum

I started walking the American Discovery Trail back in 2019. My plan was to walk the southern option between Cincinnati, Ohio and Denver, Colorado that fall, and then to fly to Delaware in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back