• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New shoes at the last minute

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I just came back from a 4 hour walk and need to face the fact that my Merrell Kapra hiking shoes are too narrow for my right foot. My foot hurts on the outside and the inner side. My left foot is perfect, my right foot hurts. I have a pair a New Balance Leadville 1210 coming wednesday, because I just had a feeling this was happening. I'm hoping 3 weeks is enough time to break in a Trail Runner.. Thoughts?? I can take my Keen boots if I need to, they fit well, but I just didn't want the weight. Dang!! I thought I had it all worked out. Any NB Leadville 1210 lovers out there?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Agreed 100% with @dougfitz.

One additional thought would be to replace the basic insole with a generic insert like Superfeet or a heat molded insert to your specific foot to increase the degree of support you'll get as the shoe inevitably breaks down. The later type of insert will dial in your sole-to-shoe fit about as precisely as you can get. After that, you can adjust tightness with lacing techniques, assuming you don't get any specific pressure points from the uppers (many shoes have decorative nonsense that artificially constrict and create pressure points; NB tends to be one of the better brands in avoiding this problem).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just came back from a 4 hour walk and need to face the fact that my Merrell Kapra hiking shoes are too narrow for my right foot. My foot hurts on the outside and the inner side. My left foot is perfect, my right foot hurts. I have a pair a New Balance Leadville 1210 coming wednesday, because I just had a feeling this was happening. I'm hoping 3 weeks is enough time to break in a Trail Runner.. Thoughts?? I can take my Keen boots if I need to, they fit well, but I just didn't want the weight. Dang!! I thought I had it all worked out. Any NB Leadville 1210 lovers out there?

Joodle
You won't have any problems with breaking you shoes in in your time frame. I would highly recommend you make sure you shoes are at least a full size larger as I will guarantee your feet will swell when your doing multiple long days of hiking. The number one issue for new long distance hikers on the Camino are shoes are to small.

You might also think about putting an ENGO patch on the inside of your shoes as well
And trail runners take no time at all to break-in; just put them on and start walking

I had no trouble putting 15+ mile days on new Salomon trail runners. I think you will be fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
my Merrell Kapra hiking shoes are too narrow for my right foot.
Give serious thought to getting two pairs; a different (but correct) size for each foot. I tried to compensate in various ways for different sized feet, but, in the end, getting shoes or boots that fit is about the most important gear choice for long distance walking. I hate to pay the price for two pairs of boots when I buy, but I've learned that, for me, it is well worth it. (I did approach the manufacturers to see if they could provide a pair of different sized boots, but they declined to do so.)

Give serious thought to getting two pairs; a different (but correct) size for each foot. I tried to compensate in various ways for different sized feet, but, in the end, getting shoes or boots that fit is about the most important gear choice for long distance walking. I hate to pay the price for two pairs of boots when I buy, but I've learned that, for me, it is well worth it. (I did approach the manufacturers to see if they could provide a pair of different sized boots, but they declined to do so.)
I think I will just get a bigger pair and wear an extra sock on the smaller foot. It wasn't until after walking 10 miles that I started to feel the pain on both sides of the wider foot. Good save!!

Keep in mind that your foot size may go up on an extended walk, as your arch may flatten out. I tended to get bigger shoes, as they reduce toe damage on downhills, and when you hit roots/rocks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think I will just get a bigger pair and wear an extra sock on the smaller foot. It wasn't until after walking 10 miles that I started to feel the pain on both sides of the wider foot. Good save!!
Might work; I tried it and it didn't work too well for me. The smaller foot blistered. Plus, there were comments about the weird guy who always wore mismatched sox!

Might work; I tried it and it didn't work too well for me. The smaller foot blistered. Plus, there were comments about the weird guy who always wore mismatched sox!
:D

Joodle
You won't have any problems with breaking you shoes in in your time frame. I would highly recommend you make sure you shoes are at least a full size larger as I will guarantee your feet will swell when your doing multiple long days of hiking. The number one issue for new long distance hikers on the Camino are shoes are to small.

WHAT exactly is "a full size larger"? In UK size, would that be from size 7 to 7.5 or from 7 to 8?

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
See the other thread. Feet are not exact, nor are the changes people experience.
If you normally wear regular shoes at 7, I would wear an try an 8.

I wear 11 dress shoes (thin socks), size 12 tennis and running shoes (double socks) and and 13 hiking low cut trail shoes (silk liner and heavy hiking socks). Keep in mind the most swelling comes after repeated long days of hiking.

My wife just returned from her 4th Camino and normally wears a 1/2 size bigger 8 to 8 1/2 and I talked her into wearing a 9. She bought a heavier marino wool sock which they call a medium weight and used a silk liner, she didn't have any issues at all, no blisters and didn't even use one band aid.

Last edited:
Joodle
It is important not to confuse the process with the outcome here. You might expect that by getting shoes fitted correctly, they will end up being a size or more larger than one normally wears. If it is impossible to get a proper fitting done, resorting to buying a size larger might be enough, but that cannot be guaranteed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is important not to confuse the process with the outcome here. You might expect that by getting shoes fitted correctly, they will end up being a size or more larger than one normally wears. If it is impossible to get a proper fitting done, resorting to buying a size larger might be enough, but that cannot be guaranteed.
Doug,
Totally agree the only true test is on the trail !

Last week, I purchased the Leadville V3 locally on Thursday and walked a 5k on Saturday (that actually ended up being over 5 miles because I also walked to the race). I have been wearing New Balance trainers (different models) for awhile and have been fitted to size 7 at various running shops (street shoe 6.5). So I bought the Leadville size 7 online to save a trip to the store. However, when that pair arrived, it was way too large. Sent it back and went to the store to be fitted again. Shoe professional said the Leadville may run large, so I left the store with a 6.5 as it fit much better. I did not have any problems with putting the shoe through the distance, given I had maybe put 1000 steps on it before the 5k. Of course, YMMV. My feet liked my last model New Balance trail runners much better after I utilized an insert (also New Balance fitted by a machine at the store, but I have used Superfeet in other shoes). To start, no insert in the Leadville, but it may be needed later. The point is, be flexible. So far, I am happy with the Leadville.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.