• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Shoes - too big :(

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello - I wonder if you good people can help me please. Yesterday I bought myself some new shoes. These are not the shoes I intend to wear on the Camino but I wanted some for my daily practice/get fitter walks. I walk a circuit around my home... some of it is on road, some on lanes and some on steep rough ground. It's about 4.5km.

Until now I've used bog standard Decathalon own brand trainers but I notice they're are not so soft when walking on the tarmac. So... I umed and ahed and decided I'm not ready to buy my Camino kit yet but I wanted an upgrade shoe for my daily circuit. So... I bought these - http://www.decathlon.fr/forclaz-700-low-jaune-id_8288293.html

I measured my feet in the shop and it said I was an EU 43 (news to me as all my shoes are 42) but as I was on the top end of the 43 I went for the EU 44 - thinking that my feet will swell and I'll be wearing socks. I tried on both sizes and thought that my feet were right at the end of the 43 and assumed it was better for my toes not to touch the end?I tried on a few pairs but thought the chosen ones were most comfortable.

I kept them on for the rest of the day at home and they were super comfortable but I walked today for perhaps 7km... on the tarmac I could notice a better spring in my step but also started to feel a hotspot on the base of my foot... as I moved onto the steeper sections of the walk my feet were sliding inside the shoe. I tried to tighten the laces and cut my fingers trying to get them to go tighter and they wouldn't budge... I ended up almost going over on the side of my foot and limping home with a sore ankle and a couple of blisters. :(

Decathalon won’t take these back so I'll have write off the 70€ unless anyone can offer me some guidance.

p.s. the reason I didn’t want to by my Camino kit is that I’ve got 6 months to go – I’ve decided to buy my walking shoes in June along with rucksack and other gear and I’ll spend more on them… but I really thought these were a decent shoe for a short daily walk.... I'm really begining to think I made the wrong decision! :oops::oops:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

The blisters or the start of blisters are on the ball/hard part of the foot beneath the big toes? (does that make sense?)

I've got perhaps a cm of space on the insole - feeling pretty fed up now as I really think they're too big :( I do have wide feet and one of the reasons I liked these was they felt comfortable on the width. Looking at the insole I would say that my feet spill over the edge a tiny bit but I didn't feel like I had a problem here?

I have been worried about my toenails which I why I erred on the side of caution - I had cancer treatment a few years ago and lost my big toenails (oddly enough this was one of the worse things for me?) Anyway - they're just about grown back and normal now so I want to take care of them... not a good start to the day :(

It's frustrating as I tried on a pair of Merrells and I said at the time the toe box felt wider but they seemed heavier or clunkier so in the end choose these. The good news is that my husband takes a 44 but he's not too impressed that I've wasted the 70€... I wont tell him that I may waste a bit more before I find the perfect pair. (I've also bought a poncho that is HUGE and I think I'll need to buy another one... but I've not told him that yet!) :D

Sadly they dont come in a wider fit... I looked at New Balance and Keen and was so tempted but I would have to buy them on-line (my local sport shops are great for basics but dont seem to carry a big range) and I really wanted to try them on before hand. There is a pretty good shop in Bordeaux that also stocks the backpack i want and I thought I'd make the trip in June and get all my gear... they stock Keens and Merrells and lots of other brands so i'm confident I could get it all there... maybe I'll bring that trip forward.

I do have long second toes (doesn't that mean that we have greek ancestory and we make good atheletes?) I do also have a wide foot and I thought this may be a problem - and high arches... it was never going to be easy was it!

My friend lost 3 toenails when she walked a few years ago... I guess I'll just have to accept that this is a poosibility... shame about the bottle though!

I was worried that with all the daily walking I would need to buy two pairs of new boots but reading here so many folks say they walked in old shoes that perhaps that was a silly idea. I am thinking of taking a pair of Keen sandalls as a spare/backup and a pair of decent shoes for the walk. I like the idea of the boot support but they do feel heavy in comparison to shoes... I guess I'll just make the trip to Bordeaux sooner that I thought.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's horrible spending a lot of money and being disappointed. If the worse comes to the worse maybe you can keep them as "best" dress-up athletic shoes - for when you are visiting the polo/gym/yacht squadron....
Otherwise I'd try a pair of orthotics - the blue ones sold in running shoe shops - Orthaheel? They are designed to hold the foot in place so might work. I'd get them to fit my foot (i.e. my normal size), not the shoes. But obviously leave the length to fill the shoe. Maybe also extra thick socks? Have you tried a loop lacing technique? If unfamiliar look it up on YouTube.

Thanks Kanga - I'll look out for them. My son had something like that made for him after a rugby injury... I think they were called Tallonettes - although these were shorter for heel support? I see a chiropodist/podiatrist every 2 months so I'll ask her on my next visit too?

I was thinking that maybe I'll keep my comfy new not-for-walking shoes for band practice... I sing in a band and spend several hours on my feet on rehearsal days... so I was just thinking these would be like an expensive pair of slippers :rolleyes:

I've not looked at Timberland or Brooks... so two new ones to consider!

I can order things and have them sent to family in the UK, lots of the big companies all send to France - and Amazon will also send most things to France. I think even REI will send to France? The biggest problem is the cost of returns as post out of france can be expensive... a few times I've simply kept things as it wasn't worth sending them back. I can try and time things for when family or friends are coming out to visit... they can take things back for me. I was maybe a bit quick to go out and walk in the new shoes too... perhaps I should just wear them in the house for a few days and then I can keep them in show-room condition. I am confident that the shop in Bordeaux will stock all that I need - it's a big shop, all the big brands - it's an hour and a bit drive so not too bad... and they have IKEA too;)

this is my poncho http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Clothing/Jackets/Hiking-Backpack-Poncho-red.html

I am 5'10" and curvy... there was no way I would order a S/M so I got the L/XL but I can honestly say I look like a child wearing my dad's coat... it's huge! I'm sure it's not meant to be so big - without the backpack it drags on the floor... my son is pleading with me to get something else... he's worried people will laugh at me :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you get a hot spot, stop walking and treat it.

Put Compeed or comparable on the hot spot. Put petrolatum/silicone over the Compeed and the rest of your foot.

Wear silk or polypro liner socks and a wool or wool-blend sock over the liner. Choose thin, medium, or heavy outer socks to adjust for shoe fit. DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BUY FOOTWEAR THAT IS LARGER THAN NORMAL. (Pardon the shouting.) Buy footwear that fits properly; it may be your regular size or larger. Try it on with the sock combination that you will use.

Blisters on the soles of your feet can be from hard outer skin like a callus. The blister forms under that callus and is very painful. If you have hard skin, it will move as a unit and cause friction. Remove it.

Good luck. You are fortunate to have the time to find a solution to your problem.

Hi Falcom and thanks for the reply. I was only wearing one pair of socks (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-forclaz-100-socks-id_8205589.html)... so could try with two. I guess I should have stopped as I knew something was happening but I just felt I wanted to get home. I dont have any hard skin or callus so I dont think this was a factor but I did intentially buy the bigger size shoe... which was probably my mistake.

The daft thing is that up to today I've worn cheap cotton trainer socks and cheap trainers and only decided to upgrade because I plan to walk for longer. I've been wearing this combination for 5 months and not had any problems apart from that I felt the asphalt walking was hard. I also have a really old pair of walking boots but they are full boots and quite heavy... had them for years and years and never had a blister either... but equally I've never walked for 5-7 km every day before either.

As you say... it's been a good lesson and I am lucky that I can find a solution before setting off in september... hopefully what I've learned will save me some problems on the CF.

The other thing I learned was I should always take my phone with me! When I twisted my foot I really thought for a moment that I wasn't going to be able to walk home... I was on a track that is rarely used and still more than 2 km from home... I wont make that mistake again!

I do have long second toes (doesn't that mean that we have greek ancestory and we make good atheletes?) I do also have a wide foot and I thought this may be a problem - and high arches... it was never going to be easy was it!............
Now that is better than having Neanderthal ancestors, which is what we were told. :)
Sorry you are having boot problems and hope you resolve them. My feet are wide, high arches etc and I find Hi-Tec good, but it is the tying that makes a difference. Stopping to tighten the laces before going downhill was a tip we were given.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have wide feet with multiple problems. I have always worn Keen Targhees but this year have gone with a little-known brand Apex. It has a deep toe box, wider width availability and an awesome grippy sole. I've been wearing a liner sock and a heavier Smartwool hiker with them, and have been pleased with their performance. They're worth a look. (My husband also got this shoe as he is a size 15 extra wide which is not typically available in stores.)
One more option. Just throwin' it out there.

http://www.apexfoot.com/womens-sierra-trail-runner-brown/

I guess I should have stopped as I knew something was happening but I just felt I wanted to get home.
Examine your objective. You want to take care of your feet, not get somewhere. The same will apply on the Camino. You do not want to get somewhere. That will be a byproduct. You want to take the next step, so it is more important to guard your body than to stay with a group, walk at someone else's pace, or reach a destination. If you stay focused on what it takes to go one more step, you will find yourself in Santiago eventually. If you focus on staying with friends (say), you may find yourself in a health clinic or taking several days of rest.

Know your proper objective.

Tia - Neanderthal? Really? But You're an Exeter girl aren't you... are you sure you've not from Greek stock? :)

Lise T - thanks for your help... if we didn't smile then I guess we'd not be doing this walk (can we have photos of the smurf) :)

LynneJ - fortunately they dont ship to France so I dont have to worry about another option... they look great and I love the width choices... we just don't seem to get that over here! o_O

Flacon... good point well made... thanks! I am learning and maybe that means today wasn't such a disaster after all ;)

Christer - thanks... I'll try two socks next time :)

It's frustrating as I tried on a pair of Merrells and I said at the time the toe box felt wider but they seemed heavier or clunkier so in the end choose these.
Merrells will give you the impression of heavier and clunkier, but they really offer a great fit, which at the end is the key. I also have to have wider fit and bought Merrell's half-size bigger. This worked great. When walking the Meseta, I made the huge mistake of getting new insoles that completely changed the fit around the toes (closer). These costs me 2 days off the Camino with badly mascerated small toes. I took the inserts off and threw them in anger on a field after Boadilla del Camino but the damage was already done. Barely made it to Sahagun where a kind (but firm...) Doctor precribed a "mandatory" stop for a couple of days. Try the right insoles...

My husband just walked in wearing said new shoes... says they fit him like a glove... I think this may mean he's keeping them and I'm getting some more new ones! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LesBrass:
I have known several folks that have hiked the Appalachian Trail and started in shoes that were large. They did a couple of things to manage the situation as their feet expanded:
1: Try another pair of insoles. Most shoes come with a fairly thin and soft insole. If you have SuperFeet insoles available to you, go with your shoes and try them to see if they help fill some of the void and minimize your friction. I used the Superfeet blue insoles in my boots on my last Camino and would highly recommend them to anyone. They also forced me to buy a boot a half size bigger, so it may help you out.
2: Wear two full socks. Conventional wisdom is to wear a thin liner and a regular sock to reduce friction. Several AT hikers will wear two identical light hiking socks to do the same thing, but it will take up more of the space in the boot. One hiker told me he prefers this because he can easily interchange his socks and not worry about matching liners or having one pair wearing out.
3: Lastly there are some threads on this forum that teach various ways to change the lacing on your shoes to help with sliding. Looking at the shoes, I am not sure any of them will help, but do a search on "lacing" and you should find more information.

But then again, if your husband likes them...

Who's to complain!

Hope this helps.
Rambler

Hello - I wonder if you good people can help me please. Yesterday I bought myself some new shoes.

If it were me, I'd buy a pair of Motion Control inserts from New Balance, and cut them to carefully fit inside your shoes. Take out the inserts that came with the shoes.

If you are not in the US, or can't find Motion Control, you can find other inserts. This will help the shoes fit better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've only recently tried inserts (cheapish gel ones) and have been impressed with the difference in comfort, particularly after 15k on pavements.
Good luck with your shoe/boot quest.
Annie

Hello - I wonder if you good people can help me please. Yesterday I bought myself some new shoes. These are not the shoes I intend to wear on the Camino but I wanted some for my daily practice/get fitter walks. I walk a circuit around my home... some of it is on road, some on lanes and some on steep rough ground. It's about 4.5km.

Until now I've used bog standard Decathalon own brand trainers but I notice they're are not so soft when walking on the tarmac. So... I umed and ahed and decided I'm not ready to buy my Camino kit yet but I wanted an upgrade shoe for my daily circuit. So... I bought these - http://www.decathlon.fr/forclaz-700-low-jaune-id_8288293.html

I measured my feet in the shop and it said I was an EU 43 (news to me as all my shoes are 42) but as I was on the top end of the 43 I went for the EU 44 - thinking that my feet will swell and I'll be wearing socks. I tried on both sizes and thought that my feet were right at the end of the 43 and assumed it was better for my toes not to touch the end?I tried on a few pairs but thought the chosen ones were most comfortable.

I kept them on for the rest of the day at home and they were super comfortable but I walked today for perhaps 7km... on the tarmac I could notice a better spring in my step but also started to feel a hotspot on the base of my foot... as I moved onto the steeper sections of the walk my feet were sliding inside the shoe. I tried to tighten the laces and cut my fingers trying to get them to go tighter and they wouldn't budge... I ended up almost going over on the side of my foot and limping home with a sore ankle and a couple of blisters. :(

Decathalon won’t take these back so I'll have write off the 70€ unless anyone can offer me some guidance.

p.s. the reason I didn’t want to by my Camino kit is that I’ve got 6 months to go – I’ve decided to buy my walking shoes in June along with rucksack and other gear and I’ll spend more on them… but I really thought these were a decent shoe for a short daily walk.... I'm really begining to think I made the wrong decision! :oops::oops:

I recommend you put the following in search box. Greg Dedman gave really good basic advice; I read it AFTER I returned from Camino and vouch for the value of his opinions. Please read!
"Anyone need footwear/foot advice?"

After reading much about footwear I recently purchased New Balance 790's about one size larger than normal. I plan to wear liners and some nice high quality socks for my Caminho in the Fall. I understand that my feet may swell so that extra little bit of space may come in handy. The larger size does make it harder to tighten up the boots.
My daughter taught me a little trick about lacing, just an extra loop that allows you to really tighten up to avoid slippage. I am wearing the boots for the first time today and they are feather light. best shoes ever!
NB790.JPG

Les Brass,
Just in case your husband decides against your boots for some reason you might also try adding a foam (Dr. Scholls) insole either on top of or below the one already there. I often try to do this anyway. It can be really helpful when walking on hard pavement - it gives just a little extra bounce. I use the thicker ones.
Buen camino.

this is my poncho http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Clothing/Jackets/Hiking-Backpack-Poncho-red.html

I am 5'10" and curvy... there was no way I would order a S/M so I got the L/XL but I can honestly say I look like a child wearing my dad's coat... it's huge! I'm sure it's not meant to be so big - without the backpack it drags on the floor... my son is pleading with me to get something else... he's worried people will laugh at me :D

I think this poncho looks great! Seems very similar to the good Altus ones.

The sizing chart claims a man's XL is a size 54. That's almost a 43inch chest in imperial. If that poncho is unisex with male sizing not too many women are going to fit into a XL

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all the replies and information. I walked today in my old shoes and no sliding and no hot spots. I've learned a good lesson and next time I go shoe shopping I'll make a note of all your comments and advice... and find out about insoles too. I guess this is what the training and preparation is all about!

As for the Poncho - It seems to be good quality and had good reviews when I was searching... breathable and waterproof? I guess I'll find out soon enough.:) I thought their size chart was a bit odd... I bought XL and it is huge. I've yet to try it with my pack... not bought that yet... I'm not quite a 43" chest... but I reckon could fit a child in there with me too! I'll measure it and get you some dimensions later. I'm happy that it's long as I'm tall and if it is waterproof then I'll certainly be covered.

Are you sure that Decathlon won't trade them? Here in Portugal they usually trade, I even know a guy, who changed a pair of boots that the waterproof membrane didn't worked, not even with waterproof spray!

Best Regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.