• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New side hike from the CP at Barquinha

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
There is a new walking path at Vila Nova de Barquinha, a town which is essentially on the CP a stage before Tomar, and which is a famous little corner of Portugal on our forum because @Friend from Barquinha has plans for an albergue there.

The path is called the Trilho Panorámico do Tejo (Tagus Panoramic Trail) and it's a 10km trail along the Tagus river and past the Templar castle Castelo de Almourol, situated on a little island in the river. Here's an article (in Portuguese) with a couple of pictures: Conheça o novo Trilho Panorâmico do Tejo.

For pilgrims staying at Barquinha, walking this trail (which goes in the opposite direction to the camino) and visiting the castle could be a great idea for a rest day, or an afternoon activity for the energetic crowd! There's also a Templar museum in Barquinha, and the town is well situated between Azinhaga (about 17km back) and Tomar (about 21km ahead) to be an overnight stop anyway.

Maybe @trecile could scope it out for us in a few days' time!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
it's a 10km trail along the Tagus river and past the Templar castle Castelo de Almourol, situated on a little island in the river
I wonder how far it is to get to the castle. I'll be walking a short day into Vila Nova de Barquinha, but I'm not sure I want to turn it into a long day by walking an additional 10+ km!

I wonder how far it is to get to the castle. I'll be walking a short day into Vila Nova de Barquinha, but I'm not sure I want to turn it into a long day by walking an additional 10+ km!
That's the dilemma (and why a rest day is probably necessary to do it all on foot). This is what I wrote on my live CP thread:

There is a Templar castle - Castelo Almourol - on an island in the Tejo just over 5km from Vila Nova de Barquinha, in the opposite direction from the camino. We’d really like to visit it but can’t really do it from here without taking a rest day because there’s no currently open accommodation options between here and Tomar and we can’t visit the castle and make it all the way to Tomar in one day. There are good train connections to the castle from Lisbon so we might save it for another time, but it would have been great to visit it while on camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, JungleBoy!

There is the alternative of the train (CP). The local train stops in Barquinha, then Tancos, then I think there is a stop right AT Almourol, and then Praia de Ribatejo, which is the most easterly town in the Barquinha municipality. The new trail is probably quite close to the rail line most of the way along. Certainly it is at Tancos.

So in theory, one could take the train one way, and then walk back.

Looking at the map, it looks like it's only about 4 km of the entire 10 km trail as far as Almourol--about halfway along the trail.

And looking at the schedule, you're only travelling 2 stops for the 4 km; you can buy the ticket on the train, which will only be a euro or two, and they run in both directions several times a day.

On the schedule below, you're looking at the "Regional" lines, at small stops between the major ones of Entroncamento and Abrantes.

Heading east (to walk back west), the current schedule seems to show Barquinha pickups at 7:52, 11:33, 17:33 and 19:38 (pretty late). The run between stations literally takes 5 minutes.

If you wanted to walk, and then ride back, the pickups at Almourol are 12:05,15:54, and 20:08.

Remember, these are slowish "milk-run" trains without reserved seats. They're meant for locals, and quite used to picking up passengers without advance notice.

Bom caminho, and welcome to Vila Nova da Barquinha and the heart of the Ribatejo!

PS--Map:

1652062801209.png

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back