• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New site for pilgrims with disabilities

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
http://accesible.xacobeo.es/es
...is a site that we have published today for those of you with disabilities planning to walk the Camino. This site has a lot (hundreds!) of photos for the stages between O Cebreiro and Santiago on the camino frances.

If you are in a wheelchair, you will see what type of road/surface you can expect + some spots that might be difficult. The site is only in spanish and galego (sorry!), but the photos speaks for themselves.

The photos and text has been collected/written by people at COGAMI (La Confederación Gallega de Personas con Discapacidad) that have a lot of experience with this type of material:
http://www.cogami.es/cogami/v09/es/default.asp

I have not seen a site with this type of information for pilgrims on any other website, so i hope it will be useful for future pilgrims.

Buen Camino!

Saludos,
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is great news Ivar!
The latest post on my blog is for people with disabilities and two of the other websites I've included are:
http://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santi ... nicial.htm
http://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santi ... esumen.htm
The 2004 website of Ibermutuar with a guide starting from St Jean that was created by a group of people with disabilities who personally travelled stages of the Camino. The advice, suggestions, alternatives and remarks are the result of hours of efforts during the tour, which gives a look at the difficulties that face disabled pilgrims.

You can download an 8 stage guide on the Camino Frances in Galicia from O Cebreiro to Santiago. It is in Spanish but contains hundreds of photographs of the paths on each stage.
http://www.guiarepsol.com/es_es/turismo ... sible.aspx

PS: I've compared the two sites from Cebreiro to Santiago and this site seems to be exactly the same as the one you posted.

Wow! This is great! I saw only one man doing the Camino in a wheel chair, but he was well equipped and his lovely wife was accompanying him. When he could not find accomodation, they simply camped out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a pilgrim with a disability who has just returned from the Camino, I can see where this site is a big help. Though there is still A LOT to be done to help educate those along the camino. Nigel (service dog) and I finished our camino on 3/10. Even though Galicia does have laws as to assistance dogs and guide dogs, only the hotels, and two albergues knew of these laws. Even with Nigel's papers and registration with ONCE we were tossed out of the cathedral in Leon, and nearly out of Astorga. We walked 40K from Sarria to Ligonde to find a bed one day as no albergue, Municiple included, would allow us to stay the night. Madrid police refused to allow us on the metro. Nigel's pack is clearly marked as service dog both in English and Spanish. It did not matter.
I know some folks believe Spain is a progressive country but until all provinces recognize the rights of those who have different abilities, I believe Spain will remain as it was during the time of Franco...

I would like to do what ever I can from my small part of the world to help make the camino accessible to those who wish or are desire to go.

Kim

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.