• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New sub-forum for caregivers?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been in touch with another peregrina who finds herself in my situation, with increasing caregiving responsibilities at home. Though I am getting great support here from family, friends, and professionals, I find that trying to figure out how to continue the camino is not a topic I can get good advice on. Not surprising, perhaps, since how many times have forum members noted how others “just don’t get” what they are talking about when the conversation turns to the camino?! So I think being a caregiver and a camino addict produces a venn diagram with a very small set. But I’ll bet many of you are here on the forum.

I know that this is a sensitive and very personal topic, and I assume that many want to maintain their privacy rather than have forum-wide discussions. I have discussed this with Ivar, and there are several options with increasing levels of privacy. The one I think works best is to have a sub-forum whose name (e.g., Caregivers and the Camino) is visible when you scroll through the forum list, but only those who are members of that group will be able to open the forum and see the messages. Having the name of the forum visible is one way that new members might see that there is a group talking about these issues, so that they can inquire about it. Being totally secret means that no one will ever know we are there!

Anyone who is interested in being a member of this group should send me a PM. I will keep a list and we can have private conversation discussions to work out the details. That is a more cumbersome way for a group to keep in touch, though, so once we agree on how to do it, I will ask Ivar to set up the group as its own sub-forum. He can use his tech magic to create the membership list that I send him, and then off we go! It would work just like the forum works — new messages posted by group members would show up on your “new posts” feed, but only if you are a member of the group. Members, and only members, could also go to the forum list and click on the forum name, and then can scroll through all of the messages posted. Again, just like the “regular” forum works but only visible to members.

I know that holidays are approaching, and I don’t expect we will get much done before the new year, but I wanted to shout it out so that people might start thinking about it. And it’s particularly timely since end of year is around the time I get into high gear camino planning! Send me a PM for more information. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I thought I would bring this up to the top and give an update. Since people contact me privately, the thread sank quickly.

So far we are a group of 6 or 7. If anyone else wishes to be included, please PM me privately. In early January, Ivar will work his tech magic and we will be a private group. If you have any questions about how it will work or if there are privacy aspects that I haven’t exlplained well enough, please let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will this new sub forum accommodate those who are walking as support persons to a pilgrim?

Or will it be for those who are caregivers at home, dealing with how to cope with the issues around going on camino while leaving their cared for person at home?

I think you mean the second group. The trick will be how to convey that clearly.

Will this new sub forum accommodate those who are walking as support persons to a pilgrim?

Or will it be for those who are caregivers at home, dealing with how to cope with the issues around going on camino while leaving their cared for person at home?

I think you mean the second group. The trick will be how to convey that clearly.

You are right that I had thought originally about the second group, but we would also welcome people who plan to walk while being caregivers. One thing I have learned in my short time in this role is that empathy flows and connections are made quickly between and among those who find themselves in this position. So I feel pretty confident speaking for those who have contacted me by saying that any caregiver in any situation is welcome!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Caregivers sub-forum has gone live!

If you would like to join in this private discussion area, you should send a private Conversation to me or to Ivar, or add a post to this thread, asking to be added to the group. Once you are a member, you will be able to see the private forum on the Home page.

There are 12 of us now in the group. I will periodically bump up this thread to alert newcomers to our existence. Many many thanks to Ivar for having done all the tech magic necessary to get us up and running. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.