• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New target for the driven!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rebeka, do I detect a hint of disdain?

Certainly would have missed the wonderful hospitality that you and Paddy give.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good effort!

Do some think that someone who cycles that far, 35hrs near non-stop, learns nothing? Digging deep into your reserves for even half that time would be a lesson.

You can dig deep and find your reserves anywhere if you are trying to bike so far so fast.
The camino is a very special place, it is sacred journey to many many people. Making it into a personal race track or launch-pad for a media event is a misuse, IMHO. But some people don´t really know what "sacred" means, and just don´t get it.
Still, the camino has been here for a thousand years, and has probably withstood a lot worse. It does not care who does what along the Way.
I just like to see it treated with a bit of respect.

Reb.

As usual we see eye to eye on that one Rebekah (although I do see my sacred trails by bike).

Looks like he was on a road bike though, so he didn't need to mow down too many peregrinos along the way. Must have missed most of the actual trail.

If he really wanted to go fast, a car would have worked better.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
james-o said:
Good effort!

Do some think that someone who cycles that far, 35hrs near non-stop, learns nothing? Digging deep into your reserves for even half that time would be a lesson.

I have my doubts. I watched some lame brain adventure racer running through a remote village in Nepal, saying "these people have no concept of what we are going through" My wife replied "and she has no concept what it might be like to give birth in a dirt floor hut in a remote village in Nepal."

Anyway, the ultra racers would do well to find a less busy and sacred route!

Rebekah Scott said:
You can dig deep and find your reserves anywhere if you are trying to bike so far so fast.
My reserve is fed by the recent doping issues on fast bikers. :( Or, could it hit the Guiness Book of Records :twisted: ?

You might be on to something!
Will blood transfusions and testosterone patches help me get to the next albergue before the beds are taken?

Do you still deserve a compostelle if you doped to get there? If all the other pilgrims doped, can I cry about and be forgiven?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Rebeka, do I detect a hint of disdain?

Certainly would have missed the wonderful hospitality that you and Paddy give.
Yep, and if one of the dogs or cats fell asleep on their lap they wouldn't be able to move for hours! :D

Buen Camino!

You couldn't ride the walker's path in 35hrs, it'd never be a 'time triallers' route for all the right reasons.
he was on a road bike though
Exactly, open roads on the tarmac route. I totally appreciate the point about the nature of the Camino, but it's the same as racing along many ancient routes that have now become roads, or like this, have tarmac 'versions'. It's a named / known route rather than 750Km of random route, so the 'feat' has a more recognisable value in promotion - he's a pro rider after all.

Adventure racers in Nepal - one self-centred rider on a supported event isn't worth considering, there's idiots in all walks of life : ) I've seen a few there while walking and cycling in Nepal with Nepalese or ex-pats as company. I also know a rider who raced a week-long event there and came back with a wonderful perspective on the people and culture.

Making it into a personal race track or launch-pad for a media event is a misuse, IMHO.
Perhaps, yes. How about advertising your work on a forum for pilgrims? Different yes, but still having a commercial interest or benefit in a place that's for sharing interest and experience in a cultural and spiritual path - I see this forum simply as some of the camino existing online. I don't mean to be argumentative and perhaps that doesn't even deserve a reply- just a thought.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A point well taken.
I have written several books that no one has heard me mention. I would not have mentioned my latest here on the forum if it did not relate directly to subjects camino-walkers would find enlightening and interesting... it is set on the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata, and involves some of the earliest pilgrimage pioneers.
Aside from that, Peaceable Publishing is still, alas, a non-profit enterprise!

I have been careful to not "advertise." I will continue my current degree of discretion.

Peaceable Publishing is still, alas, a non-profit enterprise!
That does make a difference ) I simply saw two different ways of the camino being a springboard for promotion - something I don't have an issue with as long as the experince of those travelling on it is not interrupted. That's the world we're in, people need to be heard sometimes.

Bragging about how far how fast though? Impressive feat but there's always someone faster.. I found cycling the Camino and sleeping in the hills and fields along the way a very peaceful experience - so much so we dragged out the last sections to take a little longer, add a day or 2. Then I carried on to Finisterre alone, just to sit on the beach for a while. I'll admit to noting the cycling time from Santiago to Finisterre and back though, just for my own interest!

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back