• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New to forum

Natique2

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hi
I am new to this forum. My husband and I will walk the Camino Frances in Sept 2023. We are preparing now but have a lot to learn. Right now, we don’t even know how to get to SJDP from USA. It appears as though flying into Paris and then taking a train to Bayonne with further bus travel to SJDP. However, it also appears as though flying into Madrid may be an option. I will check the FAQs to learn what might be best.

Best regards,
Maryanne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maryanne. Both Paris and Madrid are good options for getting to SJPP. Personally, I like to fly into Paris and leave out of Madrid. You will find a number of threads on the Forum regarding travel to Saint Jean. If you do fly into CDG, the train to Bayonne (out of Gare Montparnasse) and then another train on to SJPP is quite easy to arrange. For the return, I like again taking the train from SdC to Madrid where I catch my flight back to the States. But, read some of the Forum posts to see what might work best for you. As you make your arrangements, do give yourself enough time to rest a bit after getting to Europe. The first day across the Pyrenees is both majestic and tiring. Be sure to recharge your batteries a bit before you begin your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello , Welcome

Yes arrival airport can be Paris
to SJPD you can go by train with change in Bayonne
See an example :
On working days you will have 3 connection from Paris - Montparnasse
weekend two connections (disclaimer this is not the timetable for september )
Happy learning

1674919166773.png 1674919020852.png

Hi Maryanne. Both Paris and Madrid are good options for getting to SJPP. Personally, I like to fly into Paris and leave out of Madrid. You will find a number of threads on the Forum regarding travel to Saint Jean. If you do fly into CDG, the train to Bayonne (out of Gare Montparnasse) and then another train on to SJPP is quite easy to arrange. For the return, I like again taking the train from SdC to Madrid where I catch my flight back to the States. But, read some of the Forum posts to see what might work best for you. As you make your arrangements, do give yourself enough time to rest a bit after getting to Europe. The first day across the Pyrenees is both majestic and tiring. Be sure to recharge your batteries a bit before you begin your Camino.
Yes! This is the same plan as what I was thinking of doing - fly into Paris and fly out of Madrid or Porto. Can you tell me how I access the train schedules? Do I need to reserve a train tickets out of Gare Montparnasse and Bayonne? Is there a website I should access for train tickets? Thank you so much for your help! I’m a bit nervous about getting to SJPP and how to accomplish that.

Maryanne

Hello , Welcome

Yes arrival airport can be Paris
to SJPD you can go by train with change in Bayonne
See an example :
On working days you will have 3 connection from Paris - Montparnasse
weekend two connections (disclaimer this is not the timetable for september )
Happy learning

View attachment 140434 View attachment 140433
Thank you! What site did you go to to access these train schedules?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can purchase from French railways online
a little unpractice homepage but is OK
For purchase tickets you only have to open account and you can pay by credit card of course.
the purchase is only possible I think 3 to 6 month in advance (?)

1674920861978.png

Hi
I am new to this forum. My husband and I will walk the Camino Frances in Sept 2023. We are preparing now but have a lot to learn. Right now, we don’t even know how to get to SJDP from USA. It appears as though flying into Paris and then taking a train to Bayonne with further bus travel to SJDP. However, it also appears as though flying into Madrid may be an option. I will check the FAQs to learn what might be best.

Best regards,
Maryanne
If you plan on starting in SJPdP in September make reservations ASAP from SJPdP. as soon as you make your air reservations. Accommodations between SJPdP and Pamplona are limited given the numbers that begin there in Sept. I really urge you to reserve now or you may find yourselves having to taxi to another town after an exhausting days Walk. Booking. com usually has reasonable cancellation time, but not always so read the cancellation info carefully. They are a reliable company.

Try using booking.com and Gronze.com to make Reservations. Take into account not only the distance but the terrain.

You need to compare (use skyscanner.com) the best and most direct route to Paris or Madrid factoring in cost…if that is a factor. Always, however make reservations directly with an airline and not a consolidator or company other than the airline, because once overseas one wants to deal directly with the airlline if changes need to be made, and not be dealing with a third party first.

We take a nonstop flight from EWR to Madrid, taxi to Chamartin train station in Madrid ( there are several stations) then we Take three-hour train to Pamplona, havea prvate taxi arranged abt 125 euros now and we are in SJPdP the day we arrive in Europe by 4:30pm.

If you fly into Paris, see Trainline.com for rail connections.
If into Madrid see renfe.com orTrainline.

Happy planning. Keep your questions coming!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you plan on starting in SJPdP in September make reservations ASAP from SJPdP. as soon as you make your air reservations. Accommodations between SJPdP and Pamplona are limited given the numbers that begin there in Sept. I really urge you to reserve now or you may find yourselves having to taxi to another town after an exhausting days Walk. Booking. com usually has reasonable cancellation time, but not always so read the cancellation info carefully. They are a reliable company.

Try using booking.com and Gronze.com to make Reservations. Take into account not only the distance but the terrain.

You need to compare (use skyscanner.com) the best and most direct route to Paris or Madrid factoring in cost…if that is a factor. Always, however make reservations directly with an airline and not a consolidator or company other than the airline, because once overseas one wants to deal directly with the airlline if changes need to be made, and not be dealing with a third party first.

We take a nonstop flight from EWR to Madrid, taxi to Chamartin train station in Madrid ( there are several stations) then we Take three-hour train to Pamplona, havea prvate taxi arranged abt 125 euros now and we are in SJPdP the day we arrive in Europe by 4:30pm.

If you fly into Paris, see Trainline.com for rail connections.
If into Madrid see renfe.com orTrainline.

Happy planning. Keep your questions coming!
Are you suggesting I forego arriving in Orisson or Roncesvalle and looking for Albergue? I have used booking.com but did not think this was for Albergues. Are all the Albergues are taken in September ? Do I need to arrange hotel reservations all along the entire route or just from SJPD to Pamplona? Thanks for your assistance and advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Accommodations between SJPdP and Pamplona are limited given the numbers that begin there in Sept
good advice. Use www.gronze.com for your planning, it is the most update. (Use Google Translate to English) If you travel via Madrid, you may also consider to take a train or bus to Pamplona and to start walking from there; a much gentler beginning and no worries of finding a bed, ("The Camino starts in SJPdP" is a myth)

Buen Camino

Are you suggesting I forego arriving in Orisson or Roncesvalle and looking for Albergue? I have used booking.com but did not think this was for Albergues. Are all the Albergues are taken in September ? Do I need to arrange hotel reservations all along the entire route or just from SJPD to Pamplona?
If you want to stay at Orisson or Borda which is new in the last few years and just past Orisson you need to reserve as soon as you buy your air tickets and know your dates.

You can book Roncesvalles as well on their website.

Many albergues can be reserved on booking.com. Use the Gronze website to check the location of any property to make sure that it's on or near the Camino. Gronze is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

And I agree that in September that you should reserve up through Pamplona. After that there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrim traffic spreads out.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Defintely, absolutely, book thru Pamplona. And then I suggest two days in advance till Burgos. There were many people taking buses because they couldn’t find occupancy.

As far as booking.com goes and albergues, it does list many private albergues. A number of them have bunk beds listed. Also use Gronze.com. Lots of private albergues have privatrooms as well as bunk bedrooms.

Book your train tickets as far in advance as possible for cheaper fares. To help you understand the train systen in europe go to man in seat 61.
Mark is the authority on train travel in europe.
Prices go up as tickets are bought, so the early bird gets the worm, but many cheap fares have conditions so read the fine print.
FrenchRailways SNCF usually opens up to 4months in advance so keep up with seat availability for inexpensive fares. Many travelers from USA use trainline instead SNCF because it is more user friendly. Once SNCF opens the schedules will also appear on trainline.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Truly appreciate your help!
You are welcome
Its normal that people are a little nervous as a beginner
When I did the Camino Frances I took the train from Paris to SJPdP . after fetching my first stamp at the pilgrim office I started the walk at about 3pm with the first goal albergue Borda . This took me you about 3 hours. Borda is a nice alternative to Orission.
Depending on your physical conditions you can also start the longer stretch in the morning to Roncesvalles.
But start slowly .
I booked Borda , Roncesvalles and Zubiri Albergues ahead. The following days until Santiago I was more confident and booked one or two days ahead. Booking is easy either by booking .com or in Gronze Homepage where you find contact phone numbers or eMail , and you can always try to contact the Hospitalera on short notice . this worked alway fine for me. Gronze.com was for me the most valuable tool.
I don't know which type of Pilgrim you are . Are you planning to stay in Albergues with Bunk Beds or Hotels.
I can recommend the Albergues and never forget:
The Camino provides what you need , not what you like.
Happy planning

Last edited:
Be aware that not all places take reservations and that just because booking.com says someplace is full does not mean it is full. Booking.com gets some beds, but not all beds at a hotel/hostal/etc. You can contact the place direct to see if beds are still available. We usually don't book at all or we wait until the day of arrival to call and see what is open and we often stay at the places that don't take reservations at all. We too have always had a bed. People tend to get really anxious and worked up about this topic so you'll get lots of advice to either "book" or "not book" on this forum

That said, September is one of the busiest months on the Camino and bed space is tight at that time between SJPDP and Pamplona. If you want to see the Pyrennes and avoid the crowds, you could start in Somport on the Aragonnes and then join the Camino Frances in Puenta la Reina or just start in Pamplona instead of SJPDP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are welcome
Its normal that people are a little nervous as a beginner
When I did the Camino Frances I took the train from Paris to SJPdP . after fetching my first stamp at the pilgrim office I started the walk at about 3pm with the first goal albergue Borda . This took me you about 3 hours. Borda is a nice alternative to Orission.
Depending on your physical conditions you can also start the longer stretch in the morning to Roncesvalles.
But start slowly .
I booked Borda , Roncesvalles and Zubiri Albergues ahead. The following days until Santiago I was more confident and booked one or two days ahead. Booking is easy either by booking .com or in Gronze Homepage where you find contact phone numbers or eMail , and you can always try to contact the Hospitalera on short notice . this worked alway fine for me. Gronze.com was for me the most valuable tool.
I don't know which type of Pilgrim you are . Are you planning to stay in Albergues with Bunk Beds or Hotels.
I can recommend the Albergues and never forget:
The Camino provides what you need , not what you like.
Happy planning
We are more the Albergues type wanting a spiritual journey that embraces community. Thank you for all the tips. It is truly appreciated.

Thank you! What site did you go to to access these train schedules?
I tried to obtain tickets for Aug 23 but the site said I could not book yet. Do you know how far in advance I can book train tickets out of Paris Montparnasse?

I tried to obtain tickets for Aug 23 but the site said I could not book yet. Do you know how far in advance I can book train tickets out of Paris Montparnasse?
Probably about 3-4 months in advance.
You can register for alerts on raileurope.com and the site will let you know when the tickets for your date go on sale.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made a test. you can book 4 month ahead (e.g. 1st February to 1st of June )
So you should be able to book from 23nd April
The timetable is also updated accordingly , there might be a seasonal ( summer ) plan
By the way for Spain you can book over Spain railways https://www.renfe.com/es/en

Last edited:
For your perusal only: I bought the airlines tickets for both of us. Flying from SCQ to MAD by Iberia non stop flight € 106.82 total including checking luggage 23 kg each. It’s more cheaper flying than taking a train.

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.