• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New? umbrella clips

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I love using a hands free umbrella, and I love my Euroschirm telescope hands free umbrella, but it's a bit heavy. I have used a lighter weight umbrella the last two years, but I haven't found a way of attaching it that works as well as the Euroschirm system.
After purchasing a Gossamer Gear pack this year I am now on their mailing list, and was coaxed to peruse their website again. I searched for "umbrella" and found that they have these clips, which look like they will work very well for regular umbrellas.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't yet bought a hands free umbrella but have been thinking about it. This looks worth trying while I sit on the fence. However, the shipping to Canada of the clips (value $5.99) would be $16.20. Still cheaper than an expensive umbrella, but I'd like to see some reviews first.

I used a lightweight umbrella this September and fixed it with some drinking tube clips on self-sticking velcro straps, so I could easily remove them from the pack straps if necessary. The clip can be turned into position depending on where the wind comes from, and I clipped the chest strap over it and attached an S karabiner to the strap on the umbrella to secure it. Worked a treat!
umbrella clip.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are several brands available on amazon.co.uk and amazon.fr - most of them look the same (come from the same factory in China?) and come at about 4 £ or 3.75 €, no delivery charge if delivered within the country. Will try them out now.

For years I have been using the Euroschirm clip for my drink tube! Did not know special clips for drink tubes existed....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used a lightweight umbrella this September and fixed it with some drinking tube clips on self-sticking velcro straps, so I could easily remove them from the pack straps if necessary. The clip can be turned into position depending on where the wind comes from, and I clipped the chest strap over it and attached an S karabiner to the strap on the umbrella to secure it. Worked a treat!
View attachment 67622
I have some of those clips too, but I'm hoping that the Gossamer Gear clips might be a bit more snug.
For years I have been using the Euroschirm clip for my drink tube!
I've always done the same with the Euroschrim clips.

View attachment 67622

I used these same clips, obtained through Amazon, to attach my Decathlon golf umbrella to the shoulder strap of my new Berghaus Fast Hike 32. I had it out for a test hike yesterday with the local APOC chapter.

This umbrella is very similar in dimensions to the Euroschirm but costs about €14. A BIG difference. I bought mine in safety neon lime-yellow ... for road walking in poor weather... It is rated at UPF 50 and has a silver interior lining. The canopy is about one-meter across.

This umbrella should be readily available across European Decathlon stores. But, even in the US, you can go to www.decathlon.com and search or 'golf umbrellas." Here is the result:

There are three sizes. I have the small size....

The clip system I "made" works very well to hold the umbrella shaft vertical. However, if you use something like a carabiner or non-elastic loop cord tie with a squeeze fastener to the rucksack waist strap the shaft stays even more vertical. I will also bounce less as you walk.

Finally, I use another non-elastic looped cord with squeeze fastener to ensure the shaft does not come out of the drinks clip. This all works very well.

The SOLE problem is that the umbrella wants to slide DOWN through the drinks clip so my head is in the umbrella's ribs. Not a good thing for any number of reasons.

Yesterday, on the test hike, I used a length of ribbed plastic cable covering, like you might use behind a computer to hide cables and wires. I happened to have some lying around.

This material is sold in coils of a couple of meters long, many electronic supply stores, your local DIY (electrical aisle) or even an IKEA store. It comes in varied inner dimensions. It can be cut with a pair of kitchen shears. I advise obtaining the narrowest type, that just snaps around the umbrella shaft. It is already split longitudinally (lengthwise) to facilitate putting it around cables and wires.

This works very well, is very lightweight and can store, clipped to one of the underside ribs of the umbrella when the umbrella is closed. However, I need a piece of this tubing that is about 3 inches (8 cm ) longer. So, now, I am working on a length of similar lightweight tubing that will ride atop the drinks clip to ensure the umbrella shaft cannot slide down.

The PERFECT umbrella mounting system will securely hold the umbrella vertical, at a height of my choosing. Yes, I COULD simply hold the umbrella by the handle. But my requirement is to keep bot hans free for using my hiking sticks.

Hope this helps.

The PERFECT umbrella mounting system will securely hold the umbrella vertical, at a height of my choosing.
Which is exactly how the Euroschirm hands free umbrella (which I bought from you @t2andreo 😊) works.
I would just like to use a lighter weight umbrella.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven't yet bought a hands free umbrella but have been thinking about it. This looks worth trying while I sit on the fence. However, the shipping to Canada of the clips (value $5.99) would be $16.20. Still cheaper than an expensive umbrella, but I'd like to see some reviews first.

I've used them, and even in windy weather they work well and seem to securely hold the trekking sized umbrella's in place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, pkease let us know how the Gossamer Gear ones do. What is special about them? When I checked others they all looked the same to me....

Yes, pkease let us know how the Gossamer Gear ones do. What is special about them? When I checked others they all looked the same to me....
Don't know if they're any different. I bought them because they were so cheap and sold by the same company from whom l bought the umbrella so knew they would fit. Not worth it to me to do anymore research!

They work very well. There is nothing 'special' about them. It is simply one choice out of many for this type of product. If one chooses to purchase the specific Gossamer Gear clip, they will get value for the money, as I suspect will occur if a different product choice is made. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love using a hands free umbrella, and I love my Euroschirm telescope hands free umbrella, but it's a bit heavy. I have used a lighter weight umbrella the last two years, but I haven't found a way of attaching it that works as well as the Euroschirm system.
After purchasing a Gossamer Gear pack this year I am now on their mailing list, and was coaxed to peruse their website again. I searched for "umbrella" and found that they have these clips, which look like they will work very well for regular umbrellas.

Thanks so much for that suggestion!! That looks like a great solution!

I bought them because they were so cheap

Where can i get them in Europe / Germany? I couldn‘t find them anyhwere but at Gossamer Gear in US. Shipping them to germany is .... nope! Have the phantastic HandsFree TeleScope with the clips and the half weight one without any clips, can only adjust them with velcro (really bad solution).

So long
DonCamino

Where can i get them in Europe / Germany? I couldn‘t find them anyhwere but at Gossamer Gear in US. Shipping them to germany is .... nope! Have the phantastic HandsFree TeleScope with the clips and the half weight one without any clips, can only adjust them with velcro (really bad solution).

So long
DonCamino

There are European dealers who carry Gossamer Gear inventory. . whether or not that includes ALL items, I do not know. Since these dealers have a vendor's relationship with GG, if they do not carry the clips you can ask them if they would order them in.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.