• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

NEW update on Dave Bugg

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I have just received a new email update from Dave Bugg, and because of the many heartwarming replies and concern he received from forum members, so with permission I am sharing a portion of his relatively good news with all of you. Dave has spent nearly a month at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio undergoing a bone marrow transplant which is looking quite successful.

"I am now home, having arrived yesterday afternoon. The recovery time was quicker than had been expected, although the final evaluation of the treatments effectiveness won't be known for another 3 weeks. But so far, things are wonderfully optimistic.

It is almost surreal in a way being home. . . sorta like being on a boat for a while and then needing to readjust to being on land again 😁😁 But it is a most wonderful sense of comfort and peace to be here and to have family around.

I actually feel pretty good, considering. I have been out walking to start to regain my strength back. I told Jill that Santa could bring me some muscle strength and energy as a stocking stuffer :) I just decided that I need to start ever-so-slowly working into some level of fitness, no matter how long it takes. My Doc says its OK to be out walking, so why wait?

One thing had me spoiled, and that was the hospital mattress that I had in my room. My gosh, it was the most comfortable mattress EVER. . at least from my experience. I wonder if Santa has room in his sleigh for one of those?

Anyway, since the preliminary results are promising, I just will keep focused on what I know now, and take comfort in that information for the present. It also really helps that the arsenal of medications that I need to take during the day is being handled by Jill.

Thank you for all your support. I am doing well in both body (for now) and soul."

Dave

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I have just received a new email update from Dave Bugg, and because of the many heartwarming replies and concern he received from forum members, so with permission I am sharing a portion of his relatively good news with all of you. Dave has spent nearly a month at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio undergoing a bone marrow transplant which is looking quite successful.

"I am now home, having arrived yesterday afternoon. The recovery time was quicker than had been expected, although the final evaluation of the treatments effectiveness won't be known for another 3 weeks. But so far, things are wonderfully optimistic.

It is almost surreal in a way being home. . . sorta like being on a boat for a while and then needing to readjust to being on land again 😁😁 But it is a most wonderful sense of comfort and peace to be here and to have family around.

I actually feel pretty good, considering. I have been out walking to start to regain my strength back. I told Jill that Santa could bring me some muscle strength and energy as a stocking stuffer :) I just decided that I need to start ever-so-slowly working into some level of fitness, no matter how long it takes. My Doc says its OK to be out walking, so why wait?

One thing had me spoiled, and that was the hospital mattress that I had in my room. My gosh, it was the most comfortable mattress EVER. . at least from my experience. I wonder if Santa has room in his sleigh for one of those?

Anyway, since the preliminary results are promising, I just will keep focused on what I know now, and take comfort in that information for the present. It also really helps that the arsenal of medications that I need to take during the day is being handled by Jill.

Thank you for all your support. I am doing well in both body (for now) and soul."

Dave
Thanks for the update. I do hope to see Dave back on here in due course, please add my best wishes to the others if you’re in contact with him.

Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
2021 Camino Guides
The French Way (2016), Portuguese Camino (2018),
Am so happy that you are responding well. I had a stem cell transplant June 2019 and was back to most work by October. Walking is the best....we all know that...and go only as far as feels good. I still take siestas (Camino gift) almost daily. Merry Christmas and a healthy 2021 to all

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Holy Year Credential

MarkyD

Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018

Dave
That's wonderful news. Thank you for sharing. A great chunk of Christmas cheer has just exploded in my heart!

JamesVT

Camino Frances 2019

Dave
Wonderful news about Dave’s progress and return home. Dave is a living treasure to those who have read his words and thoughts regarding the Camino over the years. It’s so good to hear that Dave is outdoors, walking, building his strength, and has his family with him. Bless you, Dave. Good luck in the year ahead.

biped

Sept (2017)
Wonderful news! I am so happy to hear that Dave has cause for optimism! May he continue to gather health and strength, and may his loved ones rejoice in having him home and in the bosom of family. Chrissy, thanks for updating us and please pass along my good wishes when you have an opportunity. (And also my amazement that hospital mattresses come in a variety other than loud and crinkly :)

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I sent Dave a quick note that I have posted to the forum on his health status and that many folks are liking his update and sending such kind replies.
I know we are all blessed by his words and are showing it; I'm confident he will log in occasionally to take a look at the thread.

StFina

CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
Dave: Please be sure to keep the faith. I had two allogenic bone marrow transplants for CML leukemia some time back with my brother as a donor. I am in remission, and have walked multiple Caminos since then. At 58, I might add that my appreciation for the joy and wonder of walking any of the various Caminos has only increased. May you experience the same and more. I wish you all the best in this difficult journey, and am hoping to see you on future Caminos. - Steve

2021 Camino Guides

MaineSally

MaineSally
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)

Dave
I had scoured forum posts to see if there was any way of finding DaveBugg’s email just to let him know I was thinking of him. This is wonderful news! Camino Chrissy, this truly is a gift! Love and best wishes to all...especially to Jill and DaveBugg!

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I had scoured forum posts to see if there was any way of finding DaveBugg’s email just to let him know I was thinking of him. This is wonderful news! Camino Chrissy, this truly is a gift! Love and best wishes to all...especially to Jill and DaveBugg!
Sally, I had posted Dave's email address on the previous original thread, "Update on Dave Bugg"...you will find it there.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Sally, I had posted Dave's email address on the previous original thread, "Update on Dave Bugg"...you will find it there.
I hesitate to write to Dave as I do not know how inundated he wants his inbox to be. We have consulted a few times and I ALWAYS read his comments. I can't say how many times other Pilgrims as well as myself would refer new pilgrims with questions to Dave. His generosity knows few bounds here on the Forum and I am sure more so in life. He is someone who is missed by so many of us who have grown to depend on Dave for so many things. I know his work here was important to us but I am sure that his work in his life was far more important and he touched far more people in a deep way. Please send him my thoughts and that my Camino spirit walks with him. Thanks Chrissy and happy Holidays to you, Dave your families and everyone this forum touches and means something to.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Dave: Please be sure to keep the faith. I had two allogenic bone marrow transplants for CML leukemia some time back with my brother as a donor. I am in remission, and have walked multiple Caminos since then. At 58, I might add that my appreciation for the joy and wonder of walking any of the various Caminos has only increased. May you experience the same and more. I wish you all the best in this difficult journey, and am hoping to see you on future Caminos. - Steve
You give me hope my friend. I have been hit hard on all sides by Cancer this year. As if the Pandemic wasn't enough. I lost one great college friend to Cancer about a month ago. Two other of my college roommates have had the shadow of Cancer befall them. One has prostate cancer that has spread, the other just found out his wife has breast cancer. Another of our group from college has melanoma and has cancer in one of his eyes but the treatment seems to be doing very well. One of my childhood friends also has prostate cancer but thankfully he too is doing well.
The three college friends I spoke of were going to walk in October with me on the VDLP. I pray that I will not be walking alone with a rock in my pocket to pray for them. Hopefully the boys will all be walking together to celebrate 50 years of love and friendship.

Camino Maps
Holy Year Credential
Spring 2016: Camino Frances, Finisterre and Muxia
April 2019: Frances, Salvador, Primitivo
Dave has been on my mind a few times this past week. Thanks for posting this!

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing well and I pray that continues. This is the best news I've heard all week, I'm taking it as my Christmas present. He has given so much of himself to this forum and to the Spirit of the Camino.

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I absolutely love all of the many replies, whether they be encouragements to Dave, appreciation for all the help he has given to forum members, and especially those of you who have shared your own personal struggles with devastating illnesses. I am both tearful and happy at this moment that Dave will be seeing all your appreciations...right in time for Christmas! I am humbled that he has allowed all of us to see him as he is "today" in his struggles with illness, but with hope on the horizen.
I think of his kindnesses not only here, but in the area where he lives and the help given to the Indian reservation in Arizona, which are the recent ones we know about...he is one fine man and your "likes" and wonderful comments are testimony of his goodness.

Donation to the Forum
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
It’s been a very tough year I‘m still recovering too from the foot surgery..finally able to walk properly without crutches but nothing in comparison to what Dave and others are going thru.
Wishing Dave and his family the best in health and happiness. Best holiday wishes to everyone. Cheers to a Camino 2021 !!

Walton

2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
That's the best news I've had in a long while Dave. Made my Christmas Day.

I know there is a long road ahead but as Carol 06 above said "Onwards and upwards Dave.

Wishing you and your patient wife, a great Christmas and may 2021 be a heck of a lot better than this one, for you especially and the rest of us, generally!!!

Is this the wonderful hospital bed you talked about Dave?

(A local farmer, near where I live, builds a wonderfully creative display beside the Tyalgum / Murwillumbah road every year)

B4768DF5-B8C7-406D-923F-C3DCD40B1C70.jpeg

Last edited:
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
2016 CF
2017 CF and Finnisterre
2019 CP and Muxia
Chrissy, thank you so much for posting Dave's health update! I have been wondering how he is doing. Dave, if you or someone you know is reading this message, I like many others, have been thinking about you and hoping and praying that all is going well. Your willingness to help so many people shows that you are a caring person. I pray that you and Jill are getting all the care that you need at this time. Enjoy your walks!
Andrea

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
Wonderful news on Dave, especially in the midst of all the bad news about the coranavirus. Dave, if you read this, we wish you well on your road to recovery, and especially that the road remains smooth without any bumps or detours along the way.

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Donation to the Forum

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino Frances
When the time is right
If not for Dave’s many posts and several kind replies to my emails full of questions, my pack would not be standing at the ready for my first greatly anticipated Camino. Dave, you will be with me as I take my first steps one day, singing « Hark the Herald Angels Sing » as I climb the Pyrénées towards Roncesvalles. So very happy for this amazing news!!! Thank you and God Bless ❤️

shefollowsshells

Several alone and with children

Dave
I'm just now seeing this news, and have been off of the forum for a bit, for no other reason than being busy and I guess accepting of no Camino or travel in 2020. What a wonderful update on Dave!!! We love you, fellow pilgrim!!!! We just this past week got the results of my husband's bloodwork to see if he can be a bone marrow match for his brother with AML Leukemia. He is a 50percent match, but the best match they have so far, so we think in the next several weeks we will be traveling to donate. I'm not certain if this has been addressed on the forum but one of the biggest gifts we can give each other is to be in registry to give marrow/stem cell. In many cases, you are CURING a patient from such a simple act. I've been in the registry since college always feeling I will be called to donate one day, now I wonder if my strong thoughts were actually for my husband to donate.
Keep us posted Dave and know you have an Army of Pilgrim love, support, and wishes !!!
N

shefollowsshells

Several alone and with children
That's the best news I've had in a long while Dave. Made my Christmas Day.

I know there is a long road ahead but as Carol 06 above said "Onwards and upwards Dave.

Wishing you and your patient wife, a great Christmas and may 2021 be a heck of a lot better than this one, for you especially and the rest of us, generally!!!

Is this the wonderful hospital bed you talked about Dave?

(A local farmer, near where I live, builds a wonderfully creative display beside the Tyalgum / Murwillumbah road every year)

View attachment 89823
Being a front line worker, and one of the first 1,000 to get the vaccine in the States I wish I could duplicate this at my hospital! I LOVE IT!!!!

CarolamS

Camino Portuguese 2018
Camino Ingles, Caminos Muxia and Finisterre 2019
I am very pleased indeed to hear the good news of your progress Dave. Thanks Camino Chrissy. I wish you well with your road to fitness and may 2021 be a better year for us all but especially those facing serious health problems.

Donation to the Forum
Holy Year Credential

Cariad

Dave
Sending warm wishes for quick recovery and know you are in our prayers. Stay safe !

jascreative

Frances (2011)
Le Puy & parts of Frances (2013)
Aragones & parts of Frances (2015)
Primitivo (2016)
Great news! So happy to hear about Dave -- sending New Year blessings & many hugs for his healing journey!

MisterH

2017, 2018 neither successful
I'm just now seeing this news, and have been off of the forum for a bit, for no other reason than being busy and I guess accepting of no Camino or travel in 2020. What a wonderful update on Dave!!! We love you, fellow pilgrim!!!! We just this past week got the results of my husband's bloodwork to see if he can be a bone marrow match for his brother with AML Leukemia. He is a 50percent match, but the best match they have so far, so we think in the next several weeks we will be traveling to donate. I'm not certain if this has been addressed on the forum but one of the biggest gifts we can give each other is to be in registry to give marrow/stem cell. In many cases, you are CURING a patient from such a simple act. I've been in the registry since college always feeling I will be called to donate one day, now I wonder if my strong thoughts were actually for my husband to donate.
Keep us posted Dave and know you have an Army of Pilgrim love, support, and wishes !!!
N
Our son contributed bone marrow about 2 years ago. The recipient was, and continues to be unknown. There is help available when needed. Sometimes the amount of help is limited, but it is still out there. May all that are waiting for marrow, or other help get it soon.

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
That is great news!

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Create your own ad
Donation to the Forum

Mycroft

Dave
Wait--what? A comfortable hospital bed? Tell me more!!!

Dave
Thank you for sharing Dave's good news with us here on the Forum. This is a bright spark in the general gloom and I am happy for Dave and his family. Blessings to all pilgrims and prayers for Dave.

Keith H

😱

Dave
Thanks so much for the update. I hadn’t known why I hadn’t seen Dave chiming in on the equipment questions. I’m glad things are looking up for him.

Camino Maps
Holy Year Credential
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
I also took a Forum break, and am so happy to see this news.
Wishing Dave a speedy recovery!
🌻🌻🌻

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I had a request for an update on Dave Bugg's health today on the older thread from October, so decided to post my new reply on here, too, as in better sequence...

Dave had a really nice Christmas with his family and his son, Caleb, whom he has walked the Frances with, had come up from Denver for the week.
Also, he was relieved to know that if any additional followup is needed it could be done in his local area.

Create your own ad
Camino Maps