Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New version of Invierno guide ready for comments

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, Invierno veterans,

I have just finished up the first draft of the new version of the Invierno guide. I had comments from about six different people, and I also walked the Invierno this year myself, so I think the guide is reasonably accurate and up to date. If there are any of you who either need the guide now because you're going to walk in the near future, OR if you are a veteran and are willing to take a look and give feedback, just let me know and I'll send it your way. I really appreciate all input and suggestions. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going to walk it soon. You will also recall that I'm waiting for the Association of the Friends of the Camino de Santiago from A Rua Valdeorras to send me a draft in english for proof-reading of their Guide too.It would seem beneficial to take their Guide into account too ?

I'm going to walk it soon. You will also recall that I'm waiting for the Association of the Friends of the Camino de Santiago from A Rua Valdeorras to send me a draft in english for proof-reading of their Guide too.It would seem beneficial to take their Guide into account too ?

I can send you a draft of what we have if you PM me with an email address. And yes, I remember the great news about the Association guide. I'm hoping that the English version of the A Rua guide will put me out of the Invierno-guide-writing business!

What do mean when you suggest I take their guide into account? I'm happy to put a reference in the online guide as to how to obtain a copy if it's going to be ready soon, but I'm not sure what else I can do -- let me know if you have ideas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Invierno veterans,

I have just finished up the first draft of the new version of the Invierno guide. I had comments from about six different people, and I also walked the Invierno this year myself, so I think the guide is reasonably accurate and up to date. If there are any of you who either need the guide now because you're going to walk in the near future, OR if you are a veteran and are willing to take a look and give feedback, just let me know and I'll send it your way. I really appreciate all input and suggestions. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, when you are ready to post, please include me. It is the one Camino that escaped me this Summer.... lol A reason to go back. Thanks for all the work on it. Blessings Ingrid

I can send you a draft of what we have if you PM me with an email address. And yes, I remember the great news about the Association guide. I'm hoping that the English version of the A Rua guide will put me out of the Invierno-guide-writing business!

What do mean when you suggest I take their guide into account? I'm happy to put a reference in the online guide as to how to obtain a copy if it's going to be ready soon, but I'm not sure what else I can do -- let me know if you have ideas.

My suggestion is that you may wish to read their Guide before finalising your Guide to put any finishing touches to it. Two Guides are better than on as they have different audiences and followers etc !!

Laurie, when you are ready to post, please include me. It is the one Camino that escaped me this Summer.... lol A reason to go back. Thanks for all the work on it. Blessings Ingrid

You know, I am thinking that having a few people look at the guide who have never walked it could be a big help. You could tell me whether things make sense, even though obviously you can't connect a real place to the words in the guide. I did this with the Lisbon to Porto guide, I think it was, and I remember getting some good comments from people who were reading to see if they could understand the instructions. So, Ingrid, if you or any other "Invierno wanna-be" wants to take a look at the draft before I put it on the forum and at CSJ, please PM me. Thank much, buen camino, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My suggestion is that you may wish to read their Guide before finalising your Guide to put any finishing touches to it. Two Guides are better than on as they have different audiences and followers etc !!

Great idea, do you have any idea when the English version is likely to be ready? Not sure I will have access to it before it is actually published, but maybe I'll send my draft to Asún so she can have a look. Thanks, Laurie

Hi, Invierno veterans,

Laurie:

I plan on walking the Invierno this Spring and would be happy to read through the guide.

Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, @Alan Pearce, can I send you a draft so you can tell me what doesn't make sense? Laurie

Hi Laurie

Absolutely you can send me a draft! Will PM my email address immediately.

I have a friend in a nearby town who will also love to have a look at it. He walked the Camino de Madrid this year, about 6 days in front of me, and plans to walk the Invierno in 2018 to celebrate turning 80.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Thanks so much, Alan. I've sent you the draft. No rush for anyone, since I won't be posting the final version till January 2016. More than anything, I want to avoid confusion, since the current version in the forum resources has a 2015 date. So happy to have a lot of extra eyes looking at the guide! buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Invierno veterans,

Hi I am hoping to walk it would really appreciate reading it! aliwalks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks so much, Alan. I've sent you the draft. No rush for anyone, since I won't be posting the final version till January 2016. More than anything, I want to avoid confusion, since the current version in the forum resources has a 2015 date. So happy to have a lot of extra eyes looking at the guide! buen camino, Laurie

Thank YOU Laurie. The weekend is now shot to bits. My wife has just left for 4 days of bridge in Tumbarumba [even Australians love that name] so I have an open go at the computer all weekend!

Alan

Thank YOU Laurie. The weekend is now shot to bits. My wife has just left for 4 days of bridge in Tumbarumba [even Australians love that name] so I have an open go at the computer all weekend!

Alan

A lovely part of the world mate

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You know, I am thinking that having a few people look at the guide who have never walked it could be a big help. You could tell me whether things make sense, even though obviously you can't connect a real place to the words in the guide. I did this with the Lisbon to Porto guide, I think it was, and I remember getting some good comments from people who were reading to see if they could understand the instructions. So, Ingrid, if you or any other "Invierno wanna-be" wants to take a look at the draft before I put it on the forum and at CSJ, please PM me. Thank much, buen camino, Laurie

Hola Laurie,

I left a message for you in the Levante Forum with a bit of information about me! :O) "New on the Forum - Here to say thanks". I hope you read it and then I hope you can send me your Invierno guide so I can give you my thoughts on it! If you haven't finished it already, that is! :O)

Thanks for all your help

Bad Pilgrim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Time is running out for anyone who might want to add comments or suggestions or corrections to the draft of the Invierno guide. I will have the new version posted in early January 2016, so let me know if you plan to send something my way before then. And if by chance anyone who has walked the Invierno has just now seen this message, another set of eyes on the draft can only help. thanks, Laurie

Time is running out for anyone who might want to add comments or suggestions or corrections to the draft of the Invierno guide. I will have the new version posted in early January 2016, so let me know if you plan to send something my way before then. And if by chance anyone who has walked the Invierno has just now seen this message, another set of eyes on the draft can only help. thanks, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I'm planning on walking the Invierno starting Christmas Day of 2015 and would love a copy of your almost finished Invierno guide! I have several other resources but would one more; thanks.

Grady

Hi Laurie,

I'm planning on walking the Invierno starting Christmas Day of 2015 and would love a copy of your almost finished Invierno guide! I have several other resources but would one more; thanks.

Grady
Hi, Grady,
Welcome to the forum!

I would be happy to send it to you -- please send me your email address through the Private Conversation function, and I'll email it to you.

What other sources have you found? I ask because there seems to be quite a dearth of them, unless you read Spanish. There is a guide written by the Amigos of Barco de Valdeorras. They will have a new edition coming out soon, but I walked with the curent one years ago and it was perfectly adequate.

Hope you will report back to let us know how it goes in winter. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie,
Can you email me the final version as early as you have it finished?
I leave for SJPdP on 12 January.
You did send me the first version...but would like to have latest info if possible.

Laurie,
Can you email me the final version as early as you have it finished?
I leave for SJPdP on 12 January.
You did send me the first version...but would like to have latest info if possible.
The Associacion de amigos del camino por Valdeorras published the second edition of its guide in 2015, for what it's worth.

@peregrina2000 , is this a camino where one can walk half an etapa, be picked up the next day then returned, etc.? I am just not a 30km back to back walker. It would take me a good 10 hours a day...

The Associacion de amigos del camino por Valdeorras published the second edition of its guide in 2015, for what it's worth.

@peregrina2000 , is this a camino where one can walk half an etapa, be picked up the next day then returned, etc.? I am just not a 30km back to back walker. It would take me a good 10 hours a day...
Your question jogged my memory, and I remembered writing something up a few years ago. And I found it!

I am not sure if there should be updates, but I'll take a look and get it over to the resources section because I think there are many people who might be interested.

Let me know if things are unclear. Here's the link: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/invierno-short-days-doc.4739/

EDIT: Well, though I remembered that I had written this up years ago, I forgot that I had basically incorporated it into the current version of the guide, so there will be no need for a separate document, I think.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Laurie..
The guide in the Resources Forum is still dated February 2015.
Is that the latest updated version?
Or...are you waiting to have the latest version in its best form before replacing the old one?

Laurie..
The guide in the Resources Forum is still dated February 2015.
Is that the latest updated version?
Or...are you waiting to have the latest version in its best form before replacing the old one?
Hi, grayland,
I am waiting till January to post the new version for a couple of reasons. For one thing, maybe a few more sets of eyes will be reporting back on their look at the draft. But even if not, I want the date to be 2016, so as to avoid confusion with the Feb. 2015 version. There are quite a few changes and improvements, I think. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this!

Buen camino, Laurie

P.s. I think I remember that you will be leaving SJPP on the 13th. Is an early January "publication date" going to be a problem?

Hi, Invierno veterans,

Hello Laurie....where can I find a pdf of your updated version? Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Laurie....where can I find a pdf of your updated version? Thank you!
Hi, Renee,
Welcome to the forum!
The guide is almost done, I'm just putting in the last comments from Kinky. Do you want to give feedback? If so, I'll email you a copy now if you have time to revise it in the next few days. Or are you a future Invierno walker?

I'll post it in the Resources section in the next few days and will post back here to let you know that it's finished.

Buen camino, Laurie

Cannot wait to read it as I have been working out etapas based on distances and sleeping accomodations but am getting confused jumping fro one source to another.

Well, the good thing about the Invierno is that you can make up your own schedule as there are many opportunities to rearrange the stages as it suits you! :OD

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, the good thing about the Invierno is that you can make up your own schedule as there are many opportunities to rearrange the stages as it suits you! :OD
Really? I would love to hear your suggestions. From my look at websites I am struggling to find ways to do shorter days and finding lower cost accomodations like albergues. This is what I have come up with so far:

1: Ponferrada to Borrenes, 20km, casa rural 50€ for a double
2: Borrenes to Puente Domingo ...: 15 km, hostal 27€ for a single
3 and 4: look at how to split the route in two, passing by Subrado, O Barco, Villa Martin & A Rua which are a total of 28.5km, Sobrado has a donativo and a hotel for 27€, Xagoaza an alberge for 6€, Villamartin an albergue for 5€, and A Rua also an albergue for 9€.
5: Quiroga: 25km, muni at 10€
6: A proba do brollon: 23km, a hostal
7: Villaria: 25km,
8: Chantada: 15km, hotel
9: Rodeiro: 25km, pension at 20€
10: Lalin: 22km, pension at 20€
11: Silleda: 18, lots of options from this point on.
12: Puente Villar: 22km
13: Santiago: 22.2km

I'm curious to read what those who have walked the Invierno think of this plan. Thank you in advance.

Really? I would love to hear your suggestions. From my look at websites I am struggling to find ways to do shorter days and finding lower cost accomodations like albergues. This is what I have come up with so far:

1: Ponferrada to Borrenes, 20km, casa rural 50€ for a double
2: Borrenes to Puente Domingo ...: 15 km, hostal 27€ for a single
3 and 4: look at how to split the route in two, passing by Subrado, O Barco, Villa Martin & A Rua which are a total of 28.5km, Sobrado has a donativo and a hotel for 27€, Xagoaza an alberge for 6€, Villamartin an albergue for 5€, and A Rua also an albergue for 9€.
5: Quiroga: 25km, muni at 10€
6: A proba do brollon: 23km, a hostal
7: Villaria: 25km,
8: Chantada: 15km, hotel
9: Rodeiro: 25km, pension at 20€
10: Lalin: 22km, pension at 20€
11: Silleda: 18, lots of options from this point on.
12: Puente Villar: 22km
13: Santiago: 22.2km

I'm curious to read what those who have walked the Invierno think of this plan. Thank you in advance.
Hi, Anemone, the new guide has some "shorter stages" recommendations, and many of your stages are what I would recommend.

Here's just the language about those short stages, the rest will be ready to post in a few days! Buen camino, Laurie

Short Stages on the Invierno

Day 1 -- Ponferrada to Borrenes (20.3 km). This day will bring you past the Castillo de Cornatel, which you may be lucky enough to visit if opening hours coincide with your arrival (they have been reduced because of budget cuts).

Day 2 -- Borrenes to Puente de Domingo Flórez (15 km). Las Médulas is in the middle of this day, 6 km from Borrenes and 9 from Puente de Domingo Flórez. Well worth a long visit. If you're really not rushed for time, stay here and spend the whole afternoon at Las Médulas, there is plenty to see.

Day 3 -- Puente to O Barco de Valdeorras (18.3km)

Day 4 -- Barco to A Rúa (14 km)

Day 5 -- A Rúa to Montefurado (10). Take the train back to A Rúa, then the next day train back to Montefurado. If you’re up for a 24 km day, you could combine day 4 and 5. Arrive in late morning in A Rúa, rest up a bit, and then walk to Montefurado in the afternoon. There is a train back to A Rúa at 18.08, arriving at 18.17. The morning after, you can then get up slightly later, have a leisurely breakfast, and catch the 10.03 train from A Rúa, get off at Montefurado at 10.12, and continue from there onto Quiroga. No ‘cheating’ involved!

Day 6 -- Montefurado to Quiroga (16) (Having given this option to split A Rúa to Quiroga, though, I think that the A Rúa to Quiroga is a very do-able day for most pilgrims. There's an ascent at the end of the day up to the castle, and there is a bit of a slog into Quiroga through suburbs, but all in all an amazing day). Note though, that the only bar along the way, in Soldón, opens only in summer.

Day 7 -- Quiroga to A Pobra de Brollón (23.5 km)

Day 8 – A Pobra de Brollón to one of five options, all of which make for a mid-20 kms day. Castrotañe, Torre Vilariño, Rectoral, Casa Santo Estevo, or Escairón. This option means that you will not spend a night in Monforte de Lemos, which is a nice place and has a fair amount to see and do. Monforte is about 12.5 km from A Pobra.

Day 9 -- Casa Rural to Chantada (about 15 or 16). This day is one to really savor -- first stop, romanesque beauty of a church at Diomondi, then the lovely (though hard on the knees) descent to the Miño River, then back up the other side through vineyards to Chantada. Absolutely a five star walk.

Day 10 -- Chantada to Rodeiro 25.8 km

Day 11 -- Rodeiro to Lalín 21 km

Day 12 -- Lalín to Silleda 15.7 km

Day 14 -- Silleda to Ponte Ulla 20 km

Day 15 -- Ponte Ulla to Santiago 21 km

Great minds think alike! Thank you Laurie! Glad to see my planning was not that far off. I have to say that the most helpful thing I have learned on this forum is that you can split long stages by walking midway, getting a bus-train-taxi back to the morning's departure point, and then back there again. Thank you to those who highlighted this option!

Question Laurie, am I also correct is saying hotels and pensiones will be the only way to go in many of these stages, at least until merging with VDLP?

Great minds think alike! Thank you Laurie! Glad to see my planning was not that far off. I have to say that the most helpful thing I have learned on this forum is that you can split long stages by walking midway, getting a bus-train-taxi back to the morning's departure point, and then back there again. Thank you to those who highlighted this option!

Question Laurie, am I also correct is saying hotels and pensiones will be the only way to go in many of these stages, at least until merging with VDLP?
Hi, Anemone,
There is a pilgrim albergue in A Rúa in Asún's house. There is also a pilgrim albergue about 3 km beyond O Barco De Valdeorras, but that albergue (in Xagoaza) is only about 12 km from Asún's house. And O Barco is a nice place to stay. Kinky stayed in Xagoaza and liked it.

Then there are youth hostels in a few of the places, including Quiroga, the rest are in the guide, I don't have it on the tip of my tongue now, maybe Vilamartín?

Private accommodation is very reasonable, most especially the very nice Casa Rural Torre Vilariño, where they charge pilgrims 20 € each. Swimming pool at no extra charge!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Anemone,
There is a pilgrim albergue in A Rúa in Asún's house. There is also a pilgrim albergue about 3 km beyond O Barco De Valdeorras, but that albergue (in Xagoaza) is only about 12 km from Asún's house. And O Barco is a nice place to stay. Kinky stayed in Xagoaza and liked it.

Then there are youth hostels in a few of the places, including Quiroga, the rest are in the guide, I don't have it on the tip of my tongue now, maybe Vilamartín?

Private accommodation is very reasonable, most especially the very nice Casa Rural Torre Vilariño, where they charge pilgrims 20 € each. Swimming pool at no extra charge!

Buen camino, Laurie
Can't wait to read your guide. Happy new year, filled with as many km as you are looking forward to!

Can't wait to read your guide. Happy new year, filled with as many km as you are looking forward to!
Anemone, don't worry because there are so many options for shorter stages. I've sent my remarks to Laurie, but I was quite OK with my list (attached) that I gathered from different sources in 2014. Mind you that it is not updated (see my day-by-day journal in Invierno section for that)! Here it is in .pdf, because forum doesn't allow .docx files. If you want that one send me a PM with your mail address and I'll send it to you. But you'll have most of it in Invierno guide I guess.

Ultreia!

Attachments

• Invierno - distances & albergues.pdf
    232.8 KB · Views: 2
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back