• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New walker requests advice!

Bija

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino from Porto in 2017.
Dear people,

I've started planning my first trip on the Camino Portugues (mid-April 2017, 10-11 days max, coastal route) and I've only just mapped out the route, thanks to suggestions I found on this site. My main questions are: how to look for accommodation (in advance or on the spot?), how to budget the trip, and what weather to expect on the way. I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

I'll be walking the Camino with my mum and a bunch of her friends, and I know that they'll expect me to handle the logistics. A daunting task!

Best regards,
Bija

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't think mid-April would be a problem normally, but define "a bunch" - needing accommodation for a lot of people could be more challenging. Also, how old and how fit? Any problems w/ making the normal stages? When I was walking it last fall, one day I hiked with a delightful older woman from Australia who had used company who booked all her accommodations in advance (she used hotels; DNK if companies like that do hostels as well) and had her pack picked up every morning and brought to the next night's lodging, so all she needed to carry was a day pack and the company's directions to the next stop.

Using a service like that takes away from the spontaneity and flexibility, and perhaps the hostel experience, BUT - it's your holiday too, and this would take some of the load off you. I think an Irish company called Camino Ways does this; DNK if that's the one this person used. That would also answer your budget question; you'd know / have paid in advance for all your lodging.

Bom caminho!

Dear people,

I've started planning my first trip on the Camino Portugues (mid-April 2017, 10-11 days max, coastal route) and I've only just mapped out the route, thanks to suggestions I found on this site. My main questions are: how to look for accommodation (in advance or on the spot?), how to budget the trip, and what weather to expect on the way. I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

I'll be walking the Camino with my mum and a bunch of her friends, and I know that they'll expect me to handle the logistics. A daunting task!

Best regards,
Bija

are you planning on staying at public/private albergues or hotels/en suite bathrooms? - your daily budget is basically set by this

weather - it should rain some, sunny too, mornings can still be chilly but nothing freezing or snow. northern portugal and galicia are having a fairly remarkable drought and almost no rain has been seen all winter - that could change.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wouldn't think mid-April would be a problem normally, but define "a bunch" - needing accommodation for a lot of people could be more challenging. Also, how old and how fit? Any problems w/ making the normal stages? When I was walking it last fall, one day I hiked with a delightful older woman from Australia who had used company who booked all her accommodations in advance (she used hotels; DNK if companies like that do hostels as well) and had her pack picked up every morning and brought to the next night's lodging, so all she needed to carry was a day pack and the company's directions to the next stop.

Using a service like that takes away from the spontaneity and flexibility, and perhaps the hostel experience, BUT - it's your holiday too, and this would take some of the load off you. I think an Irish company called Camino Ways does this; DNK if that's the one this person used. That would also answer your budget question; you'd know / have paid in advance for all your lodging.

Bom caminho!

Bom caminho!

Thank you for the tips, KariC! The 'bunch of friends' has been whittled down to my mum + a friend of hers, so this should be manageable. While I don't want to make the experience less spontaneous, I've a) only got a fixed number of days and b) I want to make sure that mum and her friend won't sleep under the stars.

Best regards, Bija

are you planning on staying at public/private albergues or hotels/en suite bathrooms? - your daily budget is basically set by this

weather - it should rain some, sunny too, mornings can still be chilly but nothing freezing or snow. northern portugal and galicia are having a fairly remarkable drought and almost no rain has been seen all winter - that could change.

Hi JefferyontheCamino,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! I'm planning on going for both public and private albergues, depending on how close one or the other is to the places along my route.

I read on this forum that people tend to get up as early as 0430 am and this got me thinking about shifting the trip to mid-May, when mornings will be warmer and days will be longer.

Best regards,
Bija

Hi JefferyontheCamino,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! I'm planning on going for both public and private albergues, depending on how close one or the other is to the places along my route.

I read on this forum that people tend to get up as early as 0430 am and this got me thinking about shifting the trip to mid-May, when mornings will be warmer and days will be longer.

Best regards,
Bija

then 15-20 euros (some cheaper) per person/day for accommodation. it may be worth it to splurge and in the larger towns get a twin with en suite bathrooms for a tad more. on the portuguese camino and in april you should not have to book in advance, though i would even if the day before - everyone has a website nowadays.

4:30 is only for the diehards that do the Camino in the summer, walk 40 kms and are on the stretch called the Meseta in Spain. there is no reason you should be walking before dawn on the portuguese camino in spring - in my opinion at least. mid-may is also nice, but days will only be about an hour longer (if).

good luck and Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back