• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New website for walking routes in Italy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is wonderful. To be helpful, I searched for the official listing of the 11 criteria a route must comply with to be formally designated a pilgrimage route.

Here they are: (editorial comments are below each line in parentheses)

The 11 Criteria for Formal Designation as a Camino Route in Italy

1. Linear and usable physical paths

2. Horizontal and / or vertical signage for each stage
(well marked)

3. Safely path
(safe, easy to walk path - unknown if this means just graded, gravel, sand, or paving)

4. Asphalt roads not exceeding 40%

5. Stages with all walker support services
(presence of cafes, hostals, hostels, albergues, etc.? - see #7)

6. Online description on reference site of each stage

7. Housing and catering services within 5 km of the Path
(sorry, but I do not go 5 Km off route for lodging...nice try though)

8. Presence of a 'governance organ' of the Way
(someone will be in charge)

9. Ensure supervision and maintenance of the route
(no ditch pugs required ?)

10. Geo-referencing of the route
(GPS plot available ?)

11. Reference site constantly updated

Would that this actually worked the way it is listed. There is also a list of the other routes that applied but did not qualify, as they failed to meet all 11 criteria. Those routes are listed as well.

Source: http://www.turismo.beniculturali.it/en/home-cammini-ditalia/atlas-of-paths/

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Camino horizons have opened up yet again. Muchas gracias.

Anyone have any experience with walking the Saint Anthony Way which starts NE of Venice and tracks south down thru Bologna and ends just east of Florence?

Here is the direct link. It was in my post above and still works.

http://www.turismo.beniculturali.it/en/home-cammini-ditalia/atlas-of-paths/

Also, you can go here:

http://www.turismo.beniculturali.it/en/home-cammini-ditalia/

For a description of the various paths now recognized.

This page comes up in English on my Macbook, using the Chrome browser. From this page, you can navigate all over this organization's web site. There are additional links at the very bottom of the page.

I hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
wow! really nicely done. I hope they maintain and update it.

Anyone have any experience with walking the Saint Anthony Way which starts NE of Venice and tracks south down thru Bologna and ends just east of Florence?

a slovenian pilgrim I know has walked it this year. she said it was phisically fairly challenging, naturally beautiful, historically abundant, and the albergues (mostly one per stage) sometimes basic but always special. she wrote a blog in slovenian on facebook but I don't know how to post it here without being logged in.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.