• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New, well done video about the Camino Frances

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think it really deserves the headline here. Much more of a curate's egg than a consistently shot and edited piece. There just seemed to be error after error in the narration at the start, but if you can get past these, you will probably enjoy the experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sure that lots of people will like it and you should check it out. The narrator's monotone voice got to me after a while and I had to stop watching. He sounded like one of the narrators you hear when you rent recorders in museums. This is probably more of a criticism of me than of the video. That describe each artifact, painting etc. It does have alot of history intertwined with interviews of varying interest that do sound very familiar to other videos I have seen that have interviewed pilgrims along the way. There are many nice shots of the camino and for Camino video junkies I am sure you will like it and it will be well worth it.
If I may recommend a video called Looking For Infinity. It is far from perfect but it did strike a real cord with me.

(If you watch make sure you go to settings and turn on the subtitles. I know they have it in English. I am not sure if it is subtitled in other languages. There are interviews with people speaking different languages.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am sure that lots of people will like it and you should check it out. The narrator's monotone voice got to me after a while and I had to stop watching. He sounded like one of the narrators you hear when you rent recorders in museums. This is probably more of a criticism of me than of the video. That describe each artifact, painting etc. It does have alot of history intertwined with interviews of varying interest that do sound very familiar to other videos I have seen that have interviewed pilgrims along the way. There are many nice shots of the camino and for Camino video junkies I am sure you will like it and it will be well worth it.
If I may recommend a video called Looking For Infinity. It is far from perfect but it did strike a real cord with me.

(If you watch make sure you go to settings and turn on the subtitles. I know they have it in English. I am not sure if it is subtitled in other languages. There are interviews with people speaking different languages.
If I may, I think that it is very unkind to make such a harsh criticism here. The original poster cannot help his voice and I believe that to overlook is much kinder than to criticise in such a manner. Just my thoughts here, so please don't jump down my neck.

If I may, I think that it is very unkind to make such a harsh criticism here. The original poster cannot help his voice and I believe that to overlook is much kinder than to criticise in such a manner. Just my thoughts here, so please don't jump down my neck.
I was not trying to be mean I just said what I thought. After writing that I wrote “This is probably more of a criticism of me than of the video”. I also said I think people will enjoy it. So i am not jumping down your throat I just don’t get your criticism.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This may well be your view, but once a work like this has been published, review and criticism of the cinematography, photography, film and sound editing, script and even the execution of the voiceover are all entirely legitimate.

As an aside, I don't think that the video was published by the OP here. The credits indicate that it was A Luc Pilgrim Production, and largely the work of Phillip Lucas. This is the latest of a perhaps half a dozen videos on his YouTube channel.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for sharing this. I got distressed about half way through though, and will need to take a break. This time I enabled the sub-titling. Truely dreadful, I am sorry to say.

I am now curious to see if this video actually achieves the noble objectives it claimed at the outset - it is now the only reason to keep watching.

Sorry found this video and the other, Looking for Infinity, as depressing. Too much dwelling in personal depressing motivation, almost no joy in the experience. Both best watched with the sound off, except for the fact of too much time with face close ups and not enough scenery.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dougfitz wrote: "There just seemed to be error after error in the narration at the start," Apart from the pronunciation of Roncesvalles and calling Puente la Reina "Puente de la Reina" I didn't notice any errors. Can you give a couple of examples?

Dougfitz wrote: "There just seemed to be error after error in the narration at the start," Apart from the pronunciation of Roncesvalles and calling Puente la Reina "Puente de la Reina" I didn't notice any errors. Can you give a couple of examples?
I'm not inclined to revisit this to give you exact details - I found it dreadful enough once. Other than the tedious introduction full of sanctimonious rubbish, two that stand out are that the claim that the majority of pilgrims follow the CF from SJPP, and the certainty about who commissioned the bridge at Puenta la Reina.

If I recall it correctly the narration pitches the Camino as having origins in pre-Roman times. The existance of pre-Roman routes to the coast doesn't seem to have sound historical or archeological provenance, and in any case is very unlikely to have been the foundation for or origin of the Christian pilgrimage to Santiago that emerged in the middle ages. I think it is rubbish history. It is one thing to observe they might have followed similar routes across the Iberian peninsula, quite another to suggest that this creates some greater linkage.

The narration lays out four or five 'objectives' in a preamble. I don't think this or the second part achieve all of these. That might be disappointing if you looked to this pair to assist you in your preparation.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thank you for that video! English is not my native language, so I am one of those, who are thankful for the calm and clear narration. I also appreciated the approach: let the pilgrims speak and give more background detail than the average touristic video. The video made me want to revisit some of the places.

As a lover of nature, I have only one plea for the author. Please reconsider the end of the video. Burning shoes and clothes is leaving indelible marks on the rocks and is certainly not allowed. I prefer the approach taught to the Scouts: a good Scout only leaves a heartfelt "Thank you!".

Last edited:
I enjoyed both videos. Kind of disappointed the Iron Cross/Cruz de Ferro was not covered but I guess one cannot show every highlight. As with others I found the voice a bit off putting but a small “nit” considering the wonderful photography, insightful interviews and unforgettable memories it brought back to me. Thanks for sharing!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Okay, so I get the objections to the videos. (And this from someone who, admittedly, has as much culture as a tub of discount yoghurt.;))

However.... I imagine that many of the Forum members are hungry for the Camino.

And, we have seen many displays here in the Forum that a lot of members are pretty savvy in the kitchen and capable of turning out better table fare than the typical menus on the Camino. And, yet, we ate that food with gratitude...and perhaps even a sense of magic about the experience.

Because..."Hunger is the best sauce."

Should one be "hungry for the Camino", these vids may serve as a nice snack.

YMMV,

B

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back