• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New York Times article on Hape Kerkeling

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
He walked over the Pyrenees and realized he is tougher that he thought, yet at the end recommends against the crossing. Nonono, look how empowering that crossing was. Like mine.... totally broken down, spent, reborn, empowered. I was very glad to have done that challenge.
A new,
Lillian

peregrina2000 said:
From what I've heard, this guy is responsible for a big spike in the numbers of German walkers.
It is quite right that the popularity of the book has sent a large number of Germans racing for the Camino as a 'must do' experience. An Italian celebrity wrote a similar book recently and that has contributed to greater numbers of Italians on the Camino. I should imagine that the translation into English of another popular book on the Camino will generate another rush from the USA (perhaps also from the UK). These books promote a sense of spiritual quest, that's for sure. Hopefully, some of those who are motivated to follow the authors and set out on the road will connect with the deeper riches of the Christian pilgrimage, rather than simply see the journey as a way of 'finding their inner self' or whatever!

Gareth

"Communicate with your inner self: swallow a cellphone."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, this article is great! And it is true - every single German pilgrim I met on the camino read Hape Kerkelings book...

I just returned and it's true.... the Germans have invaded Spain (someone should tell Spain!). I would say that the vast majority of Germans I met on the Camino were out for a cheap holiday, not a spiritual journey. Sadly, many of them chose to stick together and not socialize with other pilgrims.

I found the wide mix of nationalities to be one of the most exciting, rewarding aspects of the Camino. I would encourage anyone deciding to do this (for whatever reason) to reach out to everyone they meet on the way. The peregrino community is wonderful! The experience will be most rewarding!

bbcgrrrl said:
Sadly, many of them chose to stick together and not socialize with other pilgrims.

Yeah, I remember a woman at an albergue commenting about their reticence ("look how they sit so stiff and quiet!" she said). But once you got past their reserve they were good to go - especially after they nailed a couple of Beck's beers apiece (hehe). I met and walked for awhile with a couple of germans of varying ages (a mother/daughter team, a psychologist, and a young pre-med student). Nice folks.

I did have one negative encounter w/a German, but she was under a lot of stress, and anyone could be a jerk under those circumstances...:arrow:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I may have been lucky with my Germans in 2007-- I ran into 2 blonde cheerful Bavarian publishers with excellent Spanish, a doctor from Cologne with his 14-yr old daughter, reunited after 13 years, a criminologist trying to write humourous songs about her blisters, a Saxon hospice worker carrying a small jewel for each of the dying patients with whom she had worked, and five retired businessmen who had done their military service a half century ago and were giving thanks for fifty years of friendship. Even the French I met in 2007 were most agreeable-- I remember clearly a young couple from Tours-- she suffered terribly from blisters and her partner was carrying her pack as well as his own, singing songs and telling jokes to cheer her up.

I recently completed the Camino and I was suprised by the general level of negativity expressed towards German pilgrims. There was a lot of stereotyping going on and on a couple of occaisions it bordered on hostility directed at individuals. I did feel that I met what amounts to the population of a medium sized German city, but it was never bad and often it was really good.

The Camino is very popular in Germany and I am sure that this is partly a consequence of the success of Kerkerling's book.

I've spent most of my life in Liverpool and normally people make the connection between Liverpool and either the Beatles or football. Hape Kerkerling befriends a woman called Anne from Liverpool, who is a biologist and wears 'Harry Potter type glasses'. So I was asked on numerous occaisions if I knew Anne. It is strange that there should be a woman from liverpool who in Germany is more famous than Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalgleish and Ken Dodd. She is also quite possibly more famous than John, Paul, George and Ringo. And she may not even know it.

Even if it the reasons for walking the Camino (ie popular book) look superficial, the Camino will do it's work

Try not to be too judgmental (not always so easy)
Any reason to convene with your spirit is a good reason

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back