• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New York Times article

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I read the book this week. Interesting and occasionally quite challenging. Not a simple travelogue: many diversions into church history and theological issues. Egan also steps off the Via Francigena to visit Geneva and Florence and tells something of their religious history too.

And a podcast interview with Timothy Egan talking about the motivation for his journey on a local radio station in California:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am forever indebted to Timothy Egan, who lives in Seattle, for one of his early books, "The Good Rain." After reading it my wife, who is not a hiker or backpacker, said "Let's backpack The Enchanted Valley" (in Olympic National Park). So I organized a week to walk with our preteen kids. It was a great family experience. I suspect that many who read his newest book will be inspired to walk the Via Francigena or some part of it. Egan is a compelling and gifted writer as perhaps you can see from his brief NYT article.

I read the book this week. Interesting and occasionally quite challenging. Not a simple travelogue: many diversions into church history and theological issues. Egan also steps off the Via Francigena to visit Geneva and Florence and tells something of their religious history too.
I received the book, in print form, today. A susbtantial work! I will have to defer reading it until coming back from walking Invierno...... But I am looking forward to it.

I read the book this week. Interesting and occasionally quite challenging. Not a simple travelogue:
Indeed, I think books with “Pilgrimage” in the title s/b a special sub-genre of Travelogue as they cover both physical and emotional territory.
I’m not finished yet but I took umbrage with his remarks about CtD pilgrims in Reims France where he says
“...they exude a sense of superiority. When I explain to a sunbaked Scandinavian that I’m taking the camino less traveled, he gives me a dismissive eye roll, as if I’m on an inferior road to revelation.”

Gosh, are we really that...tribal?
Egan has a lot of axes to grind in this book so perhaps his indignation here is just mis-directed frustration or maybe it’s trail fatigue. Whatever, I’ll read on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gosh, are we really that...tribal?
Sadly the answer is sometimes "yes". After finishing the Camino Primitivo I met a young man in Santiago who had just walked from SJPDP. On hearing I had walked from Oviedo he asked if I had any plans to walk "the real Camino" sometime..... :rolleyes::mad:

I suspect I am being dense ;) but just tell me what CtD is please?
I typed it and I have no idea. I probably meant CdS [Camino de Santiago]. Alas, the path of intention from brain to fingers is a slow and meandering amble.

“...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

-jgp
{8^)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am kind of wrestling with this book... And I'm trying to keep this post short.

After 200+ pages the author finally meets a collection of fellow hikers (maybe cyclists, also) with whom he enjoys a nice evening. In earlier pages almost nothing about interactions with other walkers/pilgrims except the nearly dismissive and snarky mention of those he met in Reims (this part of @jgpryde's post). His experience in this regard is so very different from mine, where the intereactions with others has really been the thing I have enjoyed most about hiking the Camino routes.

I personally left Catholicism about 55 years ago and have never looked back. But in this book Egan, a lapsed Catholic of some years, seems to be drawn back to it (Catholicism) again and again as he transits the VF and dives deeply into the historic abuses foisted upon non-Catholic peoples by the union of the church hierarchy and royal heads of city states or geographic entities.

The author has now crossed into Italy where he has some language ability and his outlook seems to have become sunnier. I look forward to seeing where his journey of the mind takes him. And me.

PM me if you'd like to comment.

I am kind of wrestling with this book... And I'm trying to keep this post short.

After 200+ pages the author finally meets a collection of fellow hikers (maybe cyclists, also) with whom he enjoys a nice evening. In earlier pages almost nothing about interactions with other walkers/pilgrims except the nearly dismissive and snarky mention of those he met in Reims (this part of @jgpryde's post). His experience in this regard is so very different from mine, where the intereactions with others has really been the thing I have enjoyed most about hiking the Camino routes.

I personally left Catholicism about 55 years ago and have never looked back. But in this book Egan, a lapsed Catholic of some years, seems to be drawn back to it (Catholicism) again and again as he transits the VF and dives deeply into the historic abuses foisted upon non-Catholic peoples by the union of the church hierarchy and royal heads of city states or geographic entities.

The author has now crossed into Italy where he has some language ability and his outlook seems to have become sunnier. I look forward to seeing where his journey of the mind takes him. And me.

PM me if you'd like to comment.
I ordered this, and it would be great to chat about it once I get it!

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back