• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Zealand friends of the Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 59555
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59555

Hi Terry here I am walking the camino in August this year.I am 68 and live in the Manawatu.
If you talk to ten people in New Zealand about the Camino four of them will know some one that has just been or is going to walk the Camino.
Lets organise a friends of the Camino in New Zealand for support.
I do not have the money or contacts for this that will have to come from somewhere.
But I have the passion.
What do you Kiwi,s think lets have some feed back.
God bless.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Terry...
How are you thinking of doing this? As an online connection thing (like a WhatsApp group) or a "let's meetup in person" type thing?
I only ask as I'm a Kiwi currently living in Italy. I'm intending to do the CF starting in July.
Christine

What would your purpose be?

@gittiharre lives around the corner from me. Literally.
I have helped numerous kiwis fly camino-wards.
I don't know if I'd join another formal group though - I only just manage to sneak in here for a few moments each day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Terry...
How are you thinking of doing this? As an online connection thing (like a WhatsApp group) or a "let's meetup in person" type thing?
I only ask as I'm a Kiwi currently living in Italy. I'm intending to do the CF starting in July.
Christine
Thank you Christine for your reply I think my main motivation is the people that I have talked to that have don it and would love to help others and relive their own stories it may be as simple as a face book page but definitely online as well as in person.
Thanks again for you input. Beun Camino.

I don't know if I'd join another formal group though - I only just manage to sneak in here for a few moments each day.
Hi Kiwi yes I agree with you about the amount of groups and it can take some time.
I still think there are a lot of Kiwi,s out there that would love to talk in person to some one that has done it or relate there own experiences.
Thank you for your reply.

Once you get this up and running, please send me a link and I will add it to my thread at the beginning of this section of the forum.

Ngahau! (I hope that means "have fun"!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once you get this up and running, please send me a link and I will add it to my thread at the beginning of this section of the forum.

Ngahau! (I hope that means "have fun"!)
Thank you Kanga.

As someone who set up a local group, I would suggest that you start small, perhaps with a coffee gathering. Or perhaps do a film viewing. Setting up a FB page is easy and inexpensive. From there you will find volunteers to build further, perhaps with a Camino training and information session. And as Kanga says, have fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@oursonpolaire do you have a website you would like to post?

I didn't set up a local website, but I did get the FB page for the Canadian Company of Pilgrims started. Since then, others have taken over and it has been much improved. While disliking the facebook phenomenon, I cannot get away from the fact that it was easy, cheap, and had an incredible spread.

Whoops, sorry @oursonpolaire I did not read your Canadian connection! So I won't add you to the Australian and New Zealand section.

Hi
I would love to get together with fellow pilgrims or intending pilgrims. I live in Otaki so would come to a gathering in Manawatu. I'm soon to start my 4th Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Say guys, it took me awhile but I've found a very significant place for Kiwis to hold a Camino meetup. Go to Arthur's Pass National Park on the South Island and either hike up to the lodge at the Temple Mount skifield or take the cable lift.

Here is an aerial photo of the place:

But this aerial photo is labelled (for a reason). Look at it before visiting the next link.

And why is this such a good spot for a meetup? Look at this link and see if you can figure it out. It is an interactive link like the ones before.

Another clue:

A couple of other links that may be of interest to you:

Interactive topographical map of Arthur's Pass area:

Arthur's Pass day walks

Discover Arthur's Pass brochure (PDF, 3,776K)

see if you can figure it out

Rick, are you trying to tell me about antipodes.

My antipodes is halfway between the airport at Valladolid and Leon Cathedral.

And my daughter and her husband are offering a performance of Tahi80 this August in their antipodes or geographical opposite of the town of San Martin de Valdeiglesias, 70 kilometres west of Madrid in Spain. Tahi is Te Reo for the numeral 1. When added to 80 the result is 180 or another way of suggesting antipodes.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...ces-and-spain-beckon-creative-manawatu-couple

The antipodes you have selected to show is the runway of Aeroporto de Santiago de Compostella (SdC).

Regrettably the southern locations do not reflect the ease of the pilgrimage to SdC. One needs carry everything, food, cooking stuff and shelter. But the scenery is wonderful.

For those who cannot cope with that an equally wonderful alternative is the Tranz Alpine train between Christchurch and Greymouth. For those tempted I suggest booking Christchurch - Moana - Christchurch. Moana is a halt about 50 minutes before Greymouth. Coupled with the 40 minute turnaround at Greymouth there is more than adequate time for a leisurely lunch at the cafe overlooking the station. All the interesting scenery and stuff is before Moana.

@Terry W , hi and welcome

A nice idea. To my mind, the issue is how to make it effective. I suspect, in many ways, we are a bit like a gaggle (?) of economists: if 12 are put into a room charged with solving the world's economic woes they will come up with many many descriptions of what those woes are and many more solutions.

We are a pretty diverse dispersal of devotees and we are, I am sure, spread out along the length of the long white cloud.

While (eventual) arrival at Santiago de Compostela is a primary goal we have in common, we start from different places, take different routes and, again I am sure, we have as many views on clothing, footwear and packs as there are brands and models and sizes.

I personally have found much support and information from the wide gaggle that use Ivan's website and not sure how a local "chapter" would add to that.

Kia kaha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For those who cannot cope with that an equally wonderful alternative is the Tranz Alpine train between Christchurch and Greymouth. For those tempted I suggest booking Christchurch - Moana - Christchurch. Moana is a halt about 50 minutes before Greymouth. Coupled with the 40 minute turnaround at Greymouth there is more than adequate time for a leisurely lunch at the cafe overlooking the station. All the interesting scenery and stuff is before Moana.
Except that three of the bridges were burned in a fire this summer so it is currently not running!

The first time I walked the Camino in 2010 I did not know of any such groups in Australia. On my return I found one in Sydney (through this Forum). Now there are groups in Brisbane/Gold Coast, Sydney, Blue Mountains, Melbourne (2), Adelaide and Perth, and I am considering starting one for the Central Coast (north of Sydney). Start publicity with a Facebook page, use local community newspaper notices (often free), notify bush walk clubs, and certainly this forum.
Have an idea of how a group should operate initially, such as meet for coffee, or a dinner. Once you have started, the format can be changed or refined. We have just finished an Auscamino gathering in the Blue Mountains where all things related to the Camino were shown or talked about over four days, including Photography, Hospitalero Training, First Aid, Packing etc. This after only two years after the group was formed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Terry here I am walking the camino in August this year.I am 68 and live in the Manawatu.
If you talk to ten people in New Zealand about the Camino four of them will know some one that has just been or is going to walk the Camino.
I do not have the money or contacts for this that will have to come from somewhere.
But I have the passion.
God bless.
Hi Terry, I am a kiwi, living in Whangarei. I walked the Camino France last Autumn (Sept-Oct) and loved it. Happy to be part of this group. Jules

But I have the passion.
God bless.
Hi Terry,
Bev here from Waikanae Beach.
In September we are planning to walk the Camino del Norte which is our 5th Camino. We are addicted and love chatting with others about the Camino. Good evangelists my hubby and I are. I am 73 years old and these days opt for slightly better accommodation if I can. We seem to have our own bunch of Camino friends but would probably join a group if someone else did the organising.
Blessings,
Bev

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But I have the passion.
God bless.

I'm living in RAUMATI south, Kapiti and starting from sjpdp 23 September. It would be good to connect with kiwis. Walking solo. Last time was 10 years ago with my daughter.

Rick, hi and thanks for the promo and knowing that we are the antipodes of many places in western Spain.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit here (again) in the future.
My antipode story is that when I got out of the service I travelled to NZ, an eight year old dream. My first night away from home in NY city I roomed with a fellow from Perth. I did a bit of figuring and relealized that Perth was almost as far from home as I could get (actually it was Cape Leeuwin, which I got to, but that was still 600 miles from the antipode.) Years later I saw an antipode map and swa the Spain/NZ overlap. I got the coordinates of Mt. Eden in Auckland which I had gotten to the top of (I stayed a few weeks at its base) and found that I needed to go to a spot near Ronda. A few years after marrying Peg we went to Spain on her first overseas trip and she drove as I navigated to Mt Eden's antipode, a harvested sunflower field. A few months ago I finally was in NZ again and despite the long flight and jet lag I marched Peg to the top of Mt. Eden hours after landing. So she is an antipodian now too (and a NZ lover.)

We lucked into getting spots as independent hikers to walk the Milford Track when I logged into the DOC site to see when sign-ups were allowed. They started just 40 minutes earlier and I was seeing days filling up already. Previously, back in the days when there was no way to sign-up and no need to I hiked the Routeburn and also overlapped a stretch of that Great Walk down on Stewart Island. I didn't get to the skifield in Arthur's Pass that is the antipode to that stetch of the camino but I did get close with the Bealy Glacier.

I spent five months in NZ the first time in 1977 and three weeks in 2016. It would be fantastic to get to visit again. BTW, Z is Zee to me except when it is preceeded by an N when it becomes a Zed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Terry,
Bev here from Waikanae Beach.
In September we are planning to walk the Camino del Norte which is our 5th Camino. We are addicted and love chatting with others about the Camino. Good evangelists my hubby and I are. I am 73 years old and these days opt for slightly better accommodation if I can. We seem to have our own bunch of Camino friends but would probably join a group if someone else did the organising.
Blessings,
Bev
Hi Bev I'm in Otaki
I'm about to start my 4 th Camino in May Love to catch up with you
Gwen

Hi Terry
Live in Rotorua my friend & I walk the Camino del Norte & Camino Ingles in 2014 and are planning to walk the Camino Franco in 2019
I would enjoy being part of a NZ group

I'm living in RAUMATI south, Kapiti and starting from sjpdp 23 September. It would be good to connect with kiwis. Walking solo. Last time was 10 years ago with my daughter.
Hi Kinnear if you or any one reading this post wants to talk camino feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my telephone number. God bless.

Edited by a Moderator for the safety of the poster - the forum is trawled by automatic "bots" and we don't want our members having their telephone number and other private details being made public.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For what it's worth, we live in Upper Hutt and begin walking CP in Lisboa on May 3rd.
We know a few folk around here who have walked a Camino, and would be interested in swapping stories over a coffee at some point.
Sounds to me like there is a reasonable chance of forming a Lower NI collective of Camino Addicts...

You might want to remove the phone number and tell people you'll PM it to them if they ask - if you don't, it'll be removed for you;-)

You might want to remove the phone number and tell people you'll PM it to them if they ask - if you don't, it'll be removed for you;-)
I find that post a little confrontational. I cant see what the problem was but I have removed it. I think I will just let someone else get a New Zealand group up and running. But nobody has so far.
Kind regards.
Is god bless OK.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having spent the night thinking about this post I am going to add more.
You people are not to know but I suffer from depression and anxiety and I am being held together by a new found FAITH in myself and some one else ???.
But I cant cope with such negative comments.
I have searched the rules up and down and inside out and now where does it mention phone numbers but what I did see is the divisions caused between members caused by the rules. To me this has destroyed the the wonderful feeling of support .
So I have decided not to use this site anymore as there are others to use.
Thank you to all those that supported me in the past.
Having read the rules even God bless is marginal WOW.
GOD BLESS you all
All the best Terry.

Having spent the night thinking about this post I am going to add more.
You people are not to know but I suffer from depression and anxiety and I am being held together by a new found FAITH in myself and some one else ???.
But I cant cope with such negative comments.
I have searched the rules up and down and inside out and now where does it mention phone numbers but what I did see is the divisions caused between members caused by the rules. To me this has destroyed the the wonderful feeling of support .
So I have decided not to use this site anymore as there are others to use.
Thank you to all those that supported me in the past.
Having read the rules even God bless is marginal WOW.
GOD BLESS you all
All the best Terry.

Terry, hoping you read this. The phone number thing is nothing to do with rules or negativity - it's just that this is a public website and anyone can read it, not just members. It's generally not a good idea to post personal phone numbers or email addresses, for your own security. Usually if someone does do on the forum one of the forum moderators who look after us all will remove it with a gentle reminder that personal details can be more safely shared via PM (personal message, or "conversion" in forum lingo). That's all @Kiwi-family meant.

Please stay and enjoy the valuable information and support this forum can offer.

Terry
I'm so sorry that my message has caused offense. Once I posted my number and things played out exactly as @GettingThere said. Probably it would have been better for me to leave it to the Mods even though it seems they have a huge job. Certainly it would have been beneficial for me to choose less confrontational wording - especially as my intent was more of a whisper in your ear than bite your head off. I am truly sorry that my response has caused such ill feeling and I would ask you to reconsider staying part of the forum - if anything, block me so you don't see my posts, but remain connected with the many who have supported you so well. I would appreciate the opportunity to make restitution and try again, but understand the damage I have (albeit unintentionally) already caused may be too great to overlook.
Sincerest apologies.

€46,-
Hi all.. I am a little late to this discussion, but just wanted to say that we have a local Camino group in Hamilton NZ that has been meeting annually for many years. Last year I created a Facebook page for it that currently has 37 members. It hasn't seen a lot of action but if you are interested, you are very welcome to become an honorary Hamiltonian (we do have a few from other NZ cities) and join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamiltonCamino/
Kay

...I think I will just let someone else get a New Zealand group up and running. ....

Don't give up just yet, Terry. You're doing a fine job getting a group started. A number of kiwiperegrinos live close by you in Wellington and the Manawhatu . I'm sure a few would turn up for food and a Camino chat. I certainly would if I were in the country.

Cheers
from another kiwi

Last edited:
Hi all, just wondering if anybody was still thinking of starting a New Zealand friends of the Camino group? If so, I’d love to be part of it. I’m in Wairarapa, and would love the opportunity to meet up with others with an interest in the Camino locally, in Wellington or possibly Manawatu. Wouldn’t have the foggiest idea about how to start up such a group, but if somebody does, I’m happy to offer whatever assistance I can. Thanks, and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I'm from Wellington. I leave in 2 days to do the Camino Norte (1st half) and then the Camino Primitivo. You can follow me at www.ronscaminonorte.com It will be my 4th camino. I would love to meet people over a cup of coffee sometime. Regards

Ron

Have a great time in Spain, and buen camino. Let me know when you’re back and maybe we can catch up for a coffee in Wellington when you get back - I’d love to hear about your camino.

Look forward to following you on your winter Camino,Ron.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi from Central Otago, New Zealand. :) I'm hoping to do the Camino Frances in 2019. There seems to be a shortage of Kiwis on websites who have advice for pure novices like me. I live in Alexandra and don't even know how to get to France yet! Well..... fly to Bordeaux etc but all by myself will be very scary!! Marianne

@Mazzy , welcome to the forum

Getting to a start point.

As Singapore fly out of Christcurch I had a quicj look at their time table for a departure in April 2019 and return in June, by way of example. My first choice said nearly NZD 3 000 return. But using the "five day" feature I could see a number just under $ 2 000. Of course if you go to Auckland you will have more selection. Beware, some airlines (Thai, for example) do not include airport and other levies.

Why Bareclona?

It is an interesting place in its own right (the fascinating church Sagarada Familia - Holy Family - by the eclectic architect Anton Gaudi, for example - as well as two of his houses).

And from Barcelona you can take a train to Logrono or Pamplona and a bus from there to your start - either Roncesvalles or Saint-Jean over the border in France.

Preparation - body and mind

You have an excellent model in the Central Rail Trail. with one draw back - it is relatively flat along its length.

I started my preparation in February 2012 and started in France (Le Puy-en-Velay) in April 2016. My first training walk (5 km down hill) was a personal disaster. But after a while I had lengthened my training walks to between 20 and 40 km. And I had some hills to go up and down as well.

For the past year my regime consists of:
1) achieving 15 km before stopping for breakfast
2) achieving an elevation gain of 600 metre before stopping ...

The purpose for me is to get mind and body fit for the day after day pattern of:
arrive at your accomodation, wash clothes if required, buy some lunch food, have a meal, consider the next days journey, chat to other walkers, sleep, rise (early), walk, have breakfast, walk, have lunch, walk, arrive, repeat.

The rise early part is to get most of your journey done before the heat of the day becomes unbearable. It is not, as some categorise it, a race for beds.

preparation - gear

I wont develop this except to say it is important. You level of fitness will tell you how much you can carry. Suffice to say walking in Spain is quite different to tramping in, say Mount Aspiring National Park (or my local Tararuas). Walking shoes (not boots), no tent, just lunch for the day rather all meals for a week, and so on.

That's enough from me to start with.

Do you have any specific questions at this time?

Marianne, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going eventually)

Great to hear from you Alwyn! I live in Alexandra, right on the Rail Trail which, as you say, is mostly flat, but I have found some great little hills around the area as well to use as training. I hadn't even thought to use Barcelona as a start point. Bit scary when you are a Europe 'virgin'! So these are the walking boots I currently have - do you think I should go for more of a shoe? https://www.trademe.co.nz/clothing-...38.htm?rsqid=7f89057a53e8491fb3d72f72abdd7467

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Barcelona: I havn't flown into Barcelona but I have travelled by train from Logrono to Barcelona and back when I need to take a break after four weeks walking. It is an interesting place in its own right.

Boots / shoes: The weight of what you have at 714 g for the pair looks good. I do not have any specific recommendation. Rather I say what works for you is best.

To find what works I suggest you just do many many many training walks with all your gear (pack etc).

What works for me is three layers. The first is an almost knee length pressure hose (with the toes cut off). Then a thin liner sock. Then an almost knee length hose. To accomodate all that, and to give me a wide toe box I usually go several sizes above my normal day wear shoe size. I love wading through streams I encounter on my training walks. So my shoes have a mesh top. This means my feet can breathe and do not overheat and water can evaporate easily. But that is me Your feet will likely be different.

I do not have the money or contacts for this that will have to come fromsomewhere.
But I have the passion.
God bless.

Kia ora Terri & other Kiwis!
I would love to have an update to find out if we now have a group going in NZ.
I read about the meeting in Hamilton (I'm in Auckland but happy to attend) I have also heard a few camino followers are near by in Mangawhai.
Thanks. Cheers
Marta

Hi Terry...
Christine
Hi Christine, it would be great to correspond regarding a future group walk. Not sure when it would occur though I am eager to learn more while we wait to see when it would be possible to travel once again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Christine, it would be great to correspond regarding a future group walk. Not sure when it would occur though I am eager to learn more while we wait to see when it would be possible to travel once again.
Hi @LifeatNo.22
I thought I’d bring to your attention (in the event you don’t get a response from Christine ) that her post was from feb 2017 and she was last seen on this forum in August 2017

Wishing you success in connecting with like-minded kiwis to discuss the Camino and plans to prepare.
Buen Camino

Hi @LifeatNo.22
I thought I’d bring to your attention (in the event you don’t get a response from Christine ) that her post was from feb 2017 and she was last seen on this forum in August 2017

Wishing you success in connecting with like-minded kiwis to discuss the Camino and plans to prepare.
Buen Camino
Hi OzAnnie; I have just seen your reply. I am a bit late on all accounts and have become interested again, and hopefully, I see myself doing the Camino when the time is right. In the meantime, I am enjoying learning by reading the posts here.

Suzanne
Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.