• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie arriving in SJPdP on 2nd Nov - last minute questions

MsBeckyO

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 2nd November 2018
Hi, I just wanted to say I've been reading this forum for a while and to say thank you because most of my questions have all been answered here previously.

So, this is a real last minute trip for me. I only made the decision and booked 4 days ago so I am organising at rapid speed :eek:

1. I arrive by train to SJPdP at around 1pm on 2nd November and I booked accommodation at Villa Harriet B&B so would be starting my walk on 3rd November. The thing I was considering though, is due to the fact I'm stopping at Valcarlos on the first day, does it seem possible to arrive by train at 1pm, pick up my passport and then head off to Valcarlos instead of staying the night at SJPdP? I saw sun goes down at 7.30pm but I just wanted to make sure I was safe and I wasn't adding any extra stress to myself.

2. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy trekking poles in Paris,? my googling isn't offering me anything valuable. I won't be checking any bags on the way over from Syd.

3. I will be getting a sim when I arrive in paris, but did anyone bother to get an actual phone plan while they were doing the camino, say a one or two month plan?

4. Packing clothes for evenings. Most of the packing lists I've seen are, I'm guessing, mainly for summer as they say flip flops (it feels weird to say that as an Aussie) and light skirt etc. But obviously this isn't for November. How much do you take for evenings while knowing you want to keep your pack weight down? Does it get really cold in the albergue?

Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Becky

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy trekking poles in Paris,? my googling isn't offering me anything valuable. I won't be checking any bags on the way over from Syd.
There are quite a few Decathlon stores in Paris, but you can wait until you get to St Jean and buy poles at La Boutique du Pélerin.

1. I arrive by train to SJPdP at around 1pm on 2nd November and I booked accommodation at Villa Harriet B&B so would be starting my walk on 3rd November. The thing I was considering though, is due to the fact I'm stopping at Valcarlos on the first day, does it seem possible to arrive by train at 1pm, pick up my passport and then head off to Valcarlos instead of staying the night at SJPdP? I saw sun goes down at 7.30pm but I just wanted to make sure I was safe and I wasn't adding any extra stress to myself.

4. Packing clothes for evenings. Most of the packing lists I've seen are, I'm guessing, mainly for summer as they say flip flops (it feels weird to say that as an Aussie) and light skirt etc. But obviously this isn't for November. How much do you take for evenings while knowing you want to keep your pack weight down? Does it get really cold in the albergue?
Good on you for going with your last minute plan. I do not think you will regret it. I wish you a Buen Camino. My comments below relate to items 1 and 4 in your list.

It is about 11-12 km to Valcarlos. Depending on your pace, that could be a few hours of walking. It is doable, but my advice is to give yourself a rest day in SJPDP and start fresh in the morning.

It can get cold at night. What I will be wearing for footwear when I walk in Feb/Mar are waterproof Birkenstock sandals. That way I can wear socks to keep warm without having to squish the socks up between my toes like I had to with the flip flops I brought last time. Plus, I will wear the sandals in the showers. You won’t need closed toe shoes in addition to your hiking shoes/boots. Frankly, the added weight makes this a no-go idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can pick up some poles in SJ at the shops on the hill on the way to the pilgrims office to pick up your credential and/or first sello and weather advice. It is 25km/15mi to Valcarlos (maybe 5 hours). I would say avoid the stress of trying to get there your first night. Wander SJ a bit and get a good night's sleep in the B&B away from snoring and lights and noise at 5:00. Beat the jet lag. Maybe walk all the way to Roncesvalles the next day.

Edit: Sorry about the distance error. I looked up Brierley's suggested stage 1 instead of our actually completed stage 1 to Valcarlos. That was logged by me as 11.7km/7.3mi or about a 2.5 to 3.5 hour walk. Nothing steep or bad on this section except for a very short and very steep climb just before the albergue in Valcarlos.

Last edited:
Wow, an amazing trip to take on at the last minute!! I hope you have an awesome time. In response to your questions:

Q1. Reaching Valcarlos is possible, though that depends very much on walking pace. Also, I tend to find in mountainous areas there is the potential for it to get darker earlier, as the sun dips behind mountains sooner (this obviously depends on ones position, but is worth considering). To avoid stress, I would suggest just spending the night in SJ and enjoy the afternoon over a couple of glasses of wine anticipating the fun adventure ahead of you.

Q2. Decathlon would be a place to get walking poles in Paris.

Q3. I didn't have a phone plan for the camino. There is fairly regular wifi in cafes etc along the way and that was suitable for my circumstances. I used an app called Maps.me that has maps you can download and use offline and for times I needed directions to an albergue it did the job.

Q4. I walked in May, so not as cold at November. For evenings I had a variety of layers: a thermal top, a t-shirt, a light weight long sleeve polyester shirt and a polar fleece. I wore shorts the whole time. On the coldest days I would say I was only just warm enough wearing all these. If I was walking in November I'd probably take a down jacket instead of the polar fleece, they are warm and light weight.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just got home from the Camino two days ago and I loved having leggings. I wore them after showering and most nights in bed. If the mornings get very chilly you could wear them under your walking pants. I took Teva sandals which I rarely wore in the shower but used at night. A friend walked in hers. Said friend was from Brazil and she purchased a SIM card from Orange in Madrid. She got a lot of data for a very reasonable price. You might have to wait until Pamplona to find an Orange or Vodaphone outlet. I, on the other hand, bought an expensive international plan before I left home in Canada. It didn’t have very much data and I ran out after 3 weeks so had to rely on wifi. SIM card for me next time! I also vote for staying the night in SJPDP. I think you will need the rest after your flights, train etc. Valcarlos would be an easy walk for your first day. Buen Camino!

I’m doing the Portuguese and bought a vodaphone SIM at the Lisbon airport. Recommend there was one with unlimited local calls 30min of overseas calls. Each SMS counts as 2 min. Cost €20 for 30 days and I used up all the data in four days. So it was a bad deal. The GPS. In my iPhone still worked as it doesn’t use data but nothing else. In Santarem i had better advice and bought a data card €15 for 15 days with unlimited data but no phone calls. Fantastic as I can do WhatsApp calls, email and everything except normal phone calls. Coming from Australia I was amused by the name of the card, KANGURU LIVE. But of course you need to have WhatsApp installed and you can make as many calls as you want. After 25 days you can recharge it or buy another. Of course most places will have wifi but this works anywhere. I’ve now walked about 500km and it’s worked all the way. Bon Camino☦️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My vote is for staying in SJPdP the first day. No need to be in a rush, and it is a nice little town to spend a day, wandering around and getting in the mood for the walk ahead. Whatever you do, Buen Camino !

I finished on Oct 8. It was cool to cold the last week of mornings, not light until 8ish and rain was starting to arrive.

My take on clothing:
Layers that you wear walking and then after your shower. We washed our clothes every night, so we always started the next day with clean clothes. After a week or so, I walked in the same pants everday and wore my skirt with or without leggings at night. I had 2 long sleeved and 2 short sleeved light weight merino wool shirts that I layered and alternated. After shower, I wore and then slept in the one I was going to wear the next day. I would recommend wool bras, smart wool or ice breaker is what I used. Fabulous. May not ever go back.

I brought one pair of trail walking shoes and my keen sandals to walk in, trading them out over the day. I also brought a very cheap light weight pair of flip flops, which I used alot. Don’t regret the extra weight of the Keens. I pitched other items in favor of them. Feet are by far the most important to take care of. Along that line I ended up tossing out my Darn Tough socks half way through as they were worn through in spots (they were also my training socks). It was a sad day as they do not sell Darn Tough in Spain. I know there are good socks available, just none I liked. So, bring an extra pair or two of the socks you love. This is important if you hand wash as well. Once the sun goes down, earlier now, the socks may not dry for the next day. I also wish I had brough 3 pairs of underwear instead of 2.

Trekking poles: buy them in SJPDP at the store near the pilgrim office. They will size them and sell you a very good tip (the big round one). They will also give you a lesson on how to use them. It is worth it. I had used poles for years and never really knew how to use them effectively. I credit the poles with making my trip injury free and the decents into Roncevalles, Zubiri, after Cruz de Fero and OCebriero so much fun, yes I mean that. So many people fell or developed foot problems that I believe would have been avoided by the proper and continuous use of poles. On that note, if you do use them, plan on replacing the tips. I went through 4 sets, so it is worth buying the big fat ones. They last longer.

Cell plan: I bought an Orange card in Madrid. Lots of data but it expires in 30 days and you will need to replenish at an Orange store. Call minites are easily replenished. Most Supermercados and Tabacs will add monwy to the card. What I found hard, not speaking Spanish, was renewing the data. I needed an Orange store. If you are booking ahead, you can use email or one of the booking sites. If you call, you will need minutes or can ask the person at you accomodation to call for you. They may also know who is still open in November.

Finally, items I brought that I found indispensible even though they might not be used daily:

Map book. Digital maps are good, paper is great.

Umbrella. Sun or rain. It was the easiest to deploy and put away. We were the envy of the trail in both cases. I never pulled out my rain skirt.

10’ charging cord for my phone, which was the only electronics I brought.

Head lamp. You might not plan on getting up in the dark and walking, but on the Meseta, you may want to. It is cooler and the early morning sky is amazing, watch for potholes. It is worth having the flexibility.

Sleep mask, wax earplugs (found in Farmacia SJPDP) and a sleep aid like Benedryl. I am a light sleeper so these were essential to me.

My total pack weight was 16#. It is important to keep the pack as light as you can. I heard that about 25% of the people who start, finish. The most common causes of termination were blisters, plantar fasciitis, shin splints and falls. I personally think that folks start out to fast and long without building into the distance and trying to keep up or walk faster that their pace and carrying to heavy of a pack.

Buen Camino.

1. Yes, but SJPP is a lovely town, and the best place you'll find to get any last-minute supplies or gear, given your rush, 'til over 100K down the road ...

2. Decathlon

3. Bad idea, wait 'til Pamplona, and get one there -- the EU isn't an organisation of Federal States, but independent Nation States. The sim card you'll need will be a Spanish one.

4. Frankly, in that season it's best to consider your evening clothing and your hiker stuff as being one and the same thing. Dress warmly !! And if you're not warm enough, throw away the thin & cold rubbish, but get yourself some lovely warm toasty woollies in SJPP or Pamplona or Logroño ... Also some better rain gear than a silly thin el cheapo plastic poncho.

Buen Camino Peregrina !!!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dissenting opinion on Q1.

It looks to me as if your initial layover for time zone adjustment is in Paris? Might as well. Decathlon in St. Germain for the poles and you are in a nice area to relax before the hike.
I am heading out three days ahead of you , Paris to Bayonne and get to SJPdP at 2pm and plan walking to Valcarlos that afternoon. Things may change, but I walked two years ago and broke up the first day into two (out of shape).
It's an uphill schlepp but doable, considering that a majority of pilgrims goes all the way to Roncesvalles in a day. I was very glad to have stopped. Nice, smallish Albergue. I agree with Rick on the final km into Valcarlos though.

Hi, I just wanted to say I've been reading this forum for a while and to say thank you because most of my questions have all been answered here previously.

So, this is a real last minute trip for me. I only made the decision and booked 4 days ago so I am organising at rapid speed :eek:

3. I will be getting a sim when I arrive in paris, but did anyone bother to get an actual phone plan while they were doing the camino, say a one or two month plan?

Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Becky
Valcarlos is only 11 k,s from st Jean . 2-3 hours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Becky, so happy for you :)
I just returned two weeks ago and going though post-camino blues now, so envy you a lot - you have so much ahead of you :)
1. I didn't stay in SJPP. Walked to Orisson after arrival, started about 2pm. I believe, it's comparable time-wise to a walk to Valcarlos - a bit longer, but less steep. I was fine. My jetlag was showing up for the next few days, just waking me up earlier, but due to the excitement and adrenalin plus going quite early to bed - it really didn't matter. I was limited in days and didn't want to loose any. Actually that day was the only one when I was on my own on the trail - no people in the distance - and I loved it! :) Mostly pilgrims leave early in the morning, so leaving at midday - you get the Camino all for yourself.
2. If don't have too much time in Paris, do not bother, just buy poles from the shop in SJPP just in front of the Pilgrims' office. Mine were the cheapest for 20eur, served me well. Just apply some stickers on them, so you can differentiate.
3. I wanted to buy a Spanish sim, but ended up without it. I had an international sim card (go sim) with data only - it was enough for me. The only shortcoming - both with international or french sim - you can't use AlertCops app, that is recommended for your safety... So perhaps consider waiting till Pamplona to buy a prepaid sim - like Orange or Lebara.
4. While packing I was a bit worried that bringing too many warm clothes, but after all I used all of them. There were nights when I was putting both sets on me, so chilly I felt. I was wearing sandals with wool socks, tights and light pants at nights, plus merino long-sleeve top and fleece jumper on top. It depends on how you feel after walks. As for thongs - I didn't take those, was fine without them.
Hope it helps.
Buen Camino!

Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Becky
Hi Becky, you could get your poles at SJPP, there's a great hiking supply shop just down from the pilgrim office, there are a couple of supply shops in SJPP.
For your sim, check what the coverage is going to be. I bought a prepaid Vodafone sim from Madrid (where I flew in to) and had no problems.
I walked last year in Sept/Oct and the nights were getting cool then so I imagine in November they will be cold so maybe some thermals and you can just wear the change of clothes you pack so your not carrying too much. You'll probably want to layer up when you start out in the mornings then just remove layers as you heat up.
Flip flops (or thongs as I know them-Aussie too) are mainly for the showers but you'll need to air your feet at night after the walks.
I'm sure you'll get heaps of great advice from those that have walked that time of the year.
Good luck and enjoy.
Pam

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took crocs to wear in the shower and for evenings with socks, rather than flip flops.
No skirts for me. Leggings/thermals were perfect for evenings or if it gets really cold to wear at night in your sleeping bag or under your hiking pants. It may very well snow.
Poles you can get in SJPDP as others have already said.
It is nice to stay there over night and meet a few people to begin your walk together the next morning.

Thanks so much for your help everyone, such great advice. I've decided to stay the night in SJPdP as planned and just wait till morning. I have 2 nights in Paris before had but hoping to spend that time sightseeing Paris in Autumn.

I went off and bought my gear today. Have an amazing Osprey pack. I prefer hiking in leggings so I might alternate them and just wear them afterwards too as recommended. I have thermals for night. I have plenty of layers so I can prepare for the changing weather. Like someone recommended walking gear becomes evening gear sounds good to me as I'm trying to pack light.

I'll check out decathlon in Paris but I like the idea of 20€ poles in SJPdP since I'll probably have to donate them afterwards.

Thanks so much again, getting excited.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for your help everyone, such great advice. I've decided to stay the night in SJPdP as planned and just wait till morning. I have 2 nights in Paris before had but hoping to spend that time sightseeing Paris in Autumn.

I went off and bought my gear today. Have an amazing Osprey pack. I prefer hiking in leggings so I might alternate them and just wear them afterwards too as recommended. I have thermals for night. I have plenty of layers so I can prepare for the changing weather. Like someone recommended walking gear becomes evening gear sounds good to me as I'm trying to pack light.

I'll check out decathlon in Paris but I like the idea of 20€ poles in SJPdP since I'll probably have to donate them afterwards.

Thanks so much again, getting excited.

Sounds wonderful! Just a small word of warning - don't overdo the walking in Paris before you start your Camino! Take it easy, use it as a chance to get over jet lag, but don't try to do too much. Paris is very walkable and it would be easy to walk all day and end up with tired, sore feet. Just do enough to stretch your legs and save any major sightseeing for another time. You want to be fresh for your start at Saint Jean! You have an exciting time ahead of you.

Buen Camino!

Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Becky

Hi Becky and welcome to the Forum!

Regarding 4. I am in Nájera now having started from Saint Jean last Monday.
I have a light-weight sleeping bag and that is fine in the albergues. In the evening I just wear pants and top. Mornings have been around 10c but late mornings and afternoons warm with strong son. I have been walking in shorts and T-shirts. But...
the weather is changing and today they are expecting rain.

Enjoy!

I bought a Spanish SIM and it was easy the whole way. My trail buddy bought his SIM in France, fought with it for 2 weeks and finally bought a Spanish SIM

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Valcarlos is only 11 k,s from st Jean . 2-3 hours.
One more vote from me to stay or plan to stay in SJPP. Assuming that all connections will have you there as planned, is a lot to expect. I had a flight cancelled and a lost bag to contend with, for example. So, building in a cushion will ease any anxiety about how you begin.
In any case, it will all work out fine! Buen Camino to you...

My husband and I had planned to start today from Roncevales (we live nearby so did SJPP->Roncevales last month as a test-run), but the weather is cold and wet and more of the same is forecast for all of next week, so we'll wait a few days. Based on our experience hiking in the Pyrenees, we're packing warm clothes, small-ish down sleeping bags, and are seriously considering taking umbrellas. We're hoping that once this current rainy weather event is past, the sun will come back out for the rest of the month :). We're more worried about suffering from cold and wet than about our feet.
If you're in the Latin Quarter (Left Bank), Le Vieux Campeur is more or less across the street from La Sorbonne.

I recommend you wait until Pamplona to buy a SIM. I got one from Orange for Eu20, which provided ample voice minutes and data for a month. With a Spanish SIM you may find it easier to buy more minutes / GB should the need arise.

So I'm all packed and ready to go. The only thing I'm debating about is what book to take to read, I'm so used to taking 3 books on holidays :cool:

I bought a mini tablet just so that I could read Don Quixote en route. I never go anywhere without a book.
It’s a good plan to load books onto the tablet. I found the walk and talk so engrossing, that my book just felt distracting... and I always have a book. It was hard copy, so leaving it in my Estella albergues was not a hard decision

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Sorry so many questions.
Thanks, Becky

#2 you can buy then Saint Jean.
#3 I got Orange carrier for my iphone they installed for me at the store. It was a month to month plan.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back