• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie - Camino Francés + Finisterre and Muxia

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys!

Newbie here! I've been reading quite a lot and cannot make up my mind precisely for my first Camino.

Knowing I'll be off from work from september 6th and have to be back in Canada by october 27th, I had the following schedule in mind:

Day 1 : arrive in Paris, then train to Bayonne and then SJPDP for the night.
Day 2: Settle in and acclimate
Days 3 - 41 : Camino frances start. 35 days for Santiago + 3 rest days along the way
Days 42-45: Santiago - Fisterra - Muxia (4 days total)
Day 46 - Muxia bus to Santiago and plane back to Paris

Now, knowing i'm fit somehow and can handle the camino walk 'normally', does that sound like a good schedule or should I plan more rest or wildcard days?

I would be on the camino between sept 7 and oct 25 rougly... Good dates to walk?

Thank's for your precious advice. All opinions gladly welcome !

Max

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds pretty much right...
Obviously you never know what will happen but you have already allowed for some contingencies...can’t really do more than that.
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola @Maxcheese Hello Max and welcome to the forum. From my limited experience I'd say you are approaching the Camino in a smart way. Those rest days are useful as there is a lot of Spanish, Roman and indeed Ancient (450,000 before our times). Burgos and Leon are well worth day to explore.
I also agree with the aclimatization day in St Jean.
I like to advise pilgrims to take it easy on the first 4-5 days (from St Jean to Pamplona). Yes I know that Brierley says you can do it in 3 days - but I suggest 4 is better. This allows you to adjust to the walking (carrying that pack for real); sleeping in a different bed each night (oh and that communal noise level). From Pamplona you will know yourself better and can start adjusting your days - a long one today; a shorter one tomorrow. Someone you meet recommends a great albergue - but its only 15-17 km from your previous stop, don't worry it will even itself out.
Finesterre - Muxia is a good way to really complete your pilgrimage - seeing the Nth Atlantic. So go with a happy heart and a smile on your face. Buen Camino.;):D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi guys!

Newbie here! I've been reading quite a lot and cannot make up my mind precisely for my first Camino.

Knowing I'll be off from work from september 6th and have to be back in Canada by october 27th, I had the following schedule in mind:

Days 3 - 41 : Camino frances start. 35 days for Santiago + 3 rest days along the way

Now, knowing i'm fit somehow and can handle the camino walk 'normally', does that sound like a good schedule or should I plan more rest or wildcard days?

I would be on the camino between sept 7 and oct 25 rougly... Good dates to walk?

Max
I think you have managed to work out exactly the schedule which would suit the majority of caministas.
Your rest days are just what they say REST. Don’t think you have to race around cities and towns to see what they have to offer. Sit back and embrace the feeling and culture by people watching.
You will never regret this wonderful journey.
Buen Camino.

Sounds good, though for Santiago - Fisterra - Muxia you might want to add a day or two. 3 days is ok to Fisterra (I do four). One day in Fisterra would be great (late night up at the lighthouse for the sunset). Fisterra to Muxia in one day is fine but do get a stamp at Lires halfway if you want a Muxiana certificate (I do this in two days because I stay in Lires). Also, walking to Muxia then catching the bus the same day you will miss the sunset there, have a night there if you can too!

Buen Camino
Davey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked the Camino twice, both times in September and October. I find it's a perfect time to walk: the weather is generally cooler, beds are easy to find, and the scenery is beautiful. I am planning a very short Camino this spring with my daughter and am looking forward to seeing the Pyrenees in a different season. Your schedule looks very doable. Buen Camino!

Hi guys!

Max
If I can do it in that timescale back in 2016 aged 67 then I reckon anyone can. OK, I started from Pamplona but thats only a difference of 3 days. I have walked twice during September and yes, good dates. The weather can be good although in 2016, it was hotter than July for the first two weeks. The only downside of that time of year is the dark mornings. As the month progresses you can be walking by head torch for an hour or more depending on what time you start. But remember to look back, you will see some amazing sunrises that will put sunsets to shame. Bring something light to wear to make yourself visible when crossing roads. I wrapped my walking poles with hi viz reflective tape, put a couple of strips down my backpack and some on the front on my shoulder straps but they came off pretty quickly. Rest days you can decide as you walk. My idea of a rest day was a short walking day so that I was always making progress. Start about 8 instead of my usual 6:30, take a leisurely break for breakfast, and stop for lunch and the day at the first albergue I came to between 11 and 12 instead of walking until 2. That would have been between 12 and 15 km instead of about 25. An easy day but still moving forward. Buen Camino

Hello Max,

This forum has great info for a newbie. I've only been online for 2 weeks. My Camino is Sept/Oct --> I'll look for you along the way. My plane reservations from/to the States are set. I'll arrive Paris Sept. 11th, want to see Chartres while acclimating on the 12th, train to St. Jean on the 13th, begin hiking on Friday the 14th. My earlier post persuaded me of the value of a slower pace than John Brierley recommended + rest days (Burgos, Leon, Santiago). If I'm hitting my stride I'd like to get to Finisterra and Muxia; should have given myself a few more days. Next time!!! I'll have a green Osprey backpack, look for me.

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first ever backpacking/long distance walking experience was my first Camino at age 58. I walked from SJPdP to Finisterre in 36 days including one rest day in León.

want to see Chartres while acclimating on the 12th
I haven't seen Chartres but when there check out the Charlemagne window. It depicts legends and histories of him and Roland in Spain. Camino guide books may tell you the locations of some of these events, like the death of Roland and his fight with a giant. The halfway certificate in Sahagun mentions the lances of the Christian knights that were pushed into the ground the night before a battle. The lances of those who were to die in battle spouted as trees.

See http://www.medievalart.org.uk/chartres/07_pages/chartres_bay07_key.htm

Sahagun is the window's section 15.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for your wonderful insights! I'm definitely more confident for the camino now! I've settled on a start from sjpdp on September 9th and already found a santiago-paris cheap return plane ticket (35 Euros!) for October 21st, so in between, I'll be walking i guess 😊 @Dogbreath, I'll keep an eye open for a green osprey. Green Gregory here hehe! Buen camino a todos!

Looks like plenty of time. You might surprise yourself and do it a few days ahead of that schedule. Have a great time.

Maxcheese and Dogbreath - I'm a newbie too!! After spending a few days in London, I will fly down to SJPDP then start the camino on 25 Aug. I booked my trip with Walk the Camino (booked all hotels and will transfer main bag daily) - it's going to take me 44 days - rest days in Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and Villafranca del Bierzo. Will finish on my 60th birthday, 6 Oct. After Santiago, I'm headed to Porto and Lisbon to celebrate. I'll be carrying a teal blue REI Ruckpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welocme newbies, I'm very jealous, your fist camino is always a special one.

@Maxcheese I agree with @Davey Boyd that an extra day in Finisterre, Muxia or somewhere in between is a good idea, if you can walk Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia in 4 days you can certainly walk Saint Jean to Santiago in less than 35 and add a day on to your walk to the coast. For me at least the sunset at Finisterre (which at that time of year will be around 8pm) is a beautiful tranquil moment to reflect on having walked across a country, perhaps to be followed by a slightly less tranquil celebration with friends afterwards and it would be good not to feel rushed.

If my calculations are right you'll be arriving in Muxia on a week day and the last bus to Santiago leaves at 2.30 see attachment here . Given that the sun only rises at just before 9 at that time of year and walking as fast as I reasonably could it took me six hours to walk the nearly 30kms you may be faced with starting the dark or some other contingency.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back