• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie here

Tania L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Sarria to Santiago (Sept 2020)
Hi, planning to walk Sarria to Santiago in September 2020. How far ahead should I book for sleeping arrangements. Slow walker here so I won’t be walking as much as those that are fit. Please advice. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depends on what kind of accommodation you want.

September is still very much ‘in season’ so virtually everything will be open. If you are stating in albergues - whether municipal or private - there is no reason to book. You will find somewhere suitable.

If your preference is for the - considerably more expensive - private guest houses or hotels, then you probably need to be a few days ahead of yourself.

Many would say that the first option is the best. It certainly is the most common.

My preference is for the second. I am walking the camino de Madrid in November and my accommodation is - totally unnecessarily - already booked.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Depends on what kind of accommodation you want.

September is still very much ‘in season’ so virtually everything will be open. If you are stating in albergues - whether municipal or private - there is no reason to book. You will find somewhere suitable.

If your preference is for the - considerably more expensive - private guest houses or hotels, then you probably need to be a few days ahead of yourself.

Many would say that the first option is the best. It certainly is the most common.

My preference is for the second. I am walking the camino de Madrid in November and my accommodation is - totally unnecessarily - already booked.
Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m a slow walker and won’t be doing the number of miles most people do. I would probably have to stay in some of the albergues in the smaller towns and book ahead to the larger cities.

depends. more upscale places and/or popular (eg. in the centre of town or 'on' the Camino) hostels/albergues/hotels may require booking at lest a couple days prior. Definitely the day before in any case - you cannot do this at the public ones. many of the private ones re on booking so only a click away.

I didn't book ahead (except for Orrison), and only had a moderately difficult time finding a bed one time on the Camino. I just had to walk another 5 km. -- Or I could have walked back 2 km. But then again, that day I walked long into the evening, and from what you wrote, you probably won't be doing that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We booked private albergues two days ahead in April. It really was needed, since we were slow walkers too and usually the last to arrive to an albergue. Once we had to walk 5 more km because all places were full and after that we booked ahead.

September is still peak season. I'd make a reservation for the first day, see what the situation is, and reserve (if needed) every morning.
Yes, albergues in small places are less demanded. They have fewer beds, too.
The only large city after Sarria is Compostela. The rest -you go through them in 15 minutes, max.
Buen camino!

Last time (bad knee & back) I booked Orrison and Roncevalles ahead. I saw quite a few people arriving at Roncevalles late afternoon & it was full - including their extra space camping area. One fellow reportedly slept in Church and several others got together & took a taxi to the next town. So there are options usually - bit of a bummer though when you are tired.!
Will be heading out again in September but from St Jay de P. so won't see you in Sarria to cheert you on! as I will be snailing over the Pyrenees again - same issues.
Good to know - even in the smallest of towns even if there are no taxi signs, head into the bar and ask if they have a number for taxi - they will call one for you. Usually brother, or other family member happy to make a few $$$ and happy to help out a pilgrim!
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You will be walking the busiest portion of the Camino during one of the busiest months. Book ahead based upon what you feel you will be able to achieve daily. Then feeling secure enjoy yourself.

Sarria to Santiago won't be as busy in September as in July and August. I remember the albergue that I stayed at in Pedrouzo in September was nearly empty.
It's SJPDP to Logroño that's busy in September

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back