• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie here!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Question number one, if I order our pilgrim passports from Ivar, do I still need to register at the pilgrim office when we get there ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the reply. I’m definitely not the best at computers and forms and such so I’m trying to figure out how to navigate questions in this form.

I wouldn't want to dissuade you from ordering your passports from Ivar, but you can get them from American Pilgrims on the Camino in the US so the postage would be less.

Thank you for that information. I didn’t even know that existed. I will definitely go check it out. I just keep getting more and more excited with the more information that I found. I thought I had done a lot of research but I’m glad I ended up here as I am learning so much more.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome! You don't have to, but it might be a nice first stamp. :)

Buen Camino!
Ivar
How do I ask questions to everyone? Is that possible? I’m not sure what I’m doing here ha ha ha thanks for your help.

How do I ask questions to everyone? Is that possible? I’m not sure what I’m doing here ha ha ha thanks for your help.
Ask away here, or go to the specific sub-forum related to your question. There are sub-forums on camino routes, equipment and footwear, SIM cards, etc. This forum is a wealth of information, and wherever you ask a question you will get a reply :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi y’all I husband and I are starting our Camino April 1. I am over the moon excited. We are from a small town in the mountains in Arizona. I have questions though and I’m not sure where to drop those questions is here the place?
Welcome! What route are you planning to take? There are sub-forums for most routes.

Ask away here, or go to the specific sub-forum related to your question. There are sub-forums on camino routes, equipment and footwear, SIM cards, etc. This forum is a wealth of information, and wherever you ask a question you will get a reply :)
Ty

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are from a small town in the mountains in Arizona. I have questions though and I’m not sure where to drop those questions is here the place?

I wouldn't want to dissuade you from ordering your passports from Ivar, but you can get them from American Pilgrims on the Camino in the US so the postage would be less.

You can also get in touch with a local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino and ask questions in a real conversation. If meetings at a local chapter (Flagstaff, Phoenix, Tucson) are too difficult to get to they may have a walk scheduled near you.

do I still need to register at the pilgrim office when we get there ?
There is no need to register at the pilgrim office in St Jean Pied de Port (aka SJPP) or anywhere else. Nobody is keeping track of who walks on the Camino. The main only statistical record is done at the end, in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, for those people who choose to apply for a Compostela or Certificate of Distance at the end. [Edited to add: see next post by @trecile].

I have just posted an answer to your question in a new thread here, so it isn't buried within this thread, and maybe it can be helpful to others.

I have questions though and I’m not sure where to drop those questions is here the place?
Yes, it is fine to continue to put your questions on this thread, especially as you are getting started. Once you are more familiar with the forum, you might decide to put specific questions into different places. They are no more nor less visible to everyone, but searching for specific information works better when the threads are devoted to a specific topic and organized in that way. Moderators will help make that happen.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only statistical record is done at the end, in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, for those people who choose to apply for a Compostela or Certificate of Distance at the end.
The Pilgrims Office in SJPdP also keeps records of the number of pilgrims who start there.

There are actually quite a number of forums here. You've posted this in the "Introduce Yourself or Say Hello" forum. t's a great place to put your questions in front of those who like welcoming new members. But as you get into research, you may wish to put your questions into forums that are more specific to the topic of your question.

So, for example, questions about equipment and clothes might get better answers if you post them in the "Equipment and Clothes" forum, questions about traveling and transport to/from/along the Camino might get better answers if you post them in the "Traveling and Transport to/from/along the camino" forum. And so on. Or you might want to post questions about the particular route that you want to walk in the forum specifically devoted to the route. You can see all of the different forums listed on this main page.

Edited to add: Of course, this has already been answered and a new thread created. That's what I get for answering before reading the whole thread.

Edited to add: Of course, this has already been answered and a new thread created. That's what I get for answering before reading the whole thread.
Actually, you elaborated a little more and I am thinking of editing my post in the other thread, to include some of your wording, so thanks!

People probably get the same answers, almost no matter where they post a new thread. However, getting the thread in the right place helps people who are later browsing the topic forums.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. This is a great place to start, and welcome.

2. Don't confuse your U.S. passport with a "pilgrim" passport. The US passport is an official document that you need to travel. The pilgrim passport is an unofficial document that you use to collect rubber stamps from restaurants, bars, churches, albergues along the way. You need to show both nowadays in order to stay in most albergues because the pilgrim passport gets you such a cheap rate - otherwise plain 'ol tourists would try to stay in albergues, too (wouldn't they be in for a surprise!). You need to show a well-stamped pilgrim passport to the staff in Santiago in order to get a certificate that you walked whatever route you've chosen. Checking in at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP, if that is where you are starting, is a reliable way to get solid advice from locals who have your best interests in mind as you begin your journey - they want you to make it safely to the end.

Buen Camino, looking forward to many more interesting questions!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi y’all I husband and I are starting our Camino April 1. I am over the moon excited. We are from a small town in the mountains in Arizona. I have questions though and I’m not sure where to drop those questions is here the place?
Hey, Neighbor. Where in Arizona are you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can order the credential from Ivar or you can get it from the Pilgrim's office in St Jean Pied de Port. I would not "skip" the pilgrims office. That's where you check in and it's a good place to start the Camino. You're there with other people and it's where you start making friends. You get your first stamp in the pilgrim's office as well....

You can order the credential from Ivar or you can get it from the Pilgrim's office in St Jean Pied de Port. I would not "skip" the pilgrims office. That's where you check in and it's a good place to start the Camino. You're there with other people and it's where you start making friends. You get your first stamp in the pilgrim's office as well....
Always assuming that the OP is starting in St Jean, which is of course not compulsory. (I’m not suggesting you don’t know that)

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.