• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie needing advice

tony downey

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I am a newbie to this. I aim next year to walk the Appalachian trail and would first like to do this pilgrimage to have some reflection time and to get my muscles in to shape for the Appalachian.

Here is the problem. I have never set out on any adventure like this, I have no gear yet an no experience, So I hope you seasoned travellers can help

Is the route well signed, will I get away without having to use GPS and be an expert map reader

I would like to camp and stay in hotels, are both available. I would like to get use to my tent and gear and camp a night and then maybe hotel a night.

What is this book that needs stamping and where en route do you get this done.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice, dos and donts, all welcome

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tony, welcome to the forum. No hiking gear, no experience and you are planning the Appalachian Trail. Buen camino amigo; did you by any chance watch Wild?

You will find all the information you might need for any of the caminos on this forum and you will find the search facility (top right corner of the screen) very helpful. There are several threads on Camping - wild camping is illegal in Spain and compulsory on the AT; there are plenty of hotels, hostals and dedicated Pilgrim Albergues on the caminos, very few on the AT. To stay in a dedicated pilgrim Albergue you require a Credencial (that book; a pilgrim passport) on which you need to collects sellos (stamps) each day to show where you have stayed and where you have walked through.

If you are genuinely serious about this venture then get yourself a good quality pair of walking shoes/boots (get professional advice) and start training. You need to have an at least reasonable level of fitness to undertake 700km across northern Spain or 3,500 through the eastern USA.

Welcome Tony, Tinkatinker pretty much covered it above. Forget camping IMO, and go to your nearest REI and get properly fitted for your gear for Spain. This gear should also be fine for the AT.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the info Tincatinker. I have been training for the past month and walk 20 miles every morning for 6 days a week and to be honest find this quite easy. I do have good hiking boots which are now broken in, but other than that, not much else.

I planned on the AT several years ago, but only this year find myself able to take the time out. Just a shame 2016 may be the most crowded on the AT due to hollywood, I have read the book but not seen the film yet.I know they are two totally different experiences, and it was a chance meeting with someone who told me about the Camino and I just knew it was something I had to do, I dont know why, it was just a feeling. I have only just started to research and watch a couple of films on it. Can highly recommend 6 ways to walk the camino, a great documentary and gives a look at 6 different people walking for various reasons.

For some reason, I am itching to go now and do it, but with my sensible head on, I think March will be the earliest safe date to do it. Actually a lot of snow in Pamplona yesterday.

Thanks for the reply and I will do my research, but still any advice is welcome

Welcome Tony! I'm on this forum planning our winter Camino on the Frances that starts in a few weeks. This will be my first Camino so I'm not going to be a lot of help planning for the Camino, but I did hike 1100 miles of the Appalachian Trail in 2004. I think when people question that you are planning to undertake it without any experience they may be trying to look out for you (in a good way sometimes), and I think listening to the warnings and advice is important but please don't be discouraged. When I hiked there were experienced people who didn't make it, and VERY inexperienced people who did make it. (One person who I saw on the trail on and off for months was at the place I camped the first night - opening the box to his brand new stove and trying to figure out how to work it, and had never camped before). I don't recommend going out there unprepared, but if you are determined and willing to learn and willing to endure you can still make it. This is not to say that I'd suggest hitting the AT without a basic level of knowledge and preparation, but don't worry to the point of not doing it - you should do it! From what I've read it will be very different than the Camino though.

I would strongly suggest doing at least a 3 day overnight "wilderness" camping trip somewhere before you go on the AT. Obviously more would be better but I'd say at a minimum 3 overnights. Walk at least 8 miles a day, carry a 30-35+ lb pack, food, cook on a stove, filter water, set up your tent in the rain. You'll learn a lot, and gain confidence in your camping ability. If you know anyone else who backpacks - ask them to take you - you can learn a lot from others who have done it too and I think most backpackers are happy to share their passion with newbies.

Depending on when you plan to start the AT (most people start in March-May in Georgia), I wouldn't wait until March to walk the Camino. For one thing walking that much has a cumulative effect on your body - at 500 miles at the end of your Camino your feet and knees may be much worse off than they were at mile 70. Unless you are blessed with perfect body mechanics and strong joints and tendons, I wouldn't suggest going straight from one into the other because you may already be "partially damaged" before starting the AT if you are fresh off the Camino.

From what I've read, the Camino is doable in the winter so you wouldn't have to wait until March. I think on this forum there are a least 3 others starting the first week in January in St Jean. I don't know how much snow we'll see, and may have to do some walking on roads where trails are too deep. But a little of snow practice may be good for you anyways - on the AT depending on when you hike you may get snow also. ( we had around 1 ft of snow on the GA/TN border in mid-April in 2004 when I was on the AT).

Best of luck with your plans for both! Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the AT.

Last edited:
... I aim next year to walk the Appalachian trail and would first like to do this pilgrimage to have some reflection time and to get my muscles in to shape for the Appalachian. ... I have never set out on any adventure like this, I have no gear yet an no experience, ... Is the route well signed, will I get away without having to use GPS and be an expert map reader I would like to camp and stay in hotels, are both available. I would like to get use to my tent and gear and camp a night and then maybe hotel a night. What is this book that needs stamping and where en route do you get this done. ...

I start out with the obvious, the Camino(s) and the AT are two very different beasts. The Camino(s) is/are mostly a 'urban hike' that goes from village/town to town/village through inhabited landscape, it is not a wilderness walk. To answer your questions: It is well way marked, you do not need a GPS nor be an expert map reader. Just get one of the many guides for info about things not to miss and accomodation options and you are all set.

Also, wild camping is neither necessary nor allowed on many parts of the Camino. To try out that kind of gear, you are better off choosing a wilderness hike near where you live for a weekend or more.

... I have been training for the past month and walk 20 miles every morning for 6 days a week and to be honest find this quite easy. ... For some reason, I am itching to go now and do it, but with my sensible head on, I think March will be the earliest safe date to do it. Actually a lot of snow in Pamplona yesterday. ...

20 miles every morning? Impressive!
You can set out on the Camino all year round, no need to wait until March ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Camino is a cushy affair compared to wilderness. Personally I am reverse of what some suggest, what is the closest wilderness to you? I think if that is your primary goal that experience needs to happen first. The backcountry can be comfortable but not near as cushy or convenient. Once you walk the Camino any wilderness after may seem too extreme. Plus the fact you can do many different Caminos that will pull you back,

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum, the best thing you could have done was join the forum, the rest it's a piece of cake, just think of el Camino de Santiago as a long, long, long walk with beautiful places to visit, stay and eat it's only controlled by your budget, just as with AT pack weight is important only up to a point, depending when you go don't sacrifice weight for safety, do some search on this forum for more information then you can imagine, and opinions? Well every one of us have one :) Buen Camino

Zzotte

it was a chance meeting with someone who told me about the Camino and I just knew it was something I had to do, I dont know why, it was just a feeling.

Ah @tony downey I just love it - you have been planning for years to do the AP but St James has captured you. Welcome to the forum and buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a newbie to this. I aim next year to walk the Appalachian trail and would first like to do this pilgrimage to have some reflection time and to get my muscles in to shape for the Appalachian.

Here is the problem. I have never set out on any adventure like this, I have no gear yet an no experience, So I hope you seasoned travellers can help

Is the route well signed, will I get away without having to use GPS and be an expert map reader

I would like to camp and stay in hotels, are both available. I would like to get use to my tent and gear and camp a night and then maybe hotel a night.

I guess you are sort of new to walking. The camino is like a walk in a city park. You are never far from anything. Watch the way and read some, but don't worry about gear. If you wanted you could come with nothing and purchase everything you need (not much) for prices that are comparable to USA. There are shops in Ste. Jean Pied de Porte that will sell you everything and that is the starting point. I would forego the tenting idea as it would be more hassle than it is worth, but just start reading and looking. My wife and I walked in Sept and we are in our sixties.

Welcome Tony,
My wife and I are walking our Camino in March-April. REI is great for buying gear and they have workshops . I just registered for a workshop at their flagship store in Seattle on January 30. A workshop talking specifically about the Camino

Welcome to the forum Tony. In addition to the excellent advice you will receive from our fellow contributors in relation to walking the Camino in Spain I suggest you also research the advice provided on www.whiteblaze.net which is specific to the AT. As our colleague SYates mentioned you are comparing apples to oranges, very different walks. You will be carrying a lot more addition gear on the AT than required in Spain. There are many Youtube videos on the AT discussing the AT as well as the other looong distant trails in USA. Do consider walking in Spain though, as you will certainly have a marvellous experience and meet lots of wonderful folks from around the world. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Tony! Welcome. Although I'm from PA, I've not walked the AT but have walked the Camino. I think having "a feeling" that you need to do this (the Camino) is great! I can think of no better reason to do it because, IMO, it means you are being drawn to it. Say yes and don't overthink it too much. And possibly view this and the AT as two separate, not necessarily related experiences as opposed to one being preparation for the other. As others have stated, they are very different beasts, and each probably requires and gives you something different in return. If you have comfortable footwear and are already doing 20 miles a day, it seems to me the next logical step is to get fitted for a comfortable 35 litre pack and start carrying 10% of your body weight on those walks. Regardless, I'd say you're well ahead of the curve on Camino fitness if you started walking it today. Happy planning.

Buen camino and happy Thanksgiving!

Hello Tony,

I am not going to give you any technical or gear advice because I am a novice myself. You will be able to get lots of good information on this forum about such things. But I just wanted to echo what other pilgrims/hikers have said as to the AT and the Camino BEING TOTALLY DIFFERENT BEASTS. My husband thru-hiked the AT in 2013 for 6 1/2 months and this past September he and I completed the Camino Frances in 34 days. In my humble opinion you need to go into these two adventures with completely different frames of mind. Read as much as you can about both and if you can have a one on one with someone who has hiked the AT.

The best of luck with your plans!

Buen Camino!

Tony the Camino will definitely get you in shape for hiking any trails. I think its an excellent idea you have as the Camino is not a wilderness trek but is definitely an endurance challenge - or at least it was for me. Think ankles, knees and blisters ....... which I am sure is normal for all hiking. The considerations for gear are much different right down to the boots. In short - less is better for the Camino considering you don't need to carry food and shelter. I can't stress enough not to underestimate the impact of walking 20-30 km a day continuously for a month. Have a strategy for dealing with the inevitable problems like blisters or ankle injuries. I suggest you start with FAQ sections here in this forum as there is a lot info about gear there.

Buen Camino!

Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I start out with the obvious, the Camino(s) and the AT are two very different beasts. The Camino(s) is/are mostly a 'urban hike' that goes from village/town to town/village through inhabited landscape, it is not a wilderness walk. To answer your questions: It is well way marked, you do not need a GPS nor be an expert map reader. Just get one of the many guides for info about things not to miss and accomodation options and you are all set.

Also, wild camping is neither necessary nor allowed on many parts of the Camino. To try out that kind of gear, you are better off choosing a wilderness hike near where you live for a weekend or more.

SY, I love reading your responses. I have learned much from you, and appreciate your sharing. I go for my first camino on Apr. 1st.

20 miles every morning? Impressive!
You can set out on the Camino all year round, no need to wait until March ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi there, I am going to do el camino frances, I notice at saint jean pied de port it is advised to stay at the refuge municipal but I am unsure if this needs to be booked in advance. I have checked the website (www.aucoeurduchemun.org) provided, but cannot find details on this. Would someone be able to help me please?
Also, i have overheard that staying at a refuge for more than a night isn't advisable, is this correct?
Many thanks.

Hi MargaretaM,

In SJPdP the municipal albergue at 55 rue de La Citadelle is a fine place to stay but they do not take reservations.

However the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential, current trail/weather info and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

Usually in season you can only stay for one night in municipal and parish albergues unless you are ill. Private albergues and regular tourist accommodation allow longer stays.

Good luck and Buen camino!
MM

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi MargaretaM,

In SJPdP the municipal albergue at 55 rue de La Citadelle is a fine place to stay but they do not take reservations.

However the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential, current trail/weather info and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

Usually in season you can only stay for one night in municipal and parish albergues unless you are ill. Private albergues and regular tourist accommodation allow longer stays.

Good luck and Buen camino!
MM

Thank you so much mspath :)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back