• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie Packing List

I have had the chance to look at a great deal of helpful threads but I'd like a little more advice if possible.

I am considering what to pack for my trip and I'm concerned about the needs Ive read in other posts.

This is my (general) packing list do far. If anyone has any suggestions for changes I'd be grateful. Ill be starting my trip September 1st this year and hope to end in mid October.

List:
Shoes- I'm still unsure of - I'm thinking a comfortable pair of runners and some croscs or sandals for the evenings and towns. I was looking at Keens as well, but have not decided. I would appreciate feedback on this one especially.

Shirts - one long sleeve light weight, one short sleeve. 2 under shirts (tank tops)

Shorts/ pants - cargo style with pockets one long pair of pant. One pair of shorts

Underwear/socks - 4 pairs each ( too much too little?)

Toiletries- toothbrush, 2 bars soap (for clothes and body) deodorant, muscle patches, toilet tissue, aspirn (or the like) ace bandage, blister kit

Light weight sleeping bag - 1 lb

Hat

Rain Gear - cant decide if a poncho is best or I have rain pants and a jacket.

Diva Cup - sorry gents, its a ladies needs.

Others -
small pocket knife , iPhone, journal, needle and thread, stickers with my info on it for travel buddies I want to stay in touch with, Tabi-chan the sloth (hes a must) and.....

Anything else I have no idea.
Any help?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello haveslothwilltravel,
You will come across a lot of advice on what to pack and everyone has a different idea of what works best for them. Here I will attempt to give my version. I also walked in September/October.
Shoes - runners may be OK for you, but I found that hiking boots worked for me because I prefer the ankle support. There were sections of the camino where there was uneven/ rocky ground and I was glad for the boots. I didn't want to risk a fall because I wanted to get to Santiago. I found crocs to be excellent - very comfortable after a long day's walking.
Shirts and shorts/pants list look fairly simple - no extra there, unless you leave behind one of the tank tops.
Underwear/socks - could cut back to 2 pairs of each. I took 3 pairs of socks (and liner socks) and didn't need the third pair.
Toiletries - I would leave behind 1 bar of soap. You can always buy another one when you run out, and you won't have to carry the extra weight. I took a roll on deodorant, but it was only half full - plenty. Don't forget shampoo, and leave in conditioner if you use it - and sunblock!
Sleeping bag - seems to be very light, could be ok.
Hat - a necessary item!
Rain gear - again I think this is necessary - I took a jacket and pants, although others swear by the ponchos. The rain jacket was good for extra warmth when required, as I only took a lightweight fleece jacket.
You haven't mentioned a warm layer - lightweight fleece is good.
I took a "buff" to keep the sun off my face when it was low in the sky. The camino buff is for sale on this forum - look at the "Camino Resources" section. It is also useful for warmth around the neck and as a beanie.
I also took silk long johns for wearing in the evening when it cooled down. They are very light.
I took nappy pins to use for hanging clothes to dry. I also took a long piece of spare shoelace and used it for clothesline.
Take a small stone from home - to place on the pile at Ferro Cruz (if you are travelling on the Camino Frances)
Passport, tickets, money… travel money card - preloaded.
portable musical instrument, if you have a talent!
Camelback type water bladder.
Walking poles - I used pacer poles and found them to be very good.
Pack, waterproof cover for pack.
Pilgrim passport
Brierly's guidebook
zip lock bags for waterproofing.
I may have forgotten some things, but doesn't matter. You can buy most things that you need on the way.

I'm walking the Camino del Norte right now and have not used my lightweight down blanket yet - I've only used my silk sleep sack. Every place I've stayed has had pillows and blankets. I did bring along a king size pillowcase and am glad to have had it even thought my sleep sack has a pillow covering. In Oviedo I am planning to mail my down blanket ahead as it will give me a bit more room in my pack. I may also send my lightweight down jacket as I not worn it either.

I, too, brought a diva cup & have found tampons in every store along the way. The must bring for me has been a good concentrated conditioner for my hair. I can use most any shampoo but the water in some places was tough on my hair so having good conditioner was crucial.

Lastly, having a long cotton lightweight tshirt to sleep in has been nice. After my shower, I slip on my cotton tee that is a short dress length and wear it around town and to bed. It washes and dried easily. After a day of trekking in stretchy sportswear, the cotton is a nice little luxury. I do have an lightweight Columbia shirt (can be worn as a light jacket over a shirt or on its own) and I have used that as a night shirt as well when the other was in need of washing.

Think dual use for everything. I brought 4 pair of socks but use my two favorite, gave one pair to my friend who lost hers & have another with toes to wear withy flip flops at night if it's chilly.

¡Buon camino amiga!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought pink diaper pins - so I knew which were mine, just in case - and have used them often as many albergues do not have enough clothespins to hang clothing to dry. Also useful to pin small items to my pack to dry while walking. And I have had to buy more sunscreen along the way - very important!

Yes, Brissy is right, a lightweight zippered fleece. I took a Ferrino rain coat. (Not a poncho, similar to an Altus, get it on Amazon). Shoes are personal. I wore a waterproof hiking shoe, Oboz Sawtooth, with insoles from The Walking Company. Waterproof Keen sandals for evening and back-up. I also walked September 1st through mid October. Have fun!

I'm not one of those "weight-slashers" who manage to walk a Camino with a 3.5 kg backpack, but this year I did try to reduce my load a bit. I think I got it down to under 7 k, and that includes my fanny pack, so I was pretty happy.

As others have said, you should not pay attention to anyone's advice on shoes. It is such an idiosyncratic decision -- trainers vs. boots, Merrells vs. Keens, etc etc, you just have to go with what feels good on your feet. Your feet and your bone structure are unique, so reading about others' experiences really just complicates things. You have some time, so I would start now!

I think two pairs of underwear is fine, with the exception of socks, if you're counting that. I always bring three pairs of socks because it's good to change during the day, you may have trouble with things drying if you get a lot of rain, etc, and dry socks are a really nice thing to have.

Think about whether you need two shirts and two tank tops. Seems like it could be overkill.

Keep the first aid kit/blister kit to the basics because there are more than a zillion faracias on the camino frances, and they sell every foot remedy known to modern civilization.

I would go with a fleece, too. And one thing I would never walk without is a light (very light, 33 grams for the pair) pair of lambswool gloves. More than anything, if you get a stretch of cold rain, they will do wonders keeping your hands warm in the rain.

I've also walked with every possible combination of rain gear and have settled on the ferrino trekker as others have mentioned. But this is another one of those items that generates a lot of strong opinions, so if you're used to and comfortable with pack cover and jacket, go with it.

Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ANIMADVERSION!
This is my, a male of a certain age, list.
NEXT WARNING
Mr Brierley's guidebook, invaluable in many ways, packs a hefty weight.
The other equally useful guide is the Miam Miam Dodo guide to the Camino Frances (it is in French but gives so much more info on private accommodation/restaurants/bars) but is nearly as heavy as the former.
In my opinion you have two options with regards to guide books.
1) Take no books, jump in the deep end and swim. In any case it is very likely someone else will be carting the tomes alongside you on the camino.
2) Do what I am doing and scan the books to an iPhone/smartphone and/or an iPad/tablet with back up on the Cloud.
With regard to scanning the Brierley I am deleting all the "whimsy"; however the Miam book needs very little "pruning".
THIS IS MY PROPOSED PACKING LIST with weights:

FROM THE SKIN OUT
AIM < 7,500G (I weigh about 75kg - thus trying to follow the no-more-than 10% rule)
Aarn Marathon Magic backpack 33L 1,140g
Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes 850g
4x5L EXPED Fold Drybags 192g
Keen Newport H2 sandals 404g
2 prs Bridgedale Trekker socks 220g
3 prs Bridgedale Coolmax Liner 30g
Tilley Hat 110g
1 pr Pacer Poles 600g
iPhone 140g
iPad Mini Retina 341
Silk Mummy Liner 120g
1 Rohan Elite Jacket 330g
1 Rohan Microgrid Stowaway Jacket (fleece) 335g
1 pr Rohan Trailblazer Convertible (trousers) 405g
1 pr Rohan Action Bags (trousers) 305g
2 pr Rohan Cool Silver Trunks (75g) 150g
1 Rohan Ultra T Silver Short Sleeve 60g
1 Rohan Ultra T Silver Long Sleeve 95g
1 Microfibre medium travel towel 60g
Passport 40g
Debit card 5g
Glasses 60g
SUB-TOTAL 5,896g
Bottled water 1,000g
TOTAL 6,896G

IN BACKPACK WHEN WALKING
Aarn Marathon Magic 33L 1,140g
4x5L EXPED Fold Drybags 192g
Keen Newport H2 sandals 404g
1 prs Bridgedale Trekker socks 110g
2 prs Bridgedale Coolmax Liner 20g
iPhone 140g
iPad Mini Retina 341
Silk Mummy Liner 120g
1 Rohan Elite Jacket 330g
1 pr Rohan Trailblazer Convertible (trousers) 40g
1 pr Rohan Cool Silver Trunks 75g
1 Rohan Ultra T Silver Short Sleeve 60g
1 Microfibre medium travel towel 60g
Passport 40g
Debit card 5g
Glasses 60g
SUB-TOTAL 3,502g
Bottled water 1,000g
TOTAL PACK WEIGHT 4,502g

Last edited:
I have had the chance to look at a great deal of helpful threads but I'd like a little more advice if possible.

I am considering what to pack for my trip and I'm concerned about the needs Ive read in other posts.

This is my (general) packing list do far. If anyone has any suggestions for changes I'd be grateful. Ill be starting my trip September 1st this year and hope to end in mid October.

List:
Shoes- I'm still unsure of - I'm thinking a comfortable pair of runners and some croscs or sandals for the evenings and towns. I was looking at Keens as well, but have not decided. I would appreciate feedback on this one especially.

Shirts - one long sleeve light weight, one short sleeve. 2 under shirts (tank tops)

Shorts/ pants - cargo style with pockets one long pair of pant. One pair of shorts

Toiletries- toothbrush, 2 bars soap (for clothes and body) deodorant, muscle patches, toilet tissue, aspirn (or the like) ace bandage, blister kit

Hat

Others -
small pocket knife , iPhone, journal, needle and thread, stickers with my info on it for travel buddies I want to stay in touch with, Tabi-chan the sloth (hes a must) and.....

Any help?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

List:

Hat

Others -

Any help?

If folks try to push Brierly's guide book politely decline. It's a heavy tome and there is almost too much information. There is a Michelin Atlas that covers roughly the same stages but is much lighter and leaves much up to imagination and the will of the Way. A great rule to travel by is "Less is more".
Ultreia!

Just so people are aware, the latest edition of the brierley guide (jan 2014) is advertised on amazon as being reduced weight. Quite what it's been reduced to, and how, I'm not sure. Still, I do think it's worth the weight!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a 2014 edition of Brierley - I have just weighed it - it is 300g (0.662lb) - as I am also taking an iPad mini (341g) that is why I am scanning it, as well as the Miam Miam Dodo guide (roughly the same weight) rather than carrying them.

Wow, Thanks again everyone for the quick feedback and ideas. I very much appreciate it.

I will say I was incorrect about the sleeping bag size. I checked once more and it is around 2.5 lbs. I was thinking kilos and writing pounds. My brain is still adjusting to using both interchangeably.
Im going to look over the feedback and make adjustments as I can.

Gratefully
haveslothwilltravel

I'm not one of those "weight-slashers" who manage to walk a Camino with a 3.5 kg backpack, but this year I did try to reduce my load a bit. I think I got it down to under 7 k, and that includes my fanny pack, so I was pretty happy.

As others have said, you should not pay attention to anyone's advice on shoes. It is such an idiosyncratic decision -- trainers vs. boots, Merrells vs. Keens, etc etc, you just have to go with what feels good on your feet. Your feet and your bone structure are unique, so reading about others' experiences really just complicates things. You have some time, so I would start now!

I think two pairs of underwear is fine, with the exception of socks, if you're counting that. I always bring three pairs of socks because it's good to change during the day, you may have trouble with things drying if you get a lot of rain, etc, and dry socks are a really nice thing to have.

Think about whether you need two shirts and two tank tops. Seems like it could be overkill.

Keep the first aid kit/blister kit to the basics because there are more than a zillion faracias on the camino frances, and they sell every foot remedy known to modern civilization.

I would go with a fleece, too. And one thing I would never walk without is a light (very light, 33 grams for the pair) pair of lambswool gloves. More than anything, if you get a stretch of cold rain, they will do wonders keeping your hands warm in the rain.

I've also walked with every possible combination of rain gear and have settled on the ferrino trekker as others have mentioned. But this is another one of those items that generates a lot of strong opinions, so if you're used to and comfortable with pack cover and jacket, go with it.

Buen camino, Laurie
33 grams for the pair? where can you buy these gloves? They sound delightful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If folks try to push Brierly's guide book politely decline. It's a heavy tome and there is almost too much information. There is a Michelin Atlas that covers roughly the same stages but is much lighter and leaves much up to imagination and the will of the Way. A great rule to travel by is "Less is more".
Ultreia![/QUOTE
Hello obinjatoo,

I found Brierly's book to be incredibly useful, however I did rip some pages out before I started, and continued to rip them out as I walked each stage. I worked out fine….
Wow, Thanks again everyone for the quick feedback and ideas. I very much appreciate it.

I will say I was incorrect about the sleeping bag size. I checked once more and it is around 2.5 lbs. I was thinking kilos and writing pounds. My brain is still adjusting to using both interchangeably.

Gratefully
haveslothwilltravel
In that case it is a heavy sleeping bag and you may not enjoy carrying very far. Others have suggested lightweight fleece blankets instead, they can be quite inexpensive too.

haveslothwilltravel, two lightweight bag options weighing in under 1 lb, (both expensive however at $199) are; Sea to Summit's new "Traveller" down sleeping bag, 13.7 oz (0.85 lbs). And what I use, Montbell's "Down Hugger 800 Thermal Sheet", 15 oz. (0.93 lbs). both fully unzip to create a blanket.

Hello haveslothwilltravel,
You will come across a lot of advice on what to pack and everyone has a different idea of what works best for them. Here I will attempt to give my version. I also walked in September/October.
Shoes - runners may be OK for you, but I found that hiking boots worked for me because I prefer the ankle support. There were sections of the camino where there was uneven/ rocky ground and I was glad for the boots. I didn't want to risk a fall because I wanted to get to Santiago. I found crocs to be excellent - very comfortable after a long day's walking.
Shirts and shorts/pants list look fairly simple - no extra there, unless you leave behind one of the tank tops.
Underwear/socks - could cut back to 2 pairs of each. I took 3 pairs of socks (and liner socks) and didn't need the third pair.
Toiletries - I would leave behind 1 bar of soap. You can always buy another one when you run out, and you won't have to carry the extra weight. I took a roll on deodorant, but it was only half full - plenty. Don't forget shampoo, and leave in conditioner if you use it - and sunblock!
Sleeping bag - seems to be very light, could be ok.
Hat - a necessary item!
Rain gear - again I think this is necessary - I took a jacket and pants, although others swear by the ponchos. The rain jacket was good for extra warmth when required, as I only took a lightweight fleece jacket.
You haven't mentioned a warm layer - lightweight fleece is good.
I took a "buff" to keep the sun off my face when it was low in the sky. The camino buff is for sale on this forum - look at the "Camino Resources" section. It is also useful for warmth around the neck and as a beanie.
I also took silk long johns for wearing in the evening when it cooled down. They are very light.
I took nappy pins to use for hanging clothes to dry. I also took a long piece of spare shoelace and used it for clothesline.
Take a small stone from home - to place on the pile at Ferro Cruz (if you are travelling on the Camino Frances)
Passport, tickets, money… travel money card - preloaded.
portable musical instrument, if you have a talent!
Camelback type water bladder.
Walking poles - I used pacer poles and found them to be very good.
Pack, waterproof cover for pack.
Pilgrim passport
Brierly's guidebook
zip lock bags for waterproofing.
I may have forgotten some things, but doesn't matter. You can buy most things that you need on the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Gratefully
haveslothwilltravel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sitting in Santiago right now After 32 days walking, I found that I lost about a kilo in weight for every kilo in backpack. Things I did not need were sunglasses as you walk to west and sun is on back and I definitely carried too much water----1.5liters but very rarely drank more than 250 ml per day. Should have brought more under ware as mine was stolen from Albergue clothes line. Actually found men's boxers for sale for 37 euros at hiking store! Love the Koreans as they pack everything. Korean girls had ear muffs when weather was cold

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd reduce the socks/underwear to 3 sets of each, pick up a small knife in Spain if you need it for picnicing on stages rather than risk hassle at the airport.
My preference is for a liner bag rather than a sleeping bag - if you're finding the albergues cool you can always wear the next day's socks and top in bed overnight.
I've never been a lover of ponchos but my friend's poncho usefulness this summer has me rethinking, I bring a rain jacket but no overtrousers as I find my legs stay warm in rain as long as I don't have a lot of long stops, the weight of the jacket is dependent on the time of year.
As regards footwear, I hillwalk regularly so my choice was a lighter version of my normal boots and sandals for evening time. I found flip flops not comfortable enough for evening walks around the larger towns and at times a little tricky of flights of stairs, Crocs are good if you have the space in your backpack.
I regularly found myself using my light fleece gloves in the 1st hour or 2 on my earlier morning starts but my hands do suffer a little in early morning cold.
Your singlets are likely to be cotton so slower drying and a little heavier, maybe go for 2 tech tops and a long sleeved merino top.

More important than coming up with the perfect packing list is to make sure you have walked/hiked regularly beforehand in the clothing/footwear you intend bringing to ensure there are no friction areas/tight spots that might give you problems once on Camino.

Buen camino

Seamus

Sitting in Santiago right now After 32 days walking, I found that I lost about a kilo in weight for every kilo in backpack. Things I did not need were sunglasses as you walk to west and sun is on back and I definitely carried too much water----1.5liters but very rarely drank more than 250 ml per day. Should have brought more under ware as mine was stolen from Albergue clothes line. Actually found men's boxers for sale for 37 euros at hiking store! Love the Koreans as they pack everything. Korean girls had ear muffs when weather was cold
250mls of water only? I drank almost 3 litres every day while walking plus tea and orange juice!

I love your list serve name by the way: Haveslothwilltravel. I just want to add my 2 cents about shoes. Whatever you decide on they should be lightweight, whether high tops or low tops. No need for heavy leather, they are heavy, hot slow to dry. Most important is fit. They should be comfortable out of the box. There is a myth out there that walking shoes or hiking boots need to be broken in. If they don't feel good out of the box then it's the wrong shoe for you. If it's a toss up between a half size too big and a half size too small. Go with too big because your feet will swell.
Oh and I will be serving as hospitalera in Granon from September 1 -15. Stop in and say "hi" or stay the night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For a one pound bag (or just an ounce more), look at Mountain Hardware's Phantom 45. Bonus: hydrophobic down.

I love your list serve name by the way: Haveslothwilltravel. I just want to add my 2 cents about shoes. Whatever you decide on they should be lightweight, whether high tops or low tops. No need for heavy leather, they are heavy, hot slow to dry. Most important is fit. They should be comfortable out of the box. There is a myth out there that walking shoes or hiking boots need to be broken in. If they don't feel good out of the box then it's the wrong shoe for you. If it's a toss up between a half size too big and a half size too small. Go with too big because your feet will swell.
Oh and I will be serving as hospitalera in Granon from September 1 -15. Stop in and say "hi" or stay the night.

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I have a stuffed sloth (in the photo) that I rarely travel without. He is my constant reminder that its not how fast you go, but that you are going and thats what matters. Thank you for mentioning the shoes. I struggle with the size options and what to decide. I will be purchasing some new shoes this month to wear them some time before I go to make sure. I will try and stop in to say hi in Granon if I can.

Cheers
Haveslothwilltravel

I really appreciate everyones feedback and I look forward to making sure I am comfortable and ready for my trek. Most of all I am looking forward to what this journey has to teach me.

Question about the guide books.
I wasnt aware to bring one and have read mixed reviews. Do you really need a guide book?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Question about the guide books.
I wasnt aware to bring one and have read mixed reviews. Do you really need a guide book?

Not for the Camino Frances. You certainly don't need it to find the path; just follow the yellow arrows - or in summer just follow the line of pilgrims.

If you want an understanding and appreciation of the history, culture and architecture you pass, then download onto your smartphone an ebook version of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago; The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davison. Not a book to "read" a but instead a wonderful field guide.

Not for the Camino Frances. You certainly don't need it to find the path; just follow the yellow arrows - or in summer just follow the line of pilgrims.

If you want an understanding and appreciation of the history, culture and architecture you pass, then download onto your smartphone an ebook version of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago; The Complete Cultural Handbook" by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davison. Not a book to "read" a but instead a wonderful field guide.

THanks! I shall

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been reading through everyone's reply and I am grateful to have such support for my future journey. This trip will be the finally leg of being gone from the US for just about 2 years now and many things have changed about it and because of it. Its something I feel compelled to do with my life.

I will be traveling to Italy for 10 days before I head to Biarrtiz and then heading for the train. I want to try and send a small package ahead, possibly to Ivar, but im not sure the cost. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it might cost to send it ahead of me?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.