• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie planning to walk Camino de Santiago

Arun

Time of past OR future Camino
(19/12/2014 - 5/1/2015)
Hi all

I am not highly fit or experienced. Just curious and spontaneous person want to do the Camino de Santiago walk which I believe from France to the end.

I am planning to start on 18th or 19th december 2014 and hoping to finish by 4 january the earliest + or - 2 days. I am not sure whether it is achievable or not but willing to try.

Would anyone willing to join me

I am easy going decent and friendly guy

Thanks for your time and please do reply or suggest what I should be doing

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do not think that 16 days from France to the end is a reasonable expectation, particularly if you are not fit or experience. Regardless of how you decide, buen camino!

I am not highly fit or experienced. Just curious and spontaneous person want to do the Camino de Santiago walk which I believe from France to the end.

I am planning to start on 18th or 19th december 2014 and hoping to finish by 4 january the earliest + or - 2 days. I am not sure whether it is achievable or not but willing to try.
Not doable IMHO: Too few days, and it is winter. 17-18 days on 790 kms. means ca. 50 kms./day without any rest days. And you will most likely encounter bad days with snow/rain...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the valuable replies. I have only these days I could take the walk but it is so true about the snow & rain. If I miss the opportunity I might not be able to do forever. I am confused as I don't want to give up without even trying?

Thanks for the valuable replies. I have only these days I could take the walk but it is so true about the snow & rain. If I miss the opportunity I might not be able to do forever. I am confused as I don't want to give up without even trying?
Hi, Arun!
OK, so you have at most 20 days available. But what are your wishes? To start in St.Jean? End in Santiago (or Fisterra)? Walk the whole Camino Frances?
If you start in St.Jean and walk as your time allows you, the Camino will surely wait for you to finish it some day.
Also you can pick different starting point which gives you enough time to come safely to Santiago. By J.Brierley it's 20 stages from Burgos to Santiago, just for example. I haven't walk in winter conditions but have read some of the winter walking blogs and would recommend starting point even closer to Santiago. What about Sahagun, Leon or Astorga?

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't want to give up without even trying
A common lesson on the Camino is that expectations go unmet. Change the expectation, and it may become reality. You have enough time to walk from Leon to Santiago. The highest spot on the Camino is in that stretch, so snow may become an obstacle. Buses and taxis can cure that problem.:)

Welcome @Arun and great to hear you are planning a camino. As others have said you simply do not have enough time to walk from France to Santiago de Compostella. Even in good summer weather most of us assume it will take about five weeks from St Jean Pied de Port, although of course there are super fit marathon types who will take less.

As @KinkyOne has suggested, it is very common for people to walk the Camino in stages, taking several years to do so. It is also common for pilgrims to start their walk in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Sarria - and places much further afield, like Paris, Geneva or Rome. Your camino can start anywhere, there is nothing magical about starting in France.

You also say you are not very fit or experienced and that is a little concerning considering you only have a couple of weeks to prepare. As you are planning to walk in December the weather could be difficult. Mud can be exhausting, and in the mountains snow and cold weather can create hazardous conditions. You may need to think about taking a bus over some of the mountain passes. Be sure to read up the specific threads on walking a winter camino. In particular, read the threads by @mspath (Margaret) who has walked many times in winter. Most of the advice on this forum is aimed at those who are walking in spring, summer and autumn so may not be relevant to you.

Finally, as @mspath says, the Camino is not a walk in the park. It can be arduous. Be sensible and do some planning, so you can stay safe and enjoy your camino.

I thought camino should start at certain point and finish at the same place. Now i am realising that this can be started from some where middle. I will think about it and thanks for the suggestion. As I said I have no idea what this is all about just want to jump in and start doing it. More of spontaneous decision than properly planned one. Hope I haven't wasted your time. If anyone could say what would be the possible and reasonable start point in my case?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nice to see your last post Arun. Many say that the journey is within and not just the physical one from A to B. Give yourself plenty of time to do a short stretch without pressure and get the most out of the experience. May I be one of the first to wish you well with your planning and Buen Camino!

Arun...welcome to the Forum. As Al indicates...the Camino is a personal venture that can be as long, as difficult or as easy as you could want. Take some time and read about the major Camino's...Camino Frances, Ingles and Portuguese. There are others, but these can provide a solid background as to when to walk, how far to walk and the albergues, historical sites (religious and secular) that abound along the Way.
If you don't find an answer, or a thought just strikes you...ask.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hi Arun!
I'd suggest starting in Leon or Astorga. Both of these towns are well connected, including by direct train from Madrid. You'll be walking at a quiet time of year so some hostals will be closed, but the Camino between Leon and Santiago has a lot of places to stay so that's not such a major problem.
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought camino should start at certain point and finish at the same place. Now i am realising that this can be started from some where middle. I will think about it and thanks for the suggestion. As I said I have no idea what this is all about just want to jump in and start doing it. More of spontaneous decision than properly planned one. Hope I haven't wasted your time. If anyone could say what would be the possible and reasonable start point in my case?

Arun:

The Camino starts wherever you decide. That said, a good starting point, given the time and season, would be Leon. Fly into Madrid. Take a train to Leon and just start walking.

Ultreya,
Joe

As I said I have no idea what this is all about just want to jump in and start doing it. More of spontaneous decision than properly planned one. Hope I haven't wasted your time. If anyone could say what would be the possible and reasonable start point in my case?

With only 20 days to walk in the winter, and being out of shape as you described, I would start in Leon for several reasons. First, that gives you 20 days to walk 317 kilometers (197 miles) to walk to Santiago. If you really are out of shape, the first week will be challenge. Starting in Leon will allow you to walk short distances as you build up your stamina. Second, Leon is relatively easy to get to from Madrid, thus eliminating wasted time trying to get to the Camino. Third, Leon is a beautiful city and deserves a few hours of your attention.

Well...if you started in Burgos, bus across most of the Mesta and walk/climb/cross country ski thru Galacia, you might make it (wearing arctic gear). Dude....wait for Spring! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Start in Leon. It's a beautiful city and it's plenty doable to reach Santiago from there in the time schedule you have.

Thanks all for suggesting Leon is the place to start and I will look into this...Much appreciated

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Again I am not well prepared for this. I looked into the accommodation. As there is no certain plan I can't book the accommodation. Would that be a problem? especially the Christmas timing?

Thank you. I have 2 more questions
A] What is the best way to get to Leon from UK
B] Have any one done the trip of similar time. I just want to now about the weather. Will it be constantly raining & snowing or will be it OK weather. I know its unpredictable still some experienced people could pitch in

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you. I have 2 more questions
A] What is the best way to get to Leon from UK
B] Have any one done the trip of similar time. I just want to now about the weather. Will it be constantly raining & snowing or will be it OK weather. I know its unpredictable still some experienced people could pitch in

Easiest way is flight to Madrid, then either bus or train to Leon. Alsa Busses run several times a day from Terminal 4. Trains also run from Chamartin station which is directly linked to the airport. Time between airport and station is 12 minutes and trains run every half hour or so.

Easiest way is flight to Madrid, then either bus or train to Leon. Alsa Busses run several times a day from Terminal 4. Trains also run from Chamartin station which is directly linked to the airport. Time between airport and station is 12 minutes and trains run every half hour or so.

I walked Burgos to Leon last December. Weather was good for time of year and not particularly cold. There were very few Pilgrims and I was the only one at Castrojerez one night. Take plenty of warm cloths as some of the places will be unheated or the heating turned off at 9pm or so. The only day it rained was the one I arrived at Leon.

The weather obviously varies so be prepared for anything.

Glen Moray.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's why I don't have any plan Just last minute booking and just walk and see how far I go. The reason I don't have special agenda for the walk. Just a challenge not a pilgrimage for me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That's why I don't have any plan Just last minute booking and just walk and see how far I go. The reason I don't have special agenda for the walk. Just a challenge not a pilgrimage for me.

Hi Arun,
2 weeks ago you were asking for companionship for the camino starting in France in the middle of winter
2 weeks ago you thought this was a 15 day journey , 780 km............?????????????????.........50km a day
You are now saying this is a challenge not a pilgrimage.
You say you are unfit ...............a challenge?????...........dead man walking was a good movie?
May i suggest the following mate

Start in Leon , which is half way..............you """just"" might make it.........my money is on the taxi
You have had some experienced people pitch in as you say..........now old mate just do it.
Its not a game this walk and in the month you are suggesting my friend i can assure you its a bit more than a walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2 weeks ago you were asking for companionship for the camino starting in France in the middle of winter Yes I was assuming that it's possible. Then forum people said its impossible
2 weeks ago you thought this was a 15 day journey , 780 km............?????????????????.........50km a day Yes as I said I don't much about and I assumed its possible
You are now saying this is a challenge not a pilgrimage. Yes I like to do it as a challenge not pilgrimage. is that a problem?
You say you are unfit ...............a challenge?????...........dead man walking was a good movie? I said I am not highly fit. Difference between unfit & not highly fit. Challenge is nothing to do with fitness if you have time

Thornley - As I said in my messages I know nothing about the Camino walk until few days and I got interested and I don't have enough time to do the research and everything (work-wise we are hectic at the moment but again this is not an excuse). I didn't say it was a game. I just believing in myself I might make it. If not the taxi were your money is on.

To rephrase inexperienced, not marathon fit but healthy guy who doesn't know history about the Camino just want to walk as a challenge, to myself, nothing more nothing less.

Thanks thornley

2 weeks ago you were asking for companionship for the camino starting in France in the middle of winter Yes I was assuming that it's possible. Then forum people said its impossible
2 weeks ago you thought this was a 15 day journey , 780 km............?????????????????.........50km a day Yes as I said I don't much about and I assumed its possible
You are now saying this is a challenge not a pilgrimage. Yes I like to do it as a challenge not pilgrimage. is that a problem?
You say you are unfit ...............a challenge?????...........dead man walking was a good movie? I said I am not highly fit. Difference between unfit & not highly fit. Challenge is nothing to do with fitness if you have time

Thornley - As I said in my messages I know nothing about the Camino walk until few days and I got interested and I don't have enough time to do the research and everything (work-wise we are hectic at the moment but again this is not an excuse). I didn't say it was a game. I just believing in myself I might make it. If not the taxi were your money is on.

To rephrase inexperienced, not marathon fit but healthy guy who doesn't know history about the Camino just want to walk as a challenge, to myself, nothing more nothing less.

Thanks thornley

I would ignore all the people stating the commencement in Leon
Start in Spain [ Ronscavalles ] and when you reach Burgos go home mate.
Return the next year and complete.
Can't start in France as the mountain/pass will be more than likely snowed under or impassable.

You are correct Arun challenge has nothing to do with fitness if you have time.....however 15 days is not time.
If you are currently walking a marathon each day [ 42km] then you might make it.......with bags carried.

There are many , many accidents and injuries on this path Arun so please just consider 2 years for completion.
Start like an old man and you will remain a young one mate.

Arun, if your plans are still the same it looks like you will be starting soon. I hope the forum was able to prepare you for the weather and what to expect with gear, etc. I hope you picked up a guide book. It seems to me that good foot wear, a light backpack, and the proper rain/winter clothing is all you need to really be concerned with to get started. The rest will unfold along the way.

Whichever city you decided to start in, I just wanted to wish you luck and say Buen Camino. Keep us posted?
NomadPeah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arun, if your plans are still the same it looks like you will be starting soon. I hope the forum was able to prepare you for the weather and what to expect with gear, etc. I hope you picked up a guide book. It seems to me that good foot wear, a light backpack, and the proper rain/winter clothing is all you need to really be concerned with to get started. The rest will unfold along the way.

Whichever city you decided to start in, I just wanted to wish you luck and say Buen Camino. Keep us posted?
NomadPeah

Hi,

I did buy the guide from Amazon. Supposed to be delivered Monday still haven't got it. I need to download one or find one in local shop just in-case. Thanks for your comment & encouragement. Appreciated

Start in Spain as the mountains will bet wet/snowed or closed 50% of time.
The reason i said go until Burgos is thats around 270km , and a few days into the plains allow you to return to Madrid and fly home to where ever Arun comes from..
Definitely not Oz WidWil as it takes us a day and a half each way getting there.
I think personally when i get to Santiago or Muxia then thats the end. Starting half way would always be nagging at me when i got there.
However if commencing in either STJPdP or in Spain and going for the 15 days you know you will return ....it just happens with this Way.
Arun if you start at the commencement [???] have you thought about St Jean to Orisson on the first day and** taxi back. Next day taxi to Orisson and no bags as they are ahead of you.....in Burgette if possible.
All this will be subject to the advice from pilgrims office.
If you can do 30km a day as you indicated then Sahagan will be reached.
Train to Madrid is very simple from there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back