• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie question: Camino Frances vs Camino del Norte

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
I just recently decided to walk the Camino Frances, reasoning -because being a newbie - the infrastructure would be making it easier to begin with.

But: The more I’ve been reading here and elsewhere, doubts grow, because the Frances seems to be very crowded and I’m not sure if I’ll like it, that there are always pilgrims walking before, aside and behind me. I'll start walking first days of September, walking slowly, probably arriving 50 days later in SdC during the middle of October.

I also love the coast in general, so at the moment I’m thinking about doing the Camino el Norte, but not sure, whether it is doable for me, since it’s got more height meters to outdistance.

For those who have already walked both Caminos: How much harder is the del Norte compared to the Frances in your opinion? Is it possible to walk short stages (anything between 14 to 20 kilometers) and have no problems finding alburgues?

At the moment I’m quite indecisive – but I’ve got a few more weeks to go before I have to decide ;-).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just recently decided to walk the Camino Frances, reasoning -because being a newbie - the infrastructure would be making it easier to begin with.

But: The more I’ve been reading here and elsewhere, doubts grow, because the Frances seems to be very crowded and I’m not sure if I’ll like it, that there are always pilgrims walking before, aside and behind me. I'll start walking first days of September, walking slowly, probably arriving 50 days later in SdC during the middle of October.

I also love the coast in general, so at the moment I’m thinking about doing the Camino el Norte, but not sure, whether it is doable for me, since it’s got more height meters to outdistance.

For those who have already walked both Caminos: How much harder is the del Norte compared to the Frances in your opinion? Is it possible to walk short stages (anything between 14 to 20 kilometers) and have no problems finding alburgues?

At the moment I’m quite indecisive – but I’ve got a few more weeks to go before I have to decide ;-).

I walked both numerous time i would walk French Way as first camino and with experience The Norte. Norte lot harder

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, my first thought, when starting to think about walking the Camino at all, was to walk the coastal CP. But to start from Lisboa seems to be not that easy, starting from Porto is "short" of kilometers, considering the timespan which I have available this year. Seems to be a pity not to take advantage of that, especially since I ususally don't have that much free time on my hands.

I've walked the Frances twice, and am currently on the Norte. It is much more difficult, and I'm not sure that I would have developed my Camino addiction if I walked it first. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, and I'm enjoying it, but the Camino spirit doesn't seem as strong on this Camino. One indicator is that I see very few shells on backpacks here. I actually forgot to bring mine, and haven't seen any place to buy one.

I think that's because so many of the little villages on the Frances survive almost solely because of the Camino, therefore it seems like there is a greater focus on the pilgrims.

And if you want to avoid a bed race the Norte in the summer is definitely not the place to be! I'm sure that it's different in September though.

When I've walked the Frances there were many, many times that I walked alone for hours without seeing another pilgrim.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have not yet walked the Frances, but walked the Norte in 2010 age 70, my first camino. I loved it and found it perfectly doable with stages of around 20 km. Have heard that the infrastructure has improved a lot and there are many more people walking it now because they want to avoid the "crowd" on the Frances.

Whichever way you decide, buen camino!

I have walked both. I, too, would recommend the Frances as your first Camino. Yes, there may well be times with crowds, but that's a bit dependent on the time of year. (Both of my Caminos were in the spring, so I can't speak to your time frame.) The infrastructure--and fellow pilgrims--help you get the feel for the walk as a first-timer. I did find the Norte significantly more challenging in the topography, but worth it for the views. I also cut off the Norte to do the Primitivo, and loved that as well. I don't think you'd have much problem with shorter stages on the Norte. And with both, be alert to calling ahead for albergue reservations.

Yes, my first thought, when starting to think about walking the Camino at all, was to walk the coastal CP. But to start from Lisboa seems to be not that easy, starting from Porto is "short" of kilometers, considering the timespan which I have available this year. Seems to be a pity not to take advantage of that, especially since I ususally don't have that much free time on my hands.

Hi Sugrgypsy;
I wonder if you can look less specifically at which route, and a little more at your own fitness for just a sec... Mostly I'm thinking about the state of knees, hips, and feet. If you are reasonably healthy and have no troubles with the knees, hips, and feet, then given your preference for a quieter route, the CdN may be your happier choice.
I have a young friend, just finishing year one of her doctoral programme, and she had been my MA student. She decided to work for a year after her MA to save money and then to travel, and I strongly recommended a camino to her, but I was very surprised when she chose the CdN (because she's a sunny, highly social person).
Last July, she walked the CdN as her first walk, and joined the Primitivo to join up with that last bit of the Frances. I was worried about her (even though that's not my job), but she loved it. She told me on return that it was not isolated, and was well-serviced, but that certainly the grade changes had been challenging on her knees.
Now she is thinking of going back at the end of the PhD as a reward, and will do the CF on that trip.
One reasons that I encouraged her to go is because there really is something to taking things one step at a time over a very long haul to learn to trust in oneself for the other big projects of life (whether it's school, or career-building, a life transition, etc).
So, I know that she would tell you not to be afraid of the CdN, and would say that there is a better chance in the height of summer of it being cooler by the ocean than in the Meseta.
So, for what it's worth, I think if you are attracted to the CdN, that you should do it
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked both, Frances in 2015 & 2017, the Norte/Primitivo 2016 and walked them in mid April thru May. I love both, each for different reasons.

I'm glad I walked the Frances first, for its uniqueness, and a more "pilgrimage" spiritual feeling. I thought much of the terrain lovely. If you are walking alone, it will be somewhat easier to find a bed each night. And of course you can always book ahead if needed. When I walked it in 2017 I was with three other family members and we managed the bed race by reserving the "morning of" our proposed day's end as assurance we could stick together.

The Norte is more difficult, but offers many beautiful views as a reward. It definately has the feeling more of a hike and yes, there is far less infrastructure. Because of this I planned and calculated much more before I left home to get a handle on how far I would need to walk each day. That said, I rarely booked ahead and it still worked out. Although I rarely saw others while walking, the lodgings were usually quite full at night. The coastal towns were nice and "touristy", but most were not as charming as the ancient villages and churches on the Frances, which I sometimes longed for.

Both great experiences...just different!

I have walked both, Frances in 2015 & 2017, the Norte/Primitivo 2016 and walked them in mid April thru May. I love both, each for different reasons.

I'm glad I walked the Frances first, for its uniqueness, and a more "pilgrimage" spiritual feeling. I thought much of the terrain lovely. If you are walking alone, it will be somewhat easier to find a bed each night. And of course you can always book ahead if needed. When I walked it in 2017 I was with three other family members and we managed the bed race by reserving the "morning of" our proposed day's end as assurance we could stick together.

The Norte is more difficult, but offers many beautiful views as a reward. It definately has the feeling more of a hike and yes, there is far less infrastructure. Because of this I planned and calculated much more before I left home to get a handle on how far I would need to walk each day. That said, I rarely booked ahead and it still worked out. Although I rarely saw others while walking, the lodgings were usually quite full at night. The coastal towns were nice and "touristy", but most were not as charming as the ancient villages and churches on the Frances, which I sometimes longed for.

Both great experiences...just different!
I feel pretty much the same. The Norte does feel more like a "hike" than a Camino, but the scenery is gorgeous. I miss walking into a town or city and knowing that I just needed to find the square around the church to find other pilgrims. I'm alone in Santander tonight and feel more like a tourist than a pilgrim at the moment.

@trecile, I stayed at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Santander and it was not very full. It was an "ok" experience. I did take a city bus out to Palacio de la Magdalena, which was a lovely experience, since I'd arrived in town by 1pm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While I can see why you will want to finish the Camino that you started there is no rule saying that you have to. You could start on the Frances until you feel comfortable with everything you do on a Camino and then switch to a spot on the Norte that meets your time, companionship and scenery desires.

Thanks very much so far @All, for your opinions and knowledge.

While I can see why you will want to finish the Camino that you started there is no rule saying that you have to. You could start on the Frances until you feel comfortable with everything you do on a Camino and then switch to a spot on the Norte that meets your time, companionship and scenery desires.
Thanks for that idea, something similar came up mind yesterday evening, but I forgot. I thought then about changing at Ponferrada to the Camino Invierno to avoid the last 100 kilometers from Sarria to SdC.

But probably I shouldn't think at the moment about all those different possibilities and just stick to the orignial idea of doing the Camino Frances. See how it develops, and then let time take care of everything, think about a change if I feel the need to, when I'm on my way and made my own first experiences.

I'd better to do some more training walks - instead of planning too much - before starting off.

One reasons that I encouraged her to go is because there really is something to taking things one step at a time over a very long haul to learn to trust in oneself for the other big projects of life (whether it's school, or career-building, a life transition, etc).

Wow @Morgan Holmes what a wonderful perception of the benefits of Camino for the emergent adult. It ain't just an adventure, or a party; its an opportunity for growth. Beautiful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wouldn't worry too much about the CF. I walked it the last two years, often alone for hours, the only time it got busier was in the last 100 kms which you may also get with other Caminos. More people do the last 100kms than walk the entire distance. I love the Frances for the Camino spirit, and in fact everything about it. But you choose whether you want company or not.

@trecile, I stayed at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Santander and it was not very full. It was an "ok" experience. I did take a city bus out to Palacio de la Magdalena, which was a lovely experience, since I'd arrived in town by 1pm.
I decided to make this more of a rest day, so I booked a room at a hostal. I've no idea where the other pilgrims are, and I'm okay with that. In the past I would have felt lonely, but I don't feel like I've really met "my" people yet. I'm not going to fret about it. Actually, I have met several people that I "clicked" with, but they finished their Camino at Bilbao or took a rest day, causing us yo be on different schedules. But the great thing about the Camino is every day there's a new opportunity to make a friend.

I wouldn't worry too much about the CF. I walked it the last two years, often alone for hours, the only time it got busier was in the last 100 kms which you may also get with other Caminos. More people do the last 100kms than walk the entire distance. I love the Frances for the Camino spirit, and in fact everything about it. But you choose whether you want company or not.
I keep meeting people on the Norte who chose it because of the "crowds" on the Frances. I think that they are imagining an 800 km walk four abreast all the way.:D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I don't understand the posts about crowds. Sure, there are lots of pilgrims, but really! Spread across 790 km the crowds are not a problem.

I recommend the Frances! The "crowds" go in clumps and it is not hard to avoid them. I started each day a little after the early riser group and often had the trail to myself. When I didn't feel social, I continued walking past cafes where a lot of pilgrims had stopped for coffee. If you end your walk early-ish in the day, around 1pm or before, it's not hard to find a bed and then you can walk around the town. Especially if you are walking solo, it's much easier to get a bed than it is for people in couples or groups.

I recommend the Frances because every section is different and beautiful. You climb up through foggy mountains and then enjoy the view from the top. Walk on Roman bridges over rivers full of trout, stay in small medieval villages with impossibly ornate little churches. You hike on surviving sections of ancient Roman roads and through vineyards in Rioja. You follow a woman leading her herd of cows through the middle of a small town and sometimes come upon unique local festivals going on in some villages. You meet Tomas, the last Templar Knight, in Majarin, and then come upon the iconic Cruz de Ferro. You pass through Atapuerca, where the earliest humans in Europe were found, from a million years ago. In Galicia you can find traces of original Celtic settlements.

The language dialects, foods, village architecture and the whole eco-system changes again and again as you cross the country on foot. Don't miss it.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it depends on what you are looking for in a Camino.

The Camino Frances will give you much more of the "archetypal" experience of a Camino, one that you will share with millions of modern pilgrims, passing through the same way that so many have gone before and written about, from Aymeric Picaud on. Afterwards, when you meet other pilgrims and reminisce, you will have been to the same places. There will be a good infrastructure, plenty of opportunity to experience the pilgrim camaraderie that many find to be the highlight of the experience, and a wide variety of landscapes and regions. There will also be plenty of opportunity for solitude, if that is what you desire, although, many have gone thinking that what they want is solitude and then fell in love with their pilgrim "families".

I haven't been on the Norte myself. From what I've heard the scenery is spectacular. You get more of a coastal experience, if you love the ocean. The walk is more strenuous, if you are an athlete looking for more of a physical challenge. And there are fewer people ensuring more solitude and reflection (not that these are not available on the Frances, but they are more escapable).

My advice would generally be to go on the Frances for a first pilgrimage, but I am not so fixed in that advice to ignore the priorities of the recipient.

There will be a good infrastructure, plenty of opportunity to experience the pilgrim camaraderie that many find to be the highlight of the experience, and a wide variety of landscapes and regions.
The good infrastructure was one of the important points which drew me to do the Frances. What put me off - after reading a lot about the different Caminos - was that the majority of pilgrims are going to do the same thing ... how could they have exactly the same idea like me :D ...

But like some others pointed out already, there are about 800 kilometers to walk - quite a long distance to sort of disperse all those pilgrims on the way ;).

There will also be plenty of opportunity for solitude, if that is what you desire, although, many have gone thinking that what they want is solitude and then fell in love with their pilgrim "families".
I do actually seek both. Walking on my own - because I'm slow - and to meet and to get to know other pilgrims. The latter will probably be an interesting experience for me.

I'm neither shy nor insecure, but the last couple of years I rather led a solitary life - except keeping contact with some scarce friends and familiy -, due to different reasons. But I do want to mingle with other people and I must admit, I already felt a bit sad prematurly, when reading about the pilgrim families, because I probably won't be able to join, because I'm a slow walker. As far as I understand - at least I've read that quite a few times here - lots of pilgrims cover quite some kilometers each day which I won't be able to do - at least in the beginning.

But again, I'll have to wait - that is walk ;) - and find out for myself: No use about fretting/crying already about not yet spilt milk.

The good infrastructure was one of the important points which drew me to do the Frances. What put me off - after reading a lot about the different Caminos - was that the majority of pilgrims are going to do the same thing ... how could they have exactly the same idea like me :D ...

But like some others pointed out already, there are about 800 kilometers to walk - quite a long distance to sort of disperse all those pilgrims on the way ;).

I do actually seek both. Walking on my own - because I'm slow - and to meet and to get to know other pilgrims. The latter will probably be an interesting experience for me.

I'm neither shy nor insecure, but the last couple of years I rather led a solitary life - except keeping contact with some scarce friends and familiy -, due to different reasons. But I do want to mingle with other people and I must admit, I already felt a bit sad prematurly, when reading about the pilgrim families, because I probably won't be able to join, because I'm a slow walker. As far as I understand - at least I've read that quite a few times here - lots of pilgrims cover quite some kilometers each day which I won't be able to do - at least in the beginning.

But again, I'll have to wait - that is walk ;) - and find out for myself: No use about fretting/crying already about not yet spilt milk.
I'm sure that you'll find plenty of other pilgrims that walk at your pace to form a "family" with if you want.

Your profile states that you're planning to walk in Sept and Oct. I walked the Frances during those months in 2015. I didn't find the crowds to be a problem. The Summer holiday months seem to be the biggest issue when it comes to crowds. I wouldn't hesitate to do another Fall Camino Frances.

Definitely the French for your 1st. Much more Camino spirit, very beautiful, hopefully by end of September it'll be cooler and less pilgrims. Do start in France though. 1st half is the best.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I recommend the Frances for your first. More services. 20k is possible except at the end on Del Norte. We had a 30k day. Consider why you are walking. Frances is more traditional and religious. Norte is more mature, but lots of pavement and next to no religious focus, in my opinion.

I have not yet walked the Frances, but walked the Norte in 2010 age 70, my first camino. I loved it and found it perfectly doable with stages of around 20 km. Have heard that the infrastructure has improved a lot and there are many more people walking it now because they want to avoid the "crowd" on the Frances.

Whichever way you decide, buen camino!
I loved the Norte. The Frances can't compare and too crowded and boring for me

I`m also on team that suggest Frances. Start on it, see how you go. If you don't like it, change! Go to invierno, primitivo... It is YOUR camino after all!

And hey, you can get a camino family even being slow. I can't do more than 25km a day (20km is my confortable daily amount), and I do it like a snail. Guess what? There were other snails at CP last year, and we had a lovely time snailing, turtling and joing about it. We would bump into each other in the same albergues and bars, it was so good!

Just go, change if you need, and buen camino! :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back