• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie/Safety/Privacy

HannahWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
July 13, SJDP-Muxia
Hi. I'm 22, from South Carolina (but go to school in New York), and my name is Hannah. I will be walking the camino in late summer with my two college roommates as a celebration of graduation before beginning our life in the "real world". My one roommate is jewish and a direct descendant of jews expelled from Spain in the 15th century, my other roommate is of strong Basque heritage, and I am both a fairly devout catholic and a spanish minor, so we just thought this made a perfect almagamation of all of our cultural backgrounds and interests to do this.

We are all athletic (two of us played sports in college) and are currently taking hiking trips on weekends for preparation for the Camino.

I have two major areas of concern that I wanted to ask about:

1) Safety. I know that Spain is incredibly safe, and the Camino even moreso. But how safe, specifically, is it for three young girls walking the Camino alone? My parents let me study abroad in Spain and the Czech Republic, yet now suddenly they are freaking out about the camino (although they are generally supportive). What are your thoughts about three 22 year old women walking alone?

2) Privacy. For my own, personal, religious reasons my modesty is very important to me, but I know that albuergas are very NOT private. I am not very worried (at all) about changing, showering, etc around other women. I am a swimmer and use wide open, communal showers nude on an almost daily basis. I also have three sisters. So I'm not overly prudish, but I am modest.....inasmuch as I define modesty more about being undressed around the opposite sex. How private are the showers, not so much from other women, but from men? Are they on opposite ends of the albuerga? what about changing into/out of clothes? I definately don't want to be nude below the waste around any man, and I really wouldn't want him to even see me in my underwear (at least not below the waste). I'm a bit less resolute about above the waste because I realize that breasts are not considered sexual in spain (I almost went topless once during my study abroad, but decided it didn't quite feel right for me....so therefore while I am worried about that to a degree, my primary concern is really below the waste). What is the situation? What can I do? Sorry to be asking a question that probably wouldn't bother most people. I'm usually pretty easy going, and I'm not trying to fixate. But I don't want to completely turn away from my own moral compass either, even as I'm respectful of other people's comfort levels and moral compasses.

Thanks for any help, and if anyone feels more comfortable talking rather than posting, feel free to contact me on yahoo messenger

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will be fine. I did not encounter one naked person on the whole camino thank God. Showers were always seperate in any of the places I stayed. When you book in pick bunks near each other and you have the option of private rooms in the private hostels. Enjoy your camino.
Buen camino.

wayfarer said:
You will be fine. I did not encounter one naked person on the whole camino thank God. Showers were always seperate in any of the places I stayed. When you book in pick bunks near each other and you have the option of private rooms in the private hostels. Enjoy your camino.
Buen camino.
Thanks for the confidence!

Define separate please? Do you mean separate as in men vs women or separate as in curtains/doors. If I had to pick I'd rather wide open, no privacy but a separate, totally private room for all women......than have a "private stall" with a semi private curtain or door and a man walking by.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Obviosly I have no idea of the layout in the ladies showers but any of the mens were seperate and had locking doors. Being brought up an Irish Catholic I am conditioned to be modest around others and I never really got rid of that conditioning but thats ok too.

wayfarer said:
Obviosly I have no idea of the layout in the ladies showers but any of the mens were seperate and had locking doors. Being brought up an Irish Catholic I am conditioned to be modest around others and I never really got rid of that conditioning but thats ok too.
So you are saying the men's were separate from the women's and had doors. (I was asking which, but it sounds like its both)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gender separated showers are relatively new, and are found only in recently built albergues.

Most albergues have shower cubicles, some with a door, some with a curtain. Many doors are translucent. A few municipal albergues have co-ed showers with no curtain or door, just a mostly open alcove.

Spain has the most liberal nudity laws in Europe. You have the legal right to be publicly nude except if it involves children or mental incompetents. I have never encountered the naked folks, but they can do it if the want!

falcon269 said:
Gender separated showers are relatively new, and are found only in recently built albergues.

Most albergues have shower cubicles, some with a door, some with a curtain. Many doors are translucent. A few municipal albergues have co-ed showers with no curtain or door, just a mostly open alcove.

Do you know which are co-ed with no curtains/doors? Eeek. Are those common enough that I should maybe pack a swimsuit to shower in? But even then, where could I change into it?

By translucent doors, how translucent are we talking about? Are the curtains fairly covering?

If I stick to mostly newer albergues, I'm likely to have mostly gender separate? I'd really like either gender separate (regardless of privacy) or if gender together, the most amount of privacy possible.

co-ed with no curtains/doors?
Melide and Arzua come to my mind. Others may remember some more.

One shower in Foncebadon was more transparent than translucent. You know how shower curtains are; some fit well, some are torn, some are coming off their hooks. All provide decent decency. Most open onto common areas, so you go in clothed and come out clothed. Changing clothes is easier in commode stalls. They are dryer than shower stalls, and most lock.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Hannah!

As you're going as a small group you could consider seeking out private rooms for 3 people, which will give a bit of extra privacy but not necessarily increase the cost too much. Don't miss out on the albergue experience though! :D After the first few days you'll see how things work and be much more comfortable.

My only real suggestion is that you don't just band together as the 3 girls and see that as your only strength. You'll get more strength and security from mixing and getting to trust other peregrinos of whatever gender, nationality etc, because we all look out for each other and especially for our 'family'. :p

You'll have a wonderful Camino and I think you'll all surprise yourselves somehow....I just get that feeling. Buen Camino!

do not worry about those things, I have never found any nudity in albergues. As a workaround, I suggest you bring your bikini and have your showers wearing your bikini if that is an issue for you.

As to safety, not a problem either, late summer (I understand september) will be a beautiful time to walk!

Don't worry. You'll be surrounded by decent people who respect each other's modesty. And after a long day's walk, the most important thing is that the shower is hot - or just the fact that there is a shower! - and not the state of the translucent or solid doors or curtains. I never found it to be a problem and heard no one bringing it up. Take a sarong to hang over the door in case it is too see-through for your comfort, and you can also use it to wrap around yourself while you change, hang it as a curtain in front of a bottom bunk when you change or sleep, even as a long skirt or a coverup for going into churches etc. No one is running around naked in the albergues or paying undue attention to the other pilgrims' bodies. Apart from their feet: skin care, blister treatment, Compeed positioning, bandaging technique ... :lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree it might be good for you to explore private lodging.

There are several albergues who offer private rooms for just a little more cash (pm me if you want to know these) and if you can afford it, private rooms make for better sleeping, imo. You can also often get rooms for 3 people and share the cost.

As far as privacy in albergues, there is none.
Some people are modest.
Others prance around and show off their speedo underwear... just depends on the person.

As far as safety, I still believe Spain is much more safe than the United States and would NEVER take a trek like this in my own country without carrying a weapon. I think you'll be perfectly safe. If you want, you can always find groups of people to walk with on the more lonely sections.

Buen Camino!
Annie

I have never found nudity in the Albergues. Occasionally, very occasionally, you might see someone (male or female) in their undies. I can only think of a few instances where the situation might be called "critical", in that either there was a flimsy shower curtain, or the shower was so small that there was no where to hang your clothes inside ( so that you can actually dress inside you cubicle). I only found on one instance of a sort of open shower with 3 shower heads - but a women only shower room. I have stayed in more than one hundred different Albergues. Anne

Like Anne, I have never encountered nudity in the albergues in 3 caminos.
It is certainly not a problem and is uncommon when it does occur.
It may happen, but it need not ever be you, and I think you wiould have to be looking for it to see it in others.
You need not worry about your modesty...only the odd other person...usually an European man in Speedo underware. Nothing more than on the beach.

With 3 people you would never be in a situation where you could not "guard" or provide privacy even in the worst event.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
falcon269 said:
co-ed with no curtains/doors?
Melide and Arzua come to my mind. Others may remember some more.

We were in Melide municipal in October, and while the cubicles did not have curtains or doors, they were NOT co-ed.

The worst we encountered was an enormous overweight constantly farting/snoring man, who did not use the shower at all and so stank to high heaven - he slept in nothing but his undies and did not use a sleeping bag liner or anything - he shared a bunk with my daughter :!: He was also the only person on the Camino to complain that we had children ( he even asked the hospitalero to move us out of his room - a bunk room for 36 people!!!!) - and then he played his noisy handheld game until late into the night with its beeping and flashing lights when our kids had been quiet and respectful of him sleeping the afternoon away!

Shower curtains will be the least of your worries :wink:

Hi Hannah,
Your concerns are completely valid for a first-time female pilgrim. You and your friends are in for the time of your lives, but you are wise to take some precautions to ensure your safety and comfort on the Camino.

I share your sense of modesty and have worked out a few tricks during my many nights on the Camino.

You will need to bring a towel with you, so be sure it's big enough to cover everything you want covered. Paktowel is a well-known brand of quick dry towels, and I use a big one. A sarong will work as well and can double as a pillow cover. This takes care of things if a man walks into the wrong bathroom by mistake, and allows you to slip things on and off with modesty if you are concerned about billowing shower curtains or half doors.

Of course when you shower you will be taking your clothes with you and changing there, but I also do this when I go to the toilet in the morning. I sleep in a comfortable sports bra for modesty, and then need to change into a different one for walking. I do this inside the toilet stall, quickly, of course, in case someone is waiting to use it.

If you come across a co-ed bathroom without privacy in the individual shower stalls, you could always politely ask the men in the dorm room if you could have a women-only time period in the bathroom.

Every albergue is different, but there are only a couple of places I'd avoid due to privacy concerns in the shower: the municipal albergue in Najera, where the shower rooms are separate but you can see everything from the hall when the bathroom door opens up; and the new albergue in Terradillos de los Templarios (Los Templarios) which had no space for changing outside the shower stall. Same thing for La Mochila in Itero de la Vega and Meson El Acebo in (El Acebo). The municipal albergue in Navarrette has see-through glass shower doors, so I hung my large towel over it while I was inside.

In all cases listed above, there was also another albergue option available in town, which is common.

As for safety, there are two sides to this discussion. First, is the Camino safe? Yes, generally it is. And if you are always walking with someone else, you are even more safe. The other side is you - how you carry and conduct yourself so as not to appear as a victim. You seem to be strong and confident, and you will probably project this. I have put together a list of suggestions for women traveling alone to the Camino that may benefit you and your friends:

http://www.thecaminoexperience.com/womensafety.php

This list is not about being afraid on the Camino; it's about having your 'game face' on and projecting a confident demeanor that prevents anyone from thinking you are a potential victim.

Buen Camino, have a fantastic time!
Nancy

Hi Hannah,

I'm a young woman (21) walking alone this year as well. I wouldn't worry too much about these things. It's my second camino, the first I walked with my dad when I was 19, and it really is the safest place on earth. My dad has absolutely no fears about me going back on my own - he's just jealous that he doesn't get to start his third camino! And besides, you're not walking alone - the three of you will have loads of fun.

As far as nudity, I don't think you need to bother with a bathing suit. I'm quite modest as well but I don't remember ever feeling uncomfortable in the showering situations, at least not around men. All showers have a door or a curtain. The only time I found a translucent door was when the bathrooms were sex separated, and the only communal no-door shower I found was also a women-only bathroom. I doubt you'll run into the type of situation you want to avoid, and if worse comes to worst, you can always shower in your clothes and avoid doing laundry for the day :p

So tell your parents there's no reason to worry, and have a great camino.
Lindsey

http://www.thecaminoexperience.com/womensafety.php

This list is not about being afraid on the Camino; it's about having your 'game face' on and projecting a confident demeanor that prevents anyone from thinking you are a potential victim.

Buen Camino, have a fantastic time!
Nancy[/quote]

Thank you for this great list Nancy. It's both reassuring and informative :idea:

Thanks for all of your detailed advice, lists, links, etc. I really, really appreciate it.

I wasn't actually worried about safety (having been to Spain and Czech as a study abroad) but wanted direct reassurance I could quote to give my parents :) You know parents :)

I feel a lot better about the shower situation. Also, I'm not so worried if there are men who want to be among the "naked people" around me.....I may well laugh at them (haha), but it isn't skin off my back. My worries, though deep, really only apply to me being seen by men (and even then mostly below the waste). Everyone has different beliefs/comforts/etc. My roommate's boyfriend likes to hang out in our living room in his undies. I find it odd, I'm not offended. I'd never do that around a boy. Just different strokes for different folks. Knowing the details you all have told me, I should be able to avoid any that are both not private and coed. I'm 100% fine if it is coed or if it is not private. Not a biggie to me. If it is coed and private, it is private. If it is single sex and not private, then we all have the same parts, I'm really pretty comfortable. No different than me showering at the pool most days. Just my perspective, and hence all I'm "worried" about (though I do hope everyone gets to find ways to be comfortable froom their own, equally important, perspectives).

Thanks again for all the help. iBuen camino!

The thread has been "cleaned up" and some off topic posts have been deleted.
Please try to keep the thread on target and refrain from personal attacks and comments.
Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We just returned from Camino with me and my 12 yr old daughter.
You will settle into routine VERY quickly...

When you arrive (usually after lunch) go ahead and shower and wash clothes you just took off.

The showers are all great...take a large pack towel, flip flops and get dressed after.
The clothes you wear that night will be what you wear to walk in the next day avoiding showers in morning.

You should find a place to grab a pastry or fruit for morning as Spain doesn't eat breakfast like us Southern gals do and we walked an hour or more each morning till we stopped so the snacks kept us going till then.

Sleeping...I hate to report we were robbed in Portamarin. I had my money in a small roll up bag inside my sleeping bag. I think they may have unzipped the bottom of my bag??Whatever the case it brought tears and shaking from me till I realized three others also got robbed that night. Inside job my husband thinks as there were "security camera's" everywhere. I must say...WEAR your money . I read every blog and thought by keeping it in my sleeper I would be fine...but after hiking 28 km's I must have slept right through it.

I used my Debit to only get small amounts of money after that. But I must say...the Trip was soooo great that looking back now it was a small dark spot to a lovely Camino. The Canadians and Americans and Irish we met were so encouraging and by the next day (and a stay in a private room NOT in a big town ) our confidence in humanity was back up.

If you are going with friends...take turns keeping someone in charge.

While walking and using the guide book we never got caught needing to use the "woods" but always have tissue with you!

AS you reach Santiago the signage starts to get more mysterious...you look for the Camino shell in manholes, sidewalks, etc! If you get to talking too much you could miss a turn so always have your eyes to the road even if your mouth is moving with some great new friend from Holland, Russia, etc etc.

Have a blast!

CClan from Tennessee

The Jesus Y Maria albergue in Pamplona had a large shared bathroom. Showers had cubicles so no real problems.

The muni in Fromista was the only one open (late fall) and unlocked only one bathroom. It was a bit difficult to maintain privacy using the showers, and it might have been a bit awkward for some. People made accomodation and respected each other as mature adults so it worked out fine.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back