• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie seeking wisdom and advice

Doolin

Traveling November 5th, Starting 6th
Time of past OR future Camino
November 2018
Hey guys,

I'm Paul from Ireland. Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong area and for the randomness of the message.

I know very little of the Camino but what I do know I am already in love. With personal circumstances I have a two week window to come and walk it. Hoping to start arrive on November 5th. I was hoping to start in St Jean. This will all be very last second organizing. It brings the following problems.
1. No direct flights from Ireland to Biarritz
2. Soloution is to fly to Bordeaux but arriving there on the 7th.
Are trains regular to Biarritz and cheap? Can anyone advice me on this?

I will not book a flight home until I'm on the route and I'm hoping to walk 200km odd. No rush and no goals to gain a certain distance. I am an experienced enough walker but rusty at the moment. I can feel the Camino calling and there is a strong strong urge to get there soon.

I'm in the market for trail runners as I only have boots. I also only have a 70L bag and a 25L, so should I source a 40-45L bag and pack light?

I'm extremely excited about getting there although nothing is booked yet. I hope you guys can inspire me,

Paul

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome! At this time of year you may be glad of your boots. I always walk in boots, some people do. Also you don't have much time to shop for and wear-in new shoes. If you don't want to shell out for a new bag, you can fill the bottom part of your 70litre with bubble wrap and cinch in all the straps.

Hi Paul you and I live on the same lump of rock in the Atlantic. You have picked the worst time for us to do this thing, as the flights finished a few weeks ago.

1/Train
Go on to the Rome2Rio site on the internet that will fix your problem and get your etickets

2/ The Napoleon route closes next Thursday DO NOT TRY TO CROSS EVEN THOUGH YOU PROBABLY CAN you may be risking the lives of others not just your own. You should cross via the Valcarlos route.

3/ Work it out mate you have a 75L pack, you pack 45L gear that leaves 35L air!!!
Have a great camino an go light on the vino collapseo it makes the mornings better!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2/ The Napoleon route closes next Thursday DO NOT TRY TO CROSS EVEN THOUGH YOU PROBABLY CAN you may be risking the lives of others not just your own. You should cross via the Valcarlos route.

3/ Work it out mate you have a 75L pack, you pack 45L gear that leaves 35L air!!!
Have a great camino an go light on the vino collapseo it makes the mornings better!

I'm not familiar with the different names on different routes. Does this mean I should not start in SJPP?

I don't have 45L of gear. 70L is far to big and 25L to small. is a 45L bag advisable?

Course being Irish you wont mind me pointing out that 75-35=30 and not 35? :p :cool:

I'm not familiar with the different names on different routes. Does this mean I should not start in SJPP?

I don't have 45L of gear. 70L is far to big and 25L to small. is a 45L bag advisable?

Course being Irish you wont mind me pointing out that 75-35=30 and not 35? :p:cool:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Paul i did not realise that you had included the side pockets in your sizing If I were you I would get a guide book and do a lot of swotting before make many more decisions. They can be bought on this site. What is wrong with your 75L I am an old man and that is what I used Have a good one

@Doolin
I am in favour of getting a 40 l. bag, which is what I have carried on camino in the last three Novembers. It will carry everything you need and there is a good chance that you'll be able to use it as a carry-on and not risk your gear getting lost. Just don't take a pocket knife on the plane. I have always worn boots on my caminos, so if they are comfortable you might wear them. They will not be too hot in November. Buen camino.

There are two main routes over the Pyrenees. One is the so called Route Napoleon, and the othe is the Valcarlos route, with Valcarlos being the name of the place you’ll probably stay on your first night walking, as the Napoleon route is closed as of November 1.
The Pilgrim Office in St Jean can sort you on a route and a list of places to stay after St Jean, but you should, as has been suggested, get a guide and read it.

Best,
Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you can swing it, I’d get a smaller pack, say 36-38 liters. The problem with using a pack that is twice what you need is all that extra space believe it or not. I’d be concerned about things shifting around in there. The Valcarlos route starts in SJPDP and takes you through the village of that name on the way to Roncesvalles. It doesn’t get quite as high in altitude, although you still do your share of climbing. If you can get a flight to Paris you could take the TGV train to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPDP.

Hi Paul and Rector-- I was just hiking on your "large rock in the Atlantic" in Sept and got caught up in that crazy windstorm Ali up hiking from Carrik-a-Rede to Port Rush. -- Beautiful walk, though I should have just hunkered down that windy day-- there were gusts up to 80 mph. It was stupid of us to keep walking.

Anyway... Paul, if your pack fits well just pack it half full. Buy a guide. I like Brierly for a start, just remember you don't have to stop where his stopping points are. -- In 2016, my son and I flew into Paris (from Toronto), and then took a night train down to Bayonne, then a morning train to SJPP. The Napoleon Pass is discussed at length on different threads here on the forum, suffice to say, there are two routes from SJPP to Roncevalles, one goes over the mountains, one is lower down where there is less wind and snow. (Less wind is good. See above.)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hey Paul. Have you checked the flights to San Sebastian or Bilbao? From there it's quite easy to get to St Jean. I use Skyscanner, it shows you all the options. Or, get to London and fly to Biarritz. I'm flying London to Biarritz on 16 November and got a really cheap flight. I only ever wear boots all year round, and if it's rainy you'll be glad of them - especially if they're already worn in. Save money - bring your big bag, just pack light. People spend a lot of time trying to shave ounces off their load. If you only bring essentials, you'll manage whatever the weight easily. Good luck, you'll have a wonderful time - beware though, the Camino is addictive!

Hey guys,

I'm Paul from Ireland. Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong area and for the randomness of the message.

I know very little of the Camino but what I do know I am already in love. With personal circumstances I have a two week window to come and walk it. Hoping to start arrive on November 5th. I was hoping to start in St Jean. This will all be very last second organizing. It brings the following problems.

I will not book a flight home until I'm on the route and I'm hoping to walk 200km odd. No rush and no goals to gain a certain distance. I am an experienced enough walker but rusty at the moment. I can feel the Camino calling and there is a strong strong urge to get there soon.

I'm in the market for trail runners as I only have boots. I also only have a 70L bag and a 25L, so should I source a 40-45L bag and pack light?

I'm extremely excited about getting there although nothing is booked yet. I hope you guys can inspire me,

Paul
Hi Paul
If you can afford another pack., get a smaller one., especially if you intend to complete the camino at a later date - you’ll find that all you need is approx 35l pack(give or take). Being a colder period ., 35-40l would be ideal (allows rooms for gloves, warmer gear for mornings, spare socks etc).. The large one you mentioned is very big.
You haven’t mentioned that you need to carry stacks of medications or specialty toiletry items., so there will be plenty of space in smaller (btw- you won’t need any mats or tents )but a light sleeping bag would be an advantage as although some places provide blankets ., you might be unlucky and find a place without much warmth.
Stick with your boots this time as you know they fit well., and decide after you finish, whether next time you’d rather trail runners. If you decide along the way., you could pick up runners in Pamplona or other larger places en route.
Very excited for you.
Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Extra space is like a vacuum it SUCKS up extraneous stuff. Most folks with overly large rucksacks end up toting more than they bargained for or planned on.

I agree with those who suggest a smaller pack, in the 35 - 40 liter range. Larger than 40 liters, you are probably packing more than you need. I DO make a possible exception for colder weather clothing or a sleeping bag. However, if you are not wearing the extra clothing, it can usually be lashed to the top of your pack.

Both the Napoleon Pass and Valcarlos routes start at Saint Jean Pied de Port. The NP is closed for the season from 1 November through at least the end of March, as it accumulates snow and can be treacherous. The Valcarlos route has more paved surfaces and is less prone to weather related dangers.

FLy into Bordeaux. Take the train to Bayonne, and then the TER #62 local train from there to SJPdP. Train fares are not overly expensive.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

Paul
Pack light, it's generally recommended to not carry more than 10% of body weight as a maximum limit - but the lighter the better. There are usually washing and drying facilities in most Albergues. Hand wash is often all that's needed, spin and hang dry or use dryer - share dryer with others to save costs.
Warm up well before setting off and after every stop of more than 10 mins. Warm down stretch at end of day's walk. Shin splints were common to many on my Camino, so be careful not to push pace or 'keep up with others'. Listen to your body, stop and change socks two or three times a day.
Have fun, smile a lot, make many friends along the way. Take time to smell the flowers. It helps to be flexible and tolerant in the dormitories, as it can be challenging at times. Be prepared to be surprised by how the Camino can affect you.
Mark

@Doolin
I am in favour of getting a 40 l. bag, which is what I have carried on camino in the last three Novembers Just don't take a pocket knife on the plane..
''Last 3 Novembers'' WOW this is very sound advice and I will take it on board, thank you. Also learned the hard way after flying home from Canada after camping with the pocket knife lol

The Pilgrim Office in St Jean can sort you on a route and a list of places to stay after St Jean, but you should, as has been suggested, get a guide and read it.
Thank you, I went to my local library last week and have what seems to be a highly recommended Irish book

If you can swing it, I’d get a smaller pack, say 36-38 liters. The problem with using a pack that is twice what you need is all that extra space believe it or not. I’d be concerned about things shifting around in there.
You've reminded me of the shifting weight. It can be very nasty and I don't know how I ever forgot.

Hey Paul. Have you checked the flights to San Sebastian or Bilbao? From there it's quite easy to get to St Jean.
Thank you, I booked Bilbao today for the day I wanted to fly and it was affordable at 75euro. I wont budget but I am aware I wont be spending much money and have appreciated money and its worth. Thank you for your suggestion.

You haven’t mentioned that you need to carry stacks of medications or specialty toiletry items., so there will be plenty of space in smaller (btw- you won’t need any mats or tents )but a light sleeping bag would be an advantage as although some places provide blankets .
Thank you Annie, I am always prepared in that sense, Ive got TP in the boot of my car and training bags for that moment least expected. The light sleeping bag is already primed and ready.

Warm up well before setting off and after every stop of more than 10 mins. Warm down stretch at end of day's walk. Shin splints were common to many on my Camino, so be careful not to push pace or 'keep up with others'. Listen to your body, stop and change socks two or three times a day.
Have fun, smile a lot, make many friends along the way. Take time to smell the flowers. It helps to be flexible and tolerant in the dormitories, as it can be challenging at times. Be prepared to be surprised by how the Camino can affect you.
Mark
Thank you but I'm that idiot that never listens to his body and always performs strong but suffers badly no matter what the break or tear. However life and nature and deep breaths can help slow me down and thank you so much.

Thank you everyone who has replied so far.
I am flying into Bilbao at 10:40 Monday November 5.
I have seen a bus to Beyonne for €11 over 3 hours or a train advertised here to Biarritz for €7 over an hour.
All info on this will help greatly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
when in doubt, always use this;

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Bilbao/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

it will show you many diverse opportunities, and rthen you can go for the luck of the Irish and chance it !!

seems you have already a good solution,

13 days will get you as far as Burgos, hopefully,,, (from SJPdP)

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing some of the walk for some time. I have read so much and tried to research, but I just get confused and cold feet (lol)
Good luck and hope you have an amazing time.

I've been thinking about doing some of the walk for some time. I have read so much and tried to research, but I just get confused and cold feet (lol)

It's very normal to get cold feet, it's a big adventure, and with all adventures carries a mixture of experiences. The good and positive ones vastly outweigh the more difficult ones. I decided to do my first walk about two weeks before I went, and other than finding this forum and reading about it a day or two before I left, I went with a very basic photocopy of a couple of pages from Lonely Planet. I only knew about the CdeF, and thought it had to be done from St Jean to Santiago walking each stage per day and staying in albergues! I soon learned that there are many Caminos and ways of doing it. I wonder if lots of research might make things more confusing with all the options and ideas out there? I'm happy to answer any questions and be an encourager if you want to private message me, or keep chatting via this thread.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
''Last 3 Novembers'' WOW this is very sound advice and I will take it on board, thank you. Also learned the hard way after flying home from Canada after camping with the pocket knife lol

Thank you, I went to my local library last week and have what seems to be a highly recommended Irish book

You've reminded me of the shifting weight. It can be very nasty and I don't know how I ever forgot.

Thank you, I booked Bilbao today for the day I wanted to fly and it was affordable at 75euro. I wont budget but I am aware I wont be spending much money and have appreciated money and its worth. Thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you Annie, I am always prepared in that sense, Ive got TP in the boot of my car and training bags for that moment least expected. The light sleeping bag is already primed and ready.

Thank you but I'm that idiot that never listens to his body and always performs strong but suffers badly no matter what the break or tear. However life and nature and deep breaths can help slow me down and thank you so much.

Thank you everyone who has replied so far.
I am flying into Bilbao at 10:40 Monday November 5.
I have seen a bus to Beyonne for €11 over 3 hours or a train advertised here to Biarritz for €7 over an hour.
All info on this will help greatly.
Enjoy and ... buen Camino :)

This is where you don those cold feet with some good socks (woollen) and into some boots you go and actually get cracking ..
Talking about it is half way getting there...
Dreaming about and actually doing it is few steps apart.....

Last edited:
Well took the plunge today, bought some walking boots. Are there places along the route where you can just camp if you don't get to a town or pass one? Pierre, thank you for your encouragement and your help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Macroomi,

Welcome to the forum.
There are a few ways of responding to your question.
Try doing a search of the forum to see whether this question has been answered before. There are lots of people who want to know about camping, and usually there are lively discussions and different points of view.

You might want to start a new discussion also, since this isn’t one about camping, but about everything else. The original poster’s questions might get sidetracked by a discussion of the pros and cons of camping.

All the best,
Paul

Hi Macroomi,

Welcome to the forum.
There are a few ways of responding to your question.
Try doing a search of the forum to see whether this question has been answered before. There are lots of people who want to know about camping, and usually there are lively discussions and different points of view.

You might want to start a new discussion also, since this isn’t one about camping, but about everything else. The original poster’s questions might get sidetracked by a discussion of the pros and cons of camping.

All the best,
Paul
Ah, ok thanks for that advice Paul. My apologies to the original poster.

Has anyone ever travelled from Bilbao to SJPDP? Have you booked tickets online or just got them at the bus?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone ever travelled from Bilbao to SJPDP? Have you booked tickets online or just got them at the bus?
I was just wandering along that coast and bused fm Bilbao to San Sebastian, then caught the metro (note METRO) to Hendaye/Irun.
The metro and train stations are adjacent in Hend/Irun so I then trained to Biarritz Station, from where the valley rattler leaves for SJ.
There is probably an easier way to do it, but I was exploring, with time on my hands. I did all this in one day and am glad I did.
Good travelling,
Regards
Gerard

There is probably an easier way to do it, but I was exploring, with time on my hands. I did all this in one day and am glad I did.
Good travelling,
Regards
Gerard
Thank Gerard,

Ive been looking at the bus and train times and they really don't suit. Ill be either hanging around in stations or airports for a long time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.