• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie - setting off from Roncesvalles 2nd Sept

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I'm starting the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles on 2nd Sept, my first camino. Feeling both excited and nervous. Is anybody else walking then?
Angel ,
Welcome to the Forum! You must be very excited as you soon will be setting off.

Although all may not be able to walk with you
we who have walked before will be anxious to follow your journey in the coming days; do keep in touch.

Godspeed, Buen camino, and in the truest sense,
Ultreia.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One step at a time!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Angel
Excited yes but no need to be nervous you will meet new friends on your way. I am walking a short one this year starting from Burgos on 14th September so may see you somewhere. Have a great time.
Buen Camino

Hi Angel
Excited yes but no need to be nervous you will meet new friends on your way. I am walking a short one this year starting from Burgos on 14th September so may see you somewhere. Have a great time.
Buen Camino
Hope to run into you on the way. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello, I'm starting the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles on 2nd Sept, my first camino. Feeling both excited and nervous. Is anybody else walking then?
So jealous of you being able to get there so soon after all the lockdowns everywhere! Have a wonderful time. Buen Camino.

So good to read that there are still enough people waliking!

Last week with Spain going on "code orange", the Dutch government advised against visiting Spain. And so I had to rethink my plan... And i will go as well, most likely walking on the 8th of Sept.

See you on the Camino Frances!
Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So good to read that there are still enough people waliking!

Last week with Spain going on "code orange", the Dutch government advised against visiting Spain. And so I had to rethink my plan... And i will go as well, most likely walking on the 8th of Sept.

See you on the Camino Frances!
Buen Camino!
How wonderful that you are still coming to Spain. Buen Camino.

Spain daily CoViD infection rates are now at 8,000/day which is almost back to the height of the initial peak back in Spring which was 9,000/day - Ivar highlighted this in his recent video post.
The new spike has been caused by holidaying visitors - so why on Earth would you still come???
Don’t be selfish or foolhardy just leave it for now...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree that in Spain at this moment it is probably much easier to get infected with Covid.
but it seems that the chance of dying is much, much lower than it was during the first wave.

This chart of Diagnosed Cases vs Deaths in Spain looks very comforting:
Infections are in black, Deaths are in orange (source: Health Ministry of Spain)
Period of time: 14 March - 1 September 2020.

muertos.jpg

As of now, probably more people die per day by drowning in Mediterranean Sea on holidays than from Covid-19.
This is probably the reason why the Spanish government hasn't closed the borders yet, and also insists that the children should attend schools in person. The virus in Spain and in the most of Europe is not so lethal anymore (which of course may change in the future).

Last edited by a moderator:
The new spike has been caused by holidaying visitors
Can you provide a source for this? What do you mean by "visitors" - Spaniards on vacation, or foreigners?
The virus in Spain and in the most of Europe is not so lethal anymore
The virus is as lethal as before. A different (younger) segment of the population is currently being infected more.

I agree that in Spain at this moment it is probably much easier to get infected with Covid.
but it seems that the chance of dying is much, much lower than it was during the first wave.
The virus is as lethal as before. A different (younger) segment of the population is currently being infected more.
Exactly right. And not dying isn't the only thing to think about with this virus. No one knows yet what long term effects those who have even mild symptoms may have. I'm not interested in jeopardizing my long term health (and Camino walking years) to find out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino. I'm sure you will meet people on the way, despite the current situation. There could be less albergues that are open, but there will also be far less people walking than normal, so there shouldn't be any difficulty finding accommodation. Prices might be higher than usual, and not all bars along the route will be open.
During my holidays in Spain and Portugal recently, I met several pilgrims who all spoke well of their experiences, many of whom started in Roncesvalles or other places. The Portuguese way pilgrims started in places like Lisbon, Porto or Braga.
Take extra precautions in towns and be extra respectful while passing through villages, where many people might be fearful of strangers passing through. By keeping to the face mask protocol while walking through towns and villages will help local people feel more at ease.

I also walked a year ago and weather was lovely and number of pilgrims very high. I was #682 to get my Compostela in Santiago and also had to wait an extra day to get the train to Barcelona. Had hoped to spend the weekend there before flying home to Canada 🇨🇦. Everyone has their own time and reason for walking the Camino. Please respect suggested protocols and be safe! Buen Camino!
NancyLee 🚶🏻‍♀️🎒

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back