• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie Stages!

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
It was hard but i finally decided which route i prefer doing. But wondering what those of you that did this camino think about my distances choices. I don't want to do too many long distances. So after deciding which way to go, i got set on doing some of the senda litoral from Porto, then camino Central, variante espiritual and back to central again. I will have some days before and after the camino to enjoy myself and rest. I dont know how many hours will take me each day, but i am planning to be done walking the Camino by lunch time most of the stages. This is my first camino.
What do you think?

Day1: Porto-Angeiras 21km

2:Angeiras- Rates 23km

3:Rates-Barcelos 16km

4:Barcelos-Casa da Fernanda 22km

5:Casa da Fernanda-Ponte de Lima 14km

6: PdL- Rubiães 20km

7:Rubiães- Valença or Tui 20km

8:Valença- O Porrino 19km

9:O Porrino- Cessantes 20km

10:Cessantes- Pontevedra 18km

11: Pontevedra- Combarro 13km

12:Combarro- Armenteira 10km

13:Armenteira- Ridabumia 9km

14:Ridabumia- Vila nova de Arousa 18km

15:VNdA- Padron or Teo or Milladouro ?
(Boat + 14km to Teo)

16,17: Teo-Compostela 11km ?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would suggest that you walk along the river then the coast up to Vila do Conde before going inland.

1st stage Porto - Labruge 19.07 km
2nd stage - Labruge - Rates 25.71 km

I would suggest that you walk along the river then the coast up to Vila do Conde before going inland.

1st stage Porto - Labruge 19.07 km
2nd stage - Labruge - Rates 25.71 km
Let me check where is located again. i was planning to stop before Labruge. Is Labruge better?

Let me check where is located again. i was planning to stop before Labruge. Is Labruge better?
Oh, you are correct. I didn't realize that Angeiras is on the Senda Litoral. It is just before Labruge. If you stop there you will add 2 km to your next day's walk.
You might consider stopping in São Miguel de Arcos instead of Rates. It's 3.9 miles between Los Arcos and Rates.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes i thought about labruge too but heard someone here on another post saying that the albergue there was closed. And the albergue there is nice too. Shame. I hope by September it is open i could consider it instead of the camping angeiras. I am also planning sending my pack most of the longer stages or hills.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I suggest though that you have a plan, but be prepared to throw it out as you start walking.
That is for sure. So many moving parts. Between nature and us not being in control, this is just a sketch for the exploration to come.

Yes i thought about labruge too but heard someone here on another post saying that the albergue there was closed. And the albergue there is nice too. Shame. I hope by September it is open i could consider it instead of the camping angeiras. I am also planning sending my pack most of the longer stages or hills.
I stayed in a guest house in Labruge that was very nice, and can be reserved on booking.com

I stayed in a guest house in Labruge that was very nice, and can be reserved on booking.com
This looks really nice. It is amazing how much you know about the camino. 🙂Seems like you did all them. I am trying not to walk up to Labruge, planning to make it shorter that first day but feel that stay at Matozinhos is too short for that exciting first day especially that I also will be without packback so i think i will be ok passing Matozinhos.
it is crazy about some of the albergues i want to stay are closed. I also would like to go to Sleep in Herbon instead of Padron. Thats why i put an ? In that last stage as still figure it out what will be reasonable and most beautiful. What do you think? That if Herbon will be hopefully open in September! 🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Renascer!
I am a newbie but here is my first day doing coastal/central and Espiritual !
My first day out from Porto i am staying here (owners are said to great and helpful)
CARAVELA (it is an apartment not albergue £34 for the night) Rua Almeiriga Norte, 2764
4455-418 Perafita (booking .com)
Portugal I
It's approx 17km according to first stage map on Gronze; and right on the Camino GPX track from the Dutch fraternity of St James :)(i hope)!
Day two is about the same 17km to Vila do Conde(my poor feet will let me know when i walk it ha!ha!)
Here are all my stages;distances are what i got from Gronze!
Hope this helps a bit.
All the best
Woody
PORTO TO
Perafita17 klm
VILA DO CONDE17 klm
ESPOSENDE21 KLM
VIANA DE CASTELO27klm but 2day stay
CAMINHA 17klm
OIA 24klm
BAIONA18 klm 3 day stay
VIGO20 klm
REDONDELA20klm
PONTEVEDERA20klm
COMBARRO12klm 2 day stay
A ARMENTEIRA12klm
VILANOVA DE AROUSA23klm 2 day stay
PADRON5klm
SANTIAGO 25klm 4 day stay but flight cancelled so if in good nick will try Finisterre Muxia

Last edited:
Hi Renaser!
I am a newbie but here is my first day doing coastal/central and Espiritual !
My first day out from Porto i am staying here (owners are said to great and helpful)
CARAVELA (it is an apartment not albergue £34 for the night) Rua Almeiriga Norte, 2764
4455-418 Perafita (booking .com)
Portugal I
It's approx 17km according to first stage map on Gronze; and right on the Camino GPX track from the Dutch fraternity of St James :)(i hope)!
Day two is about the same 17km to Vila do Conde(my poor feet will let me know when i walk it ha!ha!)
Here are all my stages;distances are what i got from Gronze!
Hope this helps a bit.
All the best
Woody
PORTO TO
Perafita17 klm
VILA DO CONDE17 klm
ESPOSENDE21 KLM
VIANA DE CASTELO27klm but 2day stay
CAMINHA 17klm
OIA 24klm
BAIONA18 klm 3 day stay
VIGO20 klm
REDONDELA20klm
PONTEVEDERA20klm
COMBARRO12klm 2 day stay
A ARMENTEIRA12klm
VILANOVA DE AROUSA23klm 2 day stay
PADRON5klm
SANTIAGO 25klm 4 day stay but flight cancelled so if in good nick will try Finisterre Muxia
Thats nice. Thank you. Seems like you picked good cities to stay longer. I instead will be using the extra days before and after. Algarve and Barcelona. Im very confused with the end of my stages... if after boat ride from Pontecesures go to Padron or Hebron or Even Milladouro. Not sure where would make sense to sleep. I dont need to Rush to Compostela for the noon mass as i will sleep there two nights and will have the next day to go to the mass. So I don't necessarely need to be closer to SDC the day before to walk less and get on time for mass. So i am wondering which place i should try to not miss in that area and sleep there.

Regarding stays in Padron, Hebron or Milladouro;i asked members for suggestions on good places to stay specifically for the Coastal / Espiritual and on to the central.
Baiona and Padron came up for me as good stop overs!
But you have specific reasons for your stay;so just ask and someone will respond!
Best of luck
Woody

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Regarding stays in Padron, Hebron or Milladouro;i asked members for suggestions on good places to stay specifically for the Coastal / Espiritual and on to the central.
Baiona and Padron came up for me as good stop overs!
But you have specific reasons for your stay;so just ask and someone will respond!
Best of luck
Woody
Yes you are right i hear a lot of people liking those cities. I think my heart want to stay in Herbon monastery but the fact that is not open or could be open, makes me undecided. Im sure as it get closer to September i will know better and while i am there also is when i will know for sure. Problem with this virus is that one can not just go with the flow as some places needs to be reserved ahead. Specially the ones that most people like. I am sure from your stages you will also enjoy your camino. Buen Camino.

Just a thought when i take the boat; it was leaving at 7 am but now 8 am as captain changed departure for me as in early October on the 8th dawn isn't until 8.30 am.
I cant see in poor light let alone the dark;so boat ride in the dark would have been pointless.
If you find out the sailing time you could have almost a full day in Padron.
For me i should be there by mid morning; and spend the day exploring; cant book in to accommodation till three.
Woody
PS Just listened to your last post; already booked a night at the Monastery in Armentiera ( the sisters were kind to me as i couldn't manage at the albergue;i am as blind as a bat ha!ha!))

Last edited:
11: Pontevedra- Combarro 13km

12:Combarro- Armenteira 10km

13:Armenteira- Ridabumia 9km

14:Ridabumia- Vila nova de Arousa 18km
Your Spiritual Variant section looks fine. Finding a place between Padron and Santiago a little trickier because the boat ride from Vila Nova can take much of the morning. The key is how close do you want to be to Santiago for the next day -- or what time you want to arrive in the Praza do Obradoiro in front of the catherdral.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your Spiritual Variant section looks fine. Finding a place between Padron and Santiago a little trickier because the boat ride from Vila Nova can take much of the morning. The key is how close do you want to be to Santiago for the next day -- or what time you want to arrive in the Praza do Obradoiro in front of the catherdral.
Thank you Ken. Yes the Variante Espiritual i dont want to rush. Yes i think the boat ride will dictate my next place. So i am thinking my best bet will be sleep Padron. I go slow next day to get SDC later in the afternoon. For now im keeping in mind Padron or Herbon. Lots of more powerful things to decide before me. I can not compete with them. Lol 🙂Tides of ocean(Boat), Covid (wether Herbon opens) and even my legs! We can only try to plan... i am thinking these two places might be beautiful to stay comparing to the other ones close to them.

Just a thought when i take the boat; it was leaving at 7 am but now 8 am as captain changed departure for me as in early October on the 8th dawn isn't until 8.30 am.
I cant see in poor light let alone the dark;so boat ride in the dark would have been pointless.
If you find out the sailing time you could have almost a full day in Padron.
For me i should be there by mid morning; and spend the day exploring; cant book in to accommodation till three.
Woody
PS Just listened to your last post; already booked a night at the Monastery in Armentiera ( the sisters were kind to me as i couldn't manage at the albergue;i am as blind as a bat ha!ha!))
When u plan to be in Padron?

When u plan to be in Padron?
The 8th October that's if i stick to my itinerary;all sleeps booked already.
But i do have free cancellation on them.
I suppose if i have a big problem or injury on the trail; i won't lose a massive amount of cash!
Woody

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 8th October that's if i stick to my itinerary;all sleeps booked already.
But i do have free cancellation on them.
I suppose if i have a big problem or injury on the trail; i won't lose a massive amount of cash!
Woody
Organized lady!!! Good for you ! With this virus the minimum is to get the free cancellation safety route. I already had my flight changed once.

Don't be surprised or disappointed if the Camino has other plans for your trip. Be prepared to adapt. My well thought-out plans started to go awry on day 2 and I ended with a brilliant Camino, much better than I could ever have imagined.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HA!HA!HA!
Yeah i am a six foot 2 inch lady; with a beard and tattoos and a very deep voice!
You were obviously able to detect my feminine side.
Take care be safe
Woody
Omg Sorry Woody about that. I have no idea why i thought you were a woman! Crazy of me! And people also think that i am a man by the name here. I guess our brains (at least mine) can read avatar names and attach something to it. I need to get better at that and check this nonsense of my brain. You made me observe this today. Thank you for making me aware.

Last edited:
For your first few days you might want to take it a little easier and walk

Porto - Matosinhos 10.42 km
Matoshinhos - Vila do Conde 23.25 km
Vila do Conde - Rates 15.81 km

Then do some longer stages later on between Pontevedra and Vila nova de Arousa .
Or you could do:
Porto to Matosinhos: 11.1 km (distance from Camino Ninja)
Matosinhos to Vila Chã: 15.5 km (distance from Camino Ninja)
Vila Chã to Rates: 20 km (distance from Trailsmart)

I expect that is what I will do next time I am walking the Camino Portugues with "newbies". For what it is worth, the albergue in Vila Chã has a nice little museum attached dedicated to the local fishing industry.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back