• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie starting 23 April from Pamplona

Tina B

Time of past OR future Camino
walked Camino Frances 23 April- 23 May (2018), Camino Portuguese 2018/19
This forum is fab. I'm already a fan and read it everyday! I'm coming from UK to Biarritz to Pamplona, aiming to try the whole Camino with my pack under 6k! Just got to get walking poles in Pamplona. They say'the Camino provides' so hears hoping Caminoteca provides...! Biggest worry is sleeping in noisy mixed dorms as I'm a light sleeper even using earplugs

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tina, I'm so jealous! You will have such fun. I'm a light sleeper too, but found that I was tired enough usually not to have problems falling asleep in the albergues. Occasionally I took a break from the albergue scene and got a pension room to myself. It's not that expensive and you can find this option in many villages along the way. Enjoy your camino!

Tina, I'm so jealous! You will have such fun. I'm a light sleeper too, but found that I was tired enough usually not to have problems falling asleep in the albergues. Occasionally I took a break from the albergue scene and got a pension room to myself. It's not that expensive and you can find this option in many villages along the way. Enjoy your camino!
Thanks and your posts have been most helpful!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
T Biggest worry is sleeping in noisy mixed dorms as I'm a light sleeper even using earplugs
Hello Tina, and welcome to the forum!
Just a couple of points - firstly, remember that - from time to time or to recover from a bad night - you can always stay in inexpensive hostals and hotels [18 to 40 Euros] but you will miss the friendship of the albergue! Secondly, remember that some albergues have separate, private rooms - you can always ask [16 to 25 euros].
You are going to have a wonderful time ... and getting away from the snow and grey skies we've been having for weeks - I envy you!
And you start on April 23rd? St. George's day! Very appropriate for a Brit! The spring flowers will be filling the meadows!
Buen camino, dear Tina!

Hello Tina, and welcome to the forum!
Just a couple of points - firstly, remember that - from time to time or to recover from a bad night - you can always stay in inexpensive hostals and hotels [18 to 40 Euros] but you will miss the friendship of the albergue! Secondly, remember that some albergues have separate, private rooms - you can always ask [16 to 25 euros].
You are going to have a wonderful time ... and getting away from the snow and grey skies we've been having for weeks - I envy you!
And you start on April 23rd? St. George's day! Very appropriate for a Brit! The spring flowers will be filling the meadows!
Buen camino, dear Tina!
Thank you. Yes, I'm hoping to 'stop and smell the flowers' but weather forecast is still rain... However, time for that to change. Hope so, as I've limited clothing, but have lightweight waterproofs for windy days otherwise a poncho!

Great! Oh, the sun will be shining for you!
Incidentally, some folk [including me!] find that they sweat so much under waterproofs that they might just as well get wet with rain. Sorry - men "sweat", ladies "perspire"!!
But just see how you get on: hopefully you won't need it at all.
S.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Tina, I'm a fellow Brit walking at the same (ish) time as you so hopefully we'll meet up at some point. Keep an eye out for a chubby beardy guy jettisoning various items from his pack at the base of each hill while quietly mumbling about how he should have had a fortnight in benidorm instead..:D

Hi, Tina! I want to underline what Stephen Nicholls says about perspiring or sweating under a poncho. I perspired even under a special poncho which supposedly lets you breathe under it and gave it away. For years now I have been using an umbrella which doubles as a sunshade and wear long trousers which get wet up to the knees and dry quickly while you have a coffee pause in some bar along the way.

Have buen camino whatever you chose to wear!

Hi, Tina! I want to underline what Stephen Nicholls says about perspiring or sweating under a poncho. I perspired even under a special poncho which supposedly lets you breathe under it and gave it away. For years now I have been using an umbrella which doubles as a sunshade and wear long trousers which get wet up to the knees and dry quickly while you have a coffee pause in some bar along the way.

Have buen camino whatever you chose to wear!
Guess you are right and I'm happy to have wet legs... but my waterproofs are featherweight and a micro umbrella is still heavier than nearly all my clothes!! Unless you know of one that's light and doesn't turn inside out? I'm 54kgs so trying to take 5.5k max

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The umbrella I use is the trekking umbrella which can also be bought through Ivar - here is its link to the shop:

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella

where you find the product description. It weighs 400 gr and has a diametre of 110 cm. Contrary to the photos in the ad, all the umbrellas sold by Ivar (and the one I have) are silver coated on the outside for protection from the sun and black inside. I have used mine in very strong winds and it has never turned over.

The latest model has hands free attachments which I have never yet used, so cannot comment upon. The advantage of such an umbrella as a sunshade is of course that it provides shade for your whole upper body. No hat while the umbrella is up, so your head can breathe.

I carry mine slung over my shoulder such that it is easily reachable when suddenly needed.

There is a thread somewhere in/on this forum about umbrellas.....
And another one on the famous pack weight/body weight......

Anyway I wish you a lot of courage and that your camino be a positive experience!
Buen Camino!

Hi,

When I did the Camino Portuguese last year I would actually share a private twin room with people I just met on the road. If you share a private room you pay roughly the same as a dorm bed.

Enjoy the Camino. And I might see you up the road as I'm starting to walk on the 13th from SJPdP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tina I'm starting in SJPP on the 18th so we may bump into each other, this is my second Camino from SJPP I do sweat in waterproofs and hats and don't like having a hood up so I'm trying this one and leaving my poncho behind but taking a waterproof coat.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.c...s-c369/light-trek-ultra-umbrella-p7974/s40129 its just arrived today and ive managed to rig it to my orange osprey rucksack ok. Its a red one so if you see me say hello.
Don't stress to much about gear it can be sorted on the way, You are right to keep the weight down. Have a great time.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.